Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

silicone thrills posted:

As a woman I love work from home because I dont have to worry about engineers awkwardly hitting on me or trying to reach under the table to touch my leg or shooting rubber bands at me every time i walk onto their floor or near their cube. All these things are real things that have happened to me. I trust the folks i work with more because I don't have to worry about this poo poo.

The trust their talking about is also known as sexual harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

As a woman I love work from home because I dont have to worry about engineers awkwardly hitting on me or trying to reach under the table to touch my leg or shooting rubber bands at me every time i walk onto their floor or near their cube. All these things are real things that have happened to me. I trust the folks i work with more because I don't have to worry about this poo poo.

it's not harassment unless they make the "boing-yoing-yoing" sound at the same time

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
if you say bazinga afterwards its ok

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

tomorrow's the day

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1626232682882699270

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
beware the ides of march

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Willa Rogers posted:

:ssh: not when you're a temp & no one else is using headphones.

Worked in a call center once doing email support, never took a phone call, but we had basically a half-open office (short cubicles) and the noise levels were so fuckin overwhelming; there was about 200 or 300 people in that room and there were only six of us doing email support. I begged my manager to let me wear headphones, or earplugs, or anything and the fred flintstone lookin motherfucker told me he'd have to fire me if he caught me wearing them lmao. It wasn't fair to the phone call people, you see. :)

Temp jobs and contract work are so lovely, you are treated like human garbage and degraded constantly. The flexibility of doing short term jobs seems nice on paper but it's never really worked out for me and I'm so fatigued on it

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

I want this to be correct, not because the AI was actually good at predicting, but because it just spouted some stuff. just wrong nonsense because it’s a dumb program.

and then cults and so on form around the AI, and you have to choose a cult or you become the clothes of a different cult. I hope my cult wears blue, I look good in blue. I want more cults, but the good kind where there’s ritual murder and occult ceremonies, only now instead of ancient black books we use very old laptops running archaic AI guiding us with essays written for eighth grade english classes

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
ai will be banned for spreading economic misinformation about our financial system

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I would love if this happens because everyone keeps reading that chatgp march 15th thing and decides to sell. Self fulfilling prophecy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Neil_Irwin/status/1635787266160226306?s=20

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

Since Leon's no longer posting itt, here are some timely stenographer's notes about the WH:

what the gently caress did you just do!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the ai is useful because people give it confidential information which it might spit back at you

who knows maybe the 15th was mentioned in a secret bank report

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmao the svb collapse was an inside job
https://twitter.com/MichaelGoodwell/status/1635790511389700096?t=N7mA5_KOwtekGEifY6mymw&s=19

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

the FDIC should force goldman to buy the fuckin bank and make people whole

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Coldrice posted:

I would love if this happens because everyone keeps reading that chatgp march 15th thing and decides to sell. Self fulfilling prophecy

Yup

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Mirthless posted:

the FDIC should force goldman to buy the fuckin bank and make people whole

"Lol"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1635769475810095107?t=e0F7_lPD9tkxJceyYXCNpw&s=19

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4KY39jLdu4

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Crazypoops posted:

What's a good doomsday economics podcast

programmed to chill

(unironically)

specifically the first few episodes and the "who financed hitler" series

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Mar 15, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

programmed to chill

(unironically)

specifically the first few episodes and the "who financed hitler" series

yeah that was a real lol, lmao series

geopolitical economy report from ben norton is also good. he publishes a lot but the descriptions are good so you can pick out the econ episodes

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Substandard posted:

I was thinking it might have been the 80s savings and loan scandal, but that was both 40 years ago and I was like 2 when that happened and don't really know what happened to any of those people.

I know the only person who ever got punished for 2008 was Madoff, who was a fairly small fish.

lol one of them was John McCain

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Action stations brace brace brace eh?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ChatGPT and Jim Cramer join forces.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1635810320986910720?s=20

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

BETTER BE AT LEAST ONE BANK FAILURE TOMORROW MR GPT

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Matt Levine's most recent Money Stuff newsletter is frustrating. They essentially blame bank regulators for causing the SVB bankrun through inadequate supervision. They also note that since all US bank deposits are now effectively guaranteed by the Federal govt there is an incentive for bank executives to take even more bad risks. However they again conclude that the govt simply needs to regulate banks more effectively. There's no acknowledgement that govt regulatory oversight was systematically undermined by the industry's own lobbying efforts, or that there's no realistic prospect to effectively regulate the financial industry in the current political system. Presumably a former banker writing for Bloomberg isn't likely to be making those points but they're obvious omissions.

They do have a point that apparently the current US banking system effectively requires all deposits to be insured. Apparently rich people will threaten to knock over the financial system if they risk losing their uninsured deposits and will inevitably be made whole, so might as well treat all deposits as insured going forward. No idea if that's tenable though.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

BETTER BE AT LEAST ONE BANK FAILURE TOMORROW MR GPT

it just likes that number

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

lol i just overheard someone say that chat gpt predicted a stock market collapse on the 15th

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
beware the ides

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I financed Hitler. just getting that out of the way.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Al! posted:

beware the IDEs

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Nocturtle posted:

Matt Levine's most recent Money Stuff newsletter is frustrating.

the guy is a goldman alum writing for bloomberg

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Apparently rich people will threaten to knock over the financial system if they risk losing their uninsured deposits...

Can't recall where I read it but it stuck with me that, paraphrasing, we have arrived at a moment in history in which the rich no longer fear the poor.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Nocturtle posted:

Matt Levine's most recent Money Stuff newsletter is frustrating. They essentially blame bank regulators for causing the SVB bankrun through inadequate supervision. They also note that since all US bank deposits are now effectively guaranteed by the Federal govt there is an incentive for bank executives to take even more bad risks. However they again conclude that the govt simply needs to regulate banks more effectively. There's no acknowledgement that govt regulatory oversight was systematically undermined by the industry's own lobbying efforts, or that there's no realistic prospect to effectively regulate the financial industry in the current political system. Presumably a former banker writing for Bloomberg isn't likely to be making those points but they're obvious omissions.

They do have a point that apparently the current US banking system effectively requires all deposits to be insured. Apparently rich people will threaten to knock over the financial system if they risk losing their uninsured deposits and will inevitably be made whole, so might as well treat all deposits as insured going forward. No idea if that's tenable though.

Didn't Goldman threaten to do exactly that in 2008, and that's why they got in on the bailout that they IIRC didn't even need?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

euphronius posted:

I financed Hitler. just getting that out of the way.

euphronius i have a legal question

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

numerology goes up

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
On the stand at the hague

Beeftweeter posted:

euphronius i have a legal question

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

the mother of all white collar crimes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

the regulators need to Regulate Harder is the business world version of the democrats' solution to all political problems being that voters need to Vote Harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I wonder if you can say that this current situation is a result partially of the inability of those in power to consolidate their strength by shoving opponents.

Makes sense I guess. Don't want to be the loser so you just avoid it, but I can't help but think that at some point that just means things will degrade until someone can take the reigns and actually design a system that works (even if it's just copying China and using the balkanized remnants of the US as your subject states)?

I'm certain this is complete bullshit so fire away.