Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Necrothatcher posted:

I can only conclude my body has become Deckified.

I'm sorry, it is terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Talorat posted:

Supposedly Against the Storm plays well on deck, I haven’t tried it yet but played it on PC and it’s phenomenal. I haven’t been that obsessed with a game in a long time.

Oh, awesome. I actually have it installed on my deck already, but haven't played it yet there, only on my desktop. I'll give it a shot next time I have some free time, thanks!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone tried Kid Icarus Uprising on steam deck yet? I recall the controls being horrible on 3ds and cramping my hands up real bad but I forget what the control setup actually was lol
Any DS/3DS game where you don't need to see exactly what you're tapping on works great if you bind a touchpad to a screen region. KIU treats the screen like a virtual trackball so it pretty much controls exactly like any shooter on the Deck with the touchpad in trackball mode, plays way better than on the 3DS.

You don't even really need to see the bottom screen most of the time so it's fine to to full screen the top screen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How's Switch emulation? I have a Switch and pay for games but wouldn't mind playing MP Remastered on this now that I realized how much better the grips are.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

Any DS/3DS game where you don't need to see exactly what you're tapping on works great if you bind a touchpad to a screen region. KIU treats the screen like a virtual trackball so it pretty much controls exactly like any shooter on the Deck with the touchpad in trackball mode, plays way better than on the 3DS.

You don't even really need to see the bottom screen most of the time so it's fine to to full screen the top screen.

Nice, I'll have to set it up then. Thanks!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Necrothatcher posted:

I can only conclude my body has become Deckified.

jokes posted:

Steam Deck: No loads refused

Steam Deck: I can only conclude my body has become Deckified: No loads refused

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I've reached the stage of gaming procrastination with a new device, where I've tinkered so much with it, instead of just playing the drat games I now want to reformat the entire thing and start over because I feel I've tinkered too much?

Why am I are we like this?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rolo posted:

How's Switch emulation? I have a Switch and pay for games but wouldn't mind playing MP Remastered on this now that I realized how much better the grips are.

Depends on the game, but in general it's solid. I've only played maybe an hour of MP remastered, using ryujinx, but it ran well as far as I could tell.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a good guide for botw on the deck? I tried it and it just crashed after the opening cinematic.

This is the guide I followed back around when it was last updated: https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/uv0us5/updated_guide_to_get_legend_of_zelda_breath_of/

something could have changed in the last ~6 months but I remember it being not terribly difficult

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've reached the stage of gaming procrastination with a new device, where I've tinkered so much with it, instead of just playing the drat games I now want to reformat the entire thing and start over because I feel I've tinkered too much?

I don’t know but I felt cleaner after I reformatted the first time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm enjoying Subnautica but I want something story driven to play in between my drownings.

I'm thinking about cracking open another well-liked game I've never touched, Fallout New Vegas. Prolly a good Deck pick yeah?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rolo posted:

I'm enjoying Subnautica but I want something story driven to play in between my drownings.

I'm thinking about cracking open another well-liked game I've never touched, Fallout New Vegas. Prolly a good Deck pick yeah?

You really have to deal with somewhat janky controls/movement, but the game underneath that is engaging and wonderful. I don't play 3 anymore, I just replay NV. And the 4 DLC stories are fantastic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rolo posted:

Pentiment, my friend.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Rolo posted:

wow. yes. go play it now right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone know why Phantom Pain won't launch for me? It gets to "launching executable", the spinning steam icon appears, then it crashes back to my library.

I'm on Stable branch atm.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Pentiment, my friend.

this!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Disappointing Pie posted:

I haven’t reformatted yet but I’m thinking about it
My desktop mode looks like a mess
Nice to know that’s always an option

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Any DS/3DS game where you don't need to see exactly what you're tapping on works great if you bind a touchpad to a screen region.

Also lightgun games! I just beat Time Crisis and mouse region worked great for it, I might play some Point Blank now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Anyone know why Phantom Pain won't launch for me? It gets to "launching executable", the spinning steam icon appears, then it crashes back to my library.

I don't know, but seeing as though it's my current obsession (and now one of my all time favourite games ever), I feel so bad for you :ohdear: :smith:

Check protondb?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I don’t have a deck yet, but I’m *slowly* trying to move over to Linux so I’ll post this here since I can’t find a Linux gaming thread (doubt
there’s many of us)

Does Warhammer III run ok in native? Or is it better to run via proton?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don’t have a deck yet, but I’m *slowly* trying to move over to Linux so I’ll post this here since I can’t find a Linux gaming thread (doubt
there’s many of us)

Can't answer that one, but if you're slowly moving over and also game on Windows, note that cloud saves are often platform segregated. So if you want the game to share cloud saves with your Windows box, you'll want to run it through Proton.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don’t have a deck yet, but I’m *slowly* trying to move over to Linux so I’ll post this here since I can’t find a Linux gaming thread (doubt there’s many of us)
Linux Gaming Megathread

Solaris 2.0 posted:

On the Deck, or in general? Either way, I couldn't tell you. ProtonDB might have useful info.

As for a general answer to that question, it really depends. For Deck Verified titles, Valve will sometimes go with the Proton version over native if the latter is buggy. I've actually seen instances where this has changed on me--I first tried a game on the Deck and it was native, then it got verified and switched to the Proton version. You can always switch back.

Probably the biggest reason native versions don't work well is if they use an older version of libsdl and get the Xbox 360 controller mappings all wrong, but sometimes there's graphical glitches that don't happen under Proton too.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Man I am just here to gush for a bit really.

Cyberpunk! Wow, turns out it wasn't the performance putting me off that game because I still find it boring as heck, thank you steam deck for letting me find that out.

Jedi Fallen Order, holy smokes how did I let this one pass me by? (No gaming pc and not wanting to listen to the ps4 scream is the answer).

I'm really excited about the doors this little thing has opened to me. It's a dadgamer's greatest wish.

Excited to check out some more things from the distant backlog like Horizon and also Horizon 5.

Conan did run but it seems crashy after the latest update for a lot of folks. Everyone on steam blames it on mods but I'm running pure vanilla. It mostly just seems like a dice roll whether the game will load or not but when it does it's fun.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Rolo posted:

New Vegas worked really well for me out of the box and I've read there's a way to get mods running through Mod Organizer if that's your jam.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

LeFishy posted:

Conan did run but it seems crashy after the latest update for a lot of folks. Everyone on steam blames it on mods but I'm running pure vanilla. It mostly just seems like a dice roll whether the game will load or not but when it does it's fun.

Conan is janky as hell and it's become only worse with updates.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Nancy posted:

New Vegas worked really well for me out of the box and I've read there's a way to get mods running through Mod Organizer if that's your jam.

I had a better time with New Vegas on Deck out of the box, than I did even after modding it on a PC.

It just works - possibly the only platform you can say that about New Vegas.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Linux Gaming Megathread

On the Deck, or in general? Either way, I couldn't tell you. ProtonDB might have useful info.

As for a general answer to that question, it really depends. For Deck Verified titles, Valve will sometimes go with the Proton version over native if the latter is buggy. I've actually seen instances where this has changed on me--I first tried a game on the Deck and it was native, then it got verified and switched to the Proton version. You can always switch back.

Probably the biggest reason native versions don't work well is if they use an older version of libsdl and get the Xbox 360 controller mappings all wrong, but sometimes there's graphical glitches that don't happen under Proton too.

Thanks all! Didn’t notice the Linux thread - 12 pages of posts in a year, yea figured not many of us (and why I’ll keep a Win11 dual boot) unfortunately.

I do plan to get a Deck eventually tho and join you all in its awesomeness, so I keep paying close attention to Proton and I’ve noticed from the ProtonDB comments that even if a title is rated native, users seem to have a better experience running it via the Proton layer, at least on the Deck.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

PantsBandit posted:

I launched it once on PC (hadn't played the pc version before) and validated the files on steam deck. The combination of those two things was enough to get it running.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rolo posted:

Well, there's always Subnautica: Below Zero :v:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tweak posted:

This is the guide I followed back around when it was last updated: https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/uv0us5/updated_guide_to_get_legend_of_zelda_breath_of/

something could have changed in the last ~6 months but I remember it being not terribly difficult

I should follow this. I was playing Immortals on game pass the other day and just kept thinking how much I'd rather be playing BoTW. You really appreciate the sparse Nintendo's storytelling when these Ubisoft games won't stfu.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I spent my lunch hour pedaling on an exercise bike while playing Civ VI. Deck continues to be great.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I spent my lunch hour pedaling on an exercise bike while playing Civ VI. Deck continues to be great.

I want to get a dock so I can play the FF pixel remasters with a joycon and cycle

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I finally pulled the trigger on a 64Gb Gabe Gear (money is tight and I figured I'll update the drive as some point anyway) :toot: It should arrive next week, p. excited to get back to proper PC gaming for the first time since 2011 or so.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

barbecue at the folks posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a 64Gb Gabe Gear (money is tight and I figured I'll update the drive as some point anyway) :toot: It should arrive next week, p. excited to get back to proper PC gaming for the first time since 2011 or so.

Yeah that’s how I felt. I built a proper PC in lIke 2020 then realized at some point in my life I stopped wanting to sit at a desk.

I use it for social gaming with friends but playing a full campaign RPG in my office? Naw dog.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My gaming desktop has been out of action since the pandemic started because I already spent 8 hours a day sat at that desk and I wasn’t about to keep doing it.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

My gaming desktop has been out of action since the pandemic started because I already spent 8 hours a day sat at that desk and I wasn’t about to keep doing it.

Yep. Now that I work from home the last thing I want to do is spend EVEN MORE time at my desk. So my expensive loving PC basically just streams to my Deck if there's someone it can't handle natively. I'd feel bad for it but I'm too busy playing RE4R.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, RE4R is the best shortening of a game title yet.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 16, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“Trails in the Sky” would like a word

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I almost exclusively stream to my deck cause
1) graphics
2) 3x battery life
3) the fan doesn’t even turn on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

barbecue at the folks posted:

I also ordered one of these on Saturday (arriving tomorrow supposedly). For a long time I thought "why would anyone ever care much about portable PC games, isn't that basically just a smart phone," but I've been playing Octopath 2 and suddenly realized that it would actually be extremely nice to play games like it or Trails from Azure from my Steam library on a nice portable device while laying in bed (or at any other time). No idea what I was thinking before, since the idea is kind of obviously cool and convenient.