Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bismack Billabongo posted:

My dad would play soul calibur ii with me and spam maxi, like a fucker.

My dad used to play racing games with me and if I was ever winning he'd yank the cord out of the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

my dad used to come back from working offshore with boxes full of copied amiga games and we'd play split screen Jaguar XJ220 and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 hell yeah

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

A lot of that comes down to management and project planning at game companies is dogshit and standard ractices everywhere actively impede any kind of improvement. Yeah, it's a creative process and you can't schedule things down all the way, but every game development story is "Oh we just put the cart before the horse and when that didn't work we threw away the horse and cart and built another cart to put before another horse."

and worse, they're saddling up to go to market but the cart is empty even though they're selling! it's gonna be a bad day, in other words. and sometimes you gotta reinvent the wheel before you vulcanize your rubber, or you're up the creek on horseback.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

tango alpha delta posted:

lol. Hey, let me help you out; because video games run on computer hardware, technical brilliance is generally a pretty good indicator of how much skill was required to create a good game.

e: Naughty Dog is an excellent example of this, famously pushing the PS3's performance way past what anyone thought possible with the Uncharted Series and an obscure tiny little game you've probably never heard of called The Last Of Us.

I had a cutting edge gaming PC when I got sick and tired of games and took a break and decided to get back in to it. Most new games according to the videos I watch look just barely better than what was out 5 years ago and from the look of it have the same gameplay I got bored of and lovely dialogue I got tired of.

I'm not even considering upgrading because holy hell I'd rather play a beautifully made platformer like Ori than some oorah bullshit simulator. Art direction and gameplay are whats important now, nobody talks about shaders and poly counts anymore because it just doesnt matter.

Although I am kinda bummed that hifi rush runs like poo poo on my PC. Wonder if they'll port it to switch.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It’s my opinion, which I will now back with more opinion. In an ideal world the game designer would also have the technical skill to write the game engine or at the very least, tweak an existing engine to fit the game design. In the ancient times, the game designer and the programmer were the same person. I think we need to go back in time and try writing games like that again.

I was watching videos from that Masahiro Sakurai game dev YouTube channel and it was eye opening in some ways. Of course he has the benefits of the working with companies with resources like Nintendo, but his team management videos in particular were interesting because he has come up with whole systems to avoid having to go to the programmers as much as possible. Like with Smash Bros he tweaks all the damage and movement speed values from an Excel spreadsheet that plugs into the game so he never has to ask anyone to change things for him.

He's actually admitted he doesn't really know much about programming in the programming videos on the channel. Most of the videos in that playlist revolve around stuff like naming files and assets so people who aren't programmers or intimately acquainted with the design know what's happening. I remember one rule he has in particular is he won't allow romanised version of Japanese words purely because he doesn't want to confused localisation teams.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 16, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

It’s my opinion, which I will now back with more opinion. In an ideal world the game designer would also have the technical skill to write the game engine or at the very least, tweak an existing engine to fit the game design. In the ancient times, the game designer and the programmer were the same person. I think we need to go back in time and try writing games like that again.

i assure you, this is no silver bullet!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is TOMBA worth checking out?

My only experience is playing it at a friend's house that owned it yet had absolutely no patience for it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Tomba is a cool game but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't call it a must-play, it's just another somewhat-innovative character platformer. If you ever played Klonoa, it's basically that except you don't play as a furry

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Klonoa and Abe's Oddysee are also on my list.

Feels like a weird platformin' weekend!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Klonoa is fantastic. It's a really solid platformer with colourful visuals and a great soundtrack.

Tomba is... cool and interesting at the very least. It's like a side scrolling platformer with RPG mechanics. It has a lot of neat ideas but it's very annoying to play. The second one is marginally better so if you do decide to check it out, I'd go for 2.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

SilvergunSuperman posted:

My dad randomly got hooked on a light gun master system game called

He managed to beat it pretty quickly, then it turned to a high score challenge. Every enemy you kill has an angel that starts to rise to heaven you can also shoot and kill for extra points. It's pretty funny to think about actually. He eventually got so good he could glitch the game out from scoring too high.

this owns

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I really enjoyed the "idiosyncratic dads in gaming" segment.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vic posted:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vic posted:

I used to play Sensible Soccer on the Atari ST. (My dad never let me have a console, legit because he was an OG PC-Master-Racer who thought consoles were just dumb worse PCs).

He didn't play many games with me, but for some reason that one, we'd play together. Neither of us like football (which is a real shame because he's always had MASSIVE access to free tickets for big games, he put together the stuff they showed on the big screens at the matches at World Cup Tokyo, etc etc) but for whatever reason Sensible Soccer was the game we'd play.

Sometimes I'd put it in two player mode, even though I was playing solo, so that I could win, because I was 5 or whatever. My dad would spot that I'd done it and come up and join in.

Only one time, (I guess I must have been a little bit older) I did this, and named the opposing team "Crap". He came over to join in, and shouted at me for the team name, and then we played on, in awkward silence. I was utterly mortified, especially because I was always worried he thought I'd named 'him' that, preemptively. In retrospect, he very definitely did not care. My mum was always super weird about bad language, and I'm fairly sure he'd have thought that it was his responsibility to tell me off for bad language in solidarity with her, and just overegged the pudding a bit.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

!Klams posted:

I used to play Sensible Soccer on the Atari ST. (My dad never let me have a console, legit because he was an OG PC-Master-Racer who thought consoles were just dumb worse PCs).

He didn't play many games with me, but for some reason that one, we'd play together. Neither of us like football (which is a real shame because he's always had MASSIVE access to free tickets for big games, he put together the stuff they showed on the big screens at the matches at World Cup Tokyo, etc etc) but for whatever reason Sensible Soccer was the game we'd play.

Sometimes I'd put it in two player mode, even though I was playing solo, so that I could win, because I was 5 or whatever. My dad would spot that I'd done it and come up and join in.

Only one time, (I guess I must have been a little bit older) I did this, and named the opposing team "Crap". He came over to join in, and shouted at me for the team name, and then we played on, in awkward silence. I was utterly mortified, especially because I was always worried he thought I'd named 'him' that, preemptively. In retrospect, he very definitely did not care. My mum was always super weird about bad language, and I'm fairly sure he'd have thought that it was his responsibility to tell me off for bad language in solidarity with her, and just overegged the pudding a bit.

lol dad got burned hard & couldn't take it

Mine was a sore loser and would ragequit whenever I'd beat him in games as a kid. And he used to do that thing with the controller, when jumping in-game, mimicking the jump with the controller trying to jump higher. Old man was playing nintendo switch 30 years before it came out.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
my dad didn't really play games that much but he got absurdly, obsessively into a grognard Japanese railroad/business strategy game called A-Train

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My dad also really liked Myst and Riven. He doesn't play games anymore but I sometimes wonder if he'd enjoy Disco Elysium

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You definitely don't need to like football to like Sensible Soccer. Most people of a certain age range still consider it the best SPÅRT BÅLL computer video game of all time.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vic posted:

he used to do that thing with the controller, when jumping in-game, mimicking the jump with the controller trying to jump higher. Old man was playing nintendo switch 30 years before it came out.

yeah! i remember. people instinctively want to use gyroscope controls. they want to longjump and drift mario with the NES controller. They want to tilt the gameboy so the tetris block has stronger gravity going that way.

it's better if we can make 'natural input' into regular input it's just a funny technological place with lots of corpses

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mescal posted:

yeah! i remember. people instinctively want to use gyroscope controls. they want to longjump and drift mario with the NES controller. They want to tilt the gameboy so the tetris block has stronger gravity going that way.

Punching your sibling while playing a fighting game was the one case where this actually worked

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
My dad played Soul Calibur 2 with me. He always picked Raphael. Our matches mostly consisted of him using the multi stab combo to own me while I raged because I didn’t understand how fighting games work.

He also spammed the “how boring!!” voice clip

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

My dad liked to play Diablo except he would pick up everything piece of trash loot and bring it back to town to sell

this feels like a very "Dad" thing to do

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

[Walk's into the lair of The Butcher]
"Clean up your room, mister".

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

speaking of sensible soccer, why has no one properly ripped off cannon fodder yet? seems like the perfect idea for an indie dev or something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my dad got super into Mafia 1, on the ps2. the one with the horrid tank controls.

he 100%ed it

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

My dad never played any games but then got really into Warcraft 2 and Starcraft and would just play the single player for hours. Never played the multiplayer. Warcraft 3 came out and he thought it sucked and it broke his addiction. He was right IMO.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My dad can get the rocket ship in tetris. Asides from that, he's only ever played Dynowarz back when we first got a Nintendo Entertainment System.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

My dad was apparently into Doom when I was younger, but the only video games I’ve ever seen him play were original Super Mario Bros and Super Monkey Ball years later when I told him it had no buttons. He wasn’t terrible at it!

My mom got into Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour with me and found Diddy Kong to be very cute :)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

This seems surprisingly common. A good buddy of mine's father was not into games in general, but could 100% Solomon's Key in his sleep. Some people just latch on to a single game and that's it, I guess.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Surprised we don't have any Everquest or Ultima Online dad stories in this thread. My dad never got into that poo poo but I remember a few of my friends' dads did, and they were super obsessive about it because MMOs were a weird new thing and there was that news story about someone buying a house in UO for like $145,000 in real money.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don''t think my mom can see video games.

It's probably like what I see when there's sports or news or pawn stars on and it just looks like static.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My mom bought me Kingdom Hearts because it's Disney. Watched me play it for like 5 minutes before never thinking about it again, God I wish I was as smart as her...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My sister and I managed to convince both of our parents once to play us 2 on 2 in Goldeneye.

They never wanted to play games with us again. I think we probably went a little too far.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Flashbacks to playing turok with people and annihilating them with the cerebral bore

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Absolutely sending my siblings and cousins into apoplectic fits by getting the nuke in BattleTanx Global Assault

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Flashbacks to the one time a friend of mine printed out all the moves for Mortal Kombat II and made me let him do all the fatalities on me, and the one time I fought back he got so upset he picked up his Super Nintendo, yanked it out from the wall and carried it outside and tossed it into the wheelie bin. I still genuinely have no idea why that prompted him to decide to momentarily throw his Super Nintendo away, but he retrieved it after I left and we're still friends 30 years later so I guess it was just really important to him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

My sister and I managed to convince both of our parents once to play us 2 on 2 in Goldeneye.

They never wanted to play games with us again. I think we probably went a little too far.

Well yeah that's a bad game

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

kntfkr posted:

I don''t think my mom can see video games.

It's probably like what I see when there's sports or news or pawn stars on and it just looks like static.

Uncanny accurate.

My mom was against videogames because it's brain poison. Kept watching xfiles on tv. Now there are little coal pyramids behind her tv absorbing em smog.

I don't loving know!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
More like kingdom butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Redezga posted:

Flashbacks to the one time a friend of mine printed out all the moves for Mortal Kombat II and made me let him do all the fatalities on me, and the one time I fought back he got so upset he picked up his Super Nintendo, yanked it out from the wall and carried it outside and tossed it into the wheelie bin. I still genuinely have no idea why that prompted him to decide to momentarily throw his Super Nintendo away, but he retrieved it after I left and we're still friends 30 years later so I guess it was just really important to him.

Oooh this brought back a funny memory.

I was watching my little brother play some wrestling game for the N64 with our cousin. Said cousin had a habit of turning off consoles if he was losing. Well as usual he starts losing, but instead of turning off the console he unplugs my brothers controller and smacks him with the cable. My brother who has never been in a real fight in his life before or after this, threw his controller in our cousins face so hard it shattered.

They were really little when this happened, it was so funny lol