Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

did you start calling it "thiccness" as a workaround

:heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol scroogled again

Lol yes I ran into this exactly just recently. I think my second attempt was also reserved, not sure if I tried "Trips" or something similar

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol yes I ran into this exactly just recently. I think my second attempt was also reserved, not sure if I tried "Trips" or something similar

i went with "Travel!!!!!"

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Going back to that guy saying his Andoird was freaking out and calling 911 and poo poo, like, how does that even happen? What sort of goofy race condition could happen in that operating system that would cause that? lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

trilljester posted:

Going back to that guy saying his Andoird was freaking out and calling 911 and poo poo, like, how does that even happen? What sort of goofy race condition could happen in that operating system that would cause that? lol

with bad enough programming anything is possible

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

trilljester posted:

phone camera detected a dark skin tone nearby

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
speaking of bad software… a bug in pixel phones for the last 5 years has been including the full image data in files cropped by the pixel phone’s image markup tool. in many cases the original image can be recovered from these.

https://twitter.com/itssimontime/status/1636857478263750656

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Management posted:

speaking of bad software… a bug in pixel phones for the last 5 years has been including the full image data in files cropped by the pixel phone’s image markup tool. in many cases the original image can be recovered from these.

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

we’re talking about in the security thread. Basically 5 years ago someone at google changed the behavior for the write only flag in an android core library from using the C fopen behavior to the POSIX open behavior.

In fopen write only implies the truncate flag which zeros out the file on open. In the posix open write only does not do anything to the file until you write to it.

it is not clear if this was an intentional change

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

lol, ok, that is hilarious in how bad it is.

though easy to miss in a week where samsung socs all over turn out to have fatal flaw where an (unanswered) phone call can take over the device from the firmware level.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lol, ok, that is hilarious in how bad it is.

though easy to miss in a week where samsung socs all over turn out to have fatal flaw where an (unanswered) phone call can take over the device from the firmware level.

if you have a pixel phone you’ve got both of these!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol someone at work just bought a pixel to put a 'secure third-party android' build on. not sure they'll be too happy to find it's instantly compromisable with a phone call

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it does genuinely please me, not that there are security issues as such, but that there is some actual light being shone on how garbage the arm soc market is on all this. i am pretty persuaded that android is mostly very good on security in and of itself (a real funny failure above granted), but oems and soc manufacturers stand ready to undermine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

honestly surprised that cellular basebands haven’t caused more security problems over the years

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

just got one of those survey ads on YouTube that I usually skip

"please rate your recent ad experiences on YouTube"
  • awful
don't know what the others read because I clicked 'awful' so fast lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there are ads on youtube?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

it does genuinely please me, not that there are security issues as such, but that there is some actual light being shone on how garbage the arm soc market is on all this. i am pretty persuaded that android is mostly very good on security in and of itself (a real funny failure above granted), but oems and soc manufacturers stand ready to undermine.

much like the pc market, the base os is relatively secure but oems load them up with a ton of preinstalled insecure garbage

Agile Vector posted:

lol someone at work just bought a pixel to put a 'secure third-party android' build on. not sure they'll be too happy to find it's instantly compromisable with a phone call

anroid: you called that, secure?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

Lmao so nobody noticed that the cropped files are the same size as the original in 5 years?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

who looks at file sizes on their phones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

who looks at file sizes on their phones

android users probably

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

we’re talking about in the security thread. Basically 5 years ago someone at google changed the behavior for the write only flag in an android core library from using the C fopen behavior to the POSIX open behavior.

In fopen write only implies the truncate flag which zeros out the file on open. In the posix open write only does not do anything to the file until you write to it.

it is not clear if this was an intentional change

that rules

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

android users probably

*jester hat chart* buy more sd cards!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
what android phones even still have sd card slots, weren't those all removed along with the headphone jacks because of "courage" uh, innovation

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Zamujasa posted:

what android phones even still have sd card slots, weren't those all removed along with the headphone jacks because of "courage" uh, innovation

cheap ones

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Plot twist: apparently Google had it fixed for two years before pushing it out, from an Arstechnica comment:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/google-pixel-bug-lets-you-uncrop-the-last-four-years-of-screenshots/?comments=1&comments-page=1

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a samsung tablet that has an sd card slot

android tablets are a joke, yes, but they are more likely to have stuff that doesn't go on waterproof devices like headphone jacks, and sd card slots.

Still wish those devices had removable batteries though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got a free Samsung tablet and I just run a digital photo frame app on it on the kitchen wall. And sometimes I look up recipes on there

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i got a $10 samsmug tablet from sprint a decade ago and the battery on it started bulging about three years later. at least it didn't explode, i guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Plot twist: apparently Google had it fixed for two years before pushing it out, from an Arstechnica comment:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/google-pixel-bug-lets-you-uncrop-the-last-four-years-of-screenshots/?comments=1&comments-page=1

probably some gross nerd working for google photos is working on fappening 2.0. (it's just taking forever because no celebrities use androids)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
somehow, volkswagon is the best android oem

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

make the phone vw

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

isn't android auto like carplay where the actual application is running on the host phone and the car is mostly just an interactive screen?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

no that’s android auto, this is android automotive which is an entirely different product, where the entire car infotainment system is running a version of android

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

make the phone vw

volk phone

no... i don't like the sound of that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

no that’s android auto, this is android automotive which is an entirely different product, where the entire car infotainment system is running a version of android

oh, yes, of course. how silly of them to confuse the two

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my android tv has been stable for 4 years now but 15 is a big ask

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

google marketing should just switch to AAOS for this poo poo because it’s the rare case where a random acronym is less confusing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

to add further confusion you still have the AAOS with and without google automotive services (GAS) distinction just like AOSP and google play services

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

i legit didn't know this was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbh with them having lined up everything for 15 years of support (and that's 15 years past the end of production sounds like) it doesn't necessarily sound like a bad choice. do wish they'd promise a final "locked down" patch too, which you can opt into to neuter all network aspects of the thing to turn it into something dumb but hopefully indefinitely safe. but that's something all cars would need these days.