Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I think all of the Winix they sell have two years of filters?

oh great!

fischtick posted:

Yeah, my Winix came with 2 HEPA filters (to change annually) and a ton of carbon pre-filters (to change every couple months). I popped a third HEPA into it this week (happy 3 years of COVID lockdown!). Sucks that Costco doesn't sell 'em, but you can get all sorts of suspect deals on them at Amazon and maybe even Ali.

they do sell them on the website! :pray:

https://www.costco.com/winix-replacement-filter-s-for-c545-air-purifier.product.100520768.html

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Protip for the carbon filters - use a vacuum upholstery attachment to get the dirt and hair out instead of washing them. Makes them hold their shape better and you don't have to wait on them to dry

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://twitter.com/snopes/status/1635821475755171841

An exchange between Costco founder Jim Sinegal and Costco CEO Craig Jelinek posted:

“I came to (Jim Sinegal) once and I said, ‘Jim, we can’t sell this hot dog for a buck fifty. We are losing our rear ends.’ And he said, ‘If you raise the effing hot dog, I will kill you. Figure it out.’ That’s all I really needed. By the way, if you raised (the price) to $1.75, it would not be that big of a deal. People would still buy (it). But it’s the mindset that when you think of Costco, you think of the $1.50 hot dog (and soda).

“What we figured out we could do is build our own hot dog-manufacturing plant (in Los Angeles) and make our own Kirkland Signature hot dogs. Now we are doing so much hot dog business that we’ve opened up another plant in Chicago.

“By having the discipline to say, ‘You are not going to be able to raise your price. You have to figure it out,’ we took it over and started manufacturing our hot dogs. We keep it at $1.50 and make enough money to get a fair return.

Maybe not so much of a loss leader as we thought? :thunk:

edit: this exchange was 2018 btw

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Did anyone really think they made a loss selling a freakin’ hot dog?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vegetable posted:

Yeah. It's been brought up here many many times as a loss leader. I don't know how all of that works but I've seen it here a whole lot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well it reads like it was probably breaking even till they built their own plant.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Also selling soda from a fountain is essentially free money as I understand it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

Well it reads like it was probably breaking even till they built their own plant.

Since they had the same price ($1.50) since 1985, I'd imagine the prices of absolutely everything have increased exponentially.

Regardless if they make their own hot dogs, they are decent quality and a huge one costs less than an 8 pack of S-BAR or whatever that extremely questionable poo poo is. Still hard to imagine breaking even on that. They literally created 2 manufacturing plants just for their hot dogs. I wonder what the shareholders thought of that.

MarcusSA posted:

He said they are getting a "fair" return now. After building the plants.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Yeah fair could easily mean we are losing just a little money but it’s worth it to get people in here, as opposed to we are constantly losing our shirts on this deal.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
How much can a tube of cow anuses really cost anyway?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Vintersorg posted:

The one I got is pretty good! Did mapping and the bin was full. That’s with 2 cats! Plus it’s nice it can get under our tv stand and bed where we normally can’t access easily.

The shock I get everytime I empty the bin like where the hell is all this fur and dirt coming from. And it's the cats and us. The rooms we keep the cats out of and basically just keep shut are clean as a whistle.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Vegetable posted:

They sell the bulk packages for something like $16/14 according to the Business Center website and they presumably make some profit on that. The bun, soda and condiments could easily be under $0.50 at scale, so maybe you're talking $1 per dog straight food cost. The labor is where they probably start losing money. If you assume you need ~4 employees to run the food court and they cost you $25/hour (wages + benefits + etc.) your labor is $100/hour. You'd have to sell 200 dogs an hour, every hour, just to break even, which they're not doing.

Obviously there's other food there as well, likely with a a little more room for profit, but I imagine the whole food court is a loss-leader most of the time. I think there's a reason the food's they try out occasionally are typically much more expensive. One of my local stores has started selling a roast beef sandwich that costs $10.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

One of my local stores has started selling a roast beef sandwich that costs $10.

gently caress that I can get 4 hotdog combos for that and have money leftover.

That’s like 2 dogs and two slices.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

its more likely the dog gets hit with shrinkflation than having the price raised

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Nohearum posted:

I don't know your mom never emailed me back

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Soul Dentist, desperately in need of cow anus tubes

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

StormDrain posted:

The shock I get everytime I empty the bin like where the hell is all this fur and dirt coming from. And it's the cats and us. The rooms we keep the cats out of and basically just keep shut are clean as a whistle.

And even myself now too since growing my hair out, lol. I have pretty curly hair so it doesn't drop out as smoothly as someone with straight long hair. So every now and then ill find some clumps that got stuck (we lose around 50-100 strands a day).

Also ditto on our closed room (right now storage until we find a need for it) - it's pretty immaculate. We're gonna send the robot in there maybe once a month to do it's job.

Finished up last night since we ran it right out the box and it had to charge when it needed to do the main bedroom and my computer room in the north there:

Overall loved it - it got hung up on some wires under our bed (have 2 x TwinXL tempurpedic with power base) that we need to get moved off the floor. It's a cat hair haven and we're happy to get it all out now with ease.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Nohearum posted:

A hole lot.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

halokiller posted:

its more likely the dog gets hit with shrinkflation than having the price raised

How does that work when the sign says 1/4 lb All Beef Hot Dog plus 20oz Drink (with refill)? :confused:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

My J7+ does a ton better than my i3 at dealing with the wooden main floor with two hairy dogs, and its obstacle avoiding features are pretty solid. No more pushing dog toys into weird areas.

Do not bother with the mops. There are very few robots that do more than push a lovely swiffer pad around and that doesn’t cut it.

We have a J7 and it does a great job on our hardwood main level which, while we don't have pets, is essentially always covered in a fine dust of crumbs from our two toddlers.

We also have a Bravva Jet m6 robomop for the same area to take care of the accompanying fine sheen of spilled milk/juice/etc that gets everywhere as well. While it's not perfect, it absolutely does the job and leaves the floor nice and shiny. Occasionally we'll have to manually mop the most high-traffic and heavy use areas, but that's like once every other month since we run the mop every other day or so. Totally worth it, in my opinion, but childless or petless people might disagree.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

They probably also had some intern crunch the immense amount of data and only saw that 0.000001% of their customers ever bought a hotdog/drink combo and only a hotdog/combo on that visit or whatever.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I really wish they'd swap back to their OG granola bar manufacturer. The current ones are only okay. Still a really loving good deal and I eat many per week

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I’m now completely convinced that the only reason they haven’t implemented my perfect “Let me order a hot dog at checkout” idea is that they ran the numbers and found that they would lose money.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I’m now completely convinced that the only reason they haven’t implemented my perfect “Let me order a hot dog at checkout” idea is that they ran the numbers and found that they would lose money.

Maybe I'm going crazy, but you used to be able to order food at checkout, then take your receipt over to the food court and they would give you your food. There's no option at self checkout now, and the food court these days is so much busier than before they probably stopped it, but I swear we used to be able to do this.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For some reason they were selling canned tuna at the checkout the other day

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Maybe I'm going crazy, but you used to be able to order food at checkout, then take your receipt over to the food court and they would give you your food. There's no option at self checkout now, and the food court these days is so much busier than before they probably stopped it, but I swear we used to be able to do this.

this was 100% true for pizza and was a pro level move pre-covid when I was stopping at Costco on the drive home

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I only ever ordered my food court items at the register and was appalled when they got rid of the option to do so, after the self-serve kiosks were installed.

I mean if you know what you want (and you should, as the "menu" isn't exactly expansive) it only takes two seconds to place an order but then I have to get out my credit card again when previously I only had to do so once. Efficiency, ya know?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

For some reason they were selling canned tuna at the checkout the other day

Well, that sounds ominous.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I only ever ordered my food court items at the register and was appalled when they got rid of the option to do so, after the self-serve kiosks were installed.

I mean if you know what you want (and you should, as the "menu" isn't exactly expansive) it only takes two seconds to place an order but then I have to get out my credit card again when previously I only had to do so once. Efficiency, ya know?

Eat before you shop, problem solved

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, that sounds ominous.

I was there today and they were still doing it

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

It's :10bux: off and only $35 (shipped) for one filter. That's $25 cheaper than ordering from Winix! Seems reasonable.
I bought a pair of what they claim are "True HEPA" filters off Amazon for $22, shipped.

I can't vouch for their effectiveness at taking pollens out of the air or anything, but the lights change color when we cook and each filter layer -- screen, charcoal, HEPA -- gets plenty dirty over time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I was there today and they were still doing it

WHAT ARE THEY NOT TELLING US? :tinfoil:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They can sell tuna like that but not chopped onions. Seems - fishy.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ShowTime posted:

They can sell tuna like that but not chopped onions. Seems - fishy.

And they give you a little plastic cup of onions in Iceland when you order the dog... something stinks for sure.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What kind of tuna? I got some there and it was suspiciously cheap. I've been making giant sandwiches to prank my friends.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Sam's club has plastic cups of mustard and onions and other condiments... Chili flakes and parmesan.

I saw them when I was trying their food court. I had Pizza instead of a hotdog. It was not bad.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 16, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Wendigee posted:

Sam's club has plastic cups of mustard and onions and other condiments... Chili flakes and parmesan.

I saw them when I was trying their food court. I had Pizza instead of a hotdog. It was not bad.

Just say a friend saw them next them. Less incriminating. But you also shouldn't be friends with Sam's club people, so still incriminating.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

How does that work when the sign says 1/4 lb All Beef Hot Dog plus 20oz Drink (with refill)? :confused:

They shrink the condiments and the bun.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

astral posted:

They shrink the condiments and the bun.

The bun is one of the least important ingredients in the hot dog. It's a vessel to get the dog into your gaping maw without getting your hands dirty. I don't know if they changed it. It's always been incredibly small for the amount of meat tube you get.

I'm very upset about the condiments though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I have always argued that the bun is an essential part of the hot dog experience, and the more bun the better. I have been excommunicated for my beliefs