Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

KingKalamari posted:

The only thing I can think of for Dark Sun is that slavery exists as an institution in it and that might not be a look WotC wants from one of their campaign settings? Other than that I'm honestly coming up blank.

There's also a boatload of genocide in the backstory.

I don't have a problem with WOTC saying "we aren't up to this" given how they've botched a lot lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Whirling posted:

I think the last few things I recall about 5e discourse was that people got into the idea of wheelchairs being important to have in these fantasy settings where you can get summoned skeletons to lift you on a palanquin, or magic carpets to zoom around on, or literally anything else that can go down stairs (a common feature of many a dungeon) without much trouble,

Sounds like you may have seen these awful bits of discourse primarily as a story told by one side after it died down. No one was trying to force wheelchairs into 5e's next manual or anything. Someone published a ruleset for a combat wheelchair and then predictable chuds vs. nonchuds arguments started happening. And while yes, there are a variety of ways that magic can move people about, the wheelchair was meant to provide another way for people to do that, one that would let some historically underserved folks see themselves in the game. They weren't trying to replace magical exoskeletons or Tenser's Floating Back Brace or whatever, just provide a new option that a lot of people genuinely want. Ask yourself if you give a poo poo when viewed through that lens, and then spend a second imagining the sort of person that would.

Oh, and unrelated, Dark Sun isn't that far in the past, it got two books during 4e. They kept in the slavery but were pretty straightforward about it, and I do not recall there being a huge fight about it in 2010 when that happened.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 14, 2023

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

theironjef posted:

Sounds like you may have seen these awful bits of discourse primarily as a story told by one side after it died down. No one was trying to force wheelchairs into 5e's next manual or anything. Someone published a ruleset for a combat wheelchair and then predictable chuds vs. nonchuds arguments started happening. And while yes, there are a variety of ways that magic can move people about, the wheelchair was meant to provide another way for people to do that, one that would let some historically underserved folks see themselves in the game. They weren't trying to replace magical exoskeletons or Tenser's Floating Back Brace or whatever, just provide a new option that a lot of people genuinely want. Ask yourself if you give a poo poo when viewed through that lens, and then spend a second imagining the sort of person that would.

Oh, and unrelated, Dark Sun isn't that far in the past, it got two books during 4e. They kept in the slavery but were pretty straightforward about it, and I do not recall there being a huge fight about it in 2010 when that happened.

Oh, I didn't know it was a third party thing. I don't play D&D, just hear about it second-hand.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm trying to think back and I can't even really think of anything about Dark Sun that could be perceived as offensive these days.

Dark Sun does have the race of sterile half-breed laborers called "muls," which is a name that was hopefully meant to evoke "mule" and not "mulatto."

Given that Dark Sun is basically a mash-up of Dune and Tekumel as filtered through the trappings of D&D, it's almost a wonder it didn't inherit more problematic elements from its inspirations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gtrmp posted:

Dark Sun does have the race of sterile half-breed laborers called "muls," which is a name that was hopefully meant to evoke "mule" and not "mulatto."

Given that Dark Sun is basically a mash-up of Dune and Tekumel as filtered through the trappings of D&D, it's almost a wonder it didn't inherit more problematic elements from its inspirations.

Etymologically, Mulatto comes from Mule...

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I got too much of a negative mindset, I guess, so I guess I'll say that I'm happy I get to finally play in a game after a year or so of nothing but GMing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Whirling posted:

I got too much of a negative mindset, I guess, so I guess I'll say that I'm happy I get to finally play in a game after a year or so of nothing but GMing.
It's not the negativity, it's the target.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Whirling posted:

Picking "people who want fantasy wheelchairs" as what's wrong with D&D these days is a real weird take, so maybe ease up a bit before picking chuds' favorite windmills to tilt at.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

dwarf74 posted:

Picking "people who want fantasy wheelchairs" as what's wrong with D&D these days is a real weird take, so maybe ease up a bit before picking chuds' favorite windmills to tilt at.

Ok, but can this be dropped if I say I'm sorry, because I'm sorry. I got mad at the other guy calling me a dude and wanted to pick a fight, it was stupid, shouldn't have said that poo poo, so can I please talk about literally anything else

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah go ahead, just do it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

My books are out in the garage but I'm fairly certain when 4e did Mul they just dropped the whole sterility thing. It didn't accomplish much besides check a box for weird biotruthers anyway. Same sort of folks that need to get real specific about why there's half-orcs for some reason. You know, assholes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just picked up the Al Qadim 5e book (I'm planning on running a campaign based on P. Djeli Clark's Master of Djinn, so I wanted some 5e Djinn stats as a guide) and the reviews on DMG were interesting...

Some Guy on OneBookShelf posted:

Some people appreciate having fantasy that is tailored to their political ideas. As the discussions in this theread show, there are others who appreciate not having their fantasy worlds influenced by daily politics.

Would it be possible to produce also a non-censored version of the book for 5e?

That way both groups could be happy, we could save us the fights in comment sections, and you could sell more books.

and

Some Other Guy on OneBookShelf posted:

I must admit, this book had a lot of work into it. But I feel your attempts to "sanitise" the setting made it feel a lot more bland. Downplaying the "controversial" elements strips the world of a lot, in the opinion of myself and my players.

But credit where it's due, it gives a good simple 5e layout for some mechanics, Kits are great, and it does encourage reading the original material - which I have done, and don't regret. Seriously, the old 2E AL-Qadim book is insanely detailed and treating that as a companion to this book improves the overall experience IMO.

What was removed?

The original setting materials included detailed instructions on how humans could purchase and own other humans. The original setting materials also included stuff like an NPC who was specifically described as being 16 years old when she married a 40-odd-year-old man and began having children with him.

So these got removed and people are bitching. Yeah.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I want to think that some of them are just bitching because anything changed. But I can't bring myself to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Has anybody made an RPG setting based specifically on The Shaver Mysteries? No Cthulhu or Agartha stuff mixed in, just an RPG sourcebook based on one man’s delusions? I could get into that.
It's had an indirect influence on a lot of D&D stuff, but no one's done a straight adaptation. Frankly, I think the only people likely to try would be the gross-style OSR guys. The clear parallels to symptoms of mental illness don't make it an appealing prospect, and when you actually get into the stories there's a lot of very :rolleyes: sadomasochism going on. It's not Gor, but it ain't great.

The most thorough treatment of the Dero I've seen is in Veins of the Earth, where the subtext is the text: they're a sort of memetic virus that causes paranoia, conspiracism, and delusions about mysterious magical machines.

KingKalamari posted:

Mystara is a really interesting setting to look into from a historical perspective because it's both one of the oldest, but it didn't end up having the same impact on D&D's identity that campaign settings like Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms did. It's sort of like the Burgess Shale of campaign settings, in that it contains a lot of worldbuilding elements that feel like evolutionary offshoots of old D&D that went extinct.
Mystara is hit or miss, but I love it. There's just so much crazy stuff in there. If you lean into the stuff that makes Mystara unique, you have something as wild as the wildest Dying Earth gonzo weird psychedelic whatever-you-want-to-call-it indie D&D stuff. (You could drop the Ultraviolet Grasslands or Slumbering Ursine Dunes on the border of the Known World and it would make as much sense as anything else.) It really exemplifies D&D as that mashup of wildly different influences you see in Appendix N, and it never feels like it's trying to do Science Fantasy by getting out gloves and tweezers and adding precisely 50ml of laser guns to D&D. I'm not old enough to have grown up with it, but for me it recalls that feeling of playing the original Final Fantasy and two-thirds of the way through the game you meet a robot.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 15, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Has anybody made an RPG setting based specifically on The Shaver Mysteries? No Cthulhu or Agartha stuff mixed in, just an RPG sourcebook based on one man’s delusions? I could get into that.

Having read I Remember Lemuria, not sure how much I wanna roleplay about how uncontrollably attractive 80-foot-tall Aryan Snake Women are

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

hosed up that its snake women and not lemur women that are coming from Lemuria. I mean, come on, its in the name

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Whirling posted:

hosed up that its snake women and not lemur women that are coming from Lemuria. I mean, come on, its in the name

I'm pretty sure there's some of those in there too, the Hollow Earth is a menagerie of fetishes. The main love interest in the story has lavender skin, goat legs and a "flirtatious" tail, it's deviantArt before deviantArt. Lotta psychic sex in bacta tanks and wars against the degenerate subhumans who kidnap people and bring them to their underground labyrinth to torture for fun like some QAnon Pizzagate poo poo.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

Does 5e even have psionics or what?

Yes - although psionic lovers really don't like that they are mixed up with the Far Realm.

There's a feat for telepaths and one for telekinetics that can come from any class. The Psion class is now the Aberrant Mind subclass of Sorcerer with their metamagic points working as power points and some people hate that at level 14 you get some tentacly transformation (but there's no need for anything else that's not pure "classic" psion). The Soul Knife rogue subclass is basically 90s era Psylocke. The Psi Warrior subclass is a telekinetic fighter who can do things like telekinetic leaps and block attacks. The Astral Self Monk punches people with the power of their mind and is basically an unarmed telekinetic brawler. And the Great Old One Warlock and one or two of the bard subclasses are borderline psychics if you build them that way.

They are there if you want to play them but they aren't a big focus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just picked up the Al Qadim 5e book (I'm planning on running a campaign based on P. Djeli Clark's Master of Djinn, so I wanted some 5e Djinn stats as a guide) and the reviews on DMG were interesting...

and

What was removed?

The original setting materials included detailed instructions on how humans could purchase and own other humans. The original setting materials also included stuff like an NPC who was specifically described as being 16 years old when she married a 40-odd-year-old man and began having children with him.

There's a 5E Al-Qadim book!?

neonchameleon posted:

Yes - although psionic lovers really don't like that they are mixed up with the Far Realm.

There's a feat for telepaths and one for telekinetics that can come from any class. The Psion class is now the Aberrant Mind subclass of Sorcerer with their metamagic points working as power points and some people hate that at level 14 you get some tentacly transformation (but there's no need for anything else that's not pure "classic" psion). The Soul Knife rogue subclass is basically 90s era Psylocke. The Psi Warrior subclass is a telekinetic fighter who can do things like telekinetic leaps and block attacks. The Astral Self Monk punches people with the power of their mind and is basically an unarmed telekinetic brawler. And the Great Old One Warlock and one or two of the bard subclasses are borderline psychics if you build them that way.

They are there if you want to play them but they aren't a big focus.

I just think they're not good enoguh at emulating the 70s psychic powers that inspired the original D&D psionics.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just think they're not good enoguh at emulating the 70s psychic powers that inspired the original D&D psionics.

Yeah, definitely not, though that's probably because they didn't try as hard to integrate them into their base story as a lot of the other stuff. Monk at least will always have the easy fallback of "Martial Arts/unarmed" class, but stuff like Psionics was always pushed off to followup books, so it never gelled. At this point they have a solid idea of what D&D psionics are (we're on what, the third iteration of the Soul Knife?) but no one gives a poo poo about it because they remember the OP brown splatbook from 2e and so on. I know I do. That said, I don't miss a lot of it from back then. The overcomplicated rock paper scissors grid of attacks and defenses, etc., boo to that stuff.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I miss the Expanded Psionics Handbook. It was one of the good 3.5 splats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Splicer posted:

People really underestimate how "legitimate" psychics were seen as in the 70s. While yes psychic hotlines and such are still a thing it's nowhere near what it used to be. We all owe James Randi an enormous debt. But part of the legacy of that nonsense is speculative fiction of the era treating psychic powers as Hard Future Science and that kind of didn't go away.

I'm reminded of how Randi sued Pokemon, and that Pokemon also has humans with psychic powers in addition to Pokemon- in fact, nearly all iconic Psychic trainers are shown or implied to be psychic themselves, at least to a degree. That said, Pokemon is at least mildly a sci-fi setting with poo poo like teleporters and extradimensional storage being commonplace. I also love that bit about the setting, and how Psychic types and trainers are often compared with Fighting- both are practices that humans and Pokemon both do, and their Pokemon are their training partners.

Plutonis posted:

RE: Slavery on tabletop, is there any fantasy society that operated like the Mamluk Sultanate in real life? They operated on such a way that it is honestly stranger than fiction, with slaves being bought from far off lands like the Caucasus to Egypt and trained to become soldiers... But also they were the military elite of the country and even the Abbasid Caliphs were but puppets to the Mamluks.

Funnily enough the closest equivalent I'm thinking of is Adeptus Astartes. They often literally recruit by rounding up the toughest and meanest pre-adolescents they can find in underhives and feudal worlds and then subjecting them to brainwashing, indoctrination and body modification, where the survivors become the warrior elite of the Imperium.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's a 5E Al-Qadim book!?

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/341520/Campaign-Guide-Zakhara--Adventures-in-the-Land-of-Fate-AlQadim-and-Forgotten-Realms-Sourcebook

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of how Randi sued Pokemon, and that Pokemon also has humans with psychic powers in addition to Pokemon- in fact, nearly all iconic Psychic trainers are shown or implied to be psychic themselves, at least to a degree. That said, Pokemon is at least mildly a sci-fi setting with poo poo like teleporters and extradimensional storage being commonplace. I also love that bit about the setting, and how Psychic types and trainers are often compared with Fighting- both are practices that humans and Pokemon both do, and their Pokemon are their training partners.

Pretty certain it was Uri Geller who sued pokemon, because Kadabra's name in Japanese is Yungeraa and it has a spoon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Theron posted:

Pretty certain it was Uri Geller who sued pokemon, because Kadabra's name in Japanese is Yungeraa and it has a spoon.

Oh right, that's the one.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PurpleXVI posted:

As someone who hasn't read that subsetting, mind sharing the core details of it?

I ripped the lore chapter out ages ago, let me go dig it up

EDIT: here it is; https://files.catbox.moe/uja1ak.pdf

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 15, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

theironjef posted:

no one gives a poo poo about it because they remember the OP brown splatbook from 2e and so on.

No, I care because I remember that splatbook, which is why I always tell people to avoid D&D psionics because there's always some leftover of that curse in them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

No, I care because I remember that splatbook, which is why I always tell people to avoid D&D psionics because there's always some leftover of that curse in them.

but about psionics

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

KingKalamari posted:

Oddly enough, I've actually been thinking about this topic a fair bit lately, what with my revisiting of old Wilderlands material which is a setting that included slavery as an institution and, at least in the 3.5 adaptation of the setting, included some eyebrow raising apologia for it.

apropos of nothing, but i liked hearing about the prior art for the guilds in the discworld. it's neat how leiber wrote them as parody, they got taken seriously by other authors, then parodied again by pratchett

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Siivola posted:

I miss the Expanded Psionics Handbook. It was one of the good 3.5 splats.

Yeah I felt like that book was the designers going "If we weren't beholden to Vancian Magic, this is how we would do it." I really wanted to run a campaign with no magic and just Psionics using this system.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

theironjef posted:

Yeah, definitely not, though that's probably because they didn't try as hard to integrate them into their base story as a lot of the other stuff. Monk at least will always have the easy fallback of "Martial Arts/unarmed" class, but stuff like Psionics was always pushed off to followup books, so it never gelled. At this point they have a solid idea of what D&D psionics are (we're on what, the third iteration of the Soul Knife?) but no one gives a poo poo about it because they remember the OP brown splatbook from 2e and so on. I know I do. That said, I don't miss a lot of it from back then. The overcomplicated rock paper scissors grid of attacks and defenses, etc., boo to that stuff.

Not to be a jerk but I've been playing DnD in some form for almost 20 years at this point and I have no clue what the "OP brown splatbook from 2e" refers to, I highly doubt it's what the majority of players consider when deciding how they'll feel about Psionics in 5e

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Countblanc posted:

Not to be a jerk but I've been playing DnD in some form for almost 20 years at this point and I have no clue what the "OP brown splatbook from 2e" refers to, I highly doubt it's what the majority of players consider when deciding how they'll feel about Psionics in 5e

poo poo, my brother is in his 30s, went to college, got a PhD, bought a house, got engaged, is going grey.

The 2e splatboook came out before he was born.

If you think that's what the majority, or even a statistically significant portion of D&D players remember, much less fixate on, then you should literally be crumbling to dust while you read this book, Methuselah.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Countblanc posted:

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/purplexvi/ad-and-d-2nd-edition/#14

I looked through it some for my 2e AD&D writeup.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dms guild has some really cool stuff. I'm not a 5e fan, but I love the fan works haha.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Toshimo posted:

poo poo, my brother is in his 30s, went to college, got a PhD, bought a house, got engaged, is going grey.

The 2e splatboook came out before he was born.

If you think that's what the majority, or even a statistically significant portion of D&D players remember, much less fixate on, then you should literally be crumbling to dust while you read this book, Methuselah.

Used to be if you were an old whitebeard this hobby was where you could get some drat respect. And I was just responding to someone else that sounded even older, saying that people hate modern D&D psionics because it's not 70s enough and poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

theironjef posted:

Used to be if you were an old whitebeard this hobby was where you could get some drat respect. And I was just responding to someone else that sounded even older, saying that people hate modern D&D psionics because it's not 70s enough and poo poo.

I'm 35, I started with 3.0. I just grew up reading weird sci-fi/fantasy.

Actually I started with the old black and red boxed set with a solo adventure with a huge map and tokens where elves and dwarves were a class. My stepbrother had it lying around.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm 35, I started with 3.0. I just grew up reading weird sci-fi/fantasy.

Actually I started with the old black and red boxed set with a solo adventure with a huge map and tokens where elves and dwarves were a class. My stepbrother had it lying around.

I'm 42, which I assume is basically dead. I started in 2e but quickly went to AD&D because it was the only game I could find at the time. The old Complete splats were almost but not quite universally terrible, but the weirder ones like Psionics and Humanoids were at least really good lunch break reading.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I actually really like 4e Psionics. Had a blast running a couple Dark Sun adventures, using Heavy Metal and Blue Oyster Cult and poo poo as the soundtrack.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KingKalamari posted:

Oddly enough, I've actually been thinking about this topic a fair bit lately, what with my revisiting of old Wilderlands material which is a setting that included slavery as an institution and, at least in the 3.5 adaptation of the setting, included some eyebrow raising apologia for it.
Besides what you linked, the Wilderlands have this specific pulp-era bigotry where the "swarthy" peoples are cruel and devious and love slavery, and the history features empires rising and falling because of "diluted bloodlines."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

I'm 42, which I assume is basically dead. I started in 2e but quickly went to AD&D because it was the only game I could find at the time. The old Complete splats were almost but not quite universally terrible, but the weirder ones like Psionics and Humanoids were at least really good lunch break reading.
I'm even older. And gently caress yeah, I remember this.

It was that perfectly 2e combination of absolutely useless and absolutely busted.

And you needed it for dark sun, so...