Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1675200/announcements/detail/3716071853478720784

New Steam client update for the deck, officially brings out PC to Deck game transfers. I tried this on the beta and it worked great, but the beta broke Decky for me, so I had to roll back. This is nice for those of us with lovely bandwidth caps who don't want to download the same game twice.

As long as the game is installed on a PC on the same network as your Deck, it'll ask how you want to download the game, and you can just grab it from there.

Edit: I remembered wrong, I just downloads the game off of your PC if it sees it there first. Just tried it with a 7gb game I wasn't sure worked or not, so I hadn't bothered to download it yet.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Subjunctive posted:

“Trails in the Sky” would like a word

Ah, forgot about that one.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I also ordered one of these on Saturday (arriving tomorrow supposedly). For a long time I thought "why would anyone ever care much about portable PC games, isn't that basically just a smart phone," but I've been playing Octopath 2 and suddenly realized that it would actually be extremely nice to play games like it or Trails from Azure from my Steam library on a nice portable device while laying in bed (or at any other time). No idea what I was thinking before, since the idea is kind of obviously cool and convenient.

This! I've only had a Macbook for work for years now, and while it can do some gaming, the only recent big thing it runs competently is Disco Elysium. I'm pretty excited to get to experience the best stuff from the last ten years while lying comfortably in bed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Big Jesus posted:

I almost exclusively stream to my deck cause
1) graphics
2) 3x battery life
3) the fan doesn’t even turn on

This is definitely one reason I got one; I've tried streaming using a tablet and controller while people are using the TV, but it's completely unwieldy, so having a dedicated unit is a game changer.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Been playing around with the Deck and man, what a lovely piece of hardware this is. I had a bit of a scare with the haptic trackpad bug, because RMA is not an option for me, but some googling helped out. The only thing I'm dissapointed on is the wifi card - of all of my devices this one seems to struggle with my wifi's signal the most, even at ranges where my laptop and my Switch get decent coverage. Not sure if there's any settings that I could use to improve that, would it perform better if I had my 2.4 and 5ghz wifi on separate SSIDs?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ignis posted:

Been playing around with the Deck and man, what a lovely piece of hardware this is. I had a bit of a scare with the haptic trackpad bug, because RMA is not an option for me, but some googling helped out. The only thing I'm dissapointed on is the wifi card - of all of my devices this one seems to struggle with my wifi's signal the most, even at ranges where my laptop and my Switch get decent coverage. Not sure if there's any settings that I could use to improve that, would it perform better if I had my 2.4 and 5ghz wifi on separate SSIDs?

Make sure your wifi has "fast switching" off

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

My wishlist is packed and I'm super stoked for the sale today, I feel like the Deck makes me enjoy a lot of games I would have bounced off of on my desktop. Nova Drift is a great example - I thought it was fine but didn't hold my attention when sitting at a desk, but falling asleep stoned in bed it's pretty much the best thing ever and I play it tons.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

PantsBandit posted:

Getting stoned and playing Brotato for an hour is a great way to regret the way you spend your time.

How do you stop at an hour?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Sloppy posted:

My wishlist is packed and I'm super stoked for the sale today, I feel like the Deck makes me enjoy a lot of games I would have bounced off of on my desktop. Nova Drift is a great example - I thought it was fine but didn't hold my attention when sitting at a desk, but falling asleep stoned in bed it's pretty much the best thing ever and I play it tons.

The balance of "long-play, normal games" and "things that have 20 minute game loops" that I play has tilted 100% in the opposite direction with the Deck. I play the gently caress out of Olli Olli World but I'd be amazed if it was ever for more than 10-30 minutes at a time. I'd never touch this on desktop. I keep installing 50gb poo poo, and then playing stuff like Vampire Survivors, art of rally, and OOW 90% of the time.

PS this isn't that, but since the sale's coming up I will endlessly suggest Snowrunner for Deck players, buy it, it's inexplicably great fun and you don't have to like trucks

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 16, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's something about desktop gaming that feels like more of a commitment than handheld, I guess because you can literally put the physical device aside afterwards. In any case, I'm definitely finding it easier to pick up things I wasn't bothered enough to before, because it's so easy to disconnect when I'm done.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sloppy posted:

I am totally in the same boat.

Dear Debit Card: I apologize in advance

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am totally in the same boat.

Dear Debit Credit Card: I apologize in advance

FTFY

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
In order to share audio from Steam Deck through your earbuds do you pair the buds with the Deck and pair it to your phone as a speaker or the other way around

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I play my Deck on the train mostly on a slow train internet connection. Sometimes I turn it on and the thing decides it's going to download a huge (for this connection anyway) 250 mb update first. I've already set my regular commute hours to verboten for game downloads. But the firmware is a completely unavoidable big download that takes exactly my entire commute and they're somehow always on my commute day, thursday, so turning it on wednesday evening everything is hunky dory but right now is update time. Can I disable this somehow? This kind of ruins the whole "play anywhere, anytime" feature that a handheld is supposed to provise.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

put it in offline mode wednesday evening?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Hey, 10% off the Deck itself on this sale! And they have a "Top 100 Games Played on the Deck" list which I suspect is a fuckin great list of "hey what games are good on the deck?"

That goon asking for "deck games" earlier...there you go.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Hey, 10% off the Deck itself on this sale! And they have a "Top 100 Games Played on the Deck" list which I suspect is a fuckin great list of "hey what games are good on the deck?"

Looks like the steam sale has officially started

edit: and it looks way better than the last couple sales

Mescal fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 16, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Ori 2 for $6

Choo Choo Charles for $12, my kid is gonna be excited about that

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Oh no, I will be buying some games.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:negative: Why didn't I hold off on the Deck for just a couple of weeks.

Ah well, it was worth the price anyway, and I got a decent price on an SSD upgrade.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

put it in offline mode wednesday evening?

I'd rather play online because of fuckery with achievements and cloud saves some games have... and this way I have to decide before I know if thursday is update time, I can't say "wait, go offline" once it's updating because all the menus are now blocked.

But now I know what my options are, thanks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

No sales on the dock though

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Picked up Nier: Replicant. Looking forward to confronting some existential dread through the lens of anime melodrama.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Hey, 10% off the Deck itself on this sale!

Oh my loving god i literally bought the thing yesterday

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

barbecue at the folks posted:

Valve will probably give you the difference back if you ask for it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Papercut posted:

Ori 2 for $6

Consummate Professional posted:

Oh no, I will be buying some games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

barbecue at the folks posted:

If it weren't for you we wouldn't get this discount now. I thank you for your sacrifice.

As in, I did it: I finally bought the thing and thank you for the tiny discount, Gaben, it was the final straw. Last year, when it was pre-order-based, I had to cancel it when my time came up. I have been sad since. Not anymore. I deserve to play my library in bed :colbert:

And what ya know, Jet Lancer is finally 60% off and it's Deck verified. Good, good.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 16, 2023

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I sent them an email since the thing hasn't even left their warehouse yet and it would just be a chore to cancel the order, wait for the refund and then order it again. I hope they understand that I will still be spending every last penny of the difference in the sale :retrogames:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Papercut posted:

Ori 2 for $6

Saoshyant posted:

And what ya know, Jet Lancer is finally 60% off and it's Deck verified. Good, good.

You people will be the death of me

EDIT: Ace Combat 7 is under ten bucks, runs flawlessly on Deck, love it

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 16, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valve themselves made a birthday video for the deck, with a special message from gaben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELtzcpb_j38

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No sales on the dock though

Dang

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fallen order for $4 seems like a great deal. That game was fun.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh drat, the new game transfer stuff is slick. I just updated my deck and I was looking for the options for it, couldn't find it so I just thought 'whatever' and started updating my games, the ones installed on my PC just automatically transferred from my PC over WiFi, with a blue banner showing what it was doing.

Going to have to try that with a whole game soon, or even going the other way, from Deck to PC!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Should I go for Forza Horizon 4 or 5 if I want to play on the Deck? I’d like to get 40-60fps without it looking like total rear end so 4 might be the way to go, but maybe 5 scales well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cross posting from the Deals thread:

Commander Keene posted:

If I'm looking to play Final Fantasy 8 in the near future, is the remaster worth the 5 more bucks that it's on sale for now over the basic version, or are there mods that do basically the same stuff?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Commander Keene posted:

Cross posting from the Deals thread:

The remaster is worth the 5 bucks. It looks just so much better and, importantly, it has a bunch of cheats you can turn on/off and you can disable encounters which is a huge QOL upgrade.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Like a lot of the older FF games, the remaster has a game speed multiplier which is fantastic when grinding or drawing a bunch of magic off everything to break the game early.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah the game speed multipliers are huge. It's why my current run of FF12 (with mods) is such a positive experience. Without the speed-up feature I'd be really bored/upset.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Of course I bring up fallout NV right before it goes on sale for 2 bucks. Heck yeah I’ll bite.

Also copped noted incredibly good game, Hades, on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is Jet Lancer funner than Ace Combat 7?

I know they're different, but which is better for the deck