Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This Kang card man. I bought it and so far people lock in the exact same plays after the kang turn. I get why it's just kind of free cubes so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

No Wave posted:

This Kang card man. I bought it and so far people lock in the exact same plays after the kang turn. I get why it's just kind of free cubes so far.

I've only encountered it once, but I get it.. sometimes its either that move or retreat, and Kang could effectively be a bluff or scare tactic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've done the same thing vs kang before just because it's my best play anyways and I would feel dumber losing to make a weaker play. But now that I've seen that it's what so many people do I'll probably try harder to switch the plays.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Been waiting to see who comes up in my token shop but its been Hood for 2 days now. He's not pinned, just not changing.

Oh good a new card in the Token Shop, it's The Hood again, what is happening.

Edit: He's my only missing pool 3 cards so I guess I pull him forever till I get him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well I just ran into a deck that goes Shuri into Nimrod, then kills Nimrod twice in the next two turns with Venom and then Carnage

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aramoro posted:

Edit: He's my only missing pool 3 cards so I guess I pull him forever till I get him

You'll be offered at least one S4 card in that time. If you still have S3s to get I think it's 40:30:20:10 ratio of S3, S4, S5 and Ultimate variants, in that order.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I really don't get this game sometimes. My opponent and I just got Lamentis-1'd. He had Squirrel Girl and Misty Knight out so clearly Patriot. When I play Patriot, most games he never even shows up because the universe hates me. This bastard was able to play Patriot, Mystique, Blue Marvel, and Ultron. I had him until Ultron but like what are the loving odds that he'd get literally everything he'd need in his opener + 3 cards? Christ on bike I need that kind of luck..

Will someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here since this meta seems to work for everyone else?

I don't have Titania or Zero. Those are the only two cards I normally see in this deck that I'm missing. I still feel like this should be pretty strong but I'm either getting hosed by RNG or players who can read my every thought. Should I make any changes or just accept that I'm doomed to failure?

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 14, 2023

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Hobo Clown posted:

Any good Sera decks? Just drew her from a cache. I have Zabu but not Surfer

There's a bunch of great Sera lists but a lot of them rely on having a few other key cards.

The classic Sera Control has gone through an evolution the past like month. If you have Luke Cage, Toxic Sera is a good one work up. If you have Darkhawk, Darkhawk Control is really loving good (especially with Thanos everywhere).

It's a great card for last turn surprises.

New Leaf posted:

I really don't get this game sometimes. My opponent and I just got Lamentis-1'd. He had Squirrel Girl and Misty Knight out so clearly Patriot. When I play Patriot, most games he never even shows up because the universe hates me. This bastard was able to play Patriot, Mystique, Blue Marvel, and Ultron. I had him until Ultron but like what are the loving odds that he'd get literally everything he'd need in his opener + 3 cards? Christ on bike I need that kind of luck..
I had a game the other day where I was playing Thanos. Started with Quinjet, Lockjaw, Mind Time Space stones all in hand. You know I snapped turn one on that. Location 2? Lamentis. Just absolutely owned immediately.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

New Leaf posted:

Will someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here since this meta seems to work for everyone else?

I don't have Titania or Zero. Those are the only two cards I normally see in this deck that I'm missing. I still feel like this should be pretty strong but I'm either getting hosed by RNG or players who can read my every thought. Should I make any changes or just accept that I'm doomed to failure?

I’d drop Zola for a 1 drop. You often want to play Taskmaster/Aero/Marvel on 6 and you sometimes need to fill up a location at the same time to counter an Aero on their side, meaning you need a 1 drop. Probably Nightcrawler.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah you don’t really need Zola in that deck

Ideal is T4 Shuri, T5 Red Skull, T6 Taskmaster

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I finally managed to get Darkhawk today.
Now to actually get any of his supports beyond Korg.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah you don’t really need Zola in that deck

Ideal is T4 Shuri, T5 Red Skull, T6 Taskmaster

Adding to this

Taskmaster and a 1 drop to take a lane or possibly fill up your red skull lane if there’s no cosmo to prevent being aero’d

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Aramoro posted:

I would gladly take him off your hands, The Hood is probably my most wanted card for non-meta reasons right now. This is because I'm apparently addicted to making Cerebro decks, and I'm currently workshopping a Cerebro 6 list using a destroy shell that he would really help tie together.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i had to see this, now you have to see it too LOOK AT IT

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

New Leaf posted:

Agreed that Zola is probably overkill, and not that helpful either since half the time you're protecting your own guy via Armor. I know you don't have Zero or Titania, so consider Yondu, for the deck knowledge and key card destruction highroll .

My version runs Zero and Kang and Vision in place of your Iceman and Zola and Captain Marvel. Zero because sometimes I don't draw Shuri but I still wanna play Red Skull on 5; also synergises with early Lizard, and turn 6 Task/Aero. Kang is Kang, there mostly to do safe Snaps and see if I'm likely to win when I'm feeling iffy of my odds. Vision over Captain Marvel because I prefer the control, and that 1 extra power can make a difference, especially if doubled. Is it as cool as Captain Marvel? No, but I feel like there have been so many games where CM's assessment of what to do is iffy, especially since Carol's priority is to win lanes, not games.

Here're my considerations normally when running the deck:
- Locations matter a lot, especially when you're considering which lanes to Armor and Cosmo. Assuming you get the choice, if say there's the Double Ongoing location, that means you should play Armor there over Cosmo - because if you hit the Red Skull -> Tasky combo, then you can't play Task on the Double Ongoing since On Reveals are blocked if Cosmo's there, which means Red Skull, but he will double benefit the opponent's cards there. Or maybe there's a Double On Reveal location, and you have Shuri and Cosmo...but you see that the opponent also wants to hit On Reveals. Do you double up on Shuri or Cosmo that lane early? (The answer is almost always shut that lane down)
- When you get Bar Sinister (or whichever it is that dupes the card 4 times) you might want to consider Shuri'ing that lane, especially if you have Taskmaster in hand and have set up the other lanes safely.
- Priority matters a lot when considering possible counters. Are they likely to be running Aero or Shang Chi? Against Aero you want to be going first, and against Shang Chi you want to be going second if you don't have protected lanes. If the deck is likely to have both Aero and Shang Chi, chances are they'll use Aero.

While Shuri has a clear gameplan, often you can win by denying the enemy their gameplan. Sure, sometimes it's just another Shuri or someone that drew the nuts. Here are some that I look out for (spoiler: many of these are "Cosmo").
Discard: Normally I am saving that Cosmo unless I drew the nuts. Sometimes that means playing a turn 6 Cosmo on that Invisible Woman lane even when I can Tasky. Other times, it's identifying the non-Morbius, non-Dracula lane, then Cosmo-ing the last lane to block the likely MODOK. Alternatively, if you think it's the Hela variation, Aero on 6. It's really funny.
Wong-likes: Again, Cosmo is bae. Assuming I know it's a low power archetype, I sometimes let them get one Wong off (assuming I think I have enough) then Cosmo/Aero late, on the Odin turn. If it's a standard power one with say White Tiger, then I'm looking to Aero/Cosmo that turn.
Thanos: Cosmo their Lockjaw lane if you can. This one's rough though since they have so many options. If you can't predict which location that Lockjaw is coming down on, maybe go all in on two locations; but it's hard when they can move one of your cards sometimes. Since the deck is relatively tiny, and there's a pretty decent chance of being Leeched, if you can't predict Lockjaw/don't have Cosmo in hand, consider doing a 1 drop play on 3, so that you can drop She Hulk on 4, hopefully before Leech comes into play. This line of play is possible in other matchups, but I feel it's most important to be aware of in this one.
Galactus: Again, Cosmo. Or Aero. If they have a Wolverine out but don't really seem to have a Destroy package going, try to Aero/Cosmo in response to any Wave that comes your way.
Deathwave: If you have priority, Cosmo the Bucky Barnes/Deadpool lane. But generally, you just want to be ahead by turn 6, and Aero. This matchup, you can kinda figure out if you're winning this quite quickly depending on draws since both sides are aiming for win two lanes -> Aero. Yes, sometimes they can get 11 power or more by turn 3, but normally it's only in one lane, so if you feel you can't combat it, spread out quickly.
Ramp: Probably a good matchup for you, especially if they're running the Sandman variant because you will outpower them with relative ease.
Cerebro: All variants of this is tough for me, just because I tend to forget this archetype exists and it looks so innocent for so long. Did they draw Cerebro + Mystique? Uphill battle unless I draw Shuri Red Skull Tasky since there's no way to block ongoing unless you do a psychic Cosmo on Mystique.
Patriot: Haven't seen a lot of this when I run Shuri, but typically outpower them and maybe...Cosmo their Ultron. Or Aero + 1 drop the bot onto an empty lane.
Hazmat: You might want to hold off on playing more small cards and instead focus on a few big bois. And also, Cosmo that Hazmat.

Apologies if some of these seem obvious or redundant. They're rough guidelines for lines of play that I'm looking to hit, and yeah, sometimes I can't do it or I get a bad hand or they drew really well, it happens.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

boar guy posted:

i had to see this, now you have to see it too LOOK AT IT

I get to see it in my collection every day. Jealous?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

she looks like the safety salamander for some reason

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Artelier posted:

Good Shuri stuff

Yeah at a certain point I'm going to have to accept that its me and not the deck. That's kind of why I prefer Captain Marvel to Vision, if I 50/50 which lane they're going to play sometimes she fixes my mistake. I'm just sick of these massive swings. Last night going into today I was climbing again to 44, then as the day progressed I got beat back down to 42. Maybe I'm just destined to stay in my 40's. Earlier seasons I got nearly to 80.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Artelier posted:

Here're my considerations normally when running the deck:
- Locations matter a lot, especially when you're considering which lanes to Armor and Cosmo. Assuming you get the choice, if say there's the Double Ongoing location, that means you should play Armor there over Cosmo - because if you hit the Red Skull -> Tasky combo, then you can't play Task on the Double Ongoing since On Reveals are blocked if Cosmo's there, which means Red Skull, but he will double benefit the opponent's cards there. Or maybe there's a Double On Reveal location, and you have Shuri and Cosmo...but you see that the opponent also wants to hit On Reveals. Do you double up on Shuri or Cosmo that lane early? (The answer is almost always shut that lane down)
- When you get Bar Sinister (or whichever it is that dupes the card 4 times) you might want to consider Shuri'ing that lane, especially if you have Taskmaster in hand and have set up the other lanes safely.
- Priority matters a lot when considering possible counters. Are they likely to be running Aero or Shang Chi? Against Aero you want to be going first, and against Shang Chi you want to be going second if you don't have protected lanes. If the deck is likely to have both Aero and Shang Chi, chances are they'll use Aero.

Shut down double On Reveal? That's crazy, I love playing Shuri on those locations. Same with Sinister London, or Bar Sinister. There's very, very little other decks can do against the ridiculous power you can put down.

Well, except Shang, but a 30 Red Skull is equally vulnerable to Shang as a 240 one so that doesn't matter.

As for counters: if they Aero you on 5, there seems like a 90% chance they Shang you on 6.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I don't have Valkyrie yet, but she seems to be pretty good at dealing with Shuri / taskmaster / red skull shenanigans.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Except that she's on reveal and does nothing if the lane has been Cosmo'd.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

I don't have Valkyrie yet, but she seems to be pretty good at dealing with Shuri / taskmaster / red skull shenanigans.
Sadly, she is not. She handles one specific scenario (red skull behind armor and not cosmo) that aero usually beats anyways. If you have prio she doesnt stop taskmaster and if you dont have prio you lose to aero anyways. She can be the reason you win games but she's not a solid game plan unless you just use her as a 5 mana shang chi.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You snap turn 5 with invisible woman and drop something behind her. I hit her with Rogue and watch your MODOK kill your Hela. We are not the same.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

You snap turn 5 with invisible woman and drop something behind her. I hit her with Rogue and watch your MODOK kill your Hela. We are not the same.

Yeah, if you're counting on invisible woman to protect your poo poo, you gotta be realllllllll careful when you snap because the counters to that are absolutely immense. Cosmo and Aero are both staple tech cards that will 100% gently caress up your day. Combine that with Rogue and Enchantress and you're gonna have a bad time.

I can't count the number of times I've pulled a big combo component off the top of IW on the last turn to gently caress up an entire game for someone.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Valkyrie is good against Galactus isn't she? Fucks up whatever heavy hitter they had lined up for you.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

New Leaf posted:

Valkyrie is good against Galactus isn't she? Fucks up whatever heavy hitter they had lined up for you.

She can't beat Knull, right?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

BoldFace posted:

She can't beat Knull, right?

Ah, I guess not..

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

New Leaf posted:

not really

she's 5 energy, so it's often kind of hard to lose priority vs. the "nerfed" 2 power Galactus and then have enough bodies in the lane to tie/come out ahead

and she's not exactly a great play into Knull

e;fb

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
I prefer Captain Marvel over Vision in a Shuri deck because you can play Captain Marvel into a T6 Aero and she can move back to the lane they were trying to pull you from.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Played a battle mode mode against a friend, I was running Cerebro 2 and they brought a lane control deck with spider/X and Valkyrie of all things. Managed to get ahead by Icemanning their Prof X 4 games in a row, then they got their Valk drops 4 games in a row. I got Cerebro and Mystique down on 6 but they got Valk down to throw off my lanes.

BUT WAIT

After drawing M'baku in my opening hand all 7 games before this, he flies out and wins me the 2nd lane and the match. What a guy.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

very cool game

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Pixeltendo posted:

very cool game

this is a game where you want 4 wolverines, 4 sabertooths, and nothing else

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Does aero randomly pick which card to move in a 'two cards are played but only one spot to move it to' situation? Or is it in the order they are played

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

What's the point of Master Mold? Fill their hand with stuff so they can't draw? Make their Devil Dinos stronger? More discard fodder for their Jared Leto? Seems absurdly niche and borderline unplayable.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

New Leaf posted:

What's the point of Master Mold? Fill their hand with stuff so they can't draw? Make their Devil Dinos stronger? More discard fodder for their Jared Leto? Seems absurdly niche and borderline unplayable.

Master Mold's also weak to Storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0fKnA7UDg

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Combos with Ronan and Maximus I guess. Disrupts non-Modok discard plays

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 14, 2023

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Does aero randomly pick which card to move in a 'two cards are played but only one spot to move it to' situation? Or is it in the order they are played

Random, which is a complaint about her. If it was in order played, or reverse order played, there would be some counterplay available.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

New Leaf posted:

Lmao

If you're not playing on curve from turn 2 you draw no cards the rest of the game. It will enable an entire archetype of hand control with Widow, Iceman, Absorb, Ronan, etc. It hard counters ramp and top end decks that don't play much early.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 14, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If your opponent has a greedy curve or is just getting terrible draws you're denying them different cards from their deck after turn 2. It makes Dracula a less attractive play early on (4 energy for 3 power? eww), it could disrupt Dracula on a later turn. Edit: And yeah, Ronan is a card I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Since buying Aero last night I've gone from hovering at 35 for a week to 55. Seems like a pretty good card.