Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Murgos posted:

I'm confused. Are there neighborhoods where people don't live?

Well, the fundamental conceit of their argument is that the presence of smaller, more affordable housing devalues their own, despite their own home being presumably much larger and nicer, with a bigger property. It's more than slightly insane if you think about it.

You have to believe that the very presence of A Poor is an imposition on you, at that point, which is clearly sociopathic nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A house is an Investment so it's bad when values go down, because you are devaluing your equity. It is also bad when values go up, because property taxes go up. It's important that nothing ever change.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/matthewkassel/status/1635648581007712256?s=20

:thunk:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

Well, the fundamental conceit of their argument is that the presence of smaller, more affordable housing devalues their own, despite their own home being presumably much larger and nicer, with a bigger property. It's more than slightly insane if you think about it.

You have to believe that the very presence of A Poor is an imposition on you, at that point, which is clearly sociopathic nonsense.

Her argument is that since people live there you can't have people live there because people living there will devalue their property.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I guess, to be devil's advocate, the presence of more affordable housing in a desirable place does reduce the premium people are willing to pay to live in that desirable place, but... who cares? Do you have a place to live which you can afford, and do you like living there? Good. Done; you've won, quit your bitching.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe, just maybe a former governor should understand that international politics isn't a yes/no binary question?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

I guess, to be devil's advocate, the presence of more affordable housing in a desirable place does reduce the premium people are willing to pay to live in that desirable place, but... who cares? Do you have a place to live which you can afford, and do you like living there? Good. Done; you've won, quit your bitching.

The person making the argument did not assert that the community where the people were living or where the new low income housing would be built was 'desirable,' just that it exists and therefore people can't live there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's funny because she was doing the cynical "whatever you're doing isn't enough" twitter thing and then immediately opposed the thing that they were doing that would help.

We got wokisme and wokissimo and now

https://twitter.com/ArmagnacFrancis/status/1635620637191307269

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Murgos posted:

Her argument is that since people live there you can't have people live there because people living there will devalue their property.

For one shining moment, the US put aside it's objectification of the sexy assets of property. Unfortunately that was only in a non-binding letter to our king, after which we upped our obsession by 60%.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Every doctor and nurse ever asks (me) if I smoke and I ask them: "if I smoked do you think I'd be alive?" and they look at me with my orbiting moons and admit: "yeah fair point, congrats on your Oscar".

e: I don't mean it's wrong for a healthcare professional to ask if I smoke or not. I don't know what my point was anyway.

Also, "do you drink alcohol".

Like, yes, I know smoking and drinking alcohol are bad for me but right now I'm mostly concerned about this broken ankle I have.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

This reminds me of the time Kevin Spacey tried to divert attention from all his sexual assaults and harassment by coming out as gay.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

I hadn't seen the longer version of this! Guy went from dooting along with the song to firing 11 rounds through his car windows in under a minute. He didn't even seem angry!

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

They ask if you smoke so that they can raise your healthcare premiums forever hth

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Last page, but is there some link to the actual bills? Illinois surprised me and I can’t find anything on an anti-trans bill in this state. ACLU currently has 0 anti-LGBTQ legislation proposed. If Illinois has a bill proposed, it’s probably one guy and it’s going absolutely nowhere.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

BiggerBoat posted:

Like, yes, I know smoking and drinking alcohol are bad for me but right now I'm mostly concerned about this broken ankle I have.

I always thought this line of questioning had more to do with possible drug interactions than a lifestyle check

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PERMACAV 50 posted:

I always thought this line of questioning had more to do with possible drug interactions than a lifestyle check

There’s a lot of functional alcoholics out there. It may be good to know if your patient is lit when trying to treat them.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Insurance is my guess. Jack up the price if the patient is proven to engage in self-destructive behavior

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Do you drink alcohol at all doesn't really answer either of those questions so possible drug interactions seems way more likely to me

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My friend, you left out the best part!

quote:

Video shows Popper cut off a driver who then started tailgating him on I-95 in North Miami. Popper slammed on his brakes and, seconds later, started shooting.

The shooter initiated the situation by driving like a complete rear end in a top hat, then escalated it intentionally by break-checking the tailgating car. Dude pulled out his gun in anticipation of the other car passing him.

How the gently caress was he not convicted?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
any infringement on the agency of a gun-haver is emasculating and intolerable

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Murgos posted:

There’s a lot of functional alcoholics out there. It may be good to know if your patient is lit when trying to treat them.

Plus if someone is severely alcohol dependant, a couple of days in hospital without booze can be very dangerous for them.

And you can't always tell who goes home and has a case of beer every night just by looking at them.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jaxyon posted:

any infringement on the agency of a gun-haver is emasculating and intolerable

God, I hate it here.

At least I'm very, very far from Florida.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Kith posted:

My friend, you left out the best part!

The shooter initiated the situation by driving like a complete rear end in a top hat, then escalated it intentionally by break-checking the tailgating car. Dude pulled out his gun in anticipation of the other car passing him.

How the gently caress was he not convicted?

Ah because Sam Alito is very concerned about people who take the NYC subway

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I live in Finland so they don't ask that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I live in Finland too and I've had health care workers ask me about drinking and smoking, and so forth. Is this some kind of weird Turku joke?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rappaport posted:

I live in Finland too and I've had health care workers ask me about drinking and smoking, and so forth. Is this some kind of weird Turku joke?

You probably just look like a drunk.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I do, but that doesn't mean people don't ask when it's warranted, which was your original assertion about Finland in general.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/GillianBNews/status/1635397817526267904?t=Gu0rrlP_LitT7EJNip2e9A&s=19

Read my lips: From my DEAD COLD HANDS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What if the shooter uses the doorway?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What if the shooter uses the doorway?

You block it with dead kids so he can't get through

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I live in Finland so they don't ask that.

I'm a nurse in Finland and I definitely ask.
Alchohol is part of standard question pattern for surgery patients. Drug interactions and chance of Alcohol delirium are the biggest reasons.
Tobacco too, but that's more about post-op recovery. Quitting (or pausing) smoking/vaping for a surgery and recovery improves your chances of wounds healing properly. Less wound infections and other problems.
(Also we have nicotine patches for the worst tobacco junkies, that can't/won't stop)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Issaries posted:

I'm a nurse in Finland and I definitely ask.
Alchohol is part of standard question pattern for surgery patients.

About 100% of the time I'm meeting a nurse or a doctor, I'm not having surgery.

e: The one time I had someone else do surgery on me, he asked me gently caress-all, just told me it'd take less than an hour and he'd give me two munts sick leave.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You don't really know a 100% of the time if someone needs to be cut open or not, so one might ask these questions. Which you claimed the Finnish health care system does not do, and which has now been directly contradicted by a worker in the self-same system.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AFLCIO/status/1635757324345257986?s=20

Onto the governor's mansion for either signature or veto.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

My FIL had full on delerium tremens at the hospital because they weren't honest about his fifth of vodka and beer a day habit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/vanguard_pod/status/1635749284355211264

nice job there grandma killer

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1635994387002847233?s=20

gently caress 12

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Jesus I live in Canada and even I knew he was making a joke about Finns’ stereotypical alcohol consumption. And/or lack of interest in other people.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm really intrigued by concept of this show. "Let's take a serious journalist and pair them with the dumbest Tucker Carlsen impersonator we can find."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BGJ is not a serious journalist.