Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah I get that and like I understand that the economy isn't real and runs on ork magic but like if my job was touching money all day i'd like to know real numbers not fake feel good numbers but that's why i'm not a super smart economist

When I was working in safety, they were always developing new metrics so that what would be a Cat A accident or a very serious mishap did not get reported as such. A mortar bomb literally smoking with the primer struck? Not a misfire and UXO because blah blah blah. A soldier was accidentally issued and fired live ammunition instead of blanks? Because the BFA was destroyed in the process it was simply reported as damage to a rifle and not a major incident. Have EOD come blow a dud mortar bomb in place? Nope. Return it to the ammo dump and report it as faulty.

Of course every annual report said “Good news! Safety is great and continues to be great!” because of this reporting, but the fake feel good numbers were more important.

I imagine this is the same but even more abstract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

these are the top academics in economics, finding a problem they don't know the answer to and just shrugging their shoulders. lmao.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Woke Mind Virus posted:

these are the top academics in economics, finding a problem they don't know the answer to and just shrugging their shoulders. lmao.

most of the replies seem to be people trolling that loser

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

lmao

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

HallelujahLee posted:

were not fixing anything were making it worse but have you seen the green number

jenga rear end economy

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

were not fixing anything were making it worse but have you seen the green number

When did biden's campaign manager start posting here?

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Woke Mind Virus posted:

It's not that they don't know the answer, it's that they're ideologically opposed to the very existence of the problem.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

another 10k people laid off from fb lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

another 10k people laid off from fb lmao

they hired like 70k people for Meta in the great pandemic hiring spree

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol 70,000 people for Meta. Facebook could have easily been in place to launch Twitter 2 so then they could be the ones losing money hand over fist with one of the most important social media platforms in the world.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lmao

dk2m
May 6, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

I don't have money brains but I don't understand doing inflation but not including rent or food. Most people have to pay rent and everyone has to buy food. Not including it makes it meaningless!

Like if your goal is "how is monetary policy effecting people" then you have to know what people are paying for poo poo they need to live lol loving economists lmao

you're 100% right here. in economics, you have what's called an "orthodox" school and a "heterodox" school. every single economist you'll see on NYT or bloomberg or whatever will fall under the "orthodox" category. this is the type of economics that you learn in college textbooks - its the one that assumes that economies are single, rational actors making decisions on their own and one in which debt doesn't really exist

this school has offshoots, of which the most popular in the west is now called "neo-classical", or sometimes known as "neo-liberal". really, what makes them neo-classical, is that the concept of "unearned" income that classical economists like Adam Smith, John Stuart Mills, Marx, etc were concerned about don't really exist. in the 19th century view, especially amongst the budding capitalists, they believed that the landlord and feudal class were hindering growth of economies by collecting rents on people simply due to their inherited aristocracy.

as industrialists were employing labor and trying to earn profits, they saw these as parasitic - leading to Adam Smith once saying "As soon as the land of any country has all become private property, the landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed, and demand a rent even for its natural produce."

this, however, is inversed in neo-classical and modern day economists. they actually believe that rent-seeking behavior is not only earned, but productive towards economies. rent seeking is not just literal home rents, but financial rents when they skim off transactions - technically, when you miss your credit card payment and are charged a penalty, that is actually considered revenue for the credit card company and actually grows the GDP - how is that in anyway actually productive though?

this is why CPI indexes are almost devoid of the real factors that everyday people care about - their student loans, their mortgage payment, their rent, their medical bills, which are all going up, and leaving less money left over for actual consumer goods.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Paradoxish posted:

It's not that they don't know the answer, it's that they're ideologically opposed to the very existence of the problem.

Well they’re ideologically opposed to taxation or any other means of resolving it, so I don’t know where they can go from here.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

dk2m posted:

you're 100% right here. in economics, you have what's called an "orthodox" school and a "heterodox" school. every single economist you'll see on NYT or bloomberg or whatever will fall under the "orthodox" category. this is the type of economics that you learn in college textbooks - its the one that assumes that economies are single, rational actors making decisions on their own and one in which debt doesn't really exist

this school has offshoots, of which the most popular in the west is now called "neo-classical", or sometimes known as "neo-liberal". really, what makes them neo-classical, is that the concept of "unearned" income that classical economists like Adam Smith, John Stuart Mills, Marx, etc were concerned about don't really exist. in the 19th century view, especially amongst the budding capitalists, they believed that the landlord and feudal class were hindering growth of economies by collecting rents on people simply due to their inherited aristocracy.

as industrialists were employing labor and trying to earn profits, they saw these as parasitic - leading to Adam Smith once saying "As soon as the land of any country has all become private property, the landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed, and demand a rent even for its natural produce."

this, however, is inversed in neo-classical and modern day economists. they actually believe that rent-seeking behavior is not only earned, but productive towards economies. rent seeking is not just literal home rents, but financial rents when they skim off transactions - technically, when you miss your credit card payment and are charged a penalty, that is actually considered revenue for the credit card company and actually grows the GDP - how is that in anyway actually productive though?

this is why CPI indexes are almost devoid of the real factors that everyday people care about - their student loans, their mortgage payment, their rent, their medical bills, which are all going up, and leaving less money left over for actual consumer goods.

a good post

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.
♫It's a very kinky measure♪
♪The kind that obfuscates inflation♫
♫It will never let your spirits down♪
♪Once you divorce it from real life; ow, girl♫

♫That measure's pretty wild now♪ (that measure's supercore)
♪The kind of thing you read about♫ (in Fortune magazine)
♫That measure's pretty kinky♪ (that measure's supercore)
♪I'd really love a rate hike♫ (every time Jay meets)
♫There's no food, there's no rent♪
♪There's no energy♫
Yeah, hey, hey, hey, hey!

♫It's the supercore, supercore♪
♪It don't count used cars♫

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I get why you guys are dunking on Twitter economists for admitting that they don't know what's going on, but I at least appreciate them saying they don't know what's going on rather than just stubbornly admitting that their original position was correct.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Eric Cantonese posted:

I get why you guys are dunking on Twitter economists for admitting that they don't know what's going on, but I at least appreciate them saying they don't know what's going on rather than just stubbornly admitting that their original position was correct.

But they are stubbornly sticking to their original positions. The post everyone is dunking on is Wolfy literally saying "any of these things can be true but I'm picking the one that supports the (consistently incorrect) position that I've held for the past two years."

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Nothus posted:

Shades of Chris Matthews complaining that Bernie winning meant he would be publicly executed in central park

That was a nice moment. Probably all downhill from there.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

But they are stubbornly sticking to their original positions. The post everyone is dunking on is Wolfy literally saying "any of these things can be true but I'm picking the one that supports the (consistently incorrect) position that I've held for the past two years."

I read his post with the shrugged shoulders as an admission that he might be guilty of doing "artisanal analysis" or whatever he calls selective picking and choosing of figures you like versus figures you don't like.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

dk2m posted:

It produces misery, but it's hard to track that as a number.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

We lucked into a mild winter

It's just called 'winter' now. and someday it'll be the coldest winter you can recall

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jedi425 posted:

It produces misery, but it's hard to track that as a number.

actually we have a number for that

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Mar 14, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

what drives me insane is that both economists and even posters itt (myself definitely included) are generally always talking about inflation on the Fed's terms: they're solely responsible for Price Stability (divined to be 2% inflation), and that the appropriate mechanism for disinflation is raising interest rates, and all of the downstream consequences that implies (aka Volcker Shock). when I'm having conversations about inflation with irl friends, I find myself constantly having to throw out disclaimers about how this arrangement is a political choice, and how reasonably-targeted Taxes can be extremely deflationary in a much more direct way, but of course new taxes are barely more of a realistic hope than Full Communism in the USA any time soon

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Welp, number goes up. Praise Number.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
luckily the weather will continue to be unpredictable and harsh, even as the winters get warmer on average

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

dk2m posted:

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

*tech dweeb hanging from a door hook by his tighty whiteys*

"This is exactly like the Rwandan genocide"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jedi425 posted:

Welp, number goes up. Praise Number.

I like it when new people come to the thread and get exposed to the depravity of the system.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

what drives me insane is that both economists and even posters itt (myself definitely included) are generally always talking about inflation on the Fed's terms: they're solely responsible for Price Stability (divined to be 2% inflation), and that the appropriate mechanism for disinflation is raising interest rates, and all of the downstream consequences that implies (aka Volcker Shock). when I'm having conversations about inflation with irl friends, I find myself constantly having to throw out disclaimers about how this arrangement is a political choice, and how reasonably-targeted Taxes can be extremely deflationary in a much more direct way, but of course new taxes are barely more of a realistic hope than Full Communism in the USA any time soon

Yeah. The willingness of all of our politicians to kick this problem to the Fed instead of addressing it by legislation and other measures to increase the abundance of goods (and therefore - gasp! - reduce prices) is maddening.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we all must suffer for number

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yeah. The willingness of all of our politicians to kick this problem to the Fed instead of addressing it by legislation and other measures to increase the abundance of goods (and therefore - gasp! - reduce prices) is maddening.

they arent there to solve any problems they are there to keep capital happy the only problems they solve are those that may inconvenience capital.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I like it when new people come to the thread and get exposed to the depravity of the system.

all is right in the world

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
was this posted here, made me think

https://twitter.com/jdcmedlock/status/1635462237182889985

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

good for them I guess. we need more of the right kind of class traitor

dk2m
May 6, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

ultimately what the public doesn't really get is that the fed "fighting inflation" is another way of saying "keep wages from increasing and unemployment sufficiently high enough". Volcker did the exact same thing in the 70s which paved the way for Reagan to introduce his neoliberal reforms.

inflation has a price component to it, no doubt, but the context of it is now WITHIN neoliberalism, which led to the de-industrialization and the offshoring of industry. this is now simply accepted as a "natural" transition to a service economy, when in reality, it was a huge state backed intervention to wage war on labor in order to move the growth engine directly to the stock market.

this model completely fell apart during covid, which showed how those reforms have now led to an incredibly brittle supply chain causing massive production based issues, which cannot be solved overnight. in fact, it probably can't be solved at all, as we have lost the know-how to even manufacture at scale here, and rebuilding that will take decades.

at the same time, live in a world where a brand new 65 inch tv can cost $100 but tuition at a university is cracking 75K a year. inflation is not the simply black and white supply/demand, but it's also the massive asset inflation required to keep the stock market inflated

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what about Justin Woofers and he posts about dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gradenko_2000 posted:

what about Justin Woofers and he posts about dogs

He'd post shite about how actually it's impossible to tell if it's a cat, dog or fish so he'll just stick to his previously held position that the puppy he's drowning is a fish