Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol what makes this so good is the Slate article is an amazing, extremely well-sourced takedown of the whole VC nonsense, and Fischer clearly didn't read a single word of it and instead immediately began shrieking about the threat to his privilege WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THE ARTICLE IS ABOUT.

loving scurrying cockroach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Aaaaaa! AAAAAA!!!!!

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1635449541016145921

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

probably nothing

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1635481386311368704

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got an email from my bank today reassuring me that my account is FDIC insured and please don't take out the money Lol.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Remember for tomorrow. It will be weighted less now. But an increase is an increase.
https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1633110490753712128?t=FnVcueYy9MvhD92gX9uqMA&s=19

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1635331043216736256

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
These titans of industry are dumb as poo poo lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/NateAFischer/status/1635104350472376320

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

In Training posted:

I got an email from my bank today reassuring me that my account is FDIC insured and please don't take out the money Lol.

A few years ago when I was client-hunting I signed up for all these financial apps for cheap resume cred then promptly forgot about them.

This was one of them; they've emailed me twice today:

quote:

To our valued customers,

By now you’ve likely heard the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) announced on Friday that Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) is in receivership. Of course this impacts those who were banking with SVB, but as this news is unsettling for the entire entrepreneurial community we wanted to provide reassurance.

Following the news, we immediately reached out to Wave customers who were banking with SVB to offer support and let them know that their online payments and payroll needs would not be affected in any way.

Rest assured Wave does not have exposure to SVB and was not impacted by Friday’s events. Our bank partners are stable and in a strong position to continue to support the industry and Wave, allowing us to continue to serve you as we always have:

Online payments and payroll processing are continuing seamlessly without interruption or delay

We continue to further support your cash flow with the option of instant payouts

Our Wave Money banking customers can continue accessing funds

Meanwhile, here are some suggestions to help you and your employees feel more confident:

Any of your customers who bank with SVB will still be able to pay you through Wave.

Enabling online payments on your Wave invoices gives your customers an easy option that can speed up the payment process and help you get paid faster, improving your cash flow. Additionally, customers who choose to pay by credit card can hold onto their cash for an extra month before their bill comes due, which is beneficial for their cash flow as well.

You can set up automated reminders to help remind them of payments owing.

If you use Wave’s payroll feature, reassure your employees there is no risk to their paychecks.

If you’re looking for a reliable payroll option, we can automate your payroll so you can focus on your business.

We are always monitoring the markets, taking steps to mitigate any risk so we can continue to deliver to you, our valued customer. Should you have any questions, please contact the Wave Support team by logging into your Wave Account and clicking on the Live Chat button at the bottom right of your screen.

As always, we are here to support you and the small business community. We thank you for your business and your trust.

Sincerely,

Zahir Khoja
CEO

Props for the shameless sales pitch, tho.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Hootington posted:

Remember for tomorrow. It will be weighted less now. But an increase is an increase.
https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1633110490753712128?t=FnVcueYy9MvhD92gX9uqMA&s=19

It's fun how everything is going to absolute poo poo well before the economy is actually in recession. All the big brain optimist economists keep screaming that there's no recession but, like, it'd almost be better if we were there already. Endless inflation, consumer credit spiraling out of control, bank failures, loan delinquencies, and all this is just the pre-show.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Paradoxish posted:

It's fun how everything is going to absolute poo poo well before the economy is actually in recession. All the big brain optimist economists keep screaming that there's no recession but, like, it'd almost be better if we were there already. Endless inflation, consumer credit spiraling out of control, bank failures, loan delinquencies, and all this is just the pre-show.

depending on the answer to all this poo poo we either get hyperinflation or some kind of weird prices not going up/deflationary moment that lasts about as long as a recession

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Coincidentally Intuit also sent me an email today saying that effective may 31, desktop quickbooks is no-can-do & my client must sign up for some overpriced online bullshit the price of which will be determined by the sales rep you speak to so maybe I'll talk my client into Wave instead.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

Haven't we been in recession for 2 or 3 quarters now but the institutions changed the definitions because of being scared of Trump 24

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Haven't we been in recession for 2 or 3 quarters now but the institutions changed the definitions because of being scared of Trump 24

The definition of a recession is basically that NBER reads the entrails and decides that we're in one, but you generally need a couple quarters of negative growth alongside rising unemployment so probably not. If the fed can't break the labor market then they probably don't have to ever admit that the economy is in recession.

edit- also if you want to do number whispering then the inverted yield curve is a signal that a recession is coming but not here yet

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Mar 14, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

The definition of a recession is basically that NBER reads the entrails and decides that we're in one, but you generally need a couple quarters of negative growth alongside rising unemployment so probably not. If the fed can't break the labor market then they probably don't have to ever admit that the economy is in recession.

Weird, I thought it was just negative gdp and employment was irrelevant.

Ah well might as well spend the rest of my life being on team bad guy banks since it's the only way to pay the bills

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Weird, I thought it was just negative gdp and employment was irrelevant.

The rest of the world runs like that

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Yeah, in the US you have to consult the high priests before you're allowed to say that negative GDP growth means recession.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What are the CPI changes that are kicking in for tomorrow?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

CPI number is gonna be mild because it has to be. Everything has led up to this point. They will massage it until their hands fall off.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

Coincidentally Intuit also sent me an email today saying that effective may 31, desktop quickbooks is no-can-do & my client must sign up for some overpriced online bullshit the price of which will be determined by the sales rep you speak to so maybe I'll talk my client into Wave instead.

Huh? Are you a CPA?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

The rest of the world runs like that

The fools! That's why they'll never be #1

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Joey Steel posted:

Huh? Are you a CPA?

No, that's above my pay grade.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Willa Rogers posted:

What are the CPI changes that are kicking in for tomorrow?

no its just the fed announcing whatever the inflation rate for feburary was

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

oh I thought they'd changed the calculations or something the way hootington was framing it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

oh I thought they'd changed the calculations or something the way hootington was framing it.

They did st the beginning of the year.

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/notices/2023/methodology-changes-2023.htm
https://www.bls.gov/cpi/tables/relative-importance/weight-update-information-2023.htm

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I know we’re a bit past school lunch talk but did anyone else’s school make an abomination called cheese zombies?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Bar Ran Dun posted:

sure doesn’t look like rented lots there.
:rolleyes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_land

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosure

:viggo:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Starting to think that the fundamentals are strong.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Woke Mind Virus posted:

CPI number is gonna be mild because it has to be. Everything has led up to this point. They will massage it until their hands fall off.

Mmm. Slow cooked books, pages falling right off the binding.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

No, that's above my pay grade.

Ah, I was about to be confused. The few CPAs I know seemed like they were paid pretty well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

both me and my fiance (different credit unions) got a very similar letter lol. banks shook

quote:

Dear Valued Members,

I want to take this opportunity to address the recent news surrounding the shutdown of Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) and the impact it has had on some banks in the SF Bay Area. Firstly, I want to thank you for your continued trust in SF Fire Credit Union and assure you of our unwavering commitment to your financial stability and well-being.

Some customers of affected banks have been contacting us, seeking information and reassurance during this time. Let me take this opportunity to remind you that we have always been a stable financial institution and our prudent approach in providing safe, reliable financial products and services to our members. During the pandemic, we remained open for business, and were recognized as the #1 credit union to join during the Occupy Wall Street movement of 2011.

We understand that you may have concerns regarding the stability of your finances outside of the credit union, and we want to assure you that we are here to help. Our products and services are designed to provide great benefits and financial security. We offer competitive cash bonuses and good term certificate rates. The last five annual reports demonstrate our continued progress and stability.

To our potential new members from affected banks, we would like to welcome you to the SF Fire Credit Union Family. As a member-owned, not-for-profit cooperative, we prioritize the well-being of our members above everything else. Our staff are equipped to provide you with the guidance and extra support you need during this time.

At SF Fire Credit Union, we are a core member of the San Francisco Bay Area community, and have been for over 70 years. We were built by firefighters but are open to community members. We are proud of our commitment to serving the community, and we will continue to do so for many years to come.

If any friends and family would like to open an account with SF Fire Credit Union, please share our new member offer at sffirecu.org/bonus300

Sincerely,
Kathy Duvall
President and CEO
SF Fire Credit Union
bonus even citing OWS

i do gotta wonder how solid CU insurance is. i dont like the sound of private deposit insurance

quote:

Deposits in SF Fire Credit Union are insured by American Share Insurance, the largest provider of private share insurance.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Mar 14, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

finance capital beats industrial tech capital

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Meh, dead car bounce

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

lol USAA hasn't sent me poo poo. Guess they're above all that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

dire

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

caelxii posted:

lol USAA hasn't sent me poo poo. Guess they're above all that.

All the local/regional CA banking institutions are panicking because their customers are fleeing like rats from a sinking armada.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Used car prices will never actually come down again.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmao fox news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xOw_sfqZIU

weirdly not too incorrect for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Used car prices will never actually come down again.

Wait until those laws forbidding the sale of new non electric cars kick in down the line, then we'll really see a second hand price hike.