Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

weekly font posted:

I cant believe the man did Ready Player One. He made it better than the book but that’s a bar melting in the earth’s core

But he still managed to make some stuff worse than the book! Playing movies like Wargames and, *shudder*, Monty Python and the Holy Grail as video games is really stupid and reinforces Ernest Cline’s central thesis that the pop culture he likes deserves to be worshipped, but it’s better than how Spielberg turned The Shining into a theme park ride. Kubrick hand-picked you to take on A.I. after he died, and this is how you repay him, Steve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

But he still managed to make some stuff worse than the book! Playing movies like Wargames and, *shudder*, Monty Python and the Holy Grail as video games is really stupid and reinforces Ernest Cline’s central thesis that the pop culture he likes deserves to be worshipped, but it’s better than how Spielberg turned The Shining into a theme park ride. Kubrick hand-picked you to take on A.I. after he died, and this is how you repay him, Steve?

Wargames and Monty Python and the Holy Grail aren't owned by WBD.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Recently, I've been trying to fill in personal gaps in the Spielberg oeuvre.

Found Bridge of Spies extremely solid. Rylance rules and the movie is fairly compelling if you are interested in early Cold War-era history. The Post is just kind of pointless: The Times broke the Pentagon Papers first so why not make a movie about that? War Horse I had to turn off after 20 minutes. Schindler's List is great and Ralph Fiennes' character is one of the most frightening and compelling villains ever. Still need to check out The Sugarland Express, 1941, Amistad, and Tintin. Figure I can skip Always and BFG.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Would warhorse be better if it was about a war donkey? Movies this year say yes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wargames and Monty Python and the Holy Grail aren't owned by WBD.

My main issue is how they play out. In the book, the main guy has to act like he’s Matthew Broderick in Wargames, moving like he does and saying his lines. Again, it’s dumb and irritating, and it really gives the book an incredibly weird sense of the stakes when, two chapters after he successfully acts out Wargames, his aunt is murdered by the evil corporation blowing up his apartment block.

In the movie, though, The Shining becomes a theme park ride. A character gets carried down a hall by the elevator river of blood, and another gets chased into the hedge maze by the naked woman holding an axe, which is followed by a pan-out showing a giant naked woman with an axe standing over the maze. It’s not just dumbly referential, it’s downright stupid.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/quentin-tarantino-sets-the-movie-critic-final-movie-1235351260/

quote:

The Movie Critic is the name of the script that Tarantino wrote and is prepping to direct this fall, according to sources.

Logline details are being kept in a suitcase but sources describe the story as being set in late 1970s Los Angeles with a female lead at its center.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Pauline Kael biopic, maybe? gently caress yeah.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Black Lighter posted:

Pauline Kael biopic, maybe? gently caress yeah.

Well, now I’m gonna be disappointed if it isn’t this

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

checkplease posted:

Would warhorse be better if it was about a war donkey? Movies this year say yes.

I want a naval war movie from the perspective of a ship's cat

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gonna chuckle if Tarantino has to make a biopic to get best picture

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Time will see if he holds to it, but I think his idea of giving up directing before he's "out of touch" is nonsense.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Rental Sting posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/quentin-tarantino-sets-the-movie-critic-final-movie-1235351260/

quote:

The Movie Critic is the name of the script that Tarantino wrote and is prepping to direct this fall, according to sources.

Logline details are being kept in a suitcase but sources describe the story as being set in late 1970s Los Angeles with a female lead at its center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFj2ROOsio

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Escobarbarian posted:

Well, now I’m gonna be disappointed if it isn’t this

I mean, IIRC she moved out to LA in the late seventies with a development deal at one of the studios and never got anything made, and that feels like the kind of story Tarantino would be interested in so here's hoping

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

checkplease posted:

This made me laugh

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don't know if anyone here has shared this, but Amazon Prime is sponsoring an early screening of the D&D movie if anyone here in interested - https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/155643F0-4489-4EA3-A411-5DC2605FD4DC

I was able to catch an early screening of the film and really enjoyed it. Helluva lot better than the old D&D movie.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That New Zealand stuntwoman Quentin likes so much would make a great Pauline kael

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mordiceius posted:

Helluva lot better than the old D&D movie.

I mean, that's a low bar to clear.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Timby posted:

I mean, that's a low bar to clear.

This film actually seems to enjoy being a D&D movie. It ain't going to win any awards, but it's a fun way to spend two hours. Everyone taking part seems to be having a good time. Hugh Grant is particularly delightful.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

That New Zealand stuntwoman Quentin likes so much would make a great Pauline kael

CAST HER AS JAY SHERMAN YOU COWARDS

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Watching Kung Fu Panda 2 and why the heck does no one other than Shen/the wolves/the soothsayer know about all the pandas being dead? I would think people would notice a dude going around killing off all the pandas and then there not being pandas anymore for a couple decades.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Machai posted:

Watching Kung Fu Panda 2 and why the heck does no one other than Shen/the wolves/the soothsayer know about all the pandas being dead? I would think people would notice a dude going around killing off all the pandas and then there not being pandas anymore for a couple decades.

This says a lot about society.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How the gently caress do you spend 130 million on a romcom? Was it shot on location on the moon?

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1635786902652571649?s=20

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

checkplease posted:

I'd watch a Simpson's Donkey movie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Simpson_Kirkpatrick

WW1 ambulance donkey

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

How the gently caress do you spend 130 million on a romcom? Was it shot on location on the moon?

The funniest part of this:

quote:

Meyers is said to have asked for a budget of at least than $150 million, but the studio did not want to go over $130 million.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gripweed posted:

I think adam sandler’s latter day career has made it clear that, at this point, “rom com” Is largely a genre that exists to allow actors to get paid for taking vacations in scenic locations

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Starring Scarlett Johansson, Owen Wilson, Penelope Cruz and Michael Fassbender probably goes a huge chunk of the way there alone.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Man F for Fake is some picture.

Probably one of the best edited films I've ever seen.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Starring Scarlett Johansson, Owen Wilson, Penelope Cruz and Michael Fassbender probably goes a huge chunk of the way there alone.

Even if they’re getting $10m each and Meyers is too that leaves $80m for production, which is more than generous.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah was apparently 80 million for actors. What is other 70 she wanted for? Oh and yeah Netflix was going to give her 130.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

The Peccadillo posted:

I'd watch a Simpson's Donkey movie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Simpson_Kirkpatrick

WW1 ambulance donkey

This is cool and I did not know existed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

checkplease posted:

What is other 70 she wanted for?

Squibs, fake blood, and pyrotechnics.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Some Meyers budgets:
What Women Want: 70 million
Something’s gotta give: 80 million
The Holiday: 85 mil
It’s Complicated: 85 mil

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

checkplease posted:

What Women Want: 70 million

Am I right, fellas?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Women be high budget

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Yeah was apparently 80 million for actors. What is other 70 she wanted for?

The kitchen.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

checkplease posted:

Yeah was apparently 80 million for actors. What is other 70 she wanted for? Oh and yeah Netflix was going to give her 130.

Michael Fassbender kept eating the money so she had to keep asking Netflix for more. He says biting into a stack of hundred dollar bills between each take like it's a big hamburger fuels his "actor powers."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

graventy posted:

The kitchen.

100% it was this. Have you ever shopped at Williams Sonoma? poo poo's expensive.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Many good answers. Clearly Netflix just can’t see the dreams.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone give me a cool film festival under 20 bucks that could be a decent place to send my short. I got it down to 16 mins and am going to send it to this fest that’s gonna have a PG reunion, which might help it get it in idk.

I have 40 bucks from a fest that cancelled and the one above is 25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://filmfreeway.com/flickerfest is closed but it looks like you can ask politely for a late entry

https://tropfest.org/ is one of the biggest short film festivals in the world but I dunno if they do international submissions

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 15, 2023