Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

has anyone considered multiplying rates by -1.2 every month until all the problems are solved? everybody’s happier and happier every other month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I would like to congratulate everyone who grifted billions of dollars off the metaverse while doing the bare minimum of work

it's one of those jobs that's probably insanely stressful 1 day of the month right before your meeting with Zuck when you start to get the imposter syndrome and think "oh gently caress what am I doing here there's no way he's gonna be happy I spent all this money and all we have to show for it is that you can play ping pong in VR now" and then he shows up and no it turns out that's exactly what he wanted

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fits my needs posted:

zuck owns, first his funny rear end photos when thinking about running for president. now wasting billions on metaverse stuff to make some wii avatar looking garbage.

at least during the last wave of VR (that bombed like every other previous one) i knew some guys who expressed a passing interest, but i never saw anyone who remotely even gave a gently caress about metaverse

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mr Hootington posted:

We lucked into a mild winter

Uh huh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1635632849855315968

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

at least during the last wave of VR (that bombed like every other previous one) i knew some guys who expressed a passing interest, but i never saw anyone who remotely even gave a gently caress about metaverse

well you know things were bad when facebook leadership told management to force their employees to use the metaverse. cuz no one was using it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

credit sus

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Credit Sus blowing up again. That's like once every six months, right?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I was expecting the metaverse to look a lot more polished than the PR releases were showing.

It seems like we're a long way from any of the tech being comfortable to wear and use for long periods of time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Europe has had a very warm winter which helped keep natural gas prices down globally.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i like energy prices going down but electric bills go up its all very good

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Palladium posted:

Facebook buying oculus immediately dried up all the emergent interest in the platform

Meta was over before it started, there is so little overlap between people who want VR and people who trust facebook, it was just never going to work. This was just the wrong company using the wrong business model for somebody else's good idea

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Mar 14, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mr Hootington posted:

Europe has had a very warm winter which helped keep natural gas prices down globally.

Pure luck of the draw im sure

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

meanwhile I'm paying a hundred bucks more a month for natural gas since January

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
One silver lining of the current mess and the tech bust in particular is that my company's grand plans for a metaverse presence have been memoryholed.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

he raised rates fast enough that he blew up the banks long term holdings but slow enough that shelter is uneffected. maybe there's something else we could do?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Woke Mind Virus posted:

he raised rates fast enough that he blew up the banks long term holdings but slow enough that shelter is uneffected. maybe there's something else we could do?

yeah: war with china

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/1635623195284758533

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

We lucked into a mild winter that drove down energy prices.

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

meanwhile I'm paying a hundred bucks more a month for natural gas since January

That is inflation that has already occurred. :science:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Hootington posted:

Shelter being 70% of the increase is why the fed will continue to raise rates. It does lag, but the signs of it "disinflating" are too slow for what the fed wants and needs. If a rate pause or hike happens you will see shelter resurge.

My phone has already hit me with three separate articles this morning that can barely contain their excitement about the collapse of SVB inevitably leading to lower mortgage rates. Absolutely everyone is pricing in the insane idea that not only will the fed halt hikes, but that they're also going to start cutting rates soon.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

If I'm understanding the macroeconomics from the last couple of pages (lol because I'm fairly apathetic about economics): inflation is for little people, but extremely rich parasites are continuing to do just fine in our economy where it's becoming increasingly harder to rent or buy a house.

I mean...that's just the story of capitalism itself, really.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If I'm understanding the macroeconomics from the last couple of pages (lol because I'm fairly apathetic about economics): inflation is for little people, but extremely rich parasites are continuing to do just fine in our economy where it's becoming increasingly harder to rent or buy a house.

I mean...that's just the story of capitalism itself, really.

Yes. The top 40% is who is driving inflation too.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i wonder if things will collapse into a barter economy for working class people

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

It is time to cut down the palos altos

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

i wonder if things will collapse into a barter economy for working class people

it already has, Facebook marketplace and Zelle were developed to empower the poor as well as fleece them easily and with little recourse for dispute.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

did anyone buy the dip?

https://twitter.com/byheatherlong/status/1635639661031768067

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

My phone has already hit me with three separate articles this morning that can barely contain their excitement about the collapse of SVB inevitably leading to lower mortgage rates. Absolutely everyone is pricing in the insane idea that not only will the fed halt hikes, but that they're also going to start cutting rates soon.

Last I looked the markets are pricing in a pause. Should be good poo poo next week. Stocka will probably keep surging. I can't think of any other numbers between now and then that the market would get worried about

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

well he was right about one bank

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Economist round up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Last I looked the markets are pricing in a pause. Should be good poo poo next week. Stocka will probably keep surging. I can't think of any other numbers between now and then that the market would get worried about

PPI is tomorrow but the market already shrugged off higher CPI this morning so it's very unlikely it'll care about that number.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

PPI is tomorrow but the market already shrugged off higher CPI this morning so it's very unlikely it'll care about that number.

Yeah that was my thought too. Unless PPI comes in way hot the markets have turned on dog brained bull mode.

Edit: once again correct take
https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1635642399564222471?t=pF_9jiXaYufYy7mD361wHQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1635644223385903105?t=ONscd64aTOkJYS5fRiDvdQ&s=19

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Is one of these numbers bothering you? If so, just pick another one! easy peasy.
CPI
CORE
CORE +
CORE LESS THAN SHELTER
SUPERCORE

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HYPERCORE
U-U-U-ULTRACORE

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol bitcoing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Economist round up

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1635636620408881154?s=20

God I love this guy.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good news, wage inflation is slowing down! Thank u Krugman

I notice he didn't comment on rents going up despite his blathering about some lagging indicator showing them going down a couple of months ago.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are literally doing the Chernobyl not great not terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol, people can’t afford anything other than the necessities is what I’m seeing here