Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh yeah V took out the methods of getting party members early, and no more promotional codes for gear. There's a buncha changes overall.

GloomMouse posted:

I'm ready to get wiped by mindflayers again
This, however, has not changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Are there any other big changes in V I should know about? I know Weekend a bit, though I never finished even the original game - lost the save on a dead computer.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just tons of quality of life, mostly with regards to skills and improved rates for everything. There's more endgame in the expansion added as well as a couple dungeons (one before the end of the main game, one after).
Around the final main game dungeon (I think right before the final boss but could be earlier), you can talk to Akyuu to get her as a new party member. She starts off pathetic but quickly becomes unreasonably good as she learns skills and increases stats based on the Enemy Compendium completion/kills.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

this game and the original sound kinda cool but they only make me want to go play Rocket Slime again, a game in which launching yourself out of a cannon is not only always the right choice but should be done repeatedly in every battle

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
God, I want a new Rocket Slime so bad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how do people feel about Dungeon Encounters? i've had it on my wishlist for years at this point and never pulled the trigger. i think the aesthetic is super cool but i'm not sure i'm in the "can enjoy an rpg on a purely mechanical level" state of mind these days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

how do people feel about Dungeon Encounters? i've had it on my wishlist for years at this point and never pulled the trigger. i think the aesthetic is super cool but i'm not sure i'm in the "can enjoy an rpg on a purely mechanical level" state of mind these days.

If you are not dont even bother. It is 100% about enjoying the concept of an RPG pared down to its absolute limit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, I thought it was really meant as a small love letter to people who enjoyed the original dungeon crawlers like Bards Tale. It's an extremely simplistic game where the reward is feeling good in efficient trash clearing, collecting things, solving difficult riddles (all optional), and using your standard dungeon traversal powers in clever ways (also optional).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dungeon encouters was tedious as hell, you can lose your party to a surprise random high-level monster and getting back to where you were is a grindy grind

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Jay Rust posted:

Dungeon encouters was tedious as hell, you can lose your party to a surprise random high-level monster and getting back to where you were is a grindy grind

It's well-known that out-of-depth enemies roamed the dungeon in large numbers.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jay Rust posted:

You can rescue a dead party in minutes if you get clever!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jay Rust posted:

Sure sounds like Bard's Tale and Wizardry to me. :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

high level encounters aren't random or surprises, they're all clearly labeled and you've got a list of every battle configuration in the game 1 button press away

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

lets hang out posted:

high level encounters aren't random or surprises, they're all clearly labeled and you've got a list of every battle configuration in the game 1 button press away

Reading is cheating

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lets hang out posted:

What, no you don’t, I remember the “battle log” shows monsters you haven’t encountered yet as “???”, and who knows if that ??? means “will kill you and you can’t escape” or not. But besides, are you looking up every single battle number before every fight?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Any opinions on Harvestella?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Jay Rust posted:

What, no you don’t, I remember the “battle log” shows monsters you haven’t encountered yet as “???”, and who knows if that ??? means “will kill you and you can’t escape” or not. But besides, are you looking up every single battle number before every fight?
If you collect the monster notes, every version of those monsters shows up even if they’re in a level 40 encounter or whatever.

But also, It’s pretty easy to extrapolate that when every encounter is going from up linearly from 00 to EE or whatever that once you encounter a group of enemies that are Level 40 or whatever that has the ID of AA on a monster group that way out of sequence monster encounters are probably bad news and you need to find a way around them.

Anyways, Dungeon Encounters is cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

poe meater posted:

low budget, but ambitious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

poe meater posted:

It's not a farming sim, it's mostly limited action rpg

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

here is everything you need to know about dungeon encounters

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

OneDeadman posted:

But also, It’s pretty easy to extrapolate that when every encounter is going from up linearly from 00 to EE or whatever that once you encounter a group of enemies that are Level 40 or whatever that has the ID of AA on a monster group that way out of sequence monster encounters are probably bad news and you need to find a way around them.

Just like I said!

nrook posted:

It's well-known that out-of-depth enemies roamed the dungeon in large numbers.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

poe meater posted:

I enjoyed it tremendously. The gameplay itself is really thin and rote - you're going to be hitting the same few abilities over and over and occasionally healing - but it feels cool, in a way that I'd honestly compare to Chrono Trigger. Well. Maybe not as well-paced as CT, which is a perfectly paced game.

I liked the story a lot - I think... it's kind of a satire of the iisekai genre, at least a little bit, and then it unravels out from that to do a big optimistic RPG swing for the fences in favor of the Indomitable Human Spirit? I'd say it's in dialog with 13 Sentinels, Nier, and FFXIV thematically, though maybe not quite as stylish as all those.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think what you need to know about Dungeon Encounters is that there are enemies which steal gold, and they can steal you into the negatives leaving you with a crippling amount of debt somehow

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

If you collect the monster notes, every version of those monsters shows up even if they’re in a level 40 encounter or whatever.

Anyways, Dungeon Encounters is cool.

Not gonna lie, I wiped to that same sort of setup and grabbed my party easily enough, but it feels slightly disingenuous to not see how someone would see the encounter on the map but not register the actual number as being level 45 versions of the enemies you’ve been beating up already. I only ever started paying attention to the specific numbers after the wipe, and I doubt I’m alone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think what you need to know about Dungeon Encounters is that there are enemies which steal gold, and they can steal you into the negatives leaving you with a crippling amount of debt somehow

That's dumb and inauthentic, it should do an integer wraparound and also be virtually necessary for a character's ultimate weapon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this owns

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's okay for a video game to be insanely mean in a really unusual way, as long as it's funny

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Dungeon Encounters is I think my favorite RPG I played in the last five years, and is definitely the most creative. Anyone interested in RPG mechanics, or anyone who likes really minimal and spare games, should play it. I wouldn’t recommend it to most people, though.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the bandit steals your credit card and blows it all on v-bucks, this isn't hard to understand

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i think it's okay for a video game to be insanely mean in a really unusual way, as long as it's funny

not only is it funny, but you can do some really funny poo poo yourself. That’s what makes it special.

Will definitely second that its not for everyone though

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This game owns so hard.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Might actually be one of the funniest bugs in gaming
Or if it’s intentional, one of the biggest gently caress yous in gaming

At the end of the day though, if it happened to me, idk if I’d see the funny side. Probably I’d quit

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

fwiw you get a ton of equipment just from winning fights (and you can target specific encounters to get the poo poo you want) and there are no potions or other items to buy, so having negative money stolen right out of your pockets doesn't actually cause that many problems. it's a slightly mean practical joke but it doesn't even remotely softlock you

and once you learn which encounter has that particular enemy, you'll never make the mistake of fighting them again! you know. until you get stronger. and then you can hunt the fucker down and get revenge :unsmigghh:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I really enjoyed Harvestella and think it's a real shame Square over priced it. At a more reasonable price it could have been a break out success. If it's on sale I definitely recommend it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Harvestella is on a 30% special in the steam sale atm so there's that

Gran Blue Fantasy yearly anniversary is coming to a finish so that means it's time for another banger music track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN3X5gh6oEo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish square would do bigger discounts but a lot of their games on sale now have reached their maximum sale price they've been for years so I'm probably going to have to decide if I really want to pay the premium or never play that game on steam

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I wish square would do bigger discounts but a lot of their games on sale now have reached their maximum sale price they've been for years so I'm probably going to have to decide if I really want to pay the premium or never play that game on steam

Honestly, most companies do smaller discounts on Steam sales then the old days. If you're waiting for games to go past 50%, you're either hoping a game flops hard on release or are willing to wait 5+ years for the MSRP to go down instead, because outside of that the odds are pretty low- on my entire 100+ item wishlist, only three items are past 50% discount on the current sale- two pretty big flops in Humankind & Research and Destroy, as well as Solasta.

Most of Square's catalog is 50%~ percent off, and that's about as high as I see on Steam Sales from anyone not trying to firesale something like EA Star Wars games anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
anime makes every rpg better especially western ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Willo567 posted:

anime makes every rpg better especially western ones

Counterpoint: Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls