Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

anime was right posted:

company moved our banking info from svb to

get this

you will not loving believe it

credit suisse

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/_mm85/status/1635968325338427392?s=20

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

bagual posted:

by the same coin, if chatgpt can write legal documents and aid lawyers in cases, it's not because the robot got good at being human but that the human judiciary system has been robotized to the point a machine can actually do it

bingo

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WrasslorMonkey posted:

As an AI language model, ChatGPT is designed to generate text based on the input it receives. While it can be a helpful tool for generating ideas or providing information, it is not capable of understanding the specific culture and community of websites like Something Awful.

Using ChatGPT to make posts on Something Awful could result in posts that are inappropriate or offensive to the community, and may not be well-received by other users. Additionally, using AI-generated content could be seen as spamming or manipulating the community.

If you want to participate in the Something Awful community, it's important to take the time to understand the culture and rules of the site, and to create your posts and comments in your own words. This will help you build relationships with other users and contribute to a positive and engaging community.

chatgpt but for fyad

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol it makes you wonder why all politicians practically still need to be lawyers or at least have a JD since we're a long way from either being known for their oration or writing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

HSBC is the eastern crime bank, santander the western, DB and CS are the respectable crime banks, and WF is the guy outside the stadium scalping tickets they printed out on a low ink cannon

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1636133012575498241

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

i will read this as "if i did i wouldnt tell you"

I would tell you. I have no shame

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

it's happening?
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1636125381211168771

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bagual posted:

by the same coin, if chatgpt can write legal documents and aid lawyers in cases, it's not because the robot got good at being human but that the human judiciary system has been robotized to the point a machine can actually do it

I'm gonna step on out there and say it. We are not so very different from these "deep language" models, in quality if not complexity.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

slorp is now BONTO!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/open_sketchbook/status/1636128179923439618?t=awLJR9PE65jQqx4V8I1wNg&s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has anyone heard of this bloom guy? he's a stanford econ (lol) prof who does a lot of stuff on WFH. he sucks

here's a presentation he made https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynjzxh86b8gppr5/Exec_Briefing_March2023%20-%20Copy.pptx?dl=0

my favorite has to be this

quote:

•New WFH technologies are being rapidly developed as the market for WFH products has increased 5x

•For example, scheduling software, better AV, virtual reality and holograms

Should make WFH more appealing and space scheduling easier

also at the end, 15% of people going to work without showering

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 23:47 on Mar 15, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

lmao

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I love those AI planes so much oh my god

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

windows decided to tell me that AMC is down 9.48% to 4.20 lmao

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

😡 american billionaires deserve that market share 😡

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Let me guess: it's a rant about the wing bolt nuts on the p52b ACTUALLY being the same pattern as on the p51d immersion ruined burn this fraud painting.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

err posted:

😡 american billionaires deserve that market share 😡

and the cia needs easier backdoors

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It drives me absolutely apoplectic when I ask for it to depict any historical period I know a good deal about because so much is wrong in very simple ways that you could tell an artist about, or provide reference material to. It does give me a deeper appreciation for history illustrators like Angus McBride though.

The same is true if you know art history because (obviously) it doesn't understand artist or genre, it's just pastiche. Like ChatGPT is "literature" for people who don't like to read, AI creates "art" for people who don't like art.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Let me guess: it's a rant about the wing bolt nuts on the p52b ACTUALLY being the same pattern as on the p51d immersion ruined burn this fraud painting.

some of them have two propellers that are bent at 45 degrees, one has what looks like laser robot thrusters under the wing and a fat guy in glasses in the back seat going "WooOOAAAAAHH" one of them has a wing that gets wider the further it goes out one of them has wheels on the wings that cannot retract

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

mdemone posted:

I'm gonna step on out there and say it. We are not so very different from these "deep language" models, in quality if not complexity.

https://aeon.co/essays/your-brain-does-not-process-information-and-it-is-not-a-computer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

This is actually extremely important. The hands thing is just the most egregious issue but consider an AI that can never place the buttons on a shirt correctly.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

cool av posted:

lol, we’re talking about bank of america here right?

Well i didn't say theyd be paying interest to regular people

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i am harry posted:

a fat guy in glasses in the back seat going "WooOOAAAAAHH"

this one also has a row of ticks burrowing into the fuselage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Frosted Flake posted:

I just had ChatGPT "improve" the writing of the reply I typed out to "be more academic in style and tone", and as an aside, Christ it's overwrought. This is a dumb guy's idea of smart prose:

In these trying times, it seems that the prevailing opinion may be rooted in three principal causes:

1) The Covid lockdowns have become the scapegoat for all societal challenges, be they genuine or illusory.

2) There appears to be a dearth of solutions, save for the lamentable practice of advancing students out of sympathy.

3) A pressing need for hope remains, as the pressures of academia demand a semblance of progress, even as the specter of a faltering society looms.

Indeed, it is indisputable that the seeds of success are often sown in the earliest years of a child's life, nurtured by the loving hands of devoted parents and a passion for lifelong learning. Alas, the tempest of a fragmented society, compounded by the relentless onslaught of the pandemic, has obscured the path to enlightenment for many.

The hallowed halls of academia, once a bastion of intellectual pursuit, now serve as a refuge for those who seek social mobility rather than scholarly fulfillment. The promise of a stable future, once secured by a mere high school diploma, now demands the acquisition of increasingly prestigious degrees. This insatiable hunger for credentials has given rise to a generation of overeducated, underemployed individuals, caught in an intergenerational battle over the merits and follies of higher education.

Amidst this maelstrom, it is all too tempting to cling to the belief that, once the pandemic's shadow has lifted, normalcy shall return. We yearn for a time when our progeny can once again revel in the joys of literature, unfettered by the inadequacies of the educational system that has failed them.

The panic that has gripped the academy is not unlike the fear that was stirred by the advent of Wikipedia—a fear that, with access to such knowledge, our students would forgo the rigors of true scholarship. Yet it is not the tools themselves, but rather the deficiencies in our students' capabilities, that drive them to seek shortcuts.

In this somber reality, it seems that failing our youth would only compound their plight. The very society that neglected to nurture their minds now demands a level of achievement that seems increasingly unattainable. And so, we must ask ourselves: What, then, is to be done?

those sentences aren't nearly long enough to be academic. they need to be at least 3 three lines long if not more

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/Chris_McKeever/status/1636129855443030020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is creditsuisse different than swiss national bank?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I didn't mean to start a new page. One of my mentors once had to grade a 30 page paper written by a Hotep who had written "real" history of Egypt (in a class about the 6th century AD). Despite receiving an F, the student went over his professor's head to submit it to journals of antiquity, who promptly reached out to the school asking what the hell we were doing, which led to the school asking the department the same question. The department kept a copy of the paper, it's passed into legend and is still brought out whenever a new TA or adjunct is pulling their hair out or despairing at their students' work .

Do you have any access to this paper? For academic purposes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

eh close enough for osprey books

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

anime was right posted:

company moved our banking info from svb to

get this

you will not loving believe it

credit suisse

Incredible.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

actionjackson posted:

is creditsuisse different than swiss national bank?

yes

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gonna pour out a toblerone for cs

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I asked for French troops in Indochina, in prompts ranging from just that to incredible detail, including reference photos and illustrations, but as often as not I get Indochinese troops in France. With respect to the critical support it's lending to the colonial struggle, that's not what I asked for.

ref:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Frosted Flake posted:

It drives me absolutely apoplectic when I ask for it to depict any historical period I know a good deal about because so much is wrong in very simple ways that you could tell an artist about, or provide reference material to. It does give me a deeper appreciation for history illustrators like Angus McBride though.

The same is true if you know art history because (obviously) it doesn't understand artist or genre, it's just pastiche. Like ChatGPT is "literature" for people who don't like to read, AI creates "art" for people who don't like art.

When it first came out I asked it for a recap of catch 22 and it said yossarian is a pilot. It's kind of impressive in how it'll get the broad strokes right then instantly go off the rails with pretty obvious stuff.

Like if you ask it what products a company makes it'll get one right then make up some other ones. Mystifying

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

y’all are missing a crucial step.

you need somebody who wants to masterbate to images of planes or French troops in indochina to spend excessive time to train the model on new tagged images and then spend hundreds of hours coming up with good prompts.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you want people to really nitpick stuff get some AI train paintings and post those to some train spotting community.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

this guys seen some hosed up poo poo

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The pilot looks like groyper

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do you have any access to this paper? For academic purposes.

I'll send an email asking if I'm allowed to share it. Apparently the student showed up to class on the first day with their theory set in stone and would not be dissuaded from it. There was about 1100 years between the XXV ("Nubian") Dynasty of Egypt and Cyril of Alexandria's time as bishop, so you can see why being the real pharaohs was a moot point.

I've heard this happens in courses on Hellenistic/Roman/Late Antique and even Arab Egypt, and of course pop culture must not help, but that students usually figure out that they're talking about a very different society eventually. This guy doubled down and so not only set about proving that the pharaohs of the Third Intermediate Period were black (which of course, scholars agree on, at least for the XXV), but that the Ptolemaioi, Roman administrators and Christian bishops were too. I suppose if the Hotep stuff works like "Prominent figure in Egyptian history Y was really black", and doesn't really have temporal bounds, since it extends to Cleopatra VII Philopator, then learning a thousand years of Egyptian history (not really, the class started around 200AD) is just a way to learn about new cool people that They don't want you to know were black too.

In a way, maybe the student was excited to learn in that class, it expanded Hotep lore, and I kind of respect the conviction.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lol banning tiktok for not being owned by enough whites, america what a country