Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sentinel Red posted:

It stops literally every encounter having a high probability of being a death sentence even if you kill them and survive. Other than Bill's ep, every single time they popped up, people were getting infected. That kid in the pilot, Tess, Sam, Riley, Anna, they all survived their encounters but were still hosed regardless.

an issue i have with nearly all zombie related media is the steadfast refusal to show people adapting to the threat by how they are dressed. humans are not very good at biting through clothing, even relatively light stuff. Even a hoodie offers pretty drat good protection from someone just biting your arm. If one knows they are going into a risky situation, like Joel and Tess in ep 1 and onwards, they should look it.

Close fitting, resistant clothing like denim would be ideal, otherwise layers of clothing to provide resistance to a bite breaking the skin. tough gloves would be mandatory. using tape or cord to tie the sleeves and pant legs down so they don't ride up during a struggle and allow an easy bite. Long hair is also a risk since its such an easy thing for a zombie to grab onto, buzzcuts would be the de-facto hairstyle for anyone expecting even the slightest encounter with infected. You can imagine sleeves of resistant material like denim worn over clothing since bites on the arms would be the most likely spot.

I'd love to see veteran survivors like the fireflies or the jackson patrol groups in outfits that show they can manage against infected, in just one drat movie. instead everyone is dressed like its the first day of the outbreak and a 20 year survivor like tess gets bitten on her shoulder because she was only wearing a jacket and a collared shirt under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah tagging their mark on stuff in their own base is a little odd. Maybe the reason the dudes in the hospital were such crap shots is they were the PR division? Very gung ho about branding, less so about practicing their tactics and ability to shoot.

Are you under the impression that people who join a cause, particularly a revolutionary or militaristic one, don't like doodling or wearing their logos and phrases everywhere? People love branding themselves whenever they join a group.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

WoodrowSkillson posted:

an issue i have with nearly all zombie related media is the steadfast refusal to show people adapting to the threat by how they are dressed. humans are not very good at biting through clothing, even relatively light stuff. Even a hoodie offers pretty drat good protection from someone just biting your arm. If one knows they are going into a risky situation, like Joel and Tess in ep 1 and onwards, they should look it.

Close fitting, resistant clothing like denim would be ideal, otherwise layers of clothing to provide resistance to a bite breaking the skin. tough gloves would be mandatory. using tape or cord to tie the sleeves and pant legs down so they don't ride up during a struggle and allow an easy bite. Long hair is also a risk since its such an easy thing for a zombie to grab onto, buzzcuts would be the de-facto hairstyle for anyone expecting even the slightest encounter with infected. You can imagine sleeves of resistant material like denim worn over clothing since bites on the arms would be the most likely spot.

I'd love to see veteran survivors like the fireflies or the jackson patrol groups in outfits that show they can manage against infected, in just one drat movie. instead everyone is dressed like its the first day of the outbreak and a 20 year survivor like tess gets bitten on her shoulder because she was only wearing a jacket and a collared shirt under it.

Joel and Tess are wearing heavy denim/canvas jackets in the first episodes. But they also make the point that the infected don't travel alone, they tend to attack in large packs, because they're connected in a network. In the case you do run into just one, you're still better trying to run away than you are to wrestle it, and clothing that inhibits freedom of movement would be detrimental.

There's also the fact that good clothing is in short supply, and people simply aren't running into infected all the time. They are actively avoiding infected altogether.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Xombie posted:

Joel and Tess are wearing heavy denim/canvas jackets in the first episodes. But they also make the point that the infected don't travel alone, they tend to attack in large packs, because they're connected in a network. In the case you do run into just one, you're still better trying to run away than you are to wrestle it, and clothing that inhibits freedom of movement would be detrimental.

There's also the fact that good clothing is in short supply, and people simply aren't running into infected all the time. They are actively avoiding infected altogether.

For the record I'm not actually saying any of this is a dealbreaker, this is a minor nitpick that I'm bringing up that i would just love to see in a zombie show.

Yes they have the jackets on but then don't even zip them up before entering the scary building likely to have infected in it. If tess had done so she might be alive.

I said close fitting clothing specifically to address not being hampered. People in a world dominated by infected would absolutely be working to cover up any exposed areas, like the neck, arms, and hands. Even just a gorget fashioned from scraps is better than exposed skin. And because they travel in packs it only takes one of them grabbing your hair for it to degenerate into a mess, so having long hair would be crazy for anyone expecting a serious risk of encounters.

And yeah, people in jackson or in a QZ would not be dressed to fight infected all the time, that's why i mentioned the fireflies or the patrol group from jackson. Or Rick's group in walking dead. One of the only movies that showed this is 28 days later when you first meet the survivors that are all in layers of clothes with goggles on and whatnot.

Seriously, try and actually bite through even a regular long sleeved shirt, its not easy, it would not take medieval armor to significantly reduce the chance of infection. Though people like the jackson patrols would likely be fashioning armor of some kind as well, even just rawhide from deer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watching the show without playing the game can't possibly give one the impression that infected are some constant threat, more like just a lurking horror that prevents access to certain areas and nothing more

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The Commonwealth soldiers from The Walking Dead had the right idea.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

Watching the show without playing the game can't possibly give one the impression that infected are some constant threat, more like just a lurking horror that prevents access to certain areas and nothing more

Nah if most of the country was wiped out by fungus zombies that could be anywhere and everywhere outside of specified safe zones (which are only safe until they aren't) I'd consider them a constant threat.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hell, just regular biker gear would have you covered in most scrapes.

I always liked Frank’s introduction in 28DL where he’s somehow got full riot cop gear and just briskly pushes the fuckers over the stairwell railings without any worry whatsoever.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I guess self defense doesn't carry that much weight with me. Seems like when you pick up a gun, you're saying there are some cases in which you'd kill someone with it. I have a hard time believing someone who would kill in self defense couldn't find some other motivation to also kill, at best would suspect they'd expand their definition of self defense to encompass wider range of acceptable violence.

I can sort of see how you'd arrive at this conclusion if you live in America and have to put up with people citing "self-defence" as the reason rednecks should be allowed to open-carry their tactical AR into Subway, but generally speaking, actual self-defence is almost universally considered a justifiable use of violence both morally and legally, and for good reason.

There isn't to my recollection a single point in the show where Joel kills someone who was just minding their own business, including the hospital scene. (Everybody there is complicit in killing a child, even if it's for the greater good). Yes, he does things which are brutal and grim, but nothing he does on-screen in the ten episodes is as bad as what's alluded to in his own past with "I've been on both sides of that" re: ambushing random travellers for material gain.

(The possible exception to this is torturing and killing the two guys in the snow, since IIRC he has no way of knowing their group took Ellie, let alone that they're pedophile cannibals.)

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

precision posted:

You can drive from Boston to Kansas City with no threat. You can walk from Kansas City to Montana and only meet a nice couple in a cabin. You can then ride from Montana back down to Colorado and only see three guys with a baseball bat.

The entire show is basically one big tetanus metaphor. Never mind zombies, don’t go exploring abandoned buildings, kids, they’re dangerous. Get your vaccines people!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

freebooter posted:

I can sort of see how you'd arrive at this conclusion if you live in America and have to put up with people citing "self-defence" as the reason rednecks should be allowed to open-carry their tactical AR into Subway, but generally speaking, actual self-defence is almost universally considered a justifiable use of violence both morally and legally, and for good reason.

There isn't to my recollection a single point in the show where Joel kills someone who was just minding their own business, including the hospital scene. (Everybody there is complicit in killing a child, even if it's for the greater good). Yes, he does things which are brutal and grim, but nothing he does on-screen in the ten episodes is as bad as what's alluded to in his own past with "I've been on both sides of that" re: ambushing random travellers for material gain.

(The possible exception to this is torturing and killing the two guys in the snow, since IIRC he has no way of knowing their group took Ellie, let alone that they're pedophile cannibals.)

I think there are still plenty of people who wouldn't kill someone else to save their own life. These people can obviously more easily end up dead, but I don't think everyone has it on them to kill even in the one situation nobody will give you guff about it.

I do get what you're saying though, and as I recall anyone Joel and Ellie killed would've killed or done them harm.

Morality is also an abstract luxury of civilization, the people in this post-apocalypse are closer to pre-civ tribes than humans have been for like 8,000 years. All the nicest and least violent people are dead, there's been a huge selective pressure on those who will go to extremes to keep living. Everyone left is rough, if they did X millions years time skip I reckon if humans survive they are markedly more aggressive, paranoid, and violent.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

precision posted:

Every encounter we see with infected leaves someone bit and doomed to die. Seems like a pretty big threat to me.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
Sometimes I think people are not actually paying attention to the shows and movies they watch as much as they think they are. Anyways this show was great, only mild criticism I can levy against it is the pacing did feel a little rushed at times

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Chello De Don posted:

Sometimes I think people are not actually paying attention to the shows and movies they watch as much as they think they are. Anyways this show was great, only mild criticism I can levy against it is the pacing did feel a little rushed at times

yeah its not perfect but my only criticisms are minor or are nitpicky poo poo like my above pet peeves.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Exodor posted:

Every encounter we see with infected leaves someone bit and doomed to die. Seems like a pretty big threat to me.

I find the portrayal of how much a threat the infected are to be interesting in the TV show, particularly since I've seen people elsewhere complain the the comparative lack of zombie smashing scenes makes it look like the world isnt in such a bad shape.

It seems pretty much like if you're away from the QZs you're pretty alright, however the problem becomes how you maintain any of the kinds of transport/trade links required to create a society that isnt a tightly walled insular commune like Jackson. Especially since when you're in non-FEDRA controlled land you're in raider/slaver country.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 14, 2023

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah tagging their mark on stuff in their own base is a little odd. Maybe the reason the dudes in the hospital were such crap shots is they were the PR division? Very gung ho about branding, less so about practicing their tactics and ability to shoot.

"I'm not a terrorist, I'm an influencer"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chello De Don posted:

This was true even before we all had computers in our pockets filled with apps designed to prey on everybody through easy dopamine hits.

Now? People check their phones during the "boring parts" and miss vital information. One shot of one character giving a look changes an entire scene and if you miss it, you've already missed too much. And basically all of us do this. It's bananas.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I almost never watch a show while not also doing some other activity. It would feel bananas to me to just sit and watch and do nothing with my hands. That is basically sleeping.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Khanstant posted:

I almost never watch a show while not also doing some other activity. It would feel bananas to me to just sit and watch and do nothing with my hands. That is basically sleeping.

I do the opposite (if it's something I'm invested in), I really want to pay attention to everything the show / movie has to say, so I intentionally put away stuff that could distract me.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Anyone else unconsciously shout BOGGLE in a hank hill voice as soon as it came on screen?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

everyone wear hats now posted:

Anyone else unconsciously shout BOGGLE in a hank hill voice as soon as it came on screen?

No but I forgot about the Boggle. Is that a thing in the game? Seemed very specific to not come up again.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

With all the love being given to the performances, I wonder if we'll see that trend repeat for any other video game adaptations. It occurs to me that having video of finished cut-scenes from the game, that the director can point to and say "do it like that", could be a tremendously effective directorial tool. Instead of having to just verbally explain what you're going for, you can just show them exactly what tone and emotions and pacing etc you're trying to get. Great help for the actors, too.

It's almost like having really fancy storyboards or something.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Joel did nothing wrong

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

XboxPants posted:

With all the love being given to the performances, I wonder if we'll see that trend repeat for any other video game adaptations. It occurs to me that having video of finished cut-scenes from the game, that the director can point to and say "do it like that", could be a tremendously effective directorial tool. Instead of having to just verbally explain what you're going for, you can just show them exactly what tone and emotions and pacing etc you're trying to get. Great help for the actors, too.

I think problem is that it's a minor miracle to get something like the LoU game happened. Game development is famously chaotic and a lot of times games are recut and poo poo gets moved all around because of gameplay issues so the story takes a backseat. Also game studios don't work like movie studios where they try and get scripts and can sit on them to develop them.

Hell, it's an achievement to have a game script that doesn't suck. Something recent high budget games have been failing utterly. Trying to ask for another LoU is extremely high bar.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Koirhor posted:

Joel did nothing wrong

Hard agree

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Big daddy Joel

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I mentally thought of the Boggle song that Randy Travis stole from Peggy in the country music episode.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

XboxPants posted:

actors hate getting a line reading from a director so I'm pretty sure this would drive them to murder

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Boggle

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TIP posted:

actors hate getting a line reading from a director so I'm pretty sure this would drive them to murder

That... makes a lot of sense. I've never played the game so when I saw a lot of people saying that many of the show's big scenes were word-for-word reproductions of scenes from the game, I figured they were basically just Bella and Pedro acting out the cutscene.

Thundercracker posted:

Hell, it's an achievement to have a game script that doesn't suck. Something recent high budget games have been failing utterly. Trying to ask for another LoU is extremely high bar.

You're definitely right, but I'd still be interested in seeing someone try to do Life is Strange if that ever comes to fruition. I'm not sure what else would even be worth an attempt without massive changes, though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sorry for the doublepost.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 14, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, absolutely. He even said it like Hank did.

TIP posted:

Oh my, yes. This is a huge no-no. You pretty much never tell an actor to mimic another's performance.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Chello De Don posted:

I do the opposite (if it's something I'm invested in), I really want to pay attention to everything the show / movie has to say, so I intentionally put away stuff that could distract me.

Yeah same. I don't want media designed for the terminally distracted

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

I’m gonna hand every single person posting in this thread who has never played the game a pass so they can have the arguments we’ve been having for nearly ten years all over again.

Everyone coming to the “Joel did the right/wrong thing” “Ellie would/wouldn’t let herself be killed to make a cure” “The Fireflies were/weren’t capable of making a cure” arguments, remember these empirical facts:

1) Ellie is a fourteen year old girl.
2) Joel’s decision was selfish and emotional and not anything approaching pragmatic as to whether or not the Fireflies had the actual capability to make a vaccine.
3) That doctor guy that Joel killed is, however, the real deal and if anyone COULD have made a vaccine as a result of Ellie’s death, it’s that guy. The game never says if he would have been successful or not but there you are, he’s not the typical loving clown 99% of all other Fireflies are.
4) The Fireflies is general as an organization and especially in their attempts to accomplish Literally Anything on a grand scale (like say, a worldwide rollout of a vaccine they created) would be almost certainly doomed to fail.

Anyways, have fun with the arguments we’ve been having for a decade! This is genuinely hilarious to watch.

just quoting to contest empirical fact 3). at least in the game, all he had was an undergrad BS in biology. which probably did make him the Fireflies foremost expert on brain surgery, but I wouldn't call him the Real Deal.

that he wasn't as stupid as the rest of the Fireflies and they regarded him as the post apocalypse's fuckin Gregor Mendel or whatever is more damming with faint praise than anything. he was just a regular guy with a bachelor's instead of literally one of the dumbest loving people left on the planet

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 14, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, it's best to let actors read the page and come up with their own interpretation. Speaking of, I think I saw somewhere Bella only just started checking out the game last week or something.

XboxPants posted:

You're definitely right, but I'd still be interested in seeing someone try to do Life is Strange if that ever comes to fruition. I'm not sure what else would even be worth an attempt without massive changes, though.

Acceptable...only if they end it with the Correct choice and condemn Arcadia Bay to annihilation.

Max & Chloe 4 life, yo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Speaking of, I think I saw somewhere Bella only just started checking out the game last week or something.

Her take is very different to Ashley Johnson's; I think I prefer Johnson's Ellie, but Ramsey's take honestly makes more sense and better fits what the show is doing.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

MeinPanzer posted:

The more I think about this episode the more I think it would have been massively improved by having them stay with the Fireflies for a few days or a week before the rampage. Show the medical team doing tests on Ellie. Have a couple of scenes of interaction between Joel and Marlene to establish A) that the Fireflies put some actual thought into what they would do with Ellie but are ultimately uncertain about whether they could be successful, and B) that Joel is skeptical but ultimately trusting. Then have Joel wake up one morning with Ellie gone for more "testing" only to have Marlene tell him that they've decided to take her into surgery.

That would have added maybe an extra ten minutes to this episode but it would both have made the whole situation more believable and given the narrative more much-needed breathing room.

Just another example of the series making a mistake imo deciding to rush through things and also strictly stick to the game in certain parts because yeah I agree this would have been 100% more effective.

Overall I felt like the season was fine, some excellent moments, including episode 3 but it didnt live up to the potential at all of the first couple of episodes and I think lucked out having 2 great actors essentially carrying a lot of it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

precision posted:

Big daddy Joel

Not going to look but the idea of Joel wearing a Bioshock big daddy outfit with Ellie as a little sister must be on the internet somewhere

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Mandrel posted:

just quoting to contest empirical fact 3). at least in the game, all he had was an undergrad BS in biology. which probably did make him the Fireflies foremost expert on brain surgery, but I wouldn't call him the Real Deal.

Where in the game does it say/show he only has a BS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chello De Don posted:

If it's a show I'm invested in every moment and want to really appreciate it and not just the background filler, I'll save it for when I'm sketching or modeling or cleaning or something else my hands can do with mind relatively free. I saved this show for drawing time, maximum attention.

Most media isn't that commanding so I can double fist it and beat a game and watch a show same time.

Movie theatre closest thing I can think of to just watching a thing and nothing else and that's a weird case because you're either in a room designed to trick you into falling asleep in your chair, or next to someone or something so irritating or gross you spend half the time annoyed.