Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Praying that this thread does not immediately import dipshit moron drama from SAD

It had better loving not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

some plague rats posted:

For some reason I mentally jumbled your opening and read this as "I've been walking at night because I hate my wife." which seemed like an extremely dark opener

I mean technically I'm making her walk with me so there's an argument that I do.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

sorry i didnt mean anything by it!! its just you know, this IS going to be funny some day, you have to admit

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
A little while back, folks posted the first Turdiak IZ thread but left out its immediate sequel

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968297

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
The Dirty Cowboy video popped back up in my head yesterday. I forgot its origin story aside that it was a mod challenge gone right, and also that no one knew what the original song was.

Well I checked and it turns out the original video's producers have actually shared California Big Hunks's soundtrack and it's pretty c-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_IQA9Zbow

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 16, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lotus Aura posted:

A little while back, folks posted the first Turdiak IZ thread but left out its immediate sequel

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968297

Even more than "turdiak", this is what I think of when I remember his self-immolation:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you have no idea how gratifying it is to see a community that isn't inexplicably resigned to his presence react to Lurdiak :laffo:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m sure I could find it given enough time but one of my favorite videos ever from this website - there were actually a few - was from a “Video ideas” thread lowtax posted and goons made several. One that had a lot of good entries was “A man opens a Christmas present and is appalled to find his own head in the box, but is then later delighted to find a new iPod in the box as well.”

The one in question had the funniest “aaaaaaaaaaahhhh” to “ooooooo” transition and was otherwise wordless.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m sure I could find it given enough time but one of my favorite videos ever from this website - there were actually a few - was from a “Video ideas” thread lowtax posted and goons made several. One that had a lot of good entries was “A man opens a Christmas present and is appalled to find his own head in the box, but is then later delighted to find a new iPod in the box as well.”

The one in question had the funniest “aaaaaaaaaaahhhh” to “ooooooo” transition and was otherwise wordless.

This was by the Marble Hornets creators!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G922zL__8Nw

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Fragrag posted:

The Dirty Cowboy video popped back up in my head yesterday. I forgot its origin story aside that it was a mod challenge gone right, and also that no one knew what the original song was.

Well I checked and it turns out the original video's producers have actually shared California Big Hunks's soundtrack and it's pretty c-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_IQA9Zbow

Oh my God i haven't thought about this video since high school. I thought it was the funniest poo poo ever back then. Ah, memories

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lmao this wasn’t the one I was thinking of but is still good. I haven’t had any luck finding the thread of them yet, there were so many good ones.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

some plague rats posted:

It had better loving not

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

There's a whole series of these! Well, at least two more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlmKwitb0hI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mKDj5JbEaA

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

The Saddest Rhino posted:

😬 sorry that's not really a legend... also uhhhhh i'm not gonna confirm/deny that (although i seriously do not think anybody is ever mad they cannot probate co-mods can you imagine how the lepers colony would look) and i dunno why main painframe just dropped that nugget on everyone. i'm gonna ask to please hold on debating what the mods are doing in the mod forums thanks

how many video game derails does the mod forum get?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zetsubou-san posted:

Not many, but there's a violent food derail going on right now about whether you're supposed to put ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise on a hot dog

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Danaru posted:

mayonnaise on a hot dog

buncha fuckin freaks in there jesus christ

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Zetsubou-san posted:

they should have more games derails in the mod forum, its an instant way to chill goons out and promote friendship and harmony

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I found the article:
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/something-awful-youtube/

I am still trying desperately to hunt down the one I found and liked but either I don't have it saved in youtube or its lost to time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Danaru posted:

Not many, but there's a violent food derail going on right now about whether you're supposed to put ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise on a hot dog

lol this encapsulates mod culture perfectly

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Danaru posted:

why must nobility always be so degenerate?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Danaru posted:

if there was like literally one piece of feedback from SAD that was pretty unanimous, and didn’t even seem to be contested by the modmins, it was that this kind of “using the mod forum as a hangout spot” was a terrible idea that separates community from the staff and builds an us vs them mentality, so glad it’s been totally disregarded immediately

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
don't eat dogs, hot or otherwise

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

buffalo all day posted:

if there was like literally one piece of feedback from SAD that was pretty unanimous, and didn’t even seem to be contested by the modmins, it was that this kind of “using the mod forum as a hangout spot” was a terrible idea that separates community from the staff and builds an us vs them mentality, so glad it’s been totally disregarded immediately

It's a single chat thread you weenie, if you're expecting mods to never talk to each other about anything but forum business you're dumb as poo poo

NoiseAnnoys posted:

why must nobility always be so degenerate?

Don't look at me, I voted for sriracha

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Danaru posted:

It's a single chat thread you weenie, if you're expecting mods to never talk to each other about anything but forum business you're dumb as poo poo

expecting you to engage with users and not have private gently caress sessions with your mod pals except when absolutely necessary for privacy reasons is actually pretty reasonable and less than what some other people were calling for but keep polishing that blue star, you’re definitely special

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Danaru posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Relations between the mods and users have never been better so it probably doesn't need any examination at all

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whoa whoa whoa, the mods have a singles chat thread in their forum? what kinda culture is jeff promoting here

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

arguing about condiments with my mod buddies, far from the watchful eyes of the common users. we’re laughing, holding hands, dancing in a circle, frolicking gaily. later we eat s’mores under a dark sky, feeling the warmth of fire crackling against our toes. we’re safe, snuggled up against each other as we fall asleep under a bright moon. papa Jeff snoring in his big tent. this is why we wear the stars.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Talking about what the mods complain about aren't legends! It is where I bully some of them to watch seminal j horror Kairo though. Ok pls stop :thanks:

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

can i post about forum saga video games here like for example the saga of omori.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Here's one that stuck with me - once upon a time someone (likely banned user Leovinus) bought themselves an alt named "Mr. Boone" and decided to pretend to be an alien, making a thread in GBS titled "I am an alien, and I would like to talk to you about it."

The bit was pretty thorough; detailed descriptions of an atheist techno-libertarian alien society, weird alien biology & cooking, [square bracketed] terms that were just toooo alien to translate, and the thread got a fair amount of engagement.

Particular highlights included Mr Boone casually mentioning that space Hitler won on his planet and that it was a good thing, and loads of goons begging for Mr. Boone to take them back to alien utopia with him.

The thread didn't get goldmined, and I don't have archives so I can't find it, but I did find:
A waybackmachine for a dedicated website someone made for it
A medium.com article on it
An independently published book titled 'Aliens are Already Among Us' referencing the medium.com article

I'm sure someone with archives could go find some fun quotes from it if they like.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Here's one that stuck with me - once upon a time someone (likely banned user Leovinus) bought themselves an alt named "Mr. Boone" and decided to pretend to be an alien, making a thread in GBS titled "I am an alien, and I would like to talk to you about it."

The bit was pretty thorough; detailed descriptions of an atheist techno-libertarian alien society, weird alien biology & cooking, [square bracketed] terms that were just toooo alien to translate, and the thread got a fair amount of engagement.

Particular highlights included Mr Boone casually mentioning that space Hitler won on his planet and that it was a good thing, and loads of goons begging for Mr. Boone to take them back to alien utopia with him.

The thread didn't get goldmined, and I don't have archives so I can't find it, but I did find:
A waybackmachine for a dedicated website someone made for it
A medium.com article on it
An independently published book titled 'Aliens are Already Among Us' referencing the medium.com article

I'm sure someone with archives could go find some fun quotes from it if they like.

The original thread is here. The first post starts off like this (sorry, it’s too long for me to copy / reformat on mobile):

quote:

Hello. As I stated in the title of this thread, I am an alien. More specifically, I am from a planet two arms away from this arm of the galaxy. I am unsure how to describe it's position in your own astronomical terms, but in the majority of the images and renderings of our galaxy that I have seen on Earth, we are two arms clockwise of yours.

I have been exploring your planet, Earth, for one and a half years, having landed in the United Kingdom in 2007. (This is due to unavoidable miscalculation on the part of my people - the latest data we could get as to where your population is most advanced is several hundred years old. I had expected Britain to still be the dominant state - congratulations on the swift development and independence of America.) The first man I encountered was a man dressed as what I think was a town crier, who gave his name as Boone when asked. I should note that for the duration of my stay, I am remaining disguised as a human for reasons I will explain later. Boone and I had a rather confusing dialogue (both of us were rather bewildered at each other's manner of speaking. I was still somewhat unfamiliar with English conversation, and he switched dialects mid-dialogue, as it were). It was later a source of much amusement to me when I discovered that he had been some sort of salesman for insurance. Nevertheless, I adopted his name as I assumed it was an acceptable name for a human, and after studying forms of address for a short period, I came to introduce myself as Mr. Boone.

I am here on a [recreational] and exploratory visit, as is one of my personal [hobbies]. (I use square parenthesis to denote where I have used a word or phrase that is not entirely accurate, but the closest approximation in English). I am sure that some humans would be disappointed that I was not here to make an official 'first contact', but that is the situation. My species is not generally accustomed to introducing new races to the [network of communicating planets] of this galaxy. I am, by choice, not intending to introduce new technology or medicine to your race. I am not prohibited from doing so, nor am I prohibited from making official contact, but I, and most other people of my society, would not do so, for reasons which you may or may not like, understand, or want to hear. For now I will offer the explanation that it would be [wrong] to alter your planet's future by giving you technology you have not discovered. This explanation carries a note of truth, but the real reasons are more complex and I may discuss them at a later date.

Then he very briefly “returned” a couple years later, but the thread didn’t go anywhere.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
remember that guy that posted completely seriously in the Ancient History thread about how Sparta was the epitome of human civilization and how we've fallen since then, we need an aristocracy and of course I would be a noble unlike you plebes etc. it's some wild rear end posting:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&userid=183787#post406735667

also produced this emote: :agesilaus:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've always appreciated how Imp Zone told off the forced-niceness weirdos in that terrible traveling BYOB thread. It's like an auditorium full of kids getting to tell the weird creepy motivation speaker to gently caress off and leave them alone.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918699&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=219

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ugh they're skeevy

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Fritz the Horse posted:

remember that guy that posted completely seriously in the Ancient History thread about how Sparta was the epitome of human civilization and how we've fallen since then, we need an aristocracy and of course I would be a noble unlike you plebes etc. it's some wild rear end posting:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&userid=183787#post406735667

Sleepy Beef posted:

This is the worst post I've ever read on these forums that didn't involve fantasizing about sexual intercourse with cartoon characters. Honestly, that's quite an accomplishment.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

I don't think I should be thanking you for reminding me of sleepy beef's gross banme pic

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Grassy Knowles posted:

I don't think I should be thanking you for reminding me of sleepy beef's gross banme pic

lol i sought this out and regret it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fritz the Horse posted:

This dude came back a decade later in the same thread under a new name and got recognized immediately.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

i shouldn't have been surprised by the t slur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grassy Knowles posted:

i shouldn't have been surprised by the t slur

Thebes is a bad word, it's true.