Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m not a businessman, I’m a business, man

The clients we’re going there for take care of us and are very generous. This is primarily a trip to ensure some future business.

Despite these folks having money they love thinking they’re getting a deal or savings. I’ll make the miles back on this SA trip I’m going on tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Also curious how do you claim it as a business expense for tax purposes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

i fly airplanes posted:

Also curious how do you claim it as a business expense for tax purposes?

im guessing based on what the OP posted that they would not but if they do i'm curious

some of yall never worked in client services

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
That's fair. I used my points earlier this year to get a room in SF during JPM Healthcare. Cash prices were insane (over 1k/night for a standard Hyatt) but great availability on points. Also seems to indicate that other people weren't willing to use points for a work conference, haha

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

im guessing based on what the OP posted that they would not but if they do i'm curious

some of yall never worked in client services

exactly, i’m not worried about this needing to be written off.

my not needing to spend real cash that i can use to buy cool poo poo like appetizers is a far better benefit. and like i said when the clients know im working over there and they aren’t getting “nickled and dimed” for these slightly nebulous trips, it makes future work that much easier.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 16, 2023

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mandalay posted:

That's fair. I used my points earlier this year to get a room in SF during JPM Healthcare. Cash prices were insane (over 1k/night for a standard Hyatt) but great availability on points. Also seems to indicate that other people weren't willing to use points for a work conference, haha

In your position are you self employed/incorporated or looking to network/move on from your job? Otherwise, why take it on the nose for a presumably major corporation you don’t have equity in?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
How would you expense a flight you booked with miles because you didn't want to take a bus to Newark and sleep in an airport overnight? Or for other reasons that don't involve being 1099 or the owner of the business?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wouldn’t? If I book anything with miles or points it’s because it’s my choice and I can equate not expensing them this thing vs future business with them and others.

If it’s because the client is forcing me to do anything remotely close to your example they wouldn’t be a client anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SpeedFreek posted:

How would you expense a flight you booked with miles because you didn't want to take a bus to Newark and sleep in an airport overnight? Or for other reasons that don't involve being 1099 or the owner of the business?

Lol who is asking you to do this

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I had the opportunity to get home that day, not get reimbursed, or take a bus to new Jersey and still not get a weekend. I wasn't about to spend part of my birthday sleeping in DFW.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Again why are you sleeping in random airports

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No problem with your choice, more of a problem with an employer that would put you in that situation.

Edit: the problem here is not how to write this off, my friend

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
For some reasons getting into DFW at midnight and a connecting flight at 5am is considered a layover. I could have probably expensed that flight and said lick my balls and been fine but didn't feel like fighting that battle at that time. I probably should have.

However if anyone knows someone looking for an engineer/field guy I'd be interested.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SpeedFreek posted:

For some reasons getting into DFW at midnight and a connecting flight at 5am is considered a layover. I could have probably expensed that flight and said lick my balls and been fine but didn't feel like fighting that battle at that time. I probably should have.

However if anyone knows someone looking for an engineer/field guy I'd be interested.

I think the max connection time on AA [when international isn't involved] is 4 hours.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
At a minimum I would've been expensing a night at one of the two Hyatt properties at DFW. At no point am I sleeping in an airport for a work trip, or really any other reason.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

At a minimum I would've been expensing a night at one of the two Hyatt properties at DFW. At no point am I sleeping in an airport for a work trip, or really any other reason.

:same:

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

I think the max connection time on AA [when international isn't involved] is 4 hours.

I had no idea they would try and cap the connection time so low. I have a Delta flight coming up in June with an intentional 15 hour overnight layover booked without issue.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I had no idea they would try and cap the connection time so low. I have a Delta flight coming up in June with an intentional 15 hour overnight layover booked without issue.

apples and oranges with an international connection

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

*intentional not international. I’m flying LA to Columbus via Detroit and the only way to get in early enough without a red eye has a 15 hour layover.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

*intentional not international. I’m flying LA to Columbus via Detroit and the only way to get in early enough without a red eye has a 15 hour layover.

The Westin at DTW is nice, at least.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

When I worked for a company previously, the answer for that itinerary was simply “no”.

Accepting A bus to an overnight red eye connection wasn’t ever acceptable even as a coordinator at an extremely cheap company.

And the grand Hyatt at dfw rocks. Their suite is one of the most absurd chain hotel suites I’ve been upgraded to.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 16, 2023

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

The Westin at DTW is nice, at least.

Yea I booked a runway view room with my 4 year old who will think it’s the coolest thing in the world.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beef Of Ages posted:

I've slept in an airport for a work trip exactly once, and it was at DFW. This was 7-ish years ago? They got an inch of snow and everyone went into a panic and shut down (like literally the locals brains shut down like reptiles that got too cold). I couldn't even get a taxi/uber to get anywhere with an available room. It was all quite silly.

They did bring out cots and blankets so it wasn't completely terrible.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

movax posted:

are you still in France?
Lol. Made it stateside but got stranded in Dulles. They put me on the first United flight out and for the first time in seven years I got to experience the 80’s neon rainbow moving walkway at ORD.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

dude dallas has a ton of overpasses due to the sprawl and need for highways everywhere and only sand to deal with ice. I don’t blame anyone for not taking you anywhere. poo poo situation

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've never seen an overnight layover when searching Delta, United and American seem to consider that acceptable. Might be a setting I checked when setting up my sky miles account way back.

I had the same situation this week, ABE to MKE. Delta was $50 over what's considered acceptable so with hotel, dinner, and baggage fees it ended up costing a little more flying American but the important part was the flight itself cost less.

Would be nice if there was some decent rail service from PIT or PHL to central PA.

Edit: I'm at ORD right now, where's the walkway?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

SpeedFreek posted:

I've never seen an overnight layover when searching Delta, United and American seem to consider that acceptable. Might be a setting I checked when setting up my sky miles account way back.

I’ve gotten delta.com to show them before but in this particular instance I found the route via ITA Matrix then had to get a delta agent to book directly.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

taco show posted:

Lol. Made it stateside but got stranded in Dulles. They put me on the first United flight out and for the first time in seven years I got to experience the 80’s neon rainbow moving walkway at ORD.

The Psychedelic Tunnel is one of the few redeeming features about ORD.

SpeedFreek posted:

It's the connector between B and C concourses in Terminal 1 (United).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

dude dallas has a ton of overpasses due to the sprawl and need for highways everywhere and only sand to deal with ice. I don’t blame anyone for not taking you anywhere. poo poo situation

Yeah, when DFW gets an inch of snow it also comes with three inches of ice and it is an unmitigated disaster. poo poo situation all around.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

I had the same situation this week, ABE to MKE. Delta was $50 over what's considered acceptable so with hotel, dinner, and baggage fees it ended up costing a little more flying American but the important part was the flight itself cost less.

Would be nice if there was some decent rail service from PIT or PHL to central PA.

What are you doing at ABE? It’s my hometown airport.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
It was ABE or MDT, I was working at about the half way point between the two. Have a lot of work in PA in general lately, most of the customers are electrical utilities.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SpeedFreek posted:

What kind of work do you do? My company has like 3k open reqs right now

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Barry posted:

What kind of work do you do? My company has like 3k open reqs right now

I’m not who you responded to — I haven’t traveled for a little while, used to do it weekly, in IT consulting world. I would be willing to get back into it on a less routine basis for the right role. The problem is, I’m happy with my current place right now haha so I’m thinking it would have to be a non-lateral jump. Got anything in the IT umbrella? We can take it to PMs if you’d like for further chatting / advice.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

*laughs in Canada*

SpeedFreek posted:

This is when you submit for your company to expense it anyways and explain the situation. And if they push back, then you have an idea of what company you work for.

If a company feels putting workers on the spot and making them sleep in an airport instead of shell for a hotel is a better corporate travel policy to enforce than looking at how batshit insane that is, then yeah, escalate the situation or find somewhere else to work.

SpeedFreek posted:

Yeah, sounds like it's a case of a company just putting out and enforcing a travel policy that doesn't make sense.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

Yeah, when DFW gets an inch of snow it also comes with three inches of ice and it is an unmitigated disaster. poo poo situation all around.

dog piling on this :regd08:

north dallas (this "neighborhood" is the area of most cities) owns two "snow plows" (which aren't even dedicated, just a bolt on thing) which are used to clear a handful of overpasses (less than 10) servicing local major hospitals, which is shared with two suburbs on the norther border. they have two or three sand piles to service the entire city. there is zero infrastructure to clear/maintain icy roads in texas because it's cheaper to just shut everything down for 24-48 hours and let it melt off.

tangentally related it rarely gets below 40 there so people just run summer tires or at best all season tires 12/12 months, if you asked a native what winter tires are they would legitimately struggle to try and explain what they are and why they exist. studded tires don't exist in texas.

north dallas (DFW) in particular just gets ice, there is no snow it's just freezing rain and a quarter inch of black ice on the road. even if they wanted to salt the roads absolutely nobody has salt for that because it only happens every 2-3 years it's not worth the investment

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

dog piling on this :regd08:

north dallas (this "neighborhood" is the area of most cities) owns two "snow plows" (which aren't even dedicated, just a bolt on thing) which are used to clear a handful of overpasses (less than 10) servicing local major hospitals, which is shared with two suburbs on the norther border. they have two or three sand piles to service the entire city. there is zero infrastructure to clear/maintain icy roads in texas because it's cheaper to just shut everything down for 24-48 hours and let it melt off.

tangentally related it rarely gets below 40 there so people just run summer tires or at best all season tires 12/12 months, if you asked a native what winter tires are they would legitimately struggle to try and explain what they are and why they exist. studded tires don't exist in texas.

north dallas (DFW) in particular just gets ice, there is no snow it's just freezing rain and a quarter inch of black ice on the road. even if they wanted to salt the roads absolutely nobody has salt for that because it only happens every 2-3 years it's not worth the investment

To be fair not all of this is irrational, and it sounds like you’re saying the same thing. In Chicago very few people have or know what snow tires are. All seasons are the norm. I think we got a few inches of snow this year, it’s been on the lighter side for many years.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Inner Light posted:

To be fair not all of this is irrational, and it sounds like you’re saying the same thing. In Chicago very few people have or know what snow tires are. All seasons are the norm. I think we got a few inches of snow this year, it’s been on the lighter side for many years.

One of the first things I did upon moving to Milwaukee is get snow tires. Worth every penny, especially when we make trips up to the UP.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

north dallas (this "neighborhood" is the area of most cities) owns two "snow plows" (which aren't even dedicated, just a bolt on thing)

How do you think snow plows work? Trucks in other places just roll around in the summer with plow blades on the front?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How do you think snow plows work? Trucks in other places just roll around in the summer with plow blades on the front?

To be fair -- here in Chicago, I may know what he means. Most people are used to only seeing our very heavy duty city-owned dump trucks with huge plow blades in the winter with the plow attached. The City of Chicago does use our trucks for other purposes in the warmer months and will obviously unmount the plow. I imagine not all our trucks are used in the warmer times. We have a sizable fleet, with large amounts of salt and perhaps brine used, sprayed liberally on every major street during deep freezes. The streets and vehicles will be heavily white tinged for weeks / months routinely, if you've never lived in a place like that it may be a fun fact tho I know you're up NE.

Here's a youtube video from the city a number of years ago if you're bored, I liked it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dffyKrihL9k

So yea a lot of those trucks might be parked or roll a bit with them in the summer if I'm not mistaken, but I know that's not what you really meant :).

They fill these things up to the absolute brim with sand, and during times of civil unrest, protest, or VIP protection Chicago will park them horizontally and end to end across streets and alleyways in the area. Started doing this more often a few years ago. They're pretty intimidating and nothing normal will get past em haha.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

In your position are you self employed/incorporated or looking to network/move on from your job? Otherwise, why take it on the nose for a presumably major corporation you don’t have equity in?

Yes, I run a small business that I have a position in.