Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Matt Levine's most recent Money Stuff newsletter is frustrating. They essentially blame bank regulators for causing the SVB bankrun through inadequate supervision. They also note that since all US bank deposits are now effectively guaranteed by the Federal govt there is an incentive for bank executives to take even more bad risks. However they again conclude that the govt simply needs to regulate banks more effectively. There's no acknowledgement that govt regulatory oversight was systematically undermined by the industry's own lobbying efforts, or that there's no realistic prospect to effectively regulate the financial industry in the current political system. Presumably a former banker writing for Bloomberg isn't likely to be making those points but they're obvious omissions.

They do have a point that apparently the current US banking system effectively requires all deposits to be insured. Apparently rich people will threaten to knock over the financial system if they risk losing their uninsured deposits and will inevitably be made whole, so might as well treat all deposits as insured going forward. No idea if that's tenable though.

The house always wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

The house always wins.

Or rules for thee but not for me.

I would be surprised so many people are shocked and bewildered at clear evidence of life not being fair however the goldfish brain meme exists for good reason. We just get to watch it play out.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

the regulators need to Regulate Harder is the business world version of the democrats' solution to all political problems being that voters need to Vote Harder.

Up until they retire from congress, after which they run thru the revolving door & become paid political "influencers" on behalf of the industries they once "regulated."

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/AFLCIO/status/1635757324345257986

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

Same with dailykos, down since last night.

Been seeing a lot of instability on all the big websites lately. Even YouTube's been acting up.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I was floored when it passed and i'm floored they're repealing it. Maybe good things can happen?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mirthless posted:

I was floored when it passed and i'm floored they're repealing it. Maybe good things can happen?

how dare you say this in a thread dedicated to doomers and doomerism

just kidding. so long as you don't credit and praise democrats for this right-to-work repeal, you're probably safe...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

how dare you say this in a thread dedicated to doomers and doomerism

just kidding. so long as you don't credit and praise democrats for this right-to-work repeal, you're probably safe...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Got his rear end

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

thechosenone posted:

I wonder if you can say that this current situation is a result partially of the inability of those in power to consolidate their strength by shoving opponents.

Makes sense I guess. Don't want to be the loser so you just avoid it, but I can't help but think that at some point that just means things will degrade until someone can take the reigns and actually design a system that works (even if it's just copying China and using the balkanized remnants of the US as your subject states)?

I'm certain this is complete bullshit so fire away.

There definitely is absolutely nobody in-charge politically. Everyone in power is basically a decrepit mummy, a failson, and/or a Buttigieg-style ladder climber looking for a cushy, do-nothing job. An entire political class whose response to any crisis is to just shrug and say "buddy what do you want me to do? I wasn't even supposed to be here today!"

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

oh ho you better praise dems for doing one minor good thing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Finally a state did it.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

you can make that AI say anything though

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The latest CPI data released Tuesday morning shows that inflation remains elevated but the temperature is coming down, showing that annual price increases continued to slow in February. CPI measured 6% for the year ended in February, down from January’s 6.4% and in line with economists’ expectations.

:discourse:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

cool av posted:

you can make that AI say anything though

Well... Not anything

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Finally a state did it.

Thank you Biden! :stoked:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

he’ll yeah

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
oh i guess were happy to lose rights here, smdh

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
A sad day for my boss's freedom :(

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
work is a privilege I do not deserve

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Breaking: Abolition of Right to Work in Michigan leads to Millions of Jobs Lost

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Guess who served on their board of directors for a couple of years?

https://investor.signatureny.com/pm...rs/default.aspx

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cool

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So why is it called "Right to Work" when the description is anything but?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

super sweet best pal posted:

Same reason anti-abortion religious nuts are called "pro-life"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

it's right to work without being required to pay union dues, but they leave off the second part

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Because the rights given to someone within a given society are done so through a social contract enforced by violence or deprivation, usually through an entity that directly affects the quality of your livelihood.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

because we live in a nation of lies op

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

it's like when the two parties in Australia are the liberal party and the labour party

or like when public schools in the UK are... the opposite of that

or like when "graft" means both "hard work" and "corruption"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

gradenko_2000 posted:

what is up with this anyway

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

When unions were strong(er), if you wanted to work at a particular place you needed to join the union or else you wouldn't be able to work. So the capitalists passed a law saying that you had the "right to work" without having to go through those goshdarn onerous union memberships and paying dues and going to meetings. Et voila, they have exploitable labor force that didn't have unions backing them.

If it seems like a bizarre way to phrase it that's because unions have largely vanished from the American public consciousness so there's a gaping and conscious void there that everyone steps around without remarking on it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's funny because for the most part Unions are bananas popular and nobody knows why.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Beeftweeter posted:

My understanding is that back in the day "Public schools" were the ones were you could get in if you just had enough money, whereas the really selective ones required the right breeding.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

The public schools in England are that anyone can apply for admittance, regardless of where they live, what sort of trade their parents were in, religion, those sorts of things. So in that sense they were open to the public, as opposed to only some subset of the population. (but it was all rich fucks sending their boys off to rub shoulders with the rest of the rich fucks)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's like when the two parties in Australia are the liberal party and the labour party

or like when "graft" means both "hard work" and "corruption"

"democratic party"

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

It's called the right thing, same as the patriot act and dont you DARE question it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"the name of a piece of legislation is generally the opposite of what it actually does" - george carlin, i think

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Good job Michigan. Now repeal at will employment.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
by making this new thread i have saved the economy. yes, that's right. i am the fed and calling attention to market failure causes number to rise. doomsday economics has been a successful bailout plan.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

There definitely is absolutely nobody in-charge politically. Everyone in power is basically a decrepit mummy, a failson, and/or a Buttigieg-style ladder climber looking for a cushy, do-nothing job. An entire political class whose response to any crisis is to just shrug and say "buddy what do you want me to do? I wasn't even supposed to be here today!"

That's probably the most hosed up. There are of course some truly heinous people in power, but the system is probably mostly autopilot, and we don't train people to buck it because political imagination died sixty years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

anime was right posted:

by making this new thread i have saved the economy. yes, that's right. i am the fed and calling attention to market failure causes number to rise. doomsday economics has been a successful bailout plan.

hedgie scum