Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My dad liked to play Diablo except he would pick up everything piece of trash loot and bring it back to town to sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
My dad (1952) liked to play Shadow Knights (DOS,1991) which is like id software's ninja gaiden but like twice as difficult and shittier. He beat it several times. I don't get it. He only played Solitaire.

Vic fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 14, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

My dad (1960) liked Falcon 3.0, Back to Baghdad and Ancient Art of War in the Skies. He pretty much never played a videogame again after the early 90's outside of the few times he used my wheel to play GT3 on PS2, but he sure did like watching the God of War games, including the reboot. He also thought the MK11 movie starring Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was pretty funny and novel when I showed it to him, cuz he took my brother and I to the MK movie and loves it to this day, as do we.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It has actual game mechanics, doesn't feel like dogshit to play and looks decent. Shadow Knights isn't amazing but due to a very low bar it's one of the best PC platformers of it's time.

e: My dad is in his early 70s and currently addicted to Demeo on the Quest.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
My dad helped me finish Dragon Warrior by grinding for me when I was at school. Now he only plays Megaman and can finish 2 through 6 (1 is pretty bullshit).

Paper Tiger posted:

Or saw them cheese the Wiegraf 1-on-1 fight by spending the first dozen turns running around and screaming

Speaking from personal experience

Is.. there any other way to win this lovely mission?

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

fridge corn posted:

My dad liked to play Diablo except he would pick up everything piece of trash loot and bring it back to town to sell

My dad was a Diablo Dad and he did the same thing. The only game he ever played all the way through. He still likes to remind me to this day that it was the only game he ever beat before I did.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cult of the Lamb was such a piece of poo poo, I can't believe it reviewed so well. Truly an awful game in every way except aesthetics.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Cult of the Lamb was such a piece of poo poo, I can't believe it reviewed so well. Truly an awful game in every way except aesthetics.

Classic Limmy "get in the bin" Fodder

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

jokes posted:

He probably saw that you made Ramza a fighter type

Ramza stays a squire other than the Wiegraf fight where you briefly make him a monk. :colbert:

QuarkJets posted:

he didn't know how to deal with the knowledge that you were becoming a weeb

Final Fantasy Tactics is like, the least weeby Final Fantasy game.

My dad also put a ban on me using Rose in Street Fighter Alpha 2 because he had no idea how to beat throws so I would just spam her throw against him and Perfect every fight against him. :v:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think insurance conventions had a deal with Atari 2600 and a Colecovision.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Devils Affricate posted:

For some reason my sister absolutely hated when I played FFT. I think it was the music that drove her crazy. I'd end up spending a lot of time on certain levels, so the music would loop over and over and she'd hear it from the other room, so fair enough I guess.

My dad didn't hate any of my games but there was one time where I was playing FFXI that will always stick with me. I was playing my Tarutaru (which are lil dudes who look like this) and I had just unlocked the Bard class so I was solo leveling on some small enemies. Dad walks in and starts watching the screen. Neither of us says anything, I just figure he's curious so I keep doing what I'm doing. I see an enemy and hit my ranged attack, which is a song because I'm a Bard. My goofy rear end teddy bear character pulls out a flute and doots a short tune, which causes an energy beam to fly out and hit a bunny, who squeals in pain and then hops over and kicks my dude in the head. Dad just walks out of the room mumbling about how he'll "never understand any of this poo poo."

Your dad was extremely diplomatic about seeing his son play a teddy bear who uses flute magic on a rabbit in a computer video game.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Could have been worse. Could've been a catboy.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

My dad didn't have a home with electricity until he was 28 years old so he doesn't really get video games and instinctively picks up every game console controller upside down to this day as a result for some reason, but he's supportive of my hobbies as long as I fix his computer when I visit and get some exercise a few times a week.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 14, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vandar posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is like, the least weeby Final Fantasy game.

It's a gateway drug, you catch your kid playing final fantasy tactics and before you know it they're sleeping with a waifu body pillow and their room is full of anime wall scrolls and hand drawn kingdom hearts erotica slash art

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

My dad was able to beat Civ 2 via military domination on deity level difficulty. Insane. He hasn't played in over fifteen years because it was an addiction for him.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

It's a gateway drug, you catch your kid playing final fantasy tactics and before you know it they're sleeping with a waifu body pillow and their room is full of anime wall scrolls and hand drawn kingdom hearts erotica slash art

I bought FFT back in the day and tried it and thought "boring poo poo game for idiot losers" and traded it in to EB Games for pennies on the dollar. Sounds like I dodged a bullet!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I couldn't figure out how to place your units when I first played. Deltia and Ramza got mulched a few times on the first stage and I put it down thinking I just didn't get SRPG's

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

oh also since I know you were all super curious it took just over 12 hours to clear 37400 not interested titles from my steam account using a javascript snippet I found by googling. I have now told steam not to show me adult only content and am blessedly free of the trash pile that I willingly subjected myself to for years. I think it was the latest "Sex With Hitler" being shown to me that pushed me over the edge.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I think it was the latest "Sex With Hitler" being shown to me that pushed me over the edge.

same

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tripwood posted:

My dad helped me finish Dragon Warrior by grinding for me when I was at school. Now he only plays Megaman and can finish 2 through 6 (1 is pretty bullshit).

Is.. there any other way to win this lovely mission?

1) face tank with auto potion
2) ninja with monk barehanded, get your spd and str as high as it can go via armor, bait one movement round, and one shot with 2x punch

...3) calculator

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My dad can beat up your dad. Along with my uncle. Who happens to work at Nintendo. And he told me about a special secret in Pokemon that would get you Moo2.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My dad randomly got hooked on a light gun master system game called

He managed to beat it pretty quickly, then it turned to a high score challenge. Every enemy you kill has an angel that starts to rise to heaven you can also shoot and kill for extra points. It's pretty funny to think about actually. He eventually got so good he could glitch the game out from scoring too high.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I love that old white grid background that so many genesis games had

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Master system you mean? I think maybe genesis had some but all the master system titles were like that

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

jokes posted:

Your dad was extremely diplomatic about seeing his son play a teddy bear who uses flute magic on a rabbit in a computer video game.

That's what struck me about it. I looked back at the screen and realized yeah, this poo poo is pretty weird, even with context. Can't imagine what he thought was going on.

He didn't hate video games, and actually made sure our computer always had a pretty sweet graphics card, but he only played NASCAR and MS Flight Sim lol

Fur20 posted:

1) face tank with auto potion
2) ninja with monk barehanded, get your spd and str as high as it can go via armor, bait one movement round, and one shot with 2x punch

...3) calculator

I think I 2-shotted him by using Ninja with Equip Axes (which are a weapon type that has really high damage but with an RNG multiplier on it, so basically just try a couple times until you get lucky)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaius Marius posted:

I couldn't figure out how to place your units when I first played. Deltia and Ramza got mulched a few times on the first stage and I put it down thinking I just didn't get SRPG's

I couldn't figure out how to change jobs when I first played it because that poo poo is hidden is a second menu on your character roster screen. :argh:

Dorter Trade City had me stonewalled for way longer than younger me wants to admit.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Master system you mean? I think maybe genesis had some but all the master system titles were like that

mega drive was a black background with a grey grid, master system was grey on white.

I remember because some master system cartridges said 'mega cartridge' on them and my parents wouldn't buy them because the guy in the shop said they were mega drive only, because he was a loving liar.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

lol. Hey, let me help you out; because video games run on computer hardware, technical brilliance is generally a pretty good indicator of how much skill was required to create a good game.

That is a lie. Programming is always trivial compared to game design (which, by the by, doesn't involve programming at all). That's why you get 40 000 000 "indie" games every year that are very pretty and have fluid mechanics but are poo poo because there's billions and billions of good programmers, trillions of good artists, but like three goodcompetent game designers.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 15, 2023

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That is a lie. Programming is always trivial compared to game design (which, by the by, doesn't involve programming at all). That's why you get 40 000 000 "indie" games every year that are very pretty and have fluid mechanics but are poo poo because there's billions and billions of good programmers, trillions of good artists, but like three goodcompetent game designers.

This is mostly correct. My addendum is that novel designs often require programming like 1000 different versions of something until you land on something fun, and the most efficient way to translate design in your own mind to reality is to program it yourself. so there are many spaces of game design that are rarely mined because you need someone with a clue about design (rare) and who can also program prototypes themselves (not that rare, but very rare when combined with the first condition)

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

There are lots of brilliant designers I’ve met even at AAA studios who I feel are ultimately limited by their need to depend on engineering buy-in to try ideas. They tend to limit themselves to what they think engineering can easily support

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there are lots of good programmers and yet bethesda's hugely popular games are still programmed like garbage

also the nu-xcom games have insane system requirements for some reason despite being turn based strategy games built on UE3

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well, I would simply not limit myself. Bing bong easy peasy lemon party.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

giogadi posted:

There are lots of brilliant designers I’ve met even at AAA studios who I feel are ultimately limited by their need to depend on engineering buy-in to try ideas. They tend to limit themselves to what they think engineering can easily support

A lot of that comes down to management and project planning at game companies is dogshit and standard ractices everywhere actively impede any kind of improvement. Yeah, it's a creative process and you can't schedule things down all the way, but every game development story is "Oh we just put the cart before the horse and when that didn't work we threw away the horse and cart and built another cart to put before another horse."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Nu-com's issue was the animations involved in everything, having them to a level of fidelity that the game zooms in to show you what's going on at the ground level. To be honest, that's fun the first couple times but i think once you gain familiarity with the game it's better to just make the animations go as fast as possible if not cut them, because they're just interstitial bullshit getting in the way of 'i want this guy to move there and do this'

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You couldn't go prone. That's all one needs to know. 0/10 poo poo game the people who made it should go eat their own asses.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You couldn't go prone. That's all one needs to know. 0/10 poo poo game the people who made it should go eat their own asses.

I dunno, lots of my dudes have gone prone in those games. I mean, the aliens shot them first, but they were prone.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It’s my opinion, which I will now back with more opinion. In an ideal world the game designer would also have the technical skill to write the game engine or at the very least, tweak an existing engine to fit the game design. In the ancient times, the game designer and the programmer were the same person. I think we need to go back in time and try writing games like that again.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

We just need to clone ourselves a Derek Yu army.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My dad would play soul calibur ii with me and spam maxi, like a fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The soul still burns