Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

The cannolis of wrath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
this thread is so much slower today. sad.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao if the market and bitcoin banzai happened because tech fools no longer trust banks and had to shove money somewhere.

Imagine being the CFO of SVB, just recently fired and seeing Cathie loving Woods ravaging the corpse of your bank

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

anime was right posted:

me screaming into the void

you cant do that i have it trademarked damnit.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1635761697829928963?s=20

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Call Hootington on his drive home from work.

that reminds me, :wtc:

quote:

So the National Distracted Driving Coalition is attempting to pull together data from academics and other researchers, safety groups and commercial operations to better identify and understand the issues involved.

In December, the group released a report packed with data from studies and surveys, including one survey of consumers that showed 67% of respondents were “concerned” about hand-held phone use while driving — and about a third were not. Concern about texting while driving reached 80%.

The report includes 2022 survey results from the Travelers insurance company that showed:

* 77% said they used their phone while driving
* 74% used cellphone maps
* 56% read a text or email
* 27% updated or checked social media
* 19% — 1 out of 5 — shopped online while driving.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1635750162860572673?s=20

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I shop for a new car while I drive so I can just get in the new one when I crash

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Mirthless posted:

Fuckin hate education snobbery, there is nothing wrong with a GED

High school fails to help a lot of kids, you gotta have a plan B for our lovely and broken system

Im sure it's some home school nonsense with bohbert so gently caress her but dunking on GED holders is classist and lovely as hell

My Uncle and Aunt are like this. Their opinion can be synthesized to whoever the most credentialed person they've heard speak on an issue with no dissent or critical thinking.

Last time out to dinner around Christmas they kept asking me for the equivalent of bibliography in conversation. I was talking about an Atlantic article that pierced their veil (their son is studying neurogedenerative diseases, i thought it would interest them) about Alzheimer's fraud from a Nature article and they kept interrupting me to ask who wrote it and who published the study. I had to take my phone out and send a link before they'd stop scowling like it was 4chan and engage. The idea that academics would do a capitalism and cash in on a broken system even if it hurt people is too antithetical for them to be curious.

Mind you my Uncle went to school for cinematography at UCLA and got a job on wall street np after being unemployed for 6 years. He retired from Bear Stearns in 2007.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Crazypoops posted:

What's a good doomsday economics podcast

odd lots if you wanna know what the capitalist class is thinking (and hearing)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:mrgw:

https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1635761939702751232

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/GRDecter/status/1635322707746357254

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Imagine being the CFO of SVB, just recently fired and seeing Cathie loving Woods ravaging the corpse of your bank

If that CFO had been even borderline competent the bank wouldn't have gone under. There was no structural reason it had to happen. They were just really loving bad at investing their prestigious bank's plentiful assets and managed to inflict enough damage on themselves to trigger a panic.

The myth of the meritocracy must surely be dead by now.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Hmmm. "Strong and stable". Where have I heard those words before? Oh, right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRKuxNo6xY

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

BULBASAUR posted:

gpt 4 describes dick sucking with better detail

They trained it on your posts?!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

They are so far behind there. We've got like 2-3 generations worse off than their parents already. Get with the modern economic order Australia.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i checked the numbers and YoY they really arent that dramatic

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1635766376542478336

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

JamesKPolk posted:

my IT infra homies and I were all super into that David Graeber book. It's honestly not the worst setting to get into alienation of labor, especially if the stuff you're supporting isn't particularly accessible

poo poo, I went to college w/ people who were getting inducted to the capitalist class in real time (like FAANG => yc founders and poo poo like that) and THEY'RE loving bernie bros (I mean maybe those are incompatible but). if you think capitalism isn't a dead end, SV is probably one of the places you're looking to save it. thats loving stupid but I mean that's a tougher realization to come to when you've been handed 6 figure work even before you graduated

as with all things (boomers, tech bros, soldiers, etc) it's a good idea to look at the material conditions that make those ideological choices easy for an individual to make (why ARE we rewarding a fart delivery app front end person over a switchboard engineer?) rather than ascribe these things to a particular personality flaw w/ the individual or cohort in question
medicare for all was supported by Dr. Trump

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

Hmmm. "Strong and stable". Where have I heard those words before? Oh, right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoRKuxNo6xY

were strong and stably heading towards being hosed

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

bagual posted:

First they came for the tut-tutsis

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Same with dailykos, down since last night.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Frosted Flake posted:

Is there not a Tom Clancy novel where basically that happens - the government determines that the market crashing is the result of nefarious foreign enemies, so they just don't permit it to, or something?

yes they roll back the market like a week or something i believe

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Last month, Reddit said it responded to a “data security incident” in which a hacker used “a sophisticated phishing campaign” and accessed some internal documents and business information. The company said it became aware of the phishing attack on Feb. 5 and that info the attack accessed may have included “limited Reddit code, limited contact information for a small number of company contacts and employees (current and former), as well as limited advertiser information.” According to Reddit, no high-risk data was accessed such as credit card details, company financial information, account passwords, campaign strategy or performance.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
reddit campaign strategy

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
it was a real epiphany when I realized that sophisticated high end hacking is effectively the same art as prank calling businesses into closing early or turning off their breaker switches

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

it was a real epiphany when I realized that sophisticated high end hacking is effectively the same art as prank calling businesses into closing early or turning off their breaker switches

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh no!

Anyway....

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

non functional tokens

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kreeblah posted:

It's a more efficient layout for managers who like to wander over to interrupt groups of people doing actual work and blather on about irrelevant poo poo in order to feel important.

yeah pretty much

there's tons of studies that show it kills productivity, no body cares

just like "back to the office" it's insecure middle/exec managers who have to face that they're loving worthless and deciding to just ruin everyone elses lives rather than deal with it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nyt but i'm 40 and :mood:

https://archive.ph/eulEu

quote:

This isn’t what middle-class millennials thought midlife would be like. Our childhoods were marked by an unusually high level of prosperity in the United States and the expectation that such stability would continue.
When William Strauss and Neil Howe published a best seller in 2000 called “Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation,” they remarked that millennials were “kids who’ve never known a year in which America doesn’t get richer.” They described an “upbeat,” “optimistic” and diverse set of Americans coming of age.

While they acknowledged that a crisis might hit this generation and cause its “familiar millennial sunniness” to “turn sour,” they predicted that as they reached midlife, millennials would be more traditional — reversing “the trend towards later marriage and childbirth.” They also predicted that millennials would be more socially and politically cohesive, rejecting the “cultural wedge issues of the late 20th century,” unlike their Gen X and boomer predecessors. They said that income and class disparities would narrow.

What the authors could not foresee was that there wouldn’t be just one crisis. There would be a series of cascading crises, starting the year after their book was published. There was the fallout from the dot-com bubble burst; then there was Sept. 11, followed by the Great Recession in 2008; then came the political chaos of increasing polarization, the specter of climate change and finally, the Covid pandemic.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Willa Rogers posted:

A few years ago I temped at a job with an open-office plan & if the assignment hadn't ended in a month my sanity certainly would have.

I don't understand how employers can think that it's productive to listen to officemates nattering on all day.

I was fortunate that the only open office I sat in resulted in everyone 100% ignoring each other with headphones on. My only manager was too close to retirement to give a poo poo.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is omnipresent. if there are known metric somebody (or everybody!) is going to optimize for the metrics to get an advantage / promotion, thereby distorting what the metrics were trying to on measure.

so I dunno I just go look. I also do this professionally a lot, watch, photograph, and extensively note. serious old school business does this a lot, new “disruptors” not so much.

it’s almost like no one wants to acknowledge that observation both qualitative and quantitative is the first thing to do. instead everybody wants data first and then to back fit a hypothesis to data.

there is also generally a focus educationally on form over substance. it doesn’t matter what the thesis is, grading is determined by its support structurally.

and there is economics it’s all wonderfully structured. built on its clear assumptions with its straight forward correlative relationships expressed in simple lines intersecting. no causative or complex systems thinking. just two lines intersecting.

I mean that’s not useless. but it’s certainly not everything. The complexity and sophistication of a model increases our tendency to accept the model’s conclusions as truth.

I think particularly with Krugman that’s what’s going on. a lot of folks are quick to go to “massaging numbers” as an accusation. that’s unnecessary. somebody like Krugman is doing what they were trained to do and honestly.

economics is a beautiful collection of theorems about the empty set

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

A few years ago I temped at a job with an open-office plan & if the assignment hadn't ended in a month my sanity certainly would have.

I don't understand how employers can think that it's productive to listen to officemates nattering on all day.

It's like in Snow Crash, the insanity is the point, to keep workers from being able to function outside the office.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

you use headphones OP

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Since Leon's no longer posting itt, here are some timely stenographer's notes about the WH:

quote:

White House announces steps to lower everyday costs alongside new inflation report

By Maegan Vazquez, CNN

The White House on Tuesday is highlighting new efforts to lower Americans’ everyday costs, just as the latest Consumer Price Index – a key marker for inflation – showed signs that the temperature is dropping.

The new steps, the result of funding through legislative efforts signed into law by President Joe Biden since taking office, are aimed at lowering out-of-pocket costs come as broad concerns about the economy and the possibility of a recession loom. A White House official detailing the new measures to CNN said they are aimed at lowering the price of health care, home heating, and broadband access, adding that they will impact “tens of millions of seniors, students, and families month-over-month.”

The latest CPI data released Tuesday morning shows that inflation remains elevated but the temperature is coming down, showing that annual price increases continued to slow in February. CPI measured 6% for the year ended in February, down from January’s 6.4% and in line with economists’ expectations.

The Federal Communications Commission will release additional funds this week to support the Affordable Connectivity Program, according to the official. The program, a provision of the bipartisan infrastructure law, provides eligible households a $30 monthly credit toward the cost of their internet service plan, or a $75 monthly credit for households living on Tribal land. The program helps deliver affordable broadband to over 16 million households.

The Department of Health and Human Services is also releasing over half a billion dollars in Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program funds to states to cover American families’ home heating costs. The Biden administration last November announced the distribution of $4.5 billion in federal assistance to help lower many Americans’ heating bills through the program, which received an additional half a billion in funding through the infrastructure law. According to the official, the program “has helped over 5.3 million households on heating and cooling bills, and on weatherization services” over the past year.

The department is also announcing new details on which Medicare Part B drugs – expensive medications administered by doctors – hiked their prices faster than inflation since the Inflation Reduction Act went into effect. They will be subject to inflation rebates for excessive price increases, and some beneficiaries will start seeing lower copays next month, the official said.

HHS will also release new data showing how many seniors and people with disabilities are likely to have started seeing cost-savings on free recommended vaccines because of a provision of the Inflation Reduction Act that went into effect in January.

While the latest CPI data showed inflation is slowing, recession concerns still continue to hover over the US economy, heightened recently by a hotter-than-anticipated jobs report and the second-largest failure of a financial institution in US history.

For the past year, the Fed has enacted a series of interest rate hikes aimed at chilling demand and cooling historically high inflation.

But February’s net job gains surpassed economists’ estimates for a more modest month and showed resistance to the Fed’s interest rate hikes.

The Fed’s campaign has also come under scrutiny in the wake of the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank, which provided financing for almost half of US venture-backed technology and health care companies.

Those rate hikes contributed to the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank late last week in at least two key ways. First, higher borrowing costs rocked the frothy parts of the US economy, especially the tech industry that SVB catered to. Secondly, the hikes undermined the value of the Treasury bonds that banks rely on as a central source of capital.

Before SVB’s collapse, investors were anticipating a major interest rate hike of a half percentage point at Fed meeting next week. But Sheila Bair, the former chair of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, told CNN on Sunday that a hike of that size would not be “well advised” given the bank’s collapse. Similarly, Goldman Sachs told clients late Sunday that “in light of the stress in the banking system,” the bank no longer expects the Federal Reserve to deliver a rate hike next week.

Biden on Monday sought to assuage Americans’ concerns and laid out his administration’s sweeping efforts to protect small businesses and workers in the wake of the recent bank shutdowns. Specifically, these actions include backstopping depositors’ funds at SVB and Signature Bank – while stressing that taxpayers are not on the hook for those moves – declining to extend relief to investors of SVB and holding those responsible accountable.

“Americans can rest assured that our banking system is safe. Your deposits are safe,” Biden said on Monday. “Let me also assure you we will not stop at this. We will do whatever is needed on top of all this.”

And it took three additional stenographers to complete this reporting feat.

quote:

CNN’s Alicia Wallace, Matt Egan, Phil Mattingly and Betsy Klein contributed to this report.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Vox Nihili posted:

The myth of the meritocracy must surely be dead by now.
No. Our betters command our economy and earned their riches, as the Lord looks upon them with his favor. God is in heaven, all is right on Earth.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Sanlav posted:

Mind you my Uncle went to school for cinematography at UCLA and got a job on wall street np after being unemployed for 6 years. He retired from Bear Stearns in 2007.

sounds like epstein's early career :ssh:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

As a woman I love work from home because I dont have to worry about engineers awkwardly hitting on me or trying to reach under the table to touch my leg or shooting rubber bands at me every time i walk onto their floor or near their cube. All these things are real things that have happened to me. I trust the folks i work with more because I don't have to worry about this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mila kunis posted:

you use headphones OP

:ssh: not when you're a temp & no one else is using headphones.