Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Decon posted:

Blacking out from turning too hard is a kinda neat bit of realism.

The AI straight up doesn't work though so there's little to actually do.

i'm not sure it really is, considering these are star ships with on board gravity generators and all sorts of fancy poo poo, i'm sure blacking out from G forces is literally a thing of the past for the world star citizen is supposed to be in

unfortunately as we all know from crobberts past endeavours, the rule of cool beats out any logic 8 days a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Manky posted:

Oh my god, this comment

People can effectively dunk on SC in the comments on PC gamer now and weren't even fazed by that guy's attempts to brush them off. I'm not even surprised we don't see the commandos show up here these days, it's really hard to keep the rhetoric up after all this time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is blobbers spinning this debacle?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

As the resident computer toucher, one of my friends did ask me to spec up a rig that could run Star Citizen in 2017.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sandweed posted:

As the resident computer toucher, one of my friends did ask me to spec up a rig that could run Star Citizen in 2017.

I hope you recommended Intel Optane™

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is blobbers spinning this debacle?

Apparently he's still around? Look for him in the comments in 2-3 days, after most people have moved on. He's always fashionably late to these things, so he doesn't have to engage directly with too many other people.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Has there been any speculation about the effects that monetary tightening might have on Star Citizen's deranged crowdfunding model?

Genuinely wonder if this might make a dent in the truly unsinkable Titanic that this project has become since I started posting in this thread nearly 10 years ago.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen funding defies all logic, the worse the game gets the slower the progress the more broken it becomes the more money the pull in. Don't try to apply logic to it.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Yea true, I'm being ridiculous.

I am kind of desperate for catharsis. But Star Citizen is just another peculiar tangent in humanity's interminable disaster. Waiting for it to collapse is as much of a sucker's game as waiting for it to come out.

Happy Sisyphus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 15, 2023

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Sankis posted:

this dumb gently caress in the image is making me irrationally angry. He's defending the bullshit cig is doing and no doubt thinks it'll be the best drat space sim ever. Probably dedicated an unhealthy amount of his life to it.

And this absolute motherfucker just used lightyear as a measurement of time.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
ChatGPT is being.... generous with it's estimates. There's no way this game releases by 2026.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Popete posted:

Star Citizen funding defies all logic, the worse the game gets the slower the progress the more broken it becomes the more money the pull in. Don't try to apply logic to it.

Man, even the den of true believer morons that made up the MMO guild I was playing around that time have given up on SC. And they had a shitload of 1k$+ whales.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Blue On Blue posted:

unfortunately as we all know from crobberts past endeavours, the rule of cool beats out any logic 8 days a week

That's the part I'm fine with.

The part I'm not fine with is when "the rule of cool" means pissing away dev time on persistent empty water bottles.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Leif. posted:

ChatGPT is being.... generous with it's estimates. There's no way this game releases by 2026.

Have to wonder how much of what chap GPT can have to say about star citizen comes from these forums.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I have a friend that met some SC players in a zombie survival game he plays called SCUM. He bought a starter package but I don't know if he ever actually played. He mainly sticks with SCUM.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/lYRpcoE.mp4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Manky posted:

Oh my god, this comment

Right.
It's not even beta yet.
But the game “has come so far”.
But it has been in development since 2010, according to Chris.
But this is normal after more than half a billion dollars have gone into that development.
But that's actually games industry giant Time Warner (wtf?!) making you believe this equation doesn't balance out.

Right, right, riiiiiight. That's some very impressive reality-warping dissonance at play right there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol at even attempting to take ChatGPT seriously when you had to inform it immediately after its response, changing its answer.

ChatGPT changes the goalposts like a backer.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
As long as there are Russians looking to get their money out of a sinking economy, SC funding should remain healthy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

As long as there are Russians looking to get their money out of a sinking economy, SC funding should remain healthy.

When you're getting money out of an economy you usually want to store it in a way you can get at least some some of it back. Preferably all of it with a return, but you know sometimes people will take a hit, particularly if they need to get the money out fast and don't have contacts that can help with that kind of thing.

This is just about the same burning the cash in your back yard but far far less entertaining.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol at even attempting to take ChatGPT seriously when you had to inform it immediately after its response, changing its answer.

ChatGPT changes the goalposts like a backer.

ChatGPT is just autocorrect on steroids; having been trained on sincere-sounding bullshit, it is optimized for spewing out sincere-sounding bullshit.

That said, if anyone knows anyone who works at CIG and needs a break, I bet ChatGPT would produce great patch notes, backer newsletters, and internal reports. Assuming they're not using it already.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The SC hot dogs don't sound that fidelitous anymore.

https://twitter.com/datbx_/status/1635510281542545409

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

BigglesSWE posted:

Paaaarp up that can citizer

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Popete posted:

I don't actually talk about Star Citizen outside of this thread, it's too embarrassing to discuss in real life.

Star Citizen: it's too embarrassing to discuss in real life

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

yeah he ate a regular ban for that and then a perma for posting the linkedin page of a reddit guy who pissed him off by constantly claiming he worked for a major software company and bragging about how he helped mod some game or another lol

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Admittedly I’m only an occasional train-wreck observer but I haven’t seen Croberts in quite a while. Have they silently yeeted him off?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

colonelwest posted:

I hope you recommended Intel Optane™

I refused to do it, and told him to come back in 2025.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cutedge posted:

They are selling new 1600 dollar spaceship packages. You can buy them and get access to the game immediately.

You fudding fudster! The 1600 dollar ships and packages do not give you access to the game. You need to buy a starter ship package for that and those are only like 60-100 bucks

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BigglesSWE posted:

Admittedly I’m only an occasional train-wreck observer but I haven’t seen Croberts in quite a while. Have they silently yeeted him off?

CIG big wigs have gone into stealth mode since around 2019. Chris surfaces every six-twelve months to show these alive and then ducks back into coding 24/7 which is totally what he's doing.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 15, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Decon posted:

Blacking out from turning too hard is a kinda neat bit of realism.

Don't all those ships come with artificial gravity, which would imply that the pilot's body is never subjected to any g force when manoeuvering?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Don't all those ships come with artificial gravity, which would imply that the pilot's body is never subjected to any g force when manoeuvering?

Sorry to be anal about this, but is this really how it works? Isn't blacking out more of a problem with inertia rather than gravity? Inertia still exists in space once you start turning really fast, or spinning.

Also in my group of gaming friends, I am the one who brings the news about Scam Citizen, just because I think this whole mess is too funny to miss. None of them have discovered it organically, I think one of them found some mockery of it online, but it never penetrated our group too much. But we are a bunch of poor Europeans who could never ever justify spending 100+ dollars on a single thing in any game ever, so maybe that's why we're not the target.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kikas posted:

Sorry to be anal about this, but is this really how it works? Isn't blacking out more of a problem with inertia rather than gravity? Inertia still exists in space once you start turning really fast, or spinning.

Occasionally in sci-fi media they'll mention ships having inertia dampeners, just because of this. Often even not including what ever handwave they use for FTL travel, sci-fi media loves to show ships accelerating at speeds that would pretty much make soup out of anyone on board.

Physics is a harsh mistress.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Rough calculation is that it'd take roughly 9 2/3 years accelerating at 1G to reach the speed of light, so yeah, any kind of convenient travelling-through-space FTL needs massive amounts of handwaving regarding inertia.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Kikas posted:

Didn't think too hard about it, so you may be right, but my understanding of blacking out is that it's due to blood pooling down in the body due to being subjected to "positive" g forces, with redout being the opposite with blood pooling up due to negative g forces. That seems to me the kind of thing artificial gravity/inertia magitech should naturally compensate for, considering it is able to provide a comfy "downwards" 1g whether the ship is in space or in atmosphere. Or is the swimming pool ship spilling water all over the place every time it turns/accelerates?

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Occasionally in sci-fi media they'll mention ships having inertia dampeners, just because of this. Often even not including what ever handwave they use for FTL travel, sci-fi media loves to show ships accelerating at speeds that would pretty much make soup out of anyone on board.

Physics is a harsh mistress.

I love how Alastair Reynold's approaches these subjects in his Revelation Space books, that otherwise gives a feel of hard-scifi:
Humans get the ability to decrease inertia of matter from ancient alien species and start loving around with the tech. At one point a scientist is making experiments with it to decrease inertia towards zero and an accident happens. She survives but is bit confused about where her partner disappeared while evey one else is like 'who? you did that poo poo alone'. After some digging around they found records of the disappeared scientist, only he died before joining the project. But according to the surviving scientist he had totally been part of project and was experimenting with reducing the inertia beyond zero to imaginary numbers, in effect making mass tachyonic and thus achieving FTL travel. Only reason the scientist had survived was that she had been far enough from the erased scientist playing around with his equipment. So the question becomes how many times has this happened before, with scientist going over their heads and being erased from existence...

Humans come to a conclusion that because the ancient aliens, even with their mastery of inertia reducing tech, never used FTL travel and what happened to the scientists, it seems that messing around with FTL travel is really really unadvisable, so they do the uncharacteristic thing and stop loving around with the tech too much. FTL travel is so profane for universe that laws of physics recoil from it and erase beings trying to mess with them on fundamental level.

Breetai posted:

Rough calculation is that it'd take roughly 9 2/3 years accelerating at 1G to reach the speed of light, so yeah, any kind of convenient travelling-through-space FTL needs massive amounts of handwaving regarding inertia.

Isn't it so that even if you never reach speed of light, but continuously accelerating, like with 1G, towards it means that time dilation effects and other relativistic fuckery becomes continuously stronger at certain point? So in theory you could travel to Andromeda within astronaut's lifetime even with slower than light speed, it just means that outside of the space craft, millions of years have passed. Lorentz factor brings up all kinds of fun scenarios regarding travel in relativistic velocities.

Glah fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 15, 2023

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Kikas posted:

Also in my group of gaming friends, I am the one who brings the news about Scam Citizen, just because I think this whole mess is too funny to miss. None of them have discovered it organically, I think one of them found some mockery of it online, but it never penetrated our group too much. But we are a bunch of poor Europeans who could never ever justify spending 100+ dollars on a single thing in any game ever, so maybe that's why we're not the target.

If you can generate gravity in a ship so that you can walk around on deck while the ship is in free fall, you can counteract the effects of inertia to some extent. If you can make the gravity inside the ship the same direction as the ship is accelerating, the pilot will only feel whatever acceleration is left over. If your ship can generate 4G of internal gravity, it can counteract 4G of turning, so that a 5G turn will feel like a 1G turn. This is because gravity acts equally on all parts of the body, so gravitic acceleration can not be felt unless it is counteracted by some force (like the force the ground exerts on our feet that prevents us from falling through the floor).

This is high school level physics.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Star Citizen operates on whatever level of physics you need to believe that you can just ‘swim’ in a zero gravity environment to move yourself around, and to argue this point with a dude who’s actually been to space.

Pre-school level physics maybe.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

pun pundit posted:

If you can generate gravity in a ship so that you can walk around on deck while the ship is in free fall, you can counteract the effects of inertia to some extent. If you can make the gravity inside the ship the same direction as the ship is accelerating, the pilot will only feel whatever acceleration is left over. If your ship can generate 4G of internal gravity, it can counteract 4G of turning, so that a 5G turn will feel like a 1G turn. This is because gravity acts equally on all parts of the body, so gravitic acceleration can not be felt unless it is counteracted by some force (like the force the ground exerts on our feet that prevents us from falling through the floor).

This is high school level physics.

All right, so I was right, it is inertia. Just never thought of counteracting it with gravity like that since that would require adjusting the gravity a lot on the fly lol. Well, it's handwavium gravity goo after all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Holy poo poo, is this grift really a decade old? Where did the last ten years go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
The funniest thing about blacking out was that if a commando stands next to pilot, there is no effect on him. Unless they've added proper forces on poo poo inside of ship, but it is CIG, so I assume no