Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's pretty funny how much the Fireflies suck. They do not have a single scene in the entire season where they don't spectacularly gently caress everything up. Their every appearance featured a massacre of their own people.

Marlene was pretty impressed with Joel's successful road trip. She lost five of her best guys or whatever. Then again, her guys can't take a piss without drowning a squad in sewage. I'm sure basic competence and self preservation must look like a superpower after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Where in the game does it say/show he only has a BS?

There is a degree you can see in the doctor's office that is for a BS in Biology. The date is from ~6 years prior to outbreak and it's from "Northern Utah Medical University." That is the only thing to go on. To me it at least suggests that he was pre-med and probably continued schooling after, but I'm not sure how much you're meant to pick it apart. It's not even like an artifact you pick up to look at, it's a background detail.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hell, that might not even be his office

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maybe he's like the guy in New Vegas who has a theoretical degree in physics! :haw:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know I'll be packing my college degree in my go bag.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

It's pretty funny how much the Fireflies suck. They do not have a single scene in the entire season where they don't spectacularly gently caress everything up. Their every appearance featured a massacre of their own people.

Marlene was pretty impressed with Joel's successful road trip. She lost five of her best guys or whatever. Then again, her guys can't take a piss without drowning a squad in sewage. I'm sure basic competence and self preservation must look like a superpower after a while.

Their two biggest accomplishments that I recall off the top of my head are giving baby Ellie away so that someone more competent can keep her safe, and blowing up a grain silo and destabilizing an entire human community. And that second one is apocryphal.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Ror posted:

There is a degree you can see in the doctor's office that is for a BS in Biology. The date is from ~6 years prior to outbreak and it's from "Northern Utah Medical University." That is the only thing to go on. To me it at least suggests that he was pre-med and probably continued schooling after, but I'm not sure how much you're meant to pick it apart. It's not even like an artifact you pick up to look at, it's a background detail.

If it’s dated 6 years prior to outbreak, then it stands to reason he would’ve also graduated med school and been 1-2 years into his residency before the outbreak started, assuming no breaks between his BS and starting med school. It also means that, after surviving the initial chaos, he could’ve been a practicing physician for the last twenty years. Now does that automatically mean he’s qualified to 1) conduct brain surgery and 2) understand cordyceps well enough to remove parts from Ellie and keep the cells alive and intact long enough to 3) develop a vaccine of sorts out of the material gathered on his first try…really depends on what he’s been focusing his medical practice on. But I think the most likely route to any sort of “realism” would be that he’s focused primarily on research on the cordyceps and since the surgery is going to kill Ellie anyways, he doesn’t need to be that skilled at brain surgery, just skilled enough to successfully remove the needed mass and develop a vaccine from it. Who cares how much you mangle the actual surgery if you planned on the surgery killing her anyways?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Nottherealaborn posted:

If it’s dated 6 years prior to outbreak, then it stands to reason he would’ve also graduated med school and been 1-2 years into his residency before the outbreak started, assuming no breaks between his BS and starting med school. It also means that, after surviving the initial chaos, he could’ve been a practicing physician for the last twenty years. Now does that automatically mean he’s qualified to 1) conduct brain surgery and 2) understand cordyceps well enough to remove parts from Ellie and keep the cells alive and intact long enough to 3) develop a vaccine of sorts out of the material gathered on his first try…really depends on what he’s been focusing his medical practice on. But I think the most likely route to any sort of “realism” would be that he’s focused primarily on research on the cordyceps and since the surgery is going to kill Ellie anyways, he doesn’t need to be that skilled at brain surgery, just skilled enough to successfully remove the needed mass and develop a vaccine from it. Who cares how much you mangle the actual surgery if you planned on the surgery killing her anyways?

I mean, you can survive an entire hemispherectomy, especially as a child. If he was capable and they had decent facilities, theoretically he shoulda been able to take out a pretty sizable chonk while still giving her a chance at some kind of recovery. Ellie's a little old for this, but it's conceivable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Thundercracker posted:

Hell, it's an achievement to have a game script that doesn't suck. Something recent high budget games have been failing utterly. Trying to ask for another LoU is extremely high bar.

Give us a Disco Elysium or a Planescape: Torment, something that does something that you don't see in TV at all
Probably be really expensive to do Torment not as an animation though I guess

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think both of those stories are ones that actually use the structure of the game in a way that doesn't lend itself to being adapted, DE especially. That game is in a part personality-political quiz and CYOA mashed together.

Also just logistically so much of the game is internal dialogue and thoughts, there are ways to film that sort of thing but for an entire series I'm not sure how well it would hold up.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Khanstant posted:

I almost never watch a show while not also doing some other activity. It would feel bananas to me to just sit and watch and do nothing with my hands. That is basically sleeping.

lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Khanstant posted:

I almost never watch a show while not also doing some other activity. It would feel bananas to me to just sit and watch and do nothing with my hands. That is basically sleeping.
Lord have mercy

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Khanstant posted:

Do you learn another language on tape while you're sleeping too?

Khanstant posted:

I think both of those stories are ones that actually use the structure of the game in a way that doesn't lend itself to being adapted, DE especially. That game is in a part personality-political quiz and CYOA mashed together.

Also just logistically so much of the game is internal dialogue and thoughts, there are ways to film that sort of thing but for an entire series I'm not sure how well it would hold up.

I think whatever DE adaptation Amazon may be trying is going to end up looking like the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes fight scenes except we get to see Harry gently caress up everything instead.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 15, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have adhd before someone drops that. It sucks and I hate it and I basically don’t watch much because of it. But idk, I love movies and art so I just think half watching it is a disservice unless you’re just consuming content without discussing it or whatever

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

WoodrowSkillson posted:

an issue i have with nearly all zombie related media is the steadfast refusal to show people adapting to the threat by how they are dressed. humans are not very good at biting through clothing, even relatively light stuff.

Quick silly aside: humans have unusually efficient jaw muscles, we beat out every primate except chimps and gorillas.

The main reason we don't shred stuff is bc our teeth buckle before our jaw muscles give out and that's uh, probably not something zombies worry about.

Don't hang onto those jorts is what I'm saying

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/who-are-you-calling-weak-human-jaws-are-surprisingly-strong-and-efficient

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't see it as a disservice, the best art inspires me and makes me want to make things and making art while consuming art is tops imo. Plus for every art I appreciate there's a billion more I won't get around to, double-fisting means getting hosed up on twice as much art.

Not to mention I gotta be at work for 8-9 hours a day, nice to have something on while working and at the machines that have media on them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerusalem posted:

Marlene had zero reason to expect Joel and Ellie to find them, when they left (the other side of the country, if I have the geography right?) all he was supposed to do was take her to a building in old Boston and hand Ellie over, and when Marlene finally got there herself she found a bombed out ruin filled with corpses. About the only thing she'd have to go on then was that he was looking for Tommy, and that he MIGHT have taken Ellie with him (unlikely, based on her prior interactions with him), and she only had a rough idea of where Tommy last was (and Joel only found him because he got lost!), no idea that Tommy would give them directions to a hospital (already abandoned) or that Joel would continue to try and get Ellie to them.

If she'd shown up and told the Firefly patrol, hey by the way it's possible a middle-aged man might have successfully crossed the entire country with a girl he doesn't like and has no reason to care about in tow to deliver her to us here in a place he doesn't know exists, they'd probably have nodded and saluted and then gone about their business as usual without taking it remotely seriously.

Why does the patrol even take them into custody? Are they in the habit of doing that every time they see a man and a teen girl walking together and cracking puns?

What would they have done after the flashbang and the KO if Joel and Ellie had just been scavenging the SLC ruins and wandered too close to the the hospital?

e: Sorry, just thinking out loud here.

The Firefly M.O. is loving stupid.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 15, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah tagging their mark on stuff in their own base is a little odd. Maybe the reason the dudes in the hospital were such crap shots is they were the PR division? Very gung ho about branding, less so about practicing their tactics and ability to shoot.

Contents: Firefly piss?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I was thinking to myself “what is the most competent action the Fireflies are ever known to have underaken”?

The best I can come up with is that they got a Chrysler product running for a few hundred miles before breaking down, and they did this more than twenty years after it come off the assembly line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Platystemon posted:

Why does the patrol even take them into custody? Are they in the habit of doing that every time they see a man and a teen girl walking together and cracking puns?

I would assume they'd take them into custody to interrogate them to find out if they're alone or an advance party for a larger group that they need to be worried about v:shobon:v

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I guess.

It seems to me that it would be more more effective to either observe Scavenger Joe and Scavenger Ellie from afar, or approach them like adults, ask some questions, and maybe suggest that they scavenge in some other direction.

I mean, if the Fireflies are going to accept their answers and let them go, what’s the point of concussing them?

It’s all very game-y.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 15, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Starting to feel like 95% of the "gamey" comments wouldn't be made if they didn't know it was a game first. People ambush other people it has happened in a million other movies not about videogames.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I may have used different words.

It’s a contrived plot device for the villain to incapacitate the protagonists so that the villain may deliver a monologue in their lair, but it is a plot device that is not unique to video games.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hell, in the game Ellie drowns in an underpass and Joel’s trying to revive her when a couple of patrol dudes show up and smash him in the head while he’s doing CPR. She’s unconscious for the entire thing, she doesn’t even know they found them till she wakes up in the car after.

The whole throwing grenades at a guy and a kid thing they used here is just nuts.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah it was dumb as gently caress

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

The whole throwing grenades at a guy and a kid thing they used here is just nuts.

I just read it as them being ex-cops heyoo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It wasn't a murder grenade, just some knock out gas or something.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
I thought it was a flashbang..

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Yes it was a flashbang, it wasnt an actual frag grenade with shrapnel lol. Was intended to disorientate and it did its job.

They lost 5 people getting there, probably it's incredibly rare they come across anyone friendly and they're being hunted by Fedra, isn't odd they decided to disable and capture two trespassers just to be safe rather than walking up for a chat.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of liked the idea that Ellie's immunity was a question mark -- maybe this is a random mutation, maybe she has some rare underlying condition that cancels out the cordyceps. Not everything in a story needs a pat conclusion.

Ellie being "Blade but for zombies" feels like a bad cliche.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It still is a question mark. Even the viewer can't be sure with what was shown, and I doubt the writers, given their medibabble, actually have an idea of the mechanics of it because it isn't important. What we were shown could also be irrelevant regarding immunity, and Ellie could've been born immune if her mother wasn't attacked, no real way to know.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Martman posted:

From the point of view of the viewer, he's totally Some Guy. We haven't been shown anything to establish any amount of credibility in his scientific guesses.

If the plan requires doing something that is obviously insanely dangerous (killing the only immune person, making future study or attempts impossible if their first plan fails), and the show doesn't establish anything about its chances of success, then yeah there's gonna be a huge problem if they expect us to take it at face value.

The thing is, you're acting like I'm anti mumbo jumbo, but that's exactly how you could lay this groundwork. Show that they were able to take some tiny amount of her brain tissue safely, and it was able to immunize a human for like a day, but it quickly faded or something. That would be a tiny step towards showing they're at least capable of making something resembling a cure.

For now though, all we can assume is that in the last 20 years, the greatest surviving scientific minds on earth haven't been able to do jack poo poo about cordyceps. In other words, they don't seem to understand it. Now a miracle has shown up, someone who could probably be studied for another 20 years by thousands of people, and they say let's kill her I totally got this dudes!! What about the extremely obvious hypothesis that pregnancy is how immunity is conferred? Oops, can't test that, we killed her.

They do lay that exact groundwork, Marlene tells Joel exactly how her immunity works (Ellie has a cordyceps fungus in her and it sends out a chemical signal that stops any outside spores from from taking hold) and how they intend to make it into a vaccine, and there is no reason to really doubt what she says.

The show even specifically has Marlene say "He thinks there could be a cure" like they aren't 100% sure but they believe this is the right path. Also, Joel says "But cordyceps grows in the brain" which is telling us exactly why she has to die and also cementing that Joel knows the only chance for a cure would end with her dying.

Although honestly I would like a flashback episode that showed the perspective of FEDRA/Firefly at their "peak" along with doctors doing research into a potential vaccine while poo poo is going down outside.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 15, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

spacing in vienna posted:

Ellie being "Blade but for zombies" feels like a bad cliche.

Even worse, it's 100% lifted from The Girl With All The Gifts.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tumble posted:

They do lay that exact groundwork, Marlene tells Joel exactly how her immunity works (Ellie has a cordyceps fungus in her and it sends out a chemical signal that stops any outside spores from from taking hold) and how they intend to make it into a vaccine, and there is no reason to really doubt what she says.

The show even specifically has Marlene say "He thinks there could be a cure" like they aren't 100% sure but they believe this is the right path. Also, Joel says "But cordyceps grows in the brain" which is telling us exactly why she has to die and also cementing that Joel knows the only chance for a cure would end with her dying.
The fact that that path could lead to a vaccine is not establishing that it's the only path. There is no good reason to think their scientists have enough info to know that. Any reasonable person would want to study her for as long as they possibly could before jumping to that insane conclusion.

So maybe my suggestion didn't really solve that problem, that's true. If they want us to feel confident that there's absolutely, positively no other way though, it would not be hard to give something concrete even if farfetched to show that. Otherwise you're still resting on "well why would the fireflies do this if it was that dumb" and my answer is "because they're that dumb"

Martman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 15, 2023

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i feel like the speed of the immunity transfer wouldn't have been an issue if they'd show'd the baby and the bite and then cut to marlene walking in with the cord cut

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Martman posted:

The fact that that path could lead to a vaccine is not establishing that it's the only path. There is no good reason to think their scientists have enough info to know that. Any reasonable person would want to study her for as long as they possibly could before jumping to that insane conclusion.

So maybe my suggestion didn't really solve that problem, that's true. If they want us to feel confident that there's absolutely, positively no other way though, it would not be hard to give something concrete even if farfetched to show that. Otherwise you're still resting on "well why would the fireflies do this if it was that dumb" and my answer is "because they're that dumb"
Yep. And in the year of our Lord 2023, you really don't have to suspend belief to accept that a group of fanatics might be really really stupid.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Alhazred posted:

Even worse, it's 100% lifted from The Girl With All The Gifts.

Probably a good movie recommendation for those in this thread who haven't seen it. I'm not making any judgement or comparison, it's just a good movie with some parallel themes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Last of Us came out June 2013, but it was a pretty massive development and took at least a few years

The Girl With All The Gifts (the book) was published in June 2014, but was based on a short story the author had released in 2012. I dunno it seems like just one of those weird coincidences where parallel ideas come out at once, but if anything certain plot beats seem like they could have been inspired the other way around. Also I didn't know that author was the same Mike Carey who wrote Lucifer and other comics

e: https://www.goodreads.com/author/7177350.M_R_Carey/questions

quote:

M.R. Carey Hi Zafir. I hadn't heard of The Last Of Us until after I'd finished writing GIRL (which is probably just as well).
Dunno if Naughty Dog has ever responded about the book but it seems like a genuine coincidence

Martman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 15, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Khanstant posted:

It still is a question mark. Even the viewer can't be sure with what was shown, and I doubt the writers, given their medibabble, actually have an idea of the mechanics of it because it isn't important. What we were shown could also be irrelevant regarding immunity, and Ellie could've been born immune if her mother wasn't attacked, no real way to know.

We definitely know that Ellie's immunity is because her mother was bit in-between Ellie being born and having the umbilical cord cut

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Martman posted:

Yeah at the very least they should've added a ticking clock element. "Her antibody count is waning, she is losing her immunity, we need to cut her open now."

Or "she got mortally wounded when the firefly patrol apprehended her, her survival chance is 10%, we need to cut out her brain now before she dies"

Anything to justify killing the golden goose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You definitely don't, Ellie could've already been immune. If it is from the bite in-between there's still a ton of variables, and it could still end up not being because of just the bite alone. The writers can of course say it's whatever they want, but with what's shown and more importantly, what the characters in-universe have seen, it's not a forgone conclusion. Setting up a mushie in the maternity ward for the optional sacrificial child-immunity package wouldn't work (unless they writers said it would, then okay then gotta get heavy duty shocks for my disbelief)