Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Gorson posted:

I read an article a while ago about how when everything collapses we'll get "everything is ok messages" and nobody will know the true extent until they look around and all the leadership and rich people have disappeared. I want to say there's even a term for this (other than just Baghdad Bobbing) but I'm drawing a blank.

“A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that's just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it's a joke.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
it wasnt a bailout, a bunch of depositors had their money returned to them. its not their fault the bank hosed up. who can object to that?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

🩸

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1636017237160247296

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Der Meister posted:

this says over 90% of SVB’s depositors had over 250k?????? what?????

they were the fart app company payroll bank

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Der Meister posted:

It was a golden goose bank for millionaires and billionaires that gave their customers sweet heart rates. Why do you think the goverent moved so fast on a regional bank?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
GIVE ME CREDIT
GIVE ME SUISSE
GIVE ME CIRCUIT BREAKER AS A TREAT

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

swiss cheese

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
its this clown though

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
inverted yield curves, talk dirty to me bby

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

It was a golden goose bank for millionaires and billionaires that gave their customers sweet heart rates. Why do you think the goverent moved so fast on a regional bank?

I’d never heard of the loving bank and im retarded op

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

BIS, the other G-SIBs, and the Bank's National Bank I think? A G-SIB has never gone under, and I don't think they'll be allowed to.

If the bank becomes a giant sucking void, at what point can’t the Swiss government not let it at least partially fail? I mean some point it will have to be put down and Version 2.0 put into place in its stead. Or something. Just throwing government money into the bank endlessly can’t be a good solution in any term (short or long)

If management keeps acting like they will be bailed out of anything, at some point doesn’t the government have to step in and do something to right the ship? At the very least clear out the management as an example to show the money havers that something is being done.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Der Meister posted:

There was a reason that senators were talking about a bailout within hours of things kicking off. People should honestly be livid at the government response here.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

:sickos:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope the FDIC spent so much money that when normal banks go down they can legally say whoops no more cash

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

BLOOD
BLOOD
GALLONS OF THE STUFF
GIVE EM ALL THAT THEY CAN DRINK AND IT WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

swiss cheese

*Emmentaler

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

There was a reason that senators were talking about a bailout within hours of things kicking off. People should honestly be livid at the government response here.

They lucked out on this one because people don't really understand money or banks at all

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

George Rouncewell posted:

I hope the FDIC spent so much money that when normal banks go down they can legally say whoops no more cash

If it's a no-name regional bank that isn't the finance nexus of a politically powerful industry, they'll say that and nobody will connect the dots.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Meanwhile Credit Suisse might be the real black swan

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

so whats going on with credit sussy? Are they getting bailed out or something

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This was just confirmed on bloomberg

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

so whats going on with credit sussy? Are they getting bailed out or something

is anyone even large enough to bail them out solo?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Orvin posted:

At the very least clear out the management as an example to show the money havers that something is being done.

lol they've done this like 7 times in the past 3 years

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Nothus posted:

If it's a no-name regional bank that isn't the finance nexus of a politically powerful industry, they'll say that and nobody will connect the dots.

I think that they did it on the 15th anniversary of bear stearns and that the banks constituencies aren't popular / there is a definitive political divide here will punch through a lot of poo poo

but if the narrative is in lockstep people will believe whatever the TV says, yes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nothing interesting will ever happen

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

The only way 100bps of cuts actually happens in the next 9 months is if the economy explodes.

the unkindest cut of all

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

lol they've done this like 7 times in the past 3 years

Hmm, well then I guess the feed cash to the giant sucking void is the plan after all.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, the whole point with CS is that they're a shithole of a bank endlessly plagued by scandals. If they actually "collapse" it means they finally did something big enough that they can't just fire a handful of people or have their CEO walk away and be like "oops we did an espionage lol"

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
whats next, HBSC lmao

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
all crime banks fail and bailed

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

in these trying times you can listen to this amazing message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rse91TRezY

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Why the gently caress have I come back after 90 minutes to see Credit Suisse is back up to 1.93 from 1.60? I hate the markets.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He's bringing the immense talent he's shown in keeping his family alive to the economy.

oh poo poo lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!

forkboy84 posted:

Why the gently caress have I come back after 90 minutes to see Credit Suisse is back up to 1.93 from 1.60? I hate the markets.

the market is edging you

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the market is edging you

This poo poo is so loving dumb

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

BUY the DIP, BABY!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

This poo poo is so loving dumb

thats the point its an entire garbage system based on magical thinking

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mila kunis posted:

it wasnt a bailout, a bunch of depositors had their money returned to them. its not their fault the bank hosed up. who can object to that?

it is a bailout, just because it's super low risk (in that fdic will likely get all their money back when they liquidate svb) and making depositors who make a low, but now very low, risk bet not have to wait a week to get their money back doesn't mean it's not a bailout

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Wheeling out sleepy Joe to say the economy is fine was only good for a single day of rallying? :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

the crime bank will always come out on top

even if they are like 3 or 4 in the crime bank depth charts