Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Egg Moron posted:

i'd do good too if i was connected to the internet i bet

Keep in mind that the "crisis" all of these people who teach undergrad were freaking out about last year was that students were simply googling the answers. Now they're freaking out that ChatGPT will do their homework. Functionally, I don't see the difference. The students still aren't learning, except incidentally, and it's still obvious in their work, unless you are teaching a huge class and grading by scantron anyway. If anything, I think what this "proves" is a lot of high school and undergraduate education is still rote memorization that is then, as someone said up thread, queried for use on scantrons.

The problem, and this has been pointed out to me in the AI art thread, is that the people most excited about this, talking to tech journalists etc. are people whose education consisted of doing the above, more or less, they found reading and writing boring, didn't care about art or literature, so of course a machine that can fill out multiple choice questions that are written to have very straightforward answers to be read and graded automatically by machine, or short answer questions written so a tired TA can quickly grade 200 of them, they're convinced that it understands idk loving by G. E. M. de Ste. Croix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm doing my part trying to get a house in Austin lol at me

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Banks are like the fainting goats, they look fine till you spook them and then they go into shock

Incredibly strong fundamentals

absolutely greatest system

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Keep in mind that the "crisis" all of these people who teach undergrad were freaking out about last year was that students were simply googling the answers. Now they're freaking out that ChatGPT will do their homework. Functionally, I don't see the difference. The students still aren't learning, except incidentally, and it's still obvious in their work, unless you are teaching a huge class and grading by scantron anyway. If anything, I think what this "proves" is a lot of high school and undergraduate education is still rote memorization that is then, as someone said up thread, queried for use on scantrons.

education is in an uproar over this, and as an educator I'm rooting for it because it will destroy the shambling corpse that is traditional scholasticism.

find a different way to assess what kids know and can do, if you feel the need to still assess that. maybe it's not so important, but nobody wants that smoke

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't wait for the next Zoltan note.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

some of the more interesting CS updates from Bloomberg

and Matt Levine:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
the best and most useful class I had as an undergrad chemist was my 2nd semester of analytical chemistry where we were given a problem and we had to research and design an experiment. my group had to devise a low tech and a high tech test for proteins that had additional sugar molecules attached as a potential early biomarker for breast cancer. it wasn't just memorizing reactions and stuff it was actual science which is the point of a science education

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I didn't mean to start a new page. One of my mentors once had to grade a 30 page paper written by a Hotep who had written "real" history of Egypt (in a class about the 6th century AD). Despite receiving an F, the student went over his professor's head to submit it to journals of antiquity, who promptly reached out to the school asking what the hell we were doing, which led to the school asking the department the same question. The department kept a copy of the paper, it's passed into legend and is still brought out whenever a new TA or adjunct is pulling their hair out or despairing at their students' work .

In terms of how he strung together historical information, the quality of his prose, ability to marry form and substance, engage with the scholarship, show a grasp of good historical writing, ChatGPT might have an edge, but I think there's another argument. It's possible that we've been half-educating people, at least at the high school level, for a while. I've been told, though I don't know if I agree or not, that most students don't really learn these skills until their Masters. Paradoxically, it means they are getting into grad school on the basis of memorizing the answers to fill out on scantrons.

So, you know, rather than ChatGPT becoming human, we've turned undergrads into ChatGPT and given up on really pushing them academically.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Mar 15, 2023

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

anime was right posted:

may you live in interest-rate times

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

You know everything is good when national regulators need to make daily announcements that everything is good, stable.

It's because information (especially doomer poo poo) spreads like wildfire these days, thanks to social media. So frequent announcements are needed in order to balance out the constant "omg is everything collapsing???" tweets like this one:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Frosted Flake posted:

They're having a liquidity crisis because they have to convert gold teeth and wedding rings into cash quickly.

i'm selling these fine leather jackets

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

I didn't mean to start a new page. One of my mentors once had to grade a 30 page paper written by a Hotep who had written "real" history of Egypt (in a class about the 6th century AD). Despite receiving an F, the student went over his professor's head to submit it to journals of antiquity, who promptly reached out to the school asking what the hell we were doing, which led to the school asking the department the same question. The department kept a copy of the paper, it's passed into legend and is still brought out whenever a new TA or adjunct is pulling their hair out or despairing at their students' work .

In terms of how he strung together historical information, the quality of his prose, ability to marry form and substance, engage with the scholarship, show a grasp of good historical writing, ChatGPT might have an edge, but I think there's another argument. It's possible that we've been half-educating people, at least at the high school level, for a while. I've been told, though I don't know if I agree or not, that most students don't really learn these skills until their Masters. Paradoxically, it means they are getting into grad school on the basis of memorizing the answers to fill out on scantrons.

So, you know, rather than ChatGPT becoming human, we've turned undergrads into ChatGPT and given up on really pushing them academically.

quoted for truth

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
college teaches you how to bullshit old white people and bully underpaid administrators and it doesnt matter if its google or chatgpt, as long as you learn the lesson

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
hopefully we save the banks by banning twitter

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

So was the AI correct on the 15th doomsday claim or what? I'm too poor to keep up with high societies financial shenanigans.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Demilich posted:

So was the AI correct on the 15th doomsday claim or what? I'm too poor to keep up with high societies financial shenanigans.

Almost. One of the biggest banks in the world nearly had a run on it before the Swiss national bank said they would backstop it.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Al! posted:

college teaches you how to bullshit old white people and bully underpaid administrators and it doesnt matter if its google or chatgpt, as long as you learn the lesson

:haibrow:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RC Cola posted:

My company is talking about doing layoffs

would you like to be a founder at my new startup? we are actively pursuing our series A and remain optimistic. the product is a reusable dog poo poo catching bag and the company is called Shittr.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
never missed a bill but columbia gas keeps emailing me that they are there for me in troubled times

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I was stuck working all day and I missed a lot of fun

pretend it's lunchtime and I just posted Oops! All Crime Banks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah this hits the nail on the head. We don't teach thinking skills alongside writing skills. Real writing is never so devoid of thought and context as what we ask students to write. So they learn to produce something that looks like writing but isn't. It presents ideas but doesn't require students to engage with those ideas. The reason ChatGPT blows teachers away and looks as good as student writing is because those students never really learned to write.

Students can definitely get through high school without really learning to write, because writing instruction is geared toward standardized testing and five-paragraph essays, which are both simulacra of writing. It's also entirely confined to the humanities. Undergrad, at least in my experience, does try to go beyond that. But we're hampered by their poor starting position and the limited time we have with them. I assume there is also not a great WAC tradition in many institutions.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Credentialism was a consequence of the Supreme Court deciding employers couldn't give IQ tests to job applicants. The whole modern college system with its barely disguised IQ tests at entrance and graduation are mostly an elaborate work around for this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Banks operate mostly on faith

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
my checks clear on a hope and a prayer

🙏

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Subvisual Haze posted:

Credentialism was a consequence of the Supreme Court deciding employers couldn't give IQ tests to job applicants. The whole modern college system with its barely disguised IQ tests at entrance and graduation are mostly an elaborate work around for this.

Employers can absolutely give tests that are functionally equivalent to IQ tests to applicants, they just have to call it a "X Job competency test" or whatever and theyre golden

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Well that was a fun day. I wonder what will happen tomorrow

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gently caress, stop teasing me with a good time

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Banks operate mostly on faith

capitalism largely works like orks from 40k

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I'm glad this thread seems to finally be getting what they want lol

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
the content we crave!

Danru
May 23, 2022

The very thick and stable adult bank, extremely wet and ready (for backing by the Swiss state financial authority)

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

It's because information (especially doomer poo poo) spreads like wildfire these days, thanks to social media. So frequent announcements are needed in order to balance out the constant "omg is everything collapsing???" tweets like this one:

this has 1600 likes.

also I don't keep tabs of the 2 yr yield but this sounds right?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Do you think China has anything to do with the Saudi bank not giving CS more money alongside the whole Iran deal?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

having a banking crisis not on US banking hours fees unamerican. What are they going to do? start collapsing again while the east coast is still asleep tonight?!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, lol at Bonesaw kicking this all off by cutting off Credit Sus

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SourKraut posted:

gently caress, stop teasing me with a good time

number, stop teasing

just gently caress me already i crave it

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

we need constant announcements from our leaders because DOOMERS are out there spreading messages like this

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Oglethorpe posted:

Do you think China has anything to do with the Saudi bank not giving CS more money alongside the whole Iran deal?

In the sense that holding this particular bag was more politically advantageous when no one was talking about alternate world reserve currencies? Sure. Probably not like a phone call from Xi situation or whatever though

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My brother is just finishing out his PhD, and he's been in a semester long fight with the department because students will fight tooth and nail over their grades now, despite their work not being very good, clearly copying each other, lazily plagiarizing etc. etc. The department wants them to be graded, not on a curve, but based on how good that work is for them, which seems paternalistic and condescending first of all, and requires him to somehow get to know 100+ students over the course of a semester. The advice he's getting is what I've heard people grumbling about elsewhere: forget academic integrity, or wissenschaft, or any of that poo poo, just get these kids out the door, degree in hand.

Basically, a B now is a readable series of paragraphs in English that were not copy-pasted from wikipedia and communicate some sort of idea. They just want this cadre out, and hope that kids who finish high school in person post-pandemic will do better. I don't think that's likely, but it shows that with or without ChatGPT, things are not going well.

One thing he said, he's in a more "scientific" field than I am, is that CS students in particular, engineers generally, see all school work more or less as problems that you work on collaboratively, calculate, copy the correct answer, whatever, rather than individual inquiry. So, as it was relayed to me, ChatGPT seems miraculous because it "knows" things the same way they do, it's just more efficient at looking it up. I don't mean to condescend, I have no idea how to code, I'm not good at math, precisely because those things require me to think differently than I'm used to. Theory, research and literature I like, calculations and process, I have no stomach for.

If this is the difference between disciplines, with one taking the approach that problems are formulaic, there's an answer that just needs to be punched in, and the better you are at that the smarter you are, that makes sense. Because our economic system privileges one, and has probably privileged that mode of thought as well. If you are the kind of person who believes in min-maxing your life, sees education as job training and so the liberal arts as worthless, you aren't wrong. I mean, you are wrong of course, in how things should be, but writing brilliant essays does not get you hired out of university to make $100k a year. There are skills and patterns of thought than can get you recruited by a SV company, where you will use them to think in the same way, and make lots of money, further affirming how smart you are. It makes sense that these people are the ones who most believe ChatGPT has real intelligence, and also why they would be the ones taking its prediction of a market crash to heart.

I don't mean to denigrate them per se, I can see how that happened.

My wife graduated summa cum laude from three prestigious universities and has saved both her textbooks and some of her work. Now, I'm not saying I could be an economist, but you're writing papers in response to a textbook that argues:

Microeconomics posted:

When you finish university, your income will be determined largely by what kind of job you take. If you become a computer programmer, you will earn more than if you become a petrol station attendant. This fact is not surprising, but it is not obvious why it is true. No law requires that computer programmers be paid more than petrol station attendants. No ethical principle says that programmers are more deserving. What, then, determines which job will pay you the higher wage?

Your income, of course, is a small piece of a larger economic picture. In 2012, the total income of all Australian residents was over $1.4 trillion. People earned this income in various ways. Workers earned over half of it in the form of wages and fringe benefits. The rest went to landowners and to the owners of capital the economy’s stock of equipment and structures in the form of rent, profit and interest. What determines how much goes to workers? To landowners? To the owners of capital? Why do some workers earn higher wages than others, some landowners higher rental income than others and some capital owners greater profit than others? Why, in particular, do computer programmers earn more than petrol station attendants?

The answers to these questions, like most in economics, hinge on supply and demand. The supply of and demand for labour, land and capital determine the prices paid to workers, landowners and capital owners. To understand why some people have higher incomes than others, therefore, we need to look more deeply at the markets for the services they provide. That is our job in this and the next two chapters.

This chapter provides the basic theory for the analysis of factor markets. As you may recall from chapter 2, the factors of production are the inputs used to produce goods and services. Labour, land and capital are the three most important factors of production. When a computer firm produces a new software program, it uses programmers’ time (labour), the physical space on which its offices sit (land) and an office building and computer equipment (capital). Similarly, when a petrol station sells petrol, it uses attendants’ time (labour), the physical space (land) and the petrol tanks and pumps (capital).

Ideology aside, in my opinion that's not a university level reading and comes across as borderline insulting but that's what we're working with here, and the people who did really well in that class are considered the smartest in society. Which is appropriate, because if you believe they're the smartest, you probably also believe that the system described therein is the most fair and efficient allocation of resources.

Those are the people who are talking about AI. Now of course, since I'm working from the assumption that belief in AI, success in the economic system and belief in the economic system are intertwined, basically because this is who the universities have been, if not incentivized to produce, than who find the greatest success after graduating, the AI predicting the economy will collapse to people who have a, shall I say antimaterialist worldview, is perfect because they're the most likely to believe it, their economic position is based on these beliefs, the economic position ensures that their actions will have consequences on the market as a whole. Yet, if they panic and tank the market, they will only understand that as a prophesy fulfilled because everything in their lives has led them to this point and they aren't going to question those assumptions.

I mean, they're literally unable to comprehend real reasons why computer programers are paid more than gas station attendants other than they are smarter and better deserving, because that's more or less what they've been taught since Marx was driven from the academy, they're not going to change their entire understanding of society now. They'll just tank the markets and believe that it was cosmically ordained and foreseen by an oracle. Mind you, a gas station attendant probably wouldn't.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:40 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Woke Mind Virus posted:

we need constant announcements from our leaders because DOOMERS are out there spreading messages like this

just constant i mean constant or otherwise you might think this system is in distress