Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sunk Dunk posted:

I have a dumb question. Why do the names of the constructors change so much? For example I saw someone mention Audi and I was thinking to myself Audi doesn’t have a team that I know of. Then I saw they will be replacing Alfa.

Is this branding, or the manufacturer supplying the parts?

When Andretti gets in his team will be called something like Jimmy johns freaky fast Andretti GMC I’m lovin it

Current Alfa Romeo is actually a team called Sauber who Alfa Romeo is paying to brand their cars as Alfa Romeo for marketing purposes. Audi is buying the team itself and will be supplying engines for the car when their purchase goes through in 2026.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
which is better? tires that last the full race + refueling? or no refueling + you gotta change tires all the time?

my impression from older races is that full race tires + refueling makes better racing, plus more exciting pit lane screwups

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sunk Dunk posted:

I have a dumb question. Why do the names of the constructors change so much? For example I saw someone mention Audi and I was thinking to myself Audi doesn’t have a team that I know of. Then I saw they will be replacing Alfa.

When Andretti gets in his team will be called something like Jimmy johns freaky fast Andretti GMC I’m lovin it

constructors change because running an F1 team costs like a quarter billion dollars a year and if you want to win you need at least another 300 million in your catering budget because your caterers only do lunch in the wind tunnel

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

the paradigm shift posted:

they'd still gently caress it up by making him shave his eyebrow or something

You can't do that, he'd lose all his powers

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

the milk machine posted:

which is better? tires that last the full race + refueling? or no refueling + you gotta change tires all the time?

my impression from older races is that full race tires + refueling makes better racing, plus more exciting pit lane screwups

If it's at a real course and not an oval, Indycar is interesting to watch in this respect. Those cars must have a fuel cell the size of my bladder, they're refueling like every 8 laps at Road America.

Also I think the car designs looks pretty cool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pit lane refueling is fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAa6JW2rMg0

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

If it's at a real course and not an oval, Indycar is interesting to watch in this respect. Those cars must have a fuel cell the size of my bladder, they're refueling like every 8 laps at Road America.

Also I think the car designs looks pretty cool

i enjoy watching indycar when they're not doing ovals. the street circuit at st pete was a shitshow

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I think it’s kinda cool they mix road and ovals in Indy

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the milk machine posted:

Full fuel + tyre changing is the second best, but there's a large gap between that and the absolute best, which is tyres + refuelling.
Full race tyres was the nadir of all formulae.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sunk Dunk posted:

I think it’s kinda cool they mix road and ovals in Indy

it's neat they mix them, i just find oval racing to be mostly pretty boring to watch for more than a few minutes

Khablam posted:

Full fuel + tyre changing is the second best, but there's a large gap between that and the absolute best, which is tyres + refuelling.

interesting, i gotta find some tires + refueling races to watch

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
All this Indy and full race tires talk is reminding me of the greatest race in F1 history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY1K1QcwHH0

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

FAUXTON posted:

constructors change because running an F1 team costs like a quarter billion dollars a year and if you want to win you need at least another 300 million in your catering budget because your caterers only do lunch in the wind tunnel

lol

Khablam posted:

khablam is correct on this one

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Saying “I like Indycar except for the ovals” is like saying “I listen to everything but rap”

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The Illusive Man posted:

Saying “I like Indycar except for the ovals” is like saying “I listen to everything but rap”

ovals are country

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
max was just bodying people online in iracing this week in the new formula ford car. this is why i like him, never stops racing. kiss me max

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

max was just bodying people online in iracing this week in the new formula ford car. this is why i like him, never stops racing. kiss me max

yet he complains when he's on the receiving end :thunk:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

The Illusive Man posted:

rap doesn’t put me to sleep though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ArmZ posted:

yet he complains when he's on the receiving end :thunk:

"What an idiot. This guy only knows how to drive and start in first."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Sunk Dunk posted:

Mostly because they sell the name-drop as the prime advertising slot, like how football stadiums get random brand names. It's why Mercedes is AMG Petronas Mercedes.

To a lesser degree, there is some attrition and reselling of the smaller teams, especially when they exist as some millionaire's weekend hobby rather than semi-sustainable business - especially since it's much, much easier to buy an underperforming existing team than build a new one from the grounds up (and be accepted to the sport at all). Right now, it's the saga of whatever the Strolls are doing.

To an even lesser degree, there's some marketing execs making marketing choices, as these teams are usually marketing vessels for their owners - I'm thinking about Renault -> Alpine and Redbull 2: Electric Boogaloo -> Alphatauri.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Elendil004 posted:

I want to get into the current season so I dont know if I can take a break and do a whole older f1 season.

I would recommend watching the older season reviews with Clive James, something like this playlist. Each season review is only about as long as a race so it's a lot easier to get through.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the milk machine posted:

interesting, i gotta find some tires + refueling races to watch
1994 to 2009 is the primary refuelling era. 2005 is the bad year™
Overall 94-99 is probably F1's best run of years.

Hungary 98 and France 2004 to understand why the Schumacher + Ross Braun dream team won for 5 years running.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Khablam posted:

1994 to 2009 is the primary refuelling era. 2005 is the bad year™
Overall 94-99 is probably F1's best run of years.

Hungary 98 and France 2004 to understand why the Schumacher + Ross Braun dream team won for 5 years running.

ah yeah i've seen some from 2005, lol

tyvm for the recommendations

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Spa 98 if you’d like to understand how strategy worked with having a single reserve car for the team.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spa 21 if you’d like to understand how strategy worked with having a single lap for the race.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Monaco 96 if you'd like to see some real nonsense we'll never get again due to modern F1 being terrified of letting people drive when it's damp

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hakkinen years best years

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Spa 21 if you’d like to understand how strategy worked with having a single lap for the race.

Spa 21 if you'd like to figure out how a car doesn't start the race because of a crash on the formation lap, but then finishes 7th.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Abu Dhabi '21 if you want to see them go car racing.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I've been watching the 2006 season (Alonso + Renault combo) and the cars are loud as gently caress. The commentators are still poo poo though.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Spa 2021 to see Williams last podium finish

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Spa 2021 is both the longest and the shortest F1 race, also.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Isn't Canada 2011 like 8 hours or something?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

Oh yeah you might be right, woops.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Canada 2011 owns. They changed the rules afterwards because it owned for such a large amount of time.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
you gotta watch chechnya 46 if u want real racing

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MustardFacial posted:

The broadcast (which you can find on archive.org and other places) is 5:30 long.
The actual race was classified at 4hrs and something, which means the winner's average speed for the race is something like 50mph.

Please don't spoil that for anyone mad enough to see these recommendations and watch it all.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Pretty sure 4/5 of the Baku races have been amazing

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just watching Drive to survive now. This episode where Mick keeps crashing is spot on. Gunther talking trash about him to Gene is even better.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
hi gene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sunk Dunk posted:

Some teams aren’t actually owned by the company with its name on the team. Other teams are but also sell naming rights or change the name a little bit to emphasize whatever the parent wants to emphasize, like how Merc is Mercedes-Benz AMG Petronas: Merc wants to put its AMG branding in an obvious spot and Petronas also gives them money. Alfa Romeo is actually a private racing company called Sauber, as mentioned, but sold its naming rights. The same is true for this year’s Aston Martin team; it’s not owned by AM, it just sold its branding rights. The Aston Martin branding used to be stuck on the Red Bull and that team was called Aston Martin Red Bull.

If the branding is of a car company there’s usually some claim that the team is benefiting from their technical expertise but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything real.

Branding exercises can get complicated for arcane reasons or for simple ones like people doing business without getting along. Red Bull engines used to say TAG Heuer on them back when they were made by Renault for reasons that I think have to do with Christian Horner being a dick.