Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Right, which is fine and cool, because it leave the mystery of where it came from in the first place intact.

The unknowable is still out there.

The engineers totally made the black goo, but before that who knows why the eggs were there?

We know what they use the goo for.

We actually don't know that they created the goo or what they use it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Alien Megathread: Gonna call bullshit on the spooky space ants being more mysterious than the "GodCum."

I like it :hmmyes:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Beachcomber posted:

Right, which is fine and cool, because it leave the mystery of where it came from in the first place intact.

The unknowable is still out there.

The engineers totally made the black goo, but before that who knows why the eggs were there?

We know what they use the goo for.

This is inconsistent with itself on its face. Everything you say here about the eggs can be transposed onto the mutagen, or vice versa.

That is to say, this could go in two directions:

1) The engineers obviously made the eggs, so there's no mystery about them.

2) Who knows where the engineers got the oil?

Either way, "mystery" is a fake idea, particularly with regards to the Alien series. We know where the eggs came from: an alien spaceship. We know where the spaceship came from: space. Do you think there's a big cosmic mystery in Independence Day because no one actually gives us the details on the invaders' homeworld and religious traditions?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

1) The engineers obviously made the eggs, so there's no mystery about them.
Did they?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Did they?

Ferrinus isn't claiming they did, just pointing out that if you're going to make that assumption about the black goo you could do it about the eggs as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Ferrinus isn't claiming they did, just pointing out that if you're going to make that assumption about the black goo you could do it about the eggs as well.

That’s fair. :hfive:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
But there's apparently comics that say they make the goo.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I assumed they did make the goo, but it'd be way more interesting if they didn't. The intro to Prometheus presents it like some sacrificial sacrament; if the black god cum isn't even their invention, the religious aspect to it gets way more esoteric. I like it.

...goddamn, do I miss Raised by Wolves.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Beachcomber posted:

But there's apparently comics that say they make the goo.

Not to my knowledge, unless it’s the more modern Marvel stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xealot posted:

I assumed they did make the goo, but it'd be way more interesting if they didn't. The intro to Prometheus presents it like some sacrificial sacrament; if the black god cum isn't even their invention, the religious aspect to it gets way more esoteric. I like it.

...goddamn, do I miss Raised by Wolves.

there's not much to base this on but given how the other Engineers react to learning humanity exists, i tend to read the Engineer at the beginning of Prometheus as some kind of rebel or heretic; what he's doing is presumably taboo or perverse in some way; a god voluntarily dying for the sake of beings who are somewhere on a scale of "slaves" to "microorganisms" compared to themselves

and yeah I miss Raised by Wolves too, if the above didn't already make it obvious :v:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Xenomrph posted:

Not to my knowledge, unless it’s the more modern Marvel stuff.

Yeah, while I don't base my views on the comics in any event I'd be shocked if the writers of EU content were allowed to so much as hint at stuff like that.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there's not much to base this on but given how the other Engineers react to learning humanity exists, i tend to read the Engineer at the beginning of Prometheus as some kind of rebel or heretic; what he's doing is presumably taboo or perverse in some way; a god voluntarily dying for the sake of beings who are somewhere on a scale of "slaves" to "microorganisms" compared to themselves

and yeah I miss Raised by Wolves too, if the above didn't already make it obvious :v:

I always found the contrast between the engineers in the opening scene and at the end of the movie really interesting. The big, disc-shaped spaceship leaving the dude behind looks very little like the biomechanoid craft we see later in the movie and the sacrifice himself is just in a robe. My takeaway was that the ancient engineers were serving their own higher power.

Then in Prometheus we actually meet contemporary engineers and they're all wearing hosed up carapace armor and living in skull facilities, so one possible read is that this is just how their society changed over the last billion years; they've started experimenting on and optimizing what used to be a holy sacrament. But then in Covenant we see that there are actually still un-augmented, robe-wearing engineers who just farm wheat all day and react with religious awe when one of their own spaceships shows up--until that ship starts bombing them. So there's actually an extreme, cultic class division within the engineers themselves, an inner church of diabolical experimenters who hide (well, "hide" is debatable) bioweapons facilities on far-off moons and an outer church of peasants who don't realize that the gods they worship are just men wearing masks.

But was it like that all along, or was there some even more bizarre and ancient species that once bestowed the oil (which they... made? found? summoned?) on the engineers and who some clever engineers sneakily replaced? To what extent is either species, or either subdivision within that species, still active, and what do they even think they're doing? I'm not sure if it'd be fun to learn the answer but it's certainly fun to outline the question.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, while I don't base my views on the comics in any event I'd be shocked if the writers of EU content were allowed to so much as hint at stuff like that.

Based on my conversations with the RPG author he’s allowed to hint at stuff, but there are limits and he knows them well. I’ll have to check the RPG and see if it talks about the goo’s origin.

I just know the old Dark Horse stuff prior to the Disney buyout didn’t cover it, in fact Engineers and associated stuff only show up in 2 series, and those comics came out before Covenant did.

Those comics also did more interesting things with the Goo in my opinion - Covenant (and subsequently expanded universe stuff like Aliens Fireteam and the RPG) largely “codified” what the goo does into hard and fast predictable rules for gameplay purposes (but the RPG was open-ended enough to let DMs make up their crazy poo poo too). The Prometheus comics show the aftermath of the goo getting unleashed on LV-223, and it radically warps the environment in wild and unpredictable ways, it’s rad. The comic refers to the goo as “the Accelerant”, which I thought was a pretty neat name.

If the more recent Marvel comics touch on the goo, I’m not familiar with it since I haven’t read them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It's the azoth! For more information, study Ripley's twelve gates and your preferred edition of Promethean: the Created.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

The mystery of the black goo isn't so much about what it will do, the mystery is where it came from, how was it created, and for what purpose? Prometheus and Covenant throw some really tantalizing ideas at you about what the black goo's deal might be, but never enough to prove any one particular theory. The xeno in Alien is similar. We know what it does, it kills. It's the other questions that are interesting.

For example, did the Engineers create the goo? They seem to worship it, or at least have an almost religious reverence for it.

I think the more you try to explain the xenos, the less scary and compelling they become. The whole "what the gently caress IS THIS poo poo??" element of the first film is what made it so scary and the swarming, bug like, hive minded approach in Aliens where they're just space bugs and holy poo poo jesus christ game over, man, made that film work too.

I don't need to know their origins and have them bred in a lab or whatever so much as an acid blood cockroach invasion from outer space with two sets of jaws that's utterly horrific and no one understands. But that's just me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have a hot take.

I don’t find the unknown that interesting. I don’t need to know but it’s not a huge deal if someone “explains it”.
This definitely is probably a me thing but I see it when people say “ah it’s scarier not to see something”

I wanna see it though! Don’t need it in broad daylight but gimme something! This opinion comes from watching both Skinamarink and The Outwaters, two movies that don’t explain the threat and keeps the unknown as it’s crutch. I don’t like it!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the more you try to explain the xenos, the less scary and compelling they become.

That’s why I like the comic series Aliens Labyrinth so much - it starts with the premise of a scientist studying Aliens in a controlled environment in order to explain them, and then it turns it on its head and goes “yeah no we know nothing” and has them doing decidedly unsettling and inexplicable stuff, reminiscent of Lambert’s horrific fate in ‘Alien’.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Iirc, that's the one with the guy who ate the stuff and things became more hosed up from there. But the hive died and he got away.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I guess my problem with the Engineers is that they're basically just dudes with weird gear.

They look pretty much human with some small differences.

When I saw the alien vessel in the first Alien film that corpse in the pilot seat looks hosed up! I guess I like the mystery of it, in that it made space seem more weird and hostile in that there are some crazy looking aliens out there who build horrific looking ships and are presumably transporting these awful loving eggs for some inscrutable reason and they got wiped out.

But no, they're just buff dudes who would not look out of place in Star Trek or Star Wars.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I guess my problem with the Engineers is that they're basically just dudes with weird gear.

When I saw the alien vessel in the first Alien film that corpse in the pilot seat looks hosed up! I guess I like the mystery of it, in that it made space seem more weird and hostile in that there are some crazy looking aliens out there who build horrific looking ships and are presumably transporting these awful loving eggs for some inscrutable reason and they got wiped out.

But no, they're just buff dudes who would not look out of place in Star Trek or Star Wars.

:yeah:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mr. Grapes! posted:

The Space Jockey in Alien: weird as gently caress mummified elephant-looking thing with a head the size of a Spacehopper and an arm longer than a person is tall.

The Engineers in Prometheus: tall guys in hose 'n' bone-themed spacesuits.

Sometimes it's better to leave the answers to your imagination.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don’t know if I said it before, but if any of you are a fan of H R Giger’s artwork in any capacity, do yourselves a favor and play the videogame Scorn, it’s one big love letter to his art style and it rules.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't it not very fun to play?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Azubah posted:

Isn't it not very fun to play?
Yeah it's not a very good game. It's a kinda cool walking simulator, some puzzles are sorta interesting, then halfway through it starts emphasizing some really bad combat way more than it should.

If you have Gamepass it's worth putting a few hours into just for the art and weirdness though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Scorn plays fine, but if you don't like or are at least okay with puzzles getting Object A from Point C to Z, you will not enjoy it despite its magnificent art direction and messed up story. It's a survival horror game.

It's on Game Pass.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the more you try to explain the xenos, the less scary and compelling they become. The whole "what the gently caress IS THIS poo poo??" element of the first film is what made it so scary and the swarming, bug like, hive minded approach in Aliens where they're just space bugs and holy poo poo jesus christ game over, man, made that film work too.

This is just pursuing novelty. I guess that's fine enough, but it means the movies will only work for you once and then it's just wistful nostalgia / online bitching about difference forever. So you spend time in the Alien Megathread reading & writing posts about how you don't want to think about two movies.

Chasing the high results in the paradoxical demand for more canonical XenomorphTM content - but also that the familar bugs do things that are entirely shocking and different each time. That gives us dumb superpowers or colour variations, and that kind of nonsense. Whats the story? I dunno, some garbage comic.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Martman posted:

Yeah it's not a very good game. It's a kinda cool walking simulator, some puzzles are sorta interesting, then halfway through it starts emphasizing some really bad combat way more than it should.

If you have Gamepass it's worth putting a few hours into just for the art and weirdness though.

The combat is bad but you’re also meant to actively avoid combat, the game just does a bad job of communicating that.

It’s a pretty short game overall, I still definitely recommend checking it out for the art style because it “gets” Giger’s art better than anything I’ve ever seen, it’s amazing. Even Prometheus and Covenant miss the mark compared to Scorn. It’s like an interactive art exhibit and I loved it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is just pursuing novelty. I guess that's fine enough, but it means the movies will only work for you once and then it's just wistful nostalgia / online bitching about difference forever. So you spend time in the Alien Megathread reading & writing posts about how you don't want to think about two movies.

Chasing the high results in the paradoxical demand for more canonical XenomorphTM content - but also that the familar bugs do things that are entirely shocking and different each time. That gives us dumb superpowers or colour variations, and that kind of nonsense. Whats the story? I dunno, some two garbage comic movies.
I kid. I mean, Prometheus at least looks fantastic.

But it and Covenant are ultimately exactly that kind of nonsense - SHOCKING! and DIFFERENT! variations on the Xenomorph(tm) theme. They would probably have been stronger movies if they had dropped the Alien links entirely and been their own thing, but I doubt Fox would have handed even Scott the money for that. (Cameron, maybe...)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
What if you could have one unproduced Alien project appear, fully finished, as the creator(s) intended?

What do you choose?

(It's the canceled Operation: Aliens cartoon for me. Do it, Fox Kids - put chestbursters in a Saturday Morning cartoon).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Payndz posted:

But it and Covenant are ultimately exactly that kind of nonsense - SHOCKING! and DIFFERENT! variations on the Xenomorph(tm) theme. They would probably have been stronger movies if they had dropped the Alien links entirely and been their own thing, but I doubt Fox would have handed even Scott the money for that. (Cameron, maybe...)

I’ve argued for this for a decade, Prometheus is a cool movie with interesting and thought-provoking ideas saddled with Alien baggage that simultaneously undermines ‘Alien’ while dragging itself down. If they’d totally divorced it from the Alien “franchise” and just let Scott off the chain to do something new, I think we’d have ended up with a much more interesting and unique movie.

Failson posted:

What if you could have one unproduced Alien project appear, fully finished, as the creator(s) intended?

What do you choose?

(It's the canceled Operation: Aliens cartoon for me. Do it, Fox Kids - put chestbursters in a Saturday Morning cartoon).

Operation Aliens is tempting, but I’d have to go with either Obsidian’s “Alien: Crucible” RPG videogame that got canned in favor of Aliens: Colonial Marines, or Neil Blomkamp’s Alien5.

https://youtu.be/ms4_HcYA7VU

Edit— speaking of Operation Aliens, here’s a short documentary about it:

https://youtu.be/C5ZlHHP0BXA

Incidentally I’ve got the board game that was going to tie into it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 15, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Payndz posted:

Not quite. Prometheus and Covenant create a greater context within which the xenomorph(tm) itself is but one variation. It's not just an alien on a space station, an alien in a jungle, an alien in a desert...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Payndz posted:

No - because, instead of just giving them more special abilities, Alien Covenant presents subtle nuances in the aliens' behavior so that they can be understood as individual characters. One of them imprints on David as its parent, the other doesn't, and that fact is extremely important to the narrative. They're additionally contrasted with the prototypical white-skinned versions, which are more animalistic.

This encourages people to go back to Alien 1 and think about why the alien behaves as its does. It encourages close reading and interpretation.

As you and the other guy say, you'd rather that the movie was remade exactly the same but in a different franchise. Why? The only explanation is that, though you acknowledge that the movie is really good, a new franchise would provide that additional quick hit of novelty and prevent you from thinking too hard about Alien.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That’s a pretty gross oversimplification/willful misunderstanding of what I said lol

“The only explanation” lmao

Nobody said “exactly the same”, in fact I advocated it be very different because it wouldn’t be tied to a pre-existing “franchise”. The connections it has don’t add anything to ‘Alien’, and hold the prequels back from fully spreading their wings. The Space Jockey didn’t “need” to be explained, nor did we need the origin of the Xenomorph, and doing so actively undermines ‘Alien’ (again, as I’ve said for a decade). The prequels’ best and most interesting ideas have nothing to do with Alien.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 15, 2023

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
If you aren't interested in playing the game, there is an Art of Scorn book you will probably enjoy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dienes posted:

If you aren't interested in playing the game, there is an Art of Scorn book you will probably enjoy.

I actually just slapped down an order on that today, but it looks like it doesn’t ship until 4/22.

Speaking of art books, these are excellent too:

The Art of Alien: Isolation https://a.co/d/2RsrTiA

HR Giger. 40th Ed. https://a.co/d/4AqLHht

Alien Covenant: David’s Drawings https://a.co/d/91AxCkH

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In the Pre-Prometheus Aliens, the Xenomorphs were just a scary thing that was waiting for us out in space. The Space Jockey was an unknown thing waiting for us out in space. Their relationship was unexplained, maybe the Jockey was just some schmuck who stumbled on the eggs like the humans did and was taking samples home for study. There's no way to know. The galaxy is a big place and you don't know what you will find in it's dark corners.

Post-Prometheus, everything is connected. Not just the Engineers and the Xenomorphs to each other, but also the Engineers and Xenomorphs to humanity. There is some kind of grand narrative playing out and humanity is a part of it.

That is a smaller and less mysterious universe.

Hell, pre-Prometheus there were movies in the Alien universe that didn't have a single Xenomorph in them, united purely by the theme that there are scary aliens out there. At this point I'm expecting some Predator EU story to establish that they were connected to the Engineers too, and through them to humanity, so it's all linked and all one big story.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gripweed posted:

In the Pre-Prometheus Aliens, the Xenomorphs were just a scary thing that was waiting for us out in space. The Space Jockey was an unknown thing waiting for us out in space. Their relationship was unexplained, maybe the Jockey was just some schmuck who stumbled on the eggs like the humans did and was taking samples home for study. There's no way to know. The galaxy is a big place and you don't know what you will find in it's dark corners.

Post-Prometheus, everything is connected. Not just the Engineers and the Xenomorphs to each other, but also the Engineers and Xenomorphs to humanity. There is some kind of grand narrative playing out and humanity is a part of it.

That is a smaller and less mysterious universe.

Hell, pre-Prometheus there were movies in the Alien universe that didn't have a single Xenomorph in them, united purely by the theme that there are scary aliens out there. At this point I'm expecting some Predator EU story to establish that they were connected to the Engineers too, and through them to humanity, so it's all linked and all one big story.

Something I was going to post before reading this, it would have been pretty easy to have the engineers in Prometheus just not have gear/etc. that's related to the Space Jockey at all. Like have the black goo and the engineers just be their own separate other bizarro poo poo out there waiting for us that has an undefined connection to the alien and Space Jockey as you say in Alien instead of a 1:1 this goo is the programming stuff designed to create the alien and the other ways the two flicks connect to the Alien movies.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The space jockey and xenomorph have always been connected to humanity, both implicitly (they find a guy in a space suit who suffers the exact same fate their guy in a space suit did; the alien attack is representative of and comorbid with various political problems already afflicting the crew) and explicitly (the alien incubates in, comes out of, and functionally replaces one of the human characters).

If the crew of the Nostromo were confronted by a glowing polyhedron that caused internal hemorrhages in anyone standing between 3.2 and 4.9 meters of it, that might actually go some way towards depicting a totally foreign and incomprehensible menace from the farthest reaches of space, but also no one would care because it'd be boring. What Prometheus and Covenant pick up on is that, in fact, the xenomorph has always been all too familiar.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No - because, instead of just giving them more special abilities, Alien Covenant presents subtle nuances in the aliens' behavior so that they can be understood as individual characters. One of them imprints on David as its parent, the other doesn't, and that fact is extremely important to the narrative. They're additionally contrasted with the prototypical white-skinned versions, which are more animalistic.

This encourages people to go back to Alien 1 and think about why the alien behaves as its does. It encourages close reading and interpretation.

As you and the other guy say, you'd rather that the movie was remade exactly the same but in a different franchise. Why? The only explanation is that, though you acknowledge that the movie is really good, a new franchise would provide that additional quick hit of novelty and prevent you from thinking too hard about Alien.
Weren't you threadbanned for this kind of passive-aggressive putting words in people's mouths? :haw:

Anyway, nope.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ferrinus posted:

The space jockey and xenomorph have always been connected to humanity, both implicitly (they find a guy in a space suit who suffers the exact same fate their guy in a space suit did; the alien attack is representative of and comorbid with various political problems already afflicting the crew) and explicitly (the alien incubates in, comes out of, and functionally replaces one of the human characters).

Oh poo poo, when you think about it they’re also connected by being in the same movie!

I obviously meant in-universe lore connections, not thematic connections. You knew that, c’mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

What Prometheus and Covenant pick up on is that, in fact, the xenomorph has always been all too familiar.
Yeah but it kind of isn’t, it’s right there in the title of the film - it is an Other, a creature outside the realm of human experience, which operates without conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality. In the first movie it acts unpredictably - is it going to kill you, capture you, or worse? What new form is it going to take?

As mentioned, making the Space Jockey into a literal giant human who also created humans devalues the mystery and isolation of space. It’s not a weird and scary void where who knows what you might find and what bizarre and inscrutable life forms are out there, with humanity being a small and helpless blip in an uncaring and potentially hostile galaxy, now we’re literally made by god in His image, we are special.

The ideas of a hateful god doing weird science on his creations as we try to find our creators (and with the through line of our creations, also in our image, coming to resent us while becoming creators themselves, and create monsters) is a genuinely interesting idea, it just doesn’t need to be in an Alien movie to work (and actively harms ‘Alien’). As mentioned, it makes the setting smaller and less interesting.