Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Glah posted:

How did Estonia get in?

What do you think is the religious history of Estonia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Glah posted:

How did Estonia get in?

Historically it was a Christian country, that's good enough for the caliper-wielders.

Edit: drat it of course the only post on the next page would beat me to it.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Could Turkey use this technicality into getting in or is their Roman legacy too far removed?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They write the city down as Constantinople instead of Istanbul through gritted teeth when filing paperwork.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Haramstufe Rot posted:

The dividing line is whether or not the country is Christian enough

Bosnia-Herzegovina and Albania, famously nations considered Asian.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Just argue convincingly that you're actually white and not some backwater savages, and the doors fly wide open. That's how Finns got in at least.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Just argue convincingly that you're actually white and not some backwater savages, and the doors fly wide open. That's how Finns got in at least.

Convincingly, i.e. citing Himmler, H.?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Rappaport posted:

Convincingly, i.e. citing Himmler, H.?

Well, uh, I guess being "honorary aryans" had its benefits, but I meant being declassified as a mongoloid race in general.

Point being you win points by being hip and cool. Did Turkey ever win Eurovision? Maybe try doing that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Well, uh, I guess being "honorary aryans" had its benefits, but I meant being declassified as a mongoloid race in general.

Point being you win points by being hip and cool. Did Turkey ever win Eurovision? Maybe try doing that.
Europe has no taste though. They made a freakin manboat, and still didn't win.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I'm sure you know what "mongoloid" means, but all the same.

And you are also aware that Vesku couldn't do that twice, come on son!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/czech-transport-minister-meet-counterparts-over-euro-7-standard-2023-03-13/

It looks like the "let's roll coal and gently caress whoever wishes to not require a respirator when walking outside" front is getting sizable enough.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Clearly, the weak and mollycoddled european lung has had it too easy for too long.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/czech-transport-minister-meet-counterparts-over-euro-7-standard-2023-03-13/

It looks like the "let's roll coal and gently caress whoever wishes to not require a respirator when walking outside" front is getting sizable enough.

Skoda is a sizable part of Czech economy..

Not to say that's the only reason but still.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 13, 2023

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Did Turkey ever win Eurovision?

They did, in 2003.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

They did, in 2003.

In 2012 they won in spirit.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

That is correct, I can forget literally everything about Eurovision but the Turkish manboat will forever be etched in my memory.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Hey, you can't say Eurovision without remembering all those great dutch songs like...eh....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

An insane mind posted:

Hey, you can't say Eurovision without remembering all those great dutch songs like...eh....

They won in 2019 and then covid happened. Makes u think.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Okay, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw6wI-60lDo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

But what?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fair. I meant the Lordi success at the Eurovision, which was not foreseen at the time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I remember the old meme about Finnish people at different temperatures and that the temperature colder than "Hell freezes over" is "Finland win Eurovision" before finally "Absolute zero: Finnish people say 'perkele, I'd better put on a shirt'"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

We... Did, but. I think you have to look up "hard rock hallelujah"

As an educational experience!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Finland should send Hevisaurus next, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXhhlYdySqQ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rappaport posted:

We... Did, but. I think you have to look up "hard rock hallelujah"

As an educational experience!

Buddy I can play the song, that's why I said "old meme" - the meme was made prior to 2005.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sorry for misreading you, then :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Critical Materials Act is a go. https://euobserver.com/green-economy/156838

The short version is that EU's domestic rare metal mining will need to supply at least 10% of the total used for a number of specific materials. No single country will be allowed to monopolize any single material (to more than 2/3 of the total supply, which feels like a Congo cobalt carveout), and the plan for refining is to do at least 40% domestically, up from like 3% right now. This primarily targets China, as a lesson learned from Russia, I guess.

Kind of related to this is also a draft of the Net Zero Industry Act that FT reported on yesterday. In a repeat of the above, it “downgrades” public procurement bids and governmental consumer subsidies programmes using products from a country with more than 2/3 EU market share. Products, in this case, being stuff like solar panel components.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Critical Materials Act is a go. https://euobserver.com/green-economy/156838

The short version is that EU's domestic rare metal mining will need to supply at least 10% of the total used for a number of specific materials. No single country will be allowed to monopolize any single material (to more than 2/3 of the total supply, which feels like a Congo cobalt carveout), and the plan for refining is to do at least 40% domestically, up from like 3% right now. This primarily targets China, as a lesson learned from Russia, I guess.

Kind of related to this is also a draft of the Net Zero Industry Act that FT reported on yesterday. In a repeat of the above, it “downgrades” public procurement bids and governmental consumer subsidies programmes using products from a country with more than 2/3 EU market share. Products, in this case, being stuff like solar panel components.

huh, one of the reasons that China dominates rare earths processing is because of how environmentally ruinous it is. The stuff is nearly always associated with radioactive and other toxic substances and separation is an absolute pain.

The Somali fishing community staring down the barrel of having to take one for the team again via accepting offshore dumping of EU toxic waste.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Germany is huge, can't we find a place there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

huh, one of the reasons that China dominates rare earths processing is because of how environmentally ruinous it is. The stuff is nearly always associated with radioactive and other toxic substances and separation is an absolute pain.

The Somali fishing community staring down the barrel of having to take one for the team again via accepting offshore dumping of EU toxic waste.

yeah my first thought is that they'll be chewing up the alps now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
France will just airdrop it somewhere over the UEMOA and call it overseas development aid.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
a lot of passanger rail got forcibly dismantled with eu influence, I know of two cases in portugal ie. It has always struck me as german auto influence on the eu, they learned from gm/ford I guess. the truckloads of money for freeways and none for improving rail is also obvious.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Germany has reasonably good passenger rail though?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Private Speech posted:

Germany has reasonably good passenger rail though?

Yes, but getting new countries with rising incomes to buy cars was probably good for german auto

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
What EU program is forcing member states to dismantle passenger rail?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Owling Howl posted:

What EU program is forcing member states to dismantle passenger rail?

years back the eu did encourage states to get rid of "unperforming" rail lines. and around the time the greek debt mess was going on the IMF/eu demanded greece get rid of unprofitable lines

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This seems like a random conspiracy theory that you're now making up out of the austerity crap?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This seems like a random conspiracy theory that you're now making up out of the austerity crap?

speaking of random conspiracy theories, i saw something about latvia requiring laguage skills among its russian minority. is that a thing?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i say swears online posted:

speaking of random conspiracy theories, i saw something about latvia requiring laguage skills among its russian minority. is that a thing?

That sounds like a highly creative retelling of the recent migration law changes that I did post about earlier this week in the EE thread, which apply to citizens of the Russian Federation. I hope it's that, at least, and not like some idiot being surprised that we have mandatory primary education or some such.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i know that the bar for calling things conspiracy theories has dropped precipitously over the past years, but this is going a bit far. at worst, what celexi is doing is making a poorly substantiated claim about the structures at work within the EU an eye towards the german export economy, which we know has been important in setting EU policy to the detriment of countries in the periphery (adults in the room makes this point quite clearly, for example).

as far as EU rail policy is concerned, this has actually been a matter of Some Debate in my country so i happen to know a little bit about it. the EU has four railway packages. in sum, they demand that rolling stock and rails be separated (so DB was in violation for a long while and may still be), the marketisation of the award of railway contracts (https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/IDAN/2016/579088/EPRS_IDA(2016)579088_EN.pdf - "(...)discrimination against new rail companies, the domination or monopoly of incumbent companies [generally state owned - V.I.L.] in many Member States(...)" is noted as the particular problem which this is meant to address), and much more. it is not a huge stretch to consider this a conscious assault on passenger rail, because it clearly limits the ability of states to promote passenger rail.

to be clear, i don't myself subscribe to this notion - i think that the impulse towards marketisation simply ends up in a place where passenger rail becomes uncompetitive because of the principle of profit extraction, which is a more foundational principle of the EU than the particular interests of any specific country and that this adequately explains why the EU has this kind of rail policy.