Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Paradoxish posted:

Used car prices will never actually come down again.

Neither will housing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

Used car prices will never actually come down again.

yup. and also the entry-level MSRP market (16-22k) is dead

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

What-if pig pen but for people

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Crazypoops posted:

yeesh, techbros reinventing the slum

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Crazypoops posted:

We have those already

The pigs just get out a little too often

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

We got a 2015 Prius brand new for ~$20,000 in 2016. Hopefully it'll last until we die.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

err posted:

Neither will housing

housing literally cannot because our entire financialized system depends on endlessly recycling mortgages into derivates

if the notional price drops on those mortgage backed securities, contracts become worthless and all the individual actors hedging their bets by grabbing credit default swaps eventually add up to some massive entity holding the bag and not being able to pay out

except this time, we cant QE our way out of this because that would counter-act the rate hikes sooooo??? what now lmao

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Xaris posted:

you can get the ugliest car from the worst brand in the us

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/cars-and-suvs/mirage

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
SERVE

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
S E R V E

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dk2m posted:

housing literally cannot because our entire financialized system depends on endlessly recycling mortgages into derivates

if the notional price drops on those mortgage backed securities, contracts become worthless and all the individual actors hedging their bets by grabbing credit default swaps eventually add up to some massive entity holding the bag and not being able to pay out

except this time, we cant QE our way out of this because that would counter-act the rate hikes sooooo??? what now lmao

The solution is to centralise the books, hide them away from any prying eyes, cook thoroughly and burn the evidence.

Printing infinite money is sexy and good when banks & governments do it but when I do it they call it counterfeiting. Bah!

Anyway good sir, your latte and bagel comes to 5 million dollars today.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

A 2400 sq ft home in my area goes for around $2-3k/mo in rent. By square foot, those tiny homes are double the price.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah price per square foot goes down as houses get larger. sucks rear end.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

That's because the price to heat them goes up the bigger the house is. Sure you might be saving a bit per square foot on a larger house, but if you end up paying an extra $25/month in utilities it basically evens out

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They should have made their shanty town shack out of scrap corrugated iron sheets, as is traditional.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how come these tiny homes have a second story huh

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

That's because the price to heat them goes up the bigger the house is. Sure you might be saving a bit per square foot on a larger house, but if you end up paying an extra $25/month in utilities it basically evens out

yo this person can heat their own home.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

There was some school lunch talk a few pages ago. Here are some recent University student lunch photos from Finland. They have 2 tiers of food, cheaper is 3€, more expensive is 5,6€. Usually the 5,6€ version has better meat & sides. State covers part of the lunch price so they can offer lunch at such low prices for students. Eating only those 3€ lunches cost around 60€/month for me.

3€:

5,6€

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Mar 14, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

perkele

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1635529976845049856

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

we need a bailout too, it's no fair that they got one and we didn't

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Credit Suss

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when i was in school i made a peanut butter sandwich in the morning and ate it for lunch every single day for years and years

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

hey the last two years have been weird and tough for us all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

They should have made their shanty town shack out of scrap corrugated iron sheets, as is traditional.

If it weren't for the cops, America would have favelas

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

There was some school lunch talk a few pages ago. Here are some recent University student lunch photos from Finland. They have 2 tiers of food, cheaper is 3€, more expensive is 5,6€. Usually the 5,6€ version has better meat & sides. State covers part of the lunch price so they can offer lunch at such low prices for students. Eating only those 3€ lunches cost around 60€/month for me.

3€:

5,6€

Looks better than army or navy mess food. I'd eat it.

We all know air force eat nothing but silver service choice cut steaks and such so they would turn up their noses at this.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

If it weren't for the cops, America would have favelas

Only violence can prevent shanty towns

-Porky the Bear

dk2m
May 6, 2009

this is a few hours before this

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/credit-suisse-default-swaps-hit-112556220.html

default swaps against credit suisse bonds jumped up a bit, meaning that investors are nervous around the ability for CS to make bondholders whole. also hot off the heels of their massive ~1 billion loss from february.

internally they are a shitshow so perhaps they are sitting on toxic derivatives linked to what is now a really volatile bond market. if there's enough jitters and capital outflows from CS, they could be the first to go down, but probably too early to tell/total speculation

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Credit suisse: we made an oopsie

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
CS and DB are the closest things to completely safe banks that exist. they're laundromats for the ultra rich, governments, and businesses.

like, don't invest in their stock or anything, but they're not going anywhere as institutions, and when push comes to shove their deposits will be backed at the cost of almost everything else.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

dk2m posted:

internally they are a shitshow so perhaps they are sitting on toxic derivatives linked to what is now a really volatile bond market. if there's enough jitters and capital outflows from CS, they could be the first to go down, but probably too early to tell/total speculation

credit sussie is straight up pretty much a turbo crooked bank that it's absolutely gunna be the first one to go, if things start falling. the funniest is thing is people have been calling them super toxic for years, and they blatantly are, but they've just been left to carry-on the status quo.

but will swiss bail them out? probably. swiss is also locked in deep and can't let CS fail so it's not going to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

credit sussie

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

crussy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I vaguely remember some talk about credit sus being in trouble some months back but frankly didn't care beyond "huh". If there is a general run I could believe they might get in trouble.

By which I mean bailed out by taxpayers. Too big to fail baby.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
i'd agree with you under a normal regime where the government can flood the market with credit to prevent a liquidity contraction and hold toxic derivatives but uhhhh i have doubts thats an option right now - especially for european agencies as it's the fed which ultimately influences their libor/local fund rates

we're reaching the limits of what neoliberalism can realistically offer under a sustained near 0 interest rate environment suddenly spiking, causing long term bonds to become worthless. the potential nuke is that we're sitting on something like $600 trilltion of OTC derivatives from a notional value - and financial returns have outpaced real growth meaning that it's probably fair that a lot of that value is pure fiction, especially as values on long term bonds evaporate.

running QE regimes dont seem like a magic bullet anymore, as on an obvious level it will counter act the fed's rate hike program. instead it might be an unwinding that will force governments to actually let institutions fail. we'll see

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Fix things? What we need is to invest all of our collective energies into developing the most advanced can-kicking robot the world has ever seen. Really punt that thing down the road this time.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
another area that could blow up is with foreign banks holding long term bonds

https://twitter.com/brad_setser/status/1634308556261412864?s=46&t=fhRohXIGwtz71r02K1yeMw

tldr here is that Japan has tons of the same “underwater” bonds that took out SVB - the problem is that they have to FX hedge, meaning the central bank has to obtain enough USD to keep their currency in good shape. the problem though is that as rates increase, our currency strengthens compared to theirs, meaning that they need to grow faster to keep up in order to hedge their bets.

japan is not exactly what you’d call a growing economy and they have to sustain their ability to periodically burn through their precious foreign reserves to prevent these same underwater bonds from exploding.

neoliberalisms logic of using debt to fund more debt, and the fact that debt grows faster than actual assets, has brought us into this comical world where long term US treasury bonds are now somehow an issue

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo. Forget bailing out silicon valley. Those dumb venture capitals with their apps that let you rate 3 piece suits for dogs can all get in line.

What we really need to do is bail out all the anime companies when the land of the rising sun turns into the land of the burning accounts books.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

"Just today I gave the local grocery three shiny dimes and he handed me two crisp apples" - something a dementia patient repeats to themselves as their family cries in the other room

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

At least with mobile homes people can own a cheap home and potentially take it with them to other land.

but then again

https://www.calearth.org/

I’d honestly do that if it wasn’t for the goddamned HOA.