Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The Kins posted:

One final :rolleyes:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

[list]
[*]System Shock Remake has received one final delay to May 30th.

Any word on how/if it's running on Steam Deck?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

John Murdoch posted:

There's actually a post-mortem out there about it.

Whereabouts? I'd like to listen to/read the skinny on that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

Bioshock 2 also sends you to the actually interesting parts of Rapture from an environmental storytelling perspective, instead of the dumb theme park locations Bioshock 1 is entirely set in.

Bioshock 2 literally sends you to a theme park.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

I swear this just ended up turning into Prey.

Yes, thank you, this is the one I was thinking of earlier. gently caress this looks so bad, at least to my eyes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yes, thank you, this is the one I was thinking of earlier. gently caress this looks so bad, at least to my eyes.

You can see what they were going for but "watch out for the scribble that jumps on people's faces" doesn't look fun at all

Vakal
May 11, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

There's actually a post-mortem out there about it. Allegedly the main reason for the retool was because none of the early ideas came together into an actual functional game (with a layer of mismanagement on top, mind). If I'm remembering right, the earliest version wasn't even a combat-centric game. You were an investigator creeping around trying to document and research the alien threat, which gels with the body snatcher black goo stuff.

That sounds like a more interesting game. Basically it would be like L.A.Noire, but you are investigating the stereotypical TV-American family of the 1950s trying to find out which are actually alien infiltrators in disguise.

It would be sales poison for sure, but still a better game than what we got.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1761270/HalfLife_MMod/

Half-Life MMod is out finally.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

suddenly it was an action-tactics hybrid heavily aping off of the Mass Effect 2 model.

It was actually just a Brothers-in-Arms-lite game. It was also pretty good! The combat was passable but the setting and plot were cool.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Playing Terminal Velocity Boosted Edition and it's... fine? Just a barebones port. It makes me want to play Magic Carpet again though. Wonder if that ever gets a 'remaster'.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Terminally Bored posted:

Playing Terminal Velocity Boosted Edition and it's... fine? Just a barebones port. It makes me want to play Magic Carpet again though. Wonder if that ever gets a 'remaster'.

I don’t understand why there’s not a modern spiritual remake of Magic Carpet. You could even give it a retro presentation - even if all you did was incremental stuff like increase the draw distance, improve the fidelity of the height map, use higher res sprites & textures, bump up the resolutions, etc it would look great.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wonder if Microsoft would allow them to remaster Hellbender? Had anything else they published outside of AOE been rereleased anywhere?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah, Chip's Challenge

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

John Murdoch posted:

There's actually a post-mortem out there about it. Allegedly the main reason for the retool was because none of the early ideas came together into an actual functional game (with a layer of mismanagement on top, mind). If I'm remembering right, the earliest version wasn't even a combat-centric game. You were an investigator creeping around trying to document and research the alien threat, which gels with the body snatcher black goo stuff.

That sounds... well, I'm not good at adventure games, so I'd be frustrated as gently caress but I absolutely love that idea. I cannot imagine it'd sell well at all.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

What's the renderer like?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

david_a posted:

I don’t understand why there’s not a modern spiritual remake of Magic Carpet. You could even give it a retro presentation - even if all you did was incremental stuff like increase the draw distance, improve the fidelity of the height map, use higher res sprites & textures, bump up the resolutions, etc it would look great.

One dev tried to make exactly that but the game never left early access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/269610/Arcane_Worlds/

Woolie Wool posted:

What's the renderer like?

It has better draw distance and 16:9 (and 16:10) monitor support. You can only choose the resolution at the start and all the graphics options in game are the same as in the original (you can choose between VGA and SVGA in-game, for example). There also seems to be a weird stutter when things get busy on screen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah, Chip's Challenge

Chip's was an Epyx game that Microsoft licensed, so not one of theirs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

It's been ages since I've played Bioshock and don't remember much plot besides the big twist and the dumb bossfight (but still have SS2 seared into my mind). What was copied?

edit: Oh, the betrayal, right?

You awaken to the city/starship of the future with no idea what's going on except that everything is hosed up and it's been overrun with killer robots and violent mutants. Your only ally and source of guidance is a voice on the radio who fills you in on what's been going on and gives you objectives as you work together to solve the problem. You eventually find and kill the Big Bad, at which point your radio friend reveals that they've been manipulating you the entire time, using you as a tool to dispose of a rival evil so they can then kill you and take complete control. You track down and kill them too in an anticlimactic boss fight.

I think there's smaller parts of BS1 that map 1:1 to locations, characters, or plot beats in SS2 too, but it's been a long time since I played it and I'm not about to replay it to check.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean, a lot of that is just 'sequel' instead of 'copied writing'. If you didn't wake up alone in a facility gone to hell the game wouldn't have been well received.

Having the voice comms person be the big baddie was probably too rehashed yea, which is what I said.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

If we’re touching up medium tier DOS games how about an updated Outwars

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Chip's was an Epyx game that Microsoft licensed, so not one of theirs.

They licensed the IP but the Windows version was still one they developed and published. It's also the version that was used for the Steam re-release. I say it counts.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

ToxicFrog posted:

You awaken to the city/starship of the future with no idea what's going on except that everything is hosed up and it's been overrun with killer robots and violent mutants. Your only ally and source of guidance is a voice on the radio who fills you in on what's been going on and gives you objectives as you work together to solve the problem. You eventually find and kill the Big Bad, at which point your radio friend reveals that they've been manipulating you the entire time, using you as a tool to dispose of a rival evil so they can then kill you and take complete control. You track down and kill them too in an anticlimactic boss fight.

I think there's smaller parts of BS1 that map 1:1 to locations, characters, or plot beats in SS2 too, but it's been a long time since I played it and I'm not about to replay it to check.

I've only played SS2 in co-op (which was awesome and how everyone should play it) but anticlimactic boss fight is underselling it. We were planning on hacking the terminals for the kill but the boss showed up unexpectedly and we just. . . killed it with an assault rifle and the crystal melee weapon thing. I think I only had to heal once. SS2 is an excellent game and everyone should play it but it really falls flat about 90% of the way through.

Fun thing I learned from my co-op buddy: There are giant spiders in the game, which gave arachnophobes some real trouble so a "no spiders" mod was released almost immediately. My buddy has a copy of that first attempt at a mod! All it does is remove the spider model. This has the effect of not rendering the spider and removing its hitbox, so you can walk through it. It does not remove the spider entity, so you end up with rooms where you can hear spiders running around, which can attack and poison you while you look for the now invisible, immortal spiders. I'm not arachnophobic but trying that on a lark was possibly one of the most panic-inducing moments I've had in video games.
If you're looking to play SS2 nowdays please know that was fixed real quickly and the no-spider mods work as intended.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

If you're looking to play SS2 nowdays please know that was fixed real quickly and the no-spider mods work as intended.
Although it doesn't fix a spider corpse on Deck 5 which is actually a chest.
Gave me a fright, that one.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1633635040906162176

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It was actually just a Brothers-in-Arms-lite game. It was also pretty good! The combat was passable but the setting and plot were cool.

The final game has a slow motion command mode, flashy spell-like special abilities, and a mission-based structure punctuated with returns to HQ where you can interact with NPCs, manage squadmates, pick up side quests, etc. It's been a while but I think it also even has a dialogue wheel. Plus an emphasis on a single chosen one protagonist.

I'm only lightly familiar with BiA; I'm sure there's some overlap like having a cover system, but overall it screams ME2. (Which, to be clear, isn't passing judgement on the game for it, I actually dig it.) The earlier tactics/action mix possibly resembled BiA moreso. :shrug:

Edit: Wait a minute, Brothers in Arms was also first-person!

catlord posted:

That sounds... well, I'm not good at adventure games, so I'd be frustrated as gently caress but I absolutely love that idea. I cannot imagine it'd sell well at all.

It wasn't an adventure game, I think more of a stealth + photography mix ala Beyond Good and Evil. But the vibe I get is that they never satisfactorily answered the question of what you actually do after sneaking around and taking pictures of aliens. There was nothing to tie it all together.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 15, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Looks like they've given the remaster out to anyone who'd bought the stand-alone, not-part-of-some-compilation version of the DOS game on Steam or GOG. Which is nice of them!

Tiny Timbs posted:

They licensed the IP but the Windows version was still one they developed and published. It's also the version that was used for the Steam re-release. I say it counts.
The Steam re-release is a new version put together in 2015.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Upon seeing Gordon's feet, I now know how Leonard Nimoy felt when he first saw the inspiration for the Vulcan hand sign.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
HL1 never felt as if it had any draw to me, while other retro stuff did/does. I know it's a hard question to answer without a bias, but is it worth playing MMod in that context? Does HL1 really stand up decades later, like say for example a good Doom wad might? There's a lot of hours afaik in that campaign.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HL1 is like a picaresque FPS in that its a bunch of gimmick based concepts stitched together in a seemingly arbitrary order to make a campaign. Some work better than others, but as a whole they are a fun adventure that really changed how FPS games worked*.

Im actually somewhat surprised there isn't a mod that gives you save points at each chapter start so you can do your favorites.

*gently caress tram ride openings

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Serephina posted:

HL1 never felt as if it had any draw to me, while other retro stuff did/does. I know it's a hard question to answer without a bias, but is it worth playing MMod in that context? Does HL1 really stand up decades later, like say for example a good Doom wad might? There's a lot of hours afaik in that campaign.

I used to think the same until I finally decided to finish the game with the raytracing mod last month. I think it's worth checking it out, the story flows well, the platforming parts kinda pissed me off but no big deal. The MMod might make the experience a bit smoother.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Perritos calientes oh my goooood

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

I'm only lightly familiar with BiA; I'm sure there's some overlap like having a cover system, but overall it screams ME2. (Which, to be clear, isn't passing judgement on the game for it, I actually dig it.) The earlier tactics/action mix possibly resembled BiA moreso. :shrug:

Edit: Wait a minute, Brothers in Arms was also first-person!

The difference is mostly that BiA doesn't let the player get away with ignoring the squad commands - you basically have to micromanage the squad actively and use them as your "primary weapon" 99% of the time if you want to do anything. The Bureau is much closer to that than to Mass Effect, where it's perfectly fine to just ignore your squad members and let the AI pilot them except for the occasional "use power on baddies" order.

BiA is a series I wish they'd bring back, but alas, it's Gearbox. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 15, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Barudak posted:

*gently caress tram ride openings

The worst is when you get 90% of the way through the game before it hits you with one. I'm looking at you, Crysis! Well, not quite a tram ride but following behind a guy who walks faster than your walking speed but slower than your running speed who gives exposition while you see interesting stuff happening around you in a military/scientific setting, so effectively one.

Lemon-Lime posted:

BiA is a series I wish they'd bring back, but alas, it's Gearbox. :(

Well, there's always Battleborn :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<me falling down a well with infinite depth> Battleborne was greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
NARRATOR: It wasn't.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

I mean, a lot of that is just 'sequel' instead of 'copied writing'. If you didn't wake up alone in a facility gone to hell the game wouldn't have been well received.

Having the voice comms person be the big baddie was probably too rehashed yea, which is what I said.

Most people who received Bioshock at all never played SS2.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Turin Turambar posted:

Most people who received Bioshock at all never played SS2.

Sure, but it heavily marketed itself as a 'spiritual successor' to SS2, hence you'd expect some SS-like themes in there. It's not really copying the writing/script up until a few other things happen that are more than just setting.

edit: and it's a good thing, too. When Bioshock:Infinite hit, the visual theme was strong, the writing atrocious, and quite frankly it'd have been well served by having a stronger survival theme and revisiting of areas.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 15, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Serephina posted:

HL1 is an interesting one to pin down in the context of playing an "old school FPS". I guess it's one of our earliest examples of a classic shooter where the shooting wasn't necessarily the main draw of the game. As a single player narrative campaign, it by and large looks and plays like every other FPS campaign you've played in the 25 years since - IMO even moreso than something like System Shock 2, Deus Ex or Thief.

id's classics or the Build Engine games have proven themselves pretty timeless as far as "boomer shooters" go. Even if you don't give a poo poo about anything else, they are otherwise simple enough to play and revisit that the gunplay speaks for itself. I think the experience of hopping into a run of any one Doom episode or a near-limitless list of WAD's is very different to committing yourself to a 25 year old, 15 hour solo campaign that sort of looks like all the other single player campaigns you've played over the last 2 decades.

That said - personally I still love HL1 and would always recommend anyone play it. It remains a great game and remains totally worth playing, on top of its historical importance. I think HL1 may just require a mindset adjustment in the context of classic or "boomer" shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins posted:

Looks like they've given the remaster out to anyone who'd bought the stand-alone, not-part-of-some-compilation version of the DOS game on Steam or GOG. Which is nice of them!

The Steam re-release is a new version put together in 2015.

Yup, sounds right. I didn't get it as part of the old Apogee bundle on Steam but I did receive it on GOG.

User reviews note that the controls are still the same tho, which is the reason why it didn't hold up to me some years ago. To be honest, I don't if they could be improved, perhaps should just come to terms that you are slamming into surfaces a whole lot instead of being a graceful sci-fi pilot.