Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Beached Whale posted:

Does this supersede states that have laws requiring employers pay out PTO? I know in places like CA it's literally the law they have to pay out accrued PTO (hence why SV startups all gravitated so quickly towards "unlimited" PTO)

unlimited pto isn't only just a scam so they don't have to pay you anything extra upon leaving, but they also absolutely use it to eliminate people who actually take advantage of it, even for non-vacation reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

this is extremely grim and will be felt by workers almost immediately jesus

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this just basically makes it fine to no longer need to make up poo poo like unlimited pto they can just do it out in the open

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

could it be that labor is so anemic in the USA that you can have high price inflation, ~0 unemployment, and no wage inflation ?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How are they going to print their way out of this mess without lowering interest rates?

Very carefully.

Actually, not all that carefully.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

this is extremely grim and will be felt by workers almost immediately jesus

At a previous workplace of mine I can see a whole bunch of women start missing "performance metrics" and losing their PTO because they don't acquiesce to the weird sexual harassment culture there

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol

"sorry team, our entire business unit didn't meet EBIT for the fiscal year so we're cutting PTO in half for all employees below senior manager level" might actually get a VP murdered

probably not tho

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mr Hootington posted:

You know it will. States rights begins and ends at exploiting and oppressing the populace.

There's caselaw saying that the FLSA does not preempt state employment laws offering more generous protections, but given the current makeup of the federal judiciary, especially in more conservative districts and in the Supreme Court, who knows?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

We're never getting a 32 hour work week in this country lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

a.lo posted:

never were lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

a.lo posted:

when was this ever even remotely considered

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

when was this ever even remotely considered

it's called 'dreaming'

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Eric Cantonese posted:

There's caselaw saying that the FLSA does not preempt state employment laws offering more generous protections, but given the current makeup of the federal judiciary, especially in more conservative districts and in the Supreme Court, who knows?

I know the outcome.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
me to my boss next year: i have 6 direct reports you gotta be smoking crack if you think i'm going to tell them they're losing pto next year thats your job toots

Apr 7, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol

"sorry team, our entire business unit didn't meet EBIT for the fiscal year so we're cutting PTO in half for all employees below senior manager level" might actually get a VP murdered

probably not tho

The American worker is the most perfectly docile herd animal to ever exist so no

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

a.lo posted:

Only because the workers here in America is utterly totally cowed cucks who would prefer to beg and whine their betters to be generous in the crumbs they drop for us instead of rightfully taking what's our.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's called 'dreaming'

Weird way to spell 'delusion', OP.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ok so when we force everyone back to work make sure they no longer have benefits. That will show them

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

you know the answer op

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Weird way to spell 'delusion', OP.

No! It isn't!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok so when we force everyone back to work make sure they no longer have benefits. That will show them

Simply imprison everyone and use the 13th Amendment carveout for imprisoned slave labor. Bing bong, so simple!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

me to my boss next year: i have 6 direct reports you gotta be smoking crack if you think i'm going to tell them they're losing pto next year thats your job toots

PTO Cancellation Reason: Failed to meet crack smoking quota.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"when was it a remote possibility that you were actually gonna win the lottery?"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm glad Eric Cantonese has found their rhythm as our mlmp08

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

a.lo posted:

Did you honestly believe that's what they meant by "4-day work week"

Danru
May 23, 2022

Lol that this will have a knock on effect of radicalizing portions of the PMC, not that it matters since it appears we are accelerating into fascist economic oblivion

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Horseshoe theory posted:

Simply imprison everyone and use the 13th Amendment carveout for imprisoned slave labor. Bing bong, so simple!

You can't imprison everyone silly billy!

Someone has to be the upright free citizens to guard all those prisoners

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Nothus posted:

Did you honestly believe that's what they meant by "4-day work week"

theres prob a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a 32 hour work week in this hell-hole

Apr 7, 2003

Industry newsletter I can't directly link to wrt to the coming Medicaid apocalypse:

quote:

Most states (43 of 49 reporting states) plan to take 12 to 14 months to complete the unwinding process and return to routine operations. Taking more time to initiate and complete the unwinding process can help avoid overwhelming staff resources and prevent inappropriate terminations but could maintain enrollment for potentially ineligible people for longer, according to the KFF analysis.

The KFF survey of state Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) officials finds that many states are using an array of strategies to promote continuity of coverage, while other states have adopted policies that may make it harder for people who are still eligible to retain coverage. Staffing shortages and systems limitations could also affect whether eligible enrollees are able to remain enrolled, according to KFF.

KFF has estimated that enrollment in Medicaid and CHIP will have grown by 23.3 million enrollees, to nearly 95 million, by the end of March when the continuous enrollment provision expires. Millions of beneficiaries are expected to be disenrolled over the next year, including some who are no longer eligible for Medicaid and others who still qualify but lose coverage due to administrative paperwork problems.

In the new survey, the one-third of states that were able to report projected coverage losses estimate that about 18% of Medicaid enrollees will be disenrolled after the continuous enrollment provision ends.

A> ~28% of Americans, period, were on Medicaid in 2022
B> The states are going to deliberately throw 18% of them off in the coming year

cool

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
The solution to no one wanting to work anymore is to make the conditions for working worse. Bing bong

Apr 7, 2003

95 million Americans are on a medical assistance program meant for the destitute.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I looked up the decision mentioned in that Reuters article.

https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/213286p.pdf

This opinion hurts to read. The 3rd Circuit says the plaintiffs did not explicitly argue their Pennsylvania state law claims "squarely" enough, so they're considering those state law claims dropped.

Real scummy stuff, but also some potentially unfortunate lawyer choices in the past in this case were at play too. Bleah.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I took sick leave today cheers

Serf
May 5, 2011

Beached Whale posted:

The solution to no one wanting to work anymore is to make the conditions for working worse. Bing bong

wage labor is just slavery with extra steps. they'll just eliminate a few of those steps

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

95 million Americans are on a medical assistance program meant for the destitute.

"Bootstraps yourselves, bitches." :amerikkka:.txt

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
stocks go up stocks go up you can’t explain that

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

heard about this yesterday, relieved to hear it sounds like the proposal has failed

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1634598053498822656

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

heard about this yesterday, relieved to hear it sounds like the proposal has failed

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1634598053498822656

like, gently caress you lmao. what are you talking about?! for what? what am I supposed to be living for?!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/France24_en/status/1636368509625319424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
we don't even have an articulated vision of what we want as a society, as a species. What the gently caress are we doing here?!