Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

qirex posted:

I just rewatched “Cheek to Cheek: a Stripper’s Story” and I love that the whole episode was probably just one of the writers came up with the phrase “chivalric cabaret” and went from there.

Could have just went to banker school!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

qirex posted:

I just rewatched “Cheek to Cheek: a Stripper’s Story” and I love that the whole episode was probably just one of the writers came up with the phrase “chivalric cabaret” and went from there.

My favorite thing about the episode is Jeff getting more in shape as the episode goes along.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
If his character's whole point wasn't that he has a really stupid dream and thus it has to be the worst possible version of something extant, he'd probably be into cabaret.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Up through mid-Season 2 in my rewatch. It has been fun to revisit the era where the production team is clearly struggling with how to handle Roger episode-to-episode; the rapid realization that having a main character who can't leave the home limits both his own storylines and his ability to get involved with other characters' (and how he's even a liability in that one location, when characters from outside the core cast show up.) I was surprised at how quickly the show starts dabbling in "Maybe Roger can wear a disguise for a little while before people get suspicious? If we call out that they think he's old, or sick?" before moving on to full-on "Roger just puts on a shirt and a hat and it's fine, nobody notices, who cares." The idea of him being multiple characters at all times still feels a ways off though.

On the negative side, way more rape jokes than I remember. They really jump out at me because they're all of that crappy mid-00's "edgy" comedy sensibility, where the shock of a character casually saying "rape" essentially stands in for an actual gag.

qirex posted:

Along those lines, best thing that I had completely forgotten about was Francine and Roger's B-story in "Camp Refoogee", where they both adopt characters and play act as an intellectual married couple for months before culminating in a full-on Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? parody. Really feels like a write-what-you-know thing, where the impetus was "There's this guy on my improv team who seems to get off on sabotaging other performers' characters at every opportunity."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

JethroMcB posted:

Along those lines, best thing that I had completely forgotten about was Francine and Roger's B-story in "Camp Refoogee", where they both adopt characters and play act as an intellectual married couple for months before culminating in a full-on Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? parody. Really feels like a write-what-you-know thing, where the impetus was "There's this guy on my improv team who seems to get off on sabotaging other performers' characters at every opportunity."

*wipes glasses*

...tell them how you killed our baby. :smugjones:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

YeahTubaMike posted:

*wipes glasses*

...tell them how you killed our baby. :smugjones:

That punchline rushed back to me when the scene started; the long, purposeful wind-up is so good.

"Do you think our baby...couldn't have drowned in the pool?"
"Oh, no; you left the gate open, she sank like a stone. You're going to have to live with that for the rest of your life."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

What was it dear....ECONOMICS

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched a couple of early Debbie episodes and oof, they are not great. The episode that introduces her ostensibly is body positive, except it still makes a bunch of cheap fat jokes at her expense.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You can take the Joy Division bit from my cold, dead hands :colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

New episode in a week, I'm hyping myself up for it now so I can be emotionally prepared.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

muscles like this! posted:

Watched a couple of early Debbie episodes and oof, they are not great. The episode that introduces her ostensibly is body positive, except it still makes a bunch of cheap fat jokes at her expense.

I liked Stan's attitude towards her. Making all those fat jokes until he found out she was into guns, then stopped. She really didn't have much else going on, I guess that's why the writers dropped her.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yeah, that's another thing I had forgotten - the show is merciless with the fat jokes early on; it's a pretty big part of Stan's character for a while. Debbie, Barry, strawmen and random background characters, they're all constant punching bags. That first Debbie episode is especially rough. I don't know if the fat jokes start to wane after that one or if it was just so loaded that everything afterward feels like they're laying off that topic.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The show uses Stan's judgmental behavior about Debbie to plumb his own body image issues pretty effectively I think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would be one thing if it was just Stan being a jerk but they also wrote in fat jokes where Debbie is the one doing "fat" things.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

There's a reason why even though I'm a strong advocate for Steve getting a girlfriend again(and this time making it permanent) I've always suggested it be someone besides Debbie, she's just not a very good character

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It was best they moved on from her.
Plus Steve has Snot.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i like debbie but it's true snot is a better love interest for him

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neeksy posted:

It was best they moved on from her.
Plus Steve has Snot.

See I have no real issue with Steve ending up with a boyfriend instead but Snot would be terrible for that, he's a lovely friend and he'd be an even shittier boyfriend

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah, they're both terrible and deserve each other

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mx. posted:

yeah, they're both terrible and deserve each other

Nah Steve is a fine lad and deserves much better friends than the lovely one dimensional ones he's stuck with

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Have their good boy oath kisses meant nothing?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

qirex posted:

The writer probably heard it on their first day of banker school

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I saw the episode where their moms were fighting for the first time the other day. Pretty funky. Also reminds me on how things just don't end up cleanly solved by the end of the episode as much in the modern seasons.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Snot's Mom's Kid lmao

Huh, you're right. A lot of them are "bad" endings too, like the Weed Facrory episode ends with Jeff and Stan likely to die from the glass elevator, or the firefighter episode where Stan's severely burned.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Alxprit posted:

I saw the episode where their moms were fighting for the first time the other day. Pretty funky. Also reminds me on how things just don't end up cleanly solved by the end of the episode as much in the modern seasons.

I love that episode just for the stupid gag "Yeah, Sub Hub was running that promotion in the 80s when they were just sending people to hell."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason why even though I'm a strong advocate for Steve getting a girlfriend again(and this time making it permanent) I've always suggested it be someone besides Debbie, she's just not a very good character

Biggest surprise after "Oh yeah, Debbie was a character for a while" - seeing a pre-Party Down/Cloverfield Lizzy Caplan's name in the credits voicing Debbie.

Giving Steve a girlfriend opens up a lot of new storylines and gags, but also cuts off the ability to use his desperation for a relationship for those same things (And having Steve be a hopelessly geeky loser is clearly the writers' preferred mode for the character.) Still, I'm surprised they haven't tried to establish a happy medium by giving him an on-again off-again relationship; a recurring character that they could use when it makes sense but quickly write out/around when having a steady girlfriend would butt up against the plot.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Sure I could buy having a Jimmy Jr.-style character for Steve. They certainly aren't afraid of making new long-term side characters.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I'm surprised they haven't tried to establish a happy medium by giving him an on-again off-again relationship; a recurring character that they could use when it makes sense but quickly write out/around when having a steady girlfriend would butt up against the plot.

I'm really hoping they do that with the girl he met went they went on that field trip to Philadelphia.

I also want the girl Snot met to make a return appearence even more.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
That's the beauty of Steve. He's such a dork that you can have him lose his virginity to the head cheerleader and still be a dweeb in later episodes.*

*Please don't do this there is way too much of that kind of thing in modern TV shows to the point it's very creepy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I started a fresh rewatch and I'm about halfway done with the first season. It was surprising how over animated the early episodes were, they seriously looked like CD-i Zelda game cutscenes. They also clearly don't have the characterizations down yet, and sadly the Disney+ still has the "all of Toshi's dialogue is subtitled as [Speaking Asian language]" which is just ... gently caress.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Klaus as a bodega owner is the most on point this show's ever been about anything

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

Biggest surprise after "Oh yeah, Debbie was a character for a while" - seeing a pre-Party Down/Cloverfield Lizzy Caplan's name in the credits voicing Debbie.

Giving Steve a girlfriend opens up a lot of new storylines and gags, but also cuts off the ability to use his desperation for a relationship for those same things (And having Steve be a hopelessly geeky loser is clearly the writers' preferred mode for the character.) Still, I'm surprised they haven't tried to establish a happy medium by giving him an on-again off-again relationship; a recurring character that they could use when it makes sense but quickly write out/around when having a steady girlfriend would butt up against the plot.

The reason I'm in favor of just sticking him in a permanent relationship(that isn't his toxic bromance with Snot) is because they've completely emptied the well on plots they could do with him being single, indeed an old post of mine from back in 2016 was about pointing out even back then that the show had done "Steve tries to get a girlfriend/get laid" plots way too much(like the show had done it about 40 times at that point, by now that number has probably doubled or even tripled)

Plus I think it's about time for something new to shake up the show's status quo(been a while since the last one of those we had, whichever came second of Rogu getting introduced or Hayley getting the SubHub job) and Steve finally getting a steady girlfriend(or boyfriend if it isn't Snot) would be a good one for that(indeed the only other thing I can think of that they could pull out at this point would be breaking the glass on "Hayley & Jeff finally have a kid" and that seems more like the kind of thing they'd save for a "final" season for the show)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Steve could have been with Milk Girl but he totally blew his chance!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
who gives a poo poo about steve. Klaus is the rising star on the roster

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Klaus has made it clear he is an alpha that can't be tied down to one chick so he can't be the next one to be in a relationship.

I did like the little Shoshana plot line they did for him though, especially since it gave us the Klaus's Boyz episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Milo and POTUS posted:

I do enjoy that they're begrudgingly allowing him personal space and his poster. He really is moving up.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

wrt Steve and romance, I'd rather him have some female friend characters that aren't romantic options before setting him into a new relationship or giving him a new consistent love interest. I liked Ali from the AP Philadelphia episode as a potential as a friend character because she had a lot more going for her than most of the other one-episode girlfriends have been.

Generally I find the Steve plots where he's trying to lose his virginity are when he's the least pleasant. Him being a sensitive good boy with existential questions is one of my favorite facets to his personality and that has shone through more often in the more recent seasons to good effect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who? Oh, you mean Ace McNasty.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
They won't ever have Steve be in a relationship. They have to follow the unwritten law that the loser guy must forever remain the loser guy.

Plus they have Haley/Jeff and Stan/Francine for when they want to do some kind of relationship plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, that's another thing I had forgotten - the show is merciless with the fat jokes early on; it's a pretty big part of Stan's character for a while. Debbie, Barry, strawmen and random background characters, they're all constant punching bags. That first Debbie episode is especially rough. I don't know if the fat jokes start to wane after that one or if it was just so loaded that everything afterward feels like they're laying off that topic.

I still love "Fatty can use the garden hose!"