Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Trip report:

This game is decent. The main issue is I don't think the endgame has much longevity in its current state, owing mostly due to itemization being quite simple and boring, a lack of interesting/varied activities, and low monster density in echoes.

I got through the campaign, did each of the dungeons and arena, finished unlocking empowered monoliths, and did a couple of them and am mostly bored now after about 50 hours. I feel like I got my 30 bux worth especially considering I'll probably play more in the future.

The game is pleasing aesthetically, controls are pretty responsive, I like the boss fights, and the crafting system is cool. I think it'll have more legs once they add more content as time goes on. Imo it's the second best ARPG out there at the moment (after PoE of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The Locator posted:

This one took me easily to level 90 and empowered, corrupted monoliths in 8.5. Not sure how much if anything in the latest patch may have changed it. Can easily be played with nothing but the left mouse button running Warpath.

E: https://www.lastepochtools.com/build-guides/the-blender-2-0

This looks great, thanks!

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Trip report:

This game is decent. The main issue is I don't think the endgame has much longevity in its current state, owing mostly due to itemization being quite simple and boring, a lack of interesting/varied activities, and low monster density in echoes.

Yeah this the reason I come back for a week or two every so often and then get bored. There's no way to set your own risk/reward like PoE has with map mods, scarabs, atlas tree etc. The game would honestly be improved if you could just set the Corruption level on a slider. I haven't got to the new dungeons yet so maybe that will help longevity this time around.

Mob density and general pace are frustrating also when coming from 'gotta go fast' PoE.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Vulpes posted:

Mob density and general pace are frustrating also when coming from 'gotta go fast' PoE.

Honestly that's one of the best things for me. PoE can be great, but the constant need for speed just got so old.. I'm old and my reflexes suck and I just much prefer a slower and more relaxed pace.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

yeah, the fact that you aren’t going from one end of the map to another in 30seconds and that you can fully realize a build while levelling and hitting early monoliths/only need to go deep into endgame for your own challenge instead of having to blitz through the campaign and grind for a week before the game ACTUALLY begins are, like, huge plusses for me

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

I don't find that to be my experience at all; I spend much more time in an average PoE map than I do in an average echo in Last Epoch. Some echoes are literally just zoom 15 seconds to the objective, finish it in a couple seconds, and leave. I was playing a Lich with separate Transplant and Reap cooldowns though so that factors into that a bit.

I can understand wanting the pace of combat to be slower though. I think there's a good happy medium here between nuking entire screens in PoE and spending 3 minutes holding left click on a rift guardian in D3.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I don't find that to be my experience at all; I spend much more time in an average PoE map than I do in an average echo in Last Epoch. Some echoes are literally just zoom 15 seconds to the objective, finish it in a couple seconds, and leave. I was playing a Lich with separate Transplant and Reap cooldowns though so that factors into that a bit.

This is true, but most echoes don't give you any meaningful rewards either. They're fast but a lot of them feel like filler to get to the 'good ones' or just to the end of the monolith for a chance at the rare loot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also I hate having to slow down to pick up shards. They should be an auto-pickup like gold, or at least have a setting for that. Unless they do and I am dumb.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well at least they all get picked up together when they're close to each other. I figure they're not auto-pickup since they do consume inventory space until you press the send to forge button, and there's some need for that button in case you want to trade shards with your friends since you can't remove them from the forge inventory.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't understand the point of an arpg if you're not nuking entire screens of enemies by the end; honestly all these games should take notes from vampire survivor

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Papercut posted:

What's the best LE one-button or no-button build?

Avalanche Shaman can basically be played as an auto runner. Build Planner & Video Guide. The linked version of the build stacks cast speed and spams a basic attack to generate ward for sustain, but if you're not worried about pushing hard in the endgame you can stack health instead and use the spell leech blessing from the Black Sun timeline and maybe the health leech on crit node in the Druid tree to sustain. Also, the build can absolutely murder your FPS but that may be less of a problem with the new patch.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hmm loaded up my old dual wield axe beast master and I think they nerfed the poo poo out of something because I could swear I had near cap crit chance fully buffed and now it's like 50%

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Vulpes posted:

Yeah this the reason I come back for a week or two every so often and then get bored. There's no way to set your own risk/reward like PoE has with map mods, scarabs, atlas tree etc. The game would honestly be improved if you could just set the Corruption level on a slider. I haven't got to the new dungeons yet so maybe that will help longevity this time around.

yeahm, im having fun now with last epoch but im always chasing that screen clearing poe high i always get, so I'll always go back. this was my one character from a few leagues ago, it was pure dopamine hits all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0JyfMdRFgI

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

gnoma posted:

Avalanche Shaman can basically be played as an auto runner. Build Planner & Video Guide. The linked version of the build stacks cast speed and spams a basic attack to generate ward for sustain, but if you're not worried about pushing hard in the endgame you can stack health instead and use the spell leech blessing from the Black Sun timeline and maybe the health leech on crit node in the Druid tree to sustain. Also, the build can absolutely murder your FPS but that may be less of a problem with the new patch.

Nice, thanks!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Futzing around on other classes and found a Rune of Ascendance in the areas around the Cultist Camp. Now to stare at it sitting in my forge as I’m overcome with decision paralysis about what to roll the dice on. :v:

E: I rolled on staves and got a Jasper's Searing Pride, which from poking around seems to be considered not too great?

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 16, 2023

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Did the patch break some stuff? I can't get my wolf to show up any more.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I realized the loot filter in this game is amazing and a must-configure once in monolith.

For now I have it set to showing items with a combined affix tier of 10.

What configurations do you peeps use or recommend?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have a unique amulet that says I should be able to summon wolves, but I don't see any way to actually summon them? No skill shows up to assign to a key, and just playing no wolves ever appear.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well at least they all get picked up together when they're close to each other. I figure they're not auto-pickup since they do consume inventory space until you press the send to forge button, and there's some need for that button in case you want to trade shards with your friends since you can't remove them from the forge inventory.

You can't trade them with your friends anyway (I tried), so there is no reason for them to exist as inventory objects either.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Clarste posted:

You can't trade them with your friends anyway (I tried), so there is no reason for them to exist as inventory objects either.

pressing that transfer button is a satisfying thing tho, so they might even just keep it in as a dopamine trigger

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

The Locator posted:

I have a unique amulet that says I should be able to summon wolves, but I don't see any way to actually summon them? No skill shows up to assign to a key, and just playing no wolves ever appear.

That ties into a specific primalist ability that summons wolves.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Yea, Summon Wolf is a Primalist skill. Normally they can only have 1 Doggo out of X Companions (distinct from Minions), but both The Claw and The Fang allow them to summon up to X Wolves instead.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Talking about screen-clearing AOE, ironically the rogue is the last archetype I’ve played but it looks like it may scratch that itch the best for me. There’s a build where you spawn a bunch of shadows that then spawn big spinning blades that absolutely melt things, and you also proc several AOEs when you use your travel skill. It doesn’t feel as clunky as the mage builds I tried that tended to have longer animations and mana/cd issues.

Mikojan posted:

I realized the loot filter in this game is amazing and a must-configure once in monolith.

There are certain affixes that are rare but also extremely good for almost every build so highlighting any item that has them so you can pull shards out of it is highly recommended. “Hybrid Health” that gives both flat health and percent health in one mod is the primary example. I also use this to highlight specific class affixes that I need for any of the characters I play because if you only have a filter set up for the character you’re currently playing you can miss some good stuff. As an example, I want items with “increased warpath area” to show up regardless of the character I’m playing so I can get those shards for the void knight I’m still leveling. It does take a little bit of time to go through all the class affixes and select the ones you think you want but it’s not too bad.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 16, 2023

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Mikojan posted:

I copied the filter from one of the Maxroll.gg build guides and tweaked it for my own build. In general things go in this order:

-Show all Uniques/Set items
-Big Red Text for high value affixes for my specific build or builds I want to try out (+level to skills I use plus a couple others)
-Big Text for specific item slot rules; for this, I created one rule with all the good possible affixes I would want for my specific build or builds I want to try out, picked the base types I want, and have it show if 3 of the affixes (2 for weapons) are on the item. Then I copied the rule a bunch of times for each gear slot and picked the base types I want for each new rule.
-Show all Exalted items
-Big White Text for rare, valuable shatterable affixes (hybrid health and percent health)
-White Text for other shatterable affixes that I might want
-Big Turquoise Text for idols with two good mods for my specific build or builds I want to try out
-Turquoise Text for idols with one good mod for my specific build or builds I want to try out
-Hide other idols
-Hide all other Normal/Magic/Rare items

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

bobtheconqueror posted:

That ties into a specific primalist ability that summons wolves.

Sab669 posted:

^Yea, Summon Wolf is a Primalist skill. Normally they can only have 1 Doggo out of X Companions (distinct from Minions), but both The Claw and The Fang allow them to summon up to X Wolves instead.

Thanks to both of you. That makes sense, I just didn't realize it was a class specific thing and assumed it was just gonna give me some wolves to run alongside my skelly buddies. heh.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Unfortunately not! Would be cool.

Now that I think about it, didn't D2 have items that could grant charges of a Skill? Has another RPG done that? I never played much of Grim Dawn if that did it.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Unfortunately not! Would be cool.

Now that I think about it, didn't D2 have items that could grant charges of a Skill? Has another RPG done that? I never played much of Grim Dawn if that did it.

https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/List_of_unique_items_granting_skills

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Grim dawn has items that grant skills sometimes but they usually suck.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I suspect that granting cross-class active skills isn't likely to be a thing while the hotbar is as cramped as it is, but cross-class TRIGGERED skills is something LE's unique roster could perhaps use more of (I think it has a few though?)

Thing is that an extra skill that you can't spec into/your class doesn't support with passives is only likely to be any use in weird edge cases. OTOH finding those edge cases can be fun!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 16, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh yeah it's super cramped right now. Apparently being unable to bind things to left mouse is a bug, though. Right now if I want to pick up another minion skill or something on my necromancer I'd need to give up the ability to directly attack entirely.

... maybe I should anyway :thunk:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zereth posted:

theres a set that changes your normal auto attack into a cooler auto attack and it was one of my favorite builds lol

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

Grim Dawn has the previously-pooped-in pants you can find and wear and they grant you a skill that lets you throw the poop at enemies. Also, like a lot of items in Grim Dawn it had stronger upscaled versions. So you could later get Mythical Soiled Trousers. So what I'm saying is they need to add those pants to Last Epoch.

Edit: But, jokes aside, I do think Last Epoch really needs to add more uniques and such. They're some of the best parts of playing ARPGs and while the crafting and itemization system as it stands is quite cool with the purple rarity and such, there's just something about an item that's specifically pre-designed to fulfill a specific role that'll always be extremely appealing. And like, Grim Dawn has around 20 sorta-unique one handed swords (it has a kinda different rarity system) and around a dozen actual legendary extremely unique one-handed swords. These also each have higher rarity versions keeping them useful long term, so its more like double that number. Last Epoch has... 6. 8 if you include two set swords. It really makes the dopamine rush of a fancy sound effect and light beam go down when you realize it's just gonna be another Humming Bee!

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 16, 2023

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dallan Invictus posted:

I suspect that granting cross-class active skills isn't likely to be a thing while the hotbar is as cramped as it is, but cross-class TRIGGERED skills is something LE's unique roster could perhaps use more of (I think it has a few though?)

Thing is that an extra skill that you can't spec into/your class doesn't support with passives is only likely to be any use in weird edge cases. OTOH finding those edge cases can be fun!

Some/most of the triggered ones don’t work if you aren’t the class that gets the ability normally which is kind of annoying.

I was trying to look around for build-enabling proc items and Reign of Winter was really the only one I found. It looked like there used to be more but just about everything was given a cooldown that prevents you from stacking 100,000 ward or spitting out 20 AOEs a second while channeling warpath. If anyone knows of others that haven’t been nerfed that would be appreciated.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zereth posted:

Oh yeah it's super cramped right now. Apparently being unable to bind things to left mouse is a bug, though. Right now if I want to pick up another minion skill or something on my necromancer I'd need to give up the ability to directly attack entirely.

... maybe I should anyway :thunk:

As someone forever chasing the high that was Thug/Dark Mastermind in CoX, I’ve considered no direct attack skills and just telling my minions what to attack but having something to hit while regenning mana between salvos of exploding skeletons is nice. Blood Rip specced correctly gives a lot of mana back to shorted the downtime until I get better gear to help with that.

E: Also leveling a mage a bit, I know Glacier is the go-to spec right now but Volcanic Orb/Disintegrate is a very satisfying combo to throw out and have everything die to.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The first few Arena runs I did with my flame wraith build, I had to rebind one of my keys to an attack skill to break the loot barrels between sets of waves. Then I looked it up and found out that “A” is the default keybind for having pets attack a specific target and was able to just do that from then on.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bussamove posted:

As someone forever chasing the high that was Thug/Dark Mastermind in CoX, I’ve considered no direct attack skills and just telling my minions what to attack but having something to hit while regenning mana between salvos of exploding skeletons is nice. Blood Rip specced correctly gives a lot of mana back to shorted the downtime until I get better gear to help with that.

E: Also leveling a mage a bit, I know Glacier is the go-to spec right now but Volcanic Orb/Disintegrate is a very satisfying combo to throw out and have everything die to.
There's probably a more optimized loadout I could be using but I'm rolling with skeletons, bone golem, skeleton mages, bone curse, and rip blood at the moment. Maybe ditching rip blood for assemble abomination. It's been working pretty well so far, though.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Tried to spec over to fireball from lightningball at 65 and got my poo poo absolutely rocked in the first echo I hopped in to. Uhhh, whoops? I guess since my gear is terrible I didn't realize how much the skill levels were carrying. Also mana management just seems terrible and I really hate Focus. I assume this is something that I'll need to gear out of but it's a real bummer. Not being able to cast your spells is really not fun.

How aggressively should I be Shattering loot I find. Like, is a T1 %health belt worth smashing? I guess I have like 150k gold so I should just be buying up Runes of Shattering and sharding poo poo aggressively? Also, is there any reason to NOT use a Glyph of Hope when crafting?

Oh poo poo just found Ashen Crown. Wanted to play the nova build so this rules.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Zereth posted:

There's probably a more optimized loadout I could be using but I'm rolling with skeletons, bone golem, skeleton mages, bone curse, and rip blood at the moment. Maybe ditching rip blood for assemble abomination. It's been working pretty well so far, though.

You may want to give Wraith a shot. There’s a node that limits you to 2 but makes them permanent if you’re going for a passive play style and their dps is top notch. You can also get items, idols, and other skill nodes that convert them to poison or fire casters but even the basic melee version is really strong. They also have really high leech so you can hit them with Dread Shade and buff your whole army quite a bit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MerrMan posted:

Tried to spec over to fireball from lightningball at 65 and got my poo poo absolutely rocked in the first echo I hopped in to. Uhhh, whoops? I guess since my gear is terrible I didn't realize how much the skill levels were carrying. Also mana management just seems terrible and I really hate Focus. I assume this is something that I'll need to gear out of but it's a real bummer. Not being able to cast your spells is really not fun.

How aggressively should I be Shattering loot I find. Like, is a T1 %health belt worth smashing? I guess I have like 150k gold so I should just be buying up Runes of Shattering and sharding poo poo aggressively? Also, is there any reason to NOT use a Glyph of Hope when crafting?

Oh poo poo just found Ashen Crown. Wanted to play the nova build so this rules.

I always buy Runes of Shattering every time I see them in an NPC's inventory.
And pretty much always use a Glyph of Hope unless I want to use one of the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Suprfli6 posted:

You may want to give Wraith a shot. There’s a node that limits you to 2 but makes them permanent if you’re going for a passive play style and their dps is top notch. You can also get items, idols, and other skill nodes that convert them to poison or fire casters but even the basic melee version is really strong. They also have really high leech so you can hit them with Dread Shade and buff your whole army quite a bit.
I am trying to build more fire-y around my newly-Pyre golem :supaburn:

Maybe evne ditch Bone Curse, which seems to be mostly useful for generating vanguards and the "anything under I think 12% just dies" effect which applies to bosses, AND rip blood to get abomination and wraiths...