Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I'm glad economists are now just openly admitting that their entire profession is a sham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Is one of these numbers bothering you? If so, just pick another one! easy peasy.
CPI
CORE
CORE +
CORE LESS THAN SHELTER
SUPERCORE

the economic reports are like ordering off a Chinese menu

little from column a, little from column b

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is included in core services ?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

what is included in core services ?

Rent

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

[paying rent] thank you for your service

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

eXXon posted:

Good news, wage inflation is slowing down! Thank u Krugman

I notice he didn't comment on rents going up despite his blathering about some lagging indicator showing them going down a couple of months ago.

:ssh:look at real wage growth. wage inflation hasn't actually occurred.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

First they came for the tut-tutsis

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

coelomate posted:

gimme 500 basis points or give me death

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I don't have money brains but I don't understand doing inflation but not including rent or food. Most people have to pay rent and everyone has to buy food. Not including it makes it meaningless!

Like if your goal is "how is monetary policy effecting people" then you have to know what people are paying for poo poo they need to live lol loving economists lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Centrist Committee posted:

lol, people can’t afford anything other than the necessities is what I’m seeing here

good news the necessities are going up and up so they wont be able to afford those either

i like that my lovely state negotiated a 40% electric bill increase this year with the power company

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

"Economics"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

spacemang_spliff posted:

I don't have money brains but I don't understand doing inflation but not including rent or food. Most people have to pay rent and everyone has to buy food. Not including it makes it meaningless! the number say what I want it to say

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

What constitutes "core services"? Is that poo poo that includes what people get paid? If so, seems like it'd make sense that it is a delayed wave within the data as it responds to price increases in faster responding areas (price of goods can increase quicker and with less friction than what people earn).

E: seeing above rent is in it. Anything else?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

I don't have money brains but I don't understand doing inflation but not including rent or food. Most people have to pay rent and everyone has to buy food. Not including it makes it meaningless!

Well rent and food costs aren't significant parts of rich people's expenses, so maybe it's rich people inflation and not the kind where you hook an air compressor up to them and turn them into turgid flesh balloons

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wanna see the polls about svb and see if the execs publicly shifting to begging for handouts makes sure the concept of bank bailouts is the most universally hated phrase in American politics

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the measurement without food and energy was important historically for industry to track prices important to them

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

yeah I get that and like I understand that the economy isn't real and runs on ork magic but like if my job was touching money all day i'd like to know real numbers not fake feel good numbers but that's why i'm not a super smart economist

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah I get that and like I understand that the economy isn't real and runs on ork magic but like if my job was touching money all day i'd like to know real numbers not fake feel good numbers but that's why i'm not a super smart economist

i think most of them are imbeciles that have fully bought into their wacky neo-liberal cult

im sure a few of the top ones fully know just how precarious the situation is but their only there to make sure the rich continue to do their thing

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1635652071683952642?s=20

Number?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

at some point they started believing their own propaganda and forgot the fake feel good numbers are fake

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

They exclude rent and food from core because those categories are deemed too "volatile".

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
how much could a banana cost michael $10?

yeah fuckin probably in like 6 months

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

a twitter bot that replies to everything blueframes and krugman say with "These numbers are fake."

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Red Baron posted:

the economic reports are like ordering off a Chinese menu

little from column a, little from column b

is it lunch time yet?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mr Hootington posted:

They exclude rent and food from core because those categories are deemed too "volatile".

that's even dumber lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

that's even dumber lol

There is also readings like trimmed mean that cut off the most increase and least increase.

My preferred reading is "sticky".

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm gonna say it... Yep, it's gonna happen.

Shoulda bought the dip

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If I'm understanding the macroeconomics from the last couple of pages (lol because I'm fairly apathetic about economics): inflation is for little people, but extremely rich parasites are continuing to do just fine in our economy where it's becoming increasingly harder to rent or buy a house.

I mean...that's just the story of capitalism itself, really.

It is the wealthy who benefit from inflation, and also the ones who cause it.

Inflation is when prices go up. Who determines prices? Sellers. Massive corporations unilaterally sell their goods are higher prices. That's what inflation is. This means more revenue, more money for these corporations and the banks who own them. There corporations owe 20 trillion dollars in loans from the 2020 bailout and there's only one place where value comes from: workers. So the workers are essentially paying for the debts of the banking bailout through increased prices.

More than that, inflation has the recursive effect of devaluing the debts making them easier to pay. This is something that nobody has ever discovered before and has never led to complete and total disaster.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Missed an easy 20% payout on a straight trade of SCHW from yesterday to today.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

If i had like an extra thousand dollars i woulda thrown in on this, the regional bank rout yesterday seemed like it was gonna yield huge returns for the survivors, and we aren't really looking at more bank failures until the next rate check. The only direction for these stocks to go is up until then imo. People who hold these for just a couple days and resell when they stabilize will make out well

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nice and hot piss posted:

I'm gonna say it... Yep, it's gonna happen.

Shoulda bought the dip

bro i'm just happy i lost less than $100 yesterday

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I got charlie browned

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

number only crouched in order to jump higher

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
banks are saved, number is up, and inflation is as expected. we did it

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, a lot of hard work went into making this happen.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'm a number lover

You're a number lover

Let's do each other's number

Let's do each other's stock!!!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

RealityWarCriminal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34X4faVQ63Y

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

spacemang_spliff posted:

Like if your goal is "how is monetary policy effecting people" then you have to know what people are paying for poo poo they need to live lol loving economists lmao

yeah but if you take out the rent or food it makes the result look nicer, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

were not fixing anything were making it worse but have you seen the green number