Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's expensive therapy for restoring essence, about 100,000 per .1 points.

The gist here is that the problem is capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GhostStalker posted:

The thing is that there’s no mechanical way to gain Essence.

Unless you're a vampire! It'll steadily drain away over time though.

wiegieman posted:

There's expensive therapy for restoring essence, about 100,000 per .1 points.

The gist here is that the problem is capitalism.

True, but you can't use it to get over the normal human baseline of essence. Also specifically doesn't restore essence lost to Leonization, so no actual immortality if you're rich enough yet.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the fact they didn't make Leonization just straight-up "its vampirism minus a couple of the more obvious vampire side effects" was a real missed opportunity

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the fact they didn't make Leonization just straight-up "its vampirism minus a couple of the more obvious vampire side effects" was a real missed opportunity
That is what they did, though. The HMHVV thing mentioned before (well, one strain of it at least) is what causes vampirism (the first V is for "vampirism").

Sure, they aren't literally sucking you dry or anything, but most people who get it are corporate executives so they were already metaphorically doing that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NeverHelm posted:

That is what they did, though. The HMHVV thing mentioned before (well, one strain of it at least) is what causes vampirism (the first V is for "vampirism").

Sure, they aren't literally sucking you dry or anything, but most people who get it are corporate executives so they were already metaphorically doing that.

which is why the literally needing to do it would have been a good, also entertaining gag. congrats, we can give you... LEONIZATION! just, uh. come over for dinner. no reason

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's really funny it came around to that because the original legend for vampires is really, really, really unsubtle.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

100% it should require them to process poor people by the dozens for the materials. Subtlety is useless, come at it with a goddam sledgehammer or people won't get it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
wiegieman, there's a Mr. Thiel calling on line one for you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GhostStalker posted:

IIRC it’s eventually ruinous on your Essence (you have to keep getting the treatments, and it’s a minor Essence hit every time? Even getting breast or penis implants costs you 0.25 Essence IIRC in one of the 5th Edition ‘ware splatbooks, and you start out with 6 Essence points at character creation) so that’s a baseline I guess you can use), and is supposed to be developed from horribly unethical (natch) biomedical megacorp research on HMHVV (aka the virus that turns metahumans into ghouls and other nasty creatures), so that’s a thing.

So what you're telling me is that I can have 20 dicks and still be functional but once I get that 21st I turn into a cyberzombie.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That's how most tables run it in practice yeah.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

KataraniSword posted:

So what you're telling me is that I can have 20 dicks and still be functional but once I get that 21st I turn into a cyberzombie.

I'm fairly sure that that's Numberwang.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The way I see it, having particularly *high* Essence should have a similar effect, as you become increasingly untethered from material reality and closer to kaleidoscopic lights and mesmerizing flows beyond it.

Go too low, and you're a machine. Go too high, and you're a spirit trapped in a fetish of meat and bone.

Go low enough and you're a human spirit trapped inside a fetish of machinery and rotting flesh!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

More if you get alphaware dicks, even more with betaware dicks and deltaware dicks of course. Twice as many with gammaware dicks.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

KataraniSword posted:

Your math seems off here, but RAW, you’re probably correct.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

no, you die unless a necromancer makes it so you only wish you were dead.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

BUILD ME A CYBERZOMBIE WITH ALL OF THE DICKS, ALL OF THEM

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Shadowrun: The Malatoran Job

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

There have to be some rich idiots investing heavily in full cyber dracomorph design.
building a functional body in the size of an actual dragon is probably impossible because of the amount of mass involved but something closer to human size that can fly is definitely on the table.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

By popular demand posted:

There have to be some rich idiots investing heavily in full cyber dracomorph design.
building a functional body in the size of an actual dragon is probably impossible because of the amount of mass involved but something closer to human size that can fly is definitely on the table.

Drakes do exist as servitors of the Greater Dragons and the like, so I would think any corp trying to make something similar would likely tread very carefully, lest they end up bought out by SK, their research shut down, and then become the next person Lofywr douses in ketchup.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
At some point, you might as well just upload your consciousness into whatever robot shell suits your fancy.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Boat Stuck posted:

At some point, you might as well just upload your consciousness into whatever robot shell suits your fancy.
Probably would need to do it anyway. As we've learned in the previous game, a Panzerdrohne makes for a good stepping stone towards a dragon body.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Leonization discussion gave me the idea for a character: A regular runner, whatever sort of low-cyber low-magic type strikes my fancy, but with only 5 essence (minus cyberware) and an immense knowledge of history (and/or one specific megacorp) and tendency to talk about it in first-person. I'd need to talk to my friend that knows a lot more about Shadowrun, but "Leonized CEO now a runner for whatever reason" strikes me as a cool concept. Like maybe the Leonization bankrupted their corp or something.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Dareon posted:

The Leonization discussion gave me the idea for a character: A regular runner, whatever sort of low-cyber low-magic type strikes my fancy, but with only 5 essence (minus cyberware) and an immense knowledge of history (and/or one specific megacorp) and tendency to talk about it in first-person. I'd need to talk to my friend that knows a lot more about Shadowrun, but "Leonized CEO now a runner for whatever reason" strikes me as a cool concept. Like maybe the Leonization bankrupted their corp or something.

Not necessarily a CEO, it's not that expensive. But there's definitely corporate executives that were diligent about putting creds into their 401k who get to the point of actually being able to cash out and retire and then decide "Nah, gently caress it, lets try a new game + instead"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Probably more popular than people would think: Plenty of obscenely rich persons make powerful enemies to run from,
and also shadowrunners often become popular legendary figures to idiots who have no idea how brutal the world is outside a corporate arcology.

How many of those 'I can totally become an underworld action hero' types actually survive the first 48 hours is not known.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Probably more popular than people would think: Plenty of obscenely rich persons make powerful enemies to run from,
and also shadowrunners often become popular legendary figures to idiots who have no idea how brutal the world is outside a corporate arcology.

How many of those 'I can totally become an underworld action hero' types actually survive the first 48 hours is not known.

“I’ve played a ton of Miracle Shooter and have the best skillsofts my A megacorp nuyen can buy! I got this!”

They did not in fact have this.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Even better is when Mr Johnson adds that your team has to take the CEO's failson who has delusions of being a shadowrunner along so that he gets it all out of his system, and make sure that he doesn't realise you're all in on it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Whybird posted:

Even better is when Mr Johnson adds that your team has to take the CEO's failson who has delusions of being a shadowrunner along so that he gets it all out of his system, and make sure that he doesn't realise you're all in on it.

Seems like an excellent opportunity for an enterprising team of runners. Whatever the run was before, it's now a ransom situation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

GhostStalker posted:

“I’ve played a ton of Miracle Shooter and have the best skillsofts my A megacorp nuyen can buy! I got this!”

They did not in fact have this.

Military grade cyberware: hundreds of thousands Nuyen
Crude shiv that sliced your vulnerable human neck when a gang of desperate randos spotted you standing alone with your shiny chrome and thanked God for the payday: negligible

He only managed to wound a couple

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

I dont know posted:

Seems like an excellent opportunity for an enterprising team of runners. Whatever the run was before, it's now a ransom situation.

An excellent opportunity for a team of runners to get chased down by top line corpsec who knows exactly where to find them at the behest of a very furious corp exec, and every fixer no longer taking their calls because a team that shivs you in the back after they've accepted your mission is a team that can't be relied on.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Military grade cyberware: hundreds of thousands Nuyen
Crude shiv that sliced your vulnerable human neck when a gang of desperate randos spotted you standing alone with your shiny chrome and thanked God for the payday: negligible

He only managed to wound a couple

Too cheap to get Dermal Armor or Bone Lacing to cover that vulnerability or at least a lined coat or an armored business suit? Corp brat was asking for it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

But you see in those thrilling holo-novellas nobody ever fights this dirty!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"While I was engaging one of them in honorable combat, the other three sidled around behind me and hit me in the back of the head with pipes, which never happens to Lance Chrome."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dareon posted:

"While I was engaging one of them in honorable combat, the other three sidled around behind me and hit me in the back of the head with pipes, which never happens to Lance Chrome."
"And when I woke up, instead of being tied to a chair and interrogated by a sultry and morally-conflicted Elven doctor with attractively-messy hair, I was in a dumpster getting peed on by a rat while an ork shaman went through my pockets."

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

girl dick energy posted:

"And when I woke up, instead of being tied to a chair and interrogated by a sultry and morally-conflicted Elven doctor with attractively-messy hair, I was in a dumpster getting peed on by a rat while an ork shaman went through my pockets."

Well? Did the ork shaman have attractively messy hair? :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Quackles posted:

Well? Did the ork shaman have attractively messy hair? :v:
Judge for yourself, chummer.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

But you see in those thrilling holo-novellas nobody ever fights this dirty!

Trideo-novella, most likely. Or a BTL/Kong Chip/CalHot, if they’re a corp brat “living on the edge”.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

girl dick energy posted:

Judge for yourself, chummer.

Sure, good enough.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Our new proprietary perception filters can help you with that. Just slot this personafix and you'll be seeing the sultriest orc you've ever seen as you awaken in a remarkably clean dumpster.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Our new proprietary perception filters can help you with that. Just slot this personafix and you'll be seeing the sultriest orc you've ever seen as you awaken in a remarkably clean dumpster.

That's just a bottle of Tequila.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
A bottle of enchanted tequila made by skilled Tijuana elves!