Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Veotax posted:

Oh drat, the new game transfer stuff is slick. I just updated my deck and I was looking for the options for it, couldn't find it so I just thought 'whatever' and started updating my games, the ones installed on my PC just automatically transferred from my PC over WiFi, with a blue banner showing what it was doing.

Going to have to try that with a whole game soon, or even going the other way, from Deck to PC!

Note that this is probably slower than just downloading from Valve directly, and intended for people with bandwidth caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

Note that this is probably slower than just downloading from Valve directly, and intended for people with bandwidth caps.

What kind of terrible home networking solution are you using that a remote download is faster than a local transfer

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

What kind of terrible home networking solution are you using that a remote download is faster than a local transfer

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If your network is fast enough, fetching a game from the CDN's RAM will outperform reading it from the consumer SSD in your Windows desktop.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

If you're paying for internet that outperforms your local SSD, you probably could afford a NVME drive too

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ok so the FF8 remaster is the one that has the "cheats" like the FF7 Steam/Switch ports? Then yeah, it does sound worth the extra cost.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ignis posted:

If you're paying for internet that outperforms your local SSD, you probably could afford a NVME drive too

I get a gig and like 4 ping from Google with a TB of cloud storage for 70 a month.

I’m lucky to be in a big ol city.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Should I go for Forza Horizon 4 or 5 if I want to play on the Deck? I’d like to get 40-60fps without it looking like total rear end so 4 might be the way to go, but maybe 5 scales well.

They both perform well and are basically the same game. I think 4 still has a good multiplayer scene if that’s important to you. Just pick the one whose setting you like better.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Commander Keene posted:

Ok so the FF8 remaster is the one that has the "cheats" like the FF7 Steam/Switch ports? Then yeah, it does sound worth the extra cost.

It does, and I believe someone is working on an AI upscaled background and FMV pack though I'm not sure what it's called.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I want to play the Half-life’s. I assume pick up the Orange Box, but which version of 1. Source?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

hadji murad posted:

I want to play the Half-life’s. I assume pick up the Orange Box, but which version of 1. Source?

Black Mesa?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Absolutely not Half-Life Source, it's a poo poo port of the game to the Source Engine. It was just something Valve made to show modders how easy it was to just port HL1 mods to HL2, it's not something made with much care, and it's broken more over time.

Just play regular HL1 if you're looking to play the game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

hadji murad posted:

Black Mesa. :hmmyes:

Don't look elsewhere.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Super important question: I'm thinking about installing phantom pain on the deck as a good travel "jump in and play in short bursts"game (I last beat it on PC maybe 10 years ago); however, chain custom helicopter music is critical to my enjoyment. Can you do this similar to on PC since the deck is just a computer? Or does it get trickier here?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Works the same way

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

hadji murad posted:

If you don't already have it get the Valve Complete Pack during the sale.

And yes, just play the original Half-Life. It doesn't have gamepad support directly but the Keyboard (WASD) + Mouse controller template was basically designed for that game.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
If you buy cyberpunk 2077 and final fantasy 7 remake the cost is 69.88 and I'm mad about those 19 cents.

Do those play well on the deck? I'm assuming the battery will die in about 2 hrs like elden ring.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If anyone's playing Black Mesa, definitely check out Protondb. The lighting is all fucky until you change a few things, then it's fine.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

If you buy cyberpunk 2077 and final fantasy 7 remake the cost is 69.88 and I'm mad about those 19 cents.

Do those play well on the deck? I'm assuming the battery will die in about 2 hrs like elden ring.

I've played a bunch of both on the deck. FF7r runs great, Cyberpunk can hit 30fps but can struggle when its raining at night. Still good for just messing around in the city for a while

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oscar Wild posted:

CP2077 runs pretty well all things considered. They even have a Steam Deck graphics preset in-game and which the benefit of steam shader precache, it can do 30-40fps on most situations. expect constant dips here and there but the fact it runs well at all is pretty neat.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Thanks! The deck is amazing. I'm about to platinum elden ring on it. In bed.

I got similar stutter with monster hunter world. Look, if I'm playing those games on a handheld I should expect that.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 17, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

As always you can probably fix that with some tinkering-- especially if it's a popular game.

e: Seems there are a lot of fixes associated with making sure you're using a more recent version of Proton or something. Maybe try the experimental proton version?

jokes fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 17, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey thread! Was just thinking about picking one if these up, and couldn’t help but notice that there’s a sale and also that the website says the different models have higher reading speeds. Is that like, a significant difference or so negligible that it’s a technicality?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Steam Deck arrived. It is very cool, with the exception of one minor issue - it feels awkward pressing the top L/R buttons, and I have pretty long fingers. I was messing around with Yakuza 0 (which ran perfectly; everything I've tried has so far), and my hands started to get tired pretty quickly from needing to use the shoulder buttons.

Is it recommended to use the back buttons instead for this?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Highly recommend Akane as a deck game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Last Celebration posted:

Was just thinking about picking one if these up, and couldn’t help but notice that there’s a sale and also that the website says the different models have higher reading speeds. Is that like, a significant difference or so negligible that it’s a technicality?
Yes the NVMe SSDs of the more expensive models does have faster reads, but that's not nearly as relevant as just having more internal storage space.

The general recommendation if you purchase the cheapest model is to replace the eMMC with a 512 GB-1 TB NVMe that you can buy from Micro Center or eBay, or at least be willing to do that once your storage runs out.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Most people use the back buttons as alternatives for L3/R3, or as alternatives to the face buttons so you can keep your right thumb on the stick/trackpad for 3D games. Or you can just map them to keyboard key presses to have "more buttons" if you need that.

Like it's fine to map them to L1/R1 if you find that more comfortable, but I don't have any problems with the bumpers myself.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat Hades is good on this thing. I accidentally played 15 minutes which was actually 2 hours.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The Steam Deck arrived. It is very cool, with the exception of one minor issue - it feels awkward pressing the top L/R buttons, and I have pretty long fingers. I was messing around with Yakuza 0 (which ran perfectly; everything I've tried has so far), and my hands started to get tired pretty quickly from needing to use the shoulder buttons.

I felt the same way coming from the switch and an Xbox elite controller; eventually you get used to it though (or at least I did), and I prefer to reserve the back buttons to face buttons(or dpad) actions so I can do things (looks jump or melee in halo) without taking my thumbs off the joysticks.

Edit: oops, beaten to the punch on this.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Got the Windows Square-Enix version of FFXIV installing on the Steam Deck. Hoping it runs okay and that I don't have to actually buy the steam edition to play it. We'll see though.

Now I just need a bluetooth keyboard for this thing and I'm set.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just for those who don't know, if you buy GTAV (and I assume RDR2), your Rockstar Activation Code is under Manage -> CD keys.

Why the gently caress do we need to use a separate launcher for this game? I'm glad it's more or less streamlined on Steam, but jfc it shouldn't be anything more than "you bought the game, now you can just play it."

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I played Fallout 1 on my deck today. Surprisingly someone made a fairly usable control scheme, still gonna play it docked with m/kb.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Frozen Peach posted:

Got the Windows Square-Enix version of FFXIV installing on the Steam Deck. Hoping it runs okay and that I don't have to actually buy the steam edition to play it. We'll see though.

Now I just need a bluetooth keyboard for this thing and I'm set.

It’s better and easier if you run XIVLauncher

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Gonna RMA so I can regain vent smell otherwise totally satisfied

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

jokes posted:

It’s better and easier if you run XIVLauncher

I thought that required purchasing the steam version, is that wrong?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Frozen Peach posted:

I thought that required purchasing the steam version, is that wrong?

Nope it works for both! In fact I think it worked for the not-steam version first

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

jokes posted:

Nope it works for both! In fact I think it worked for the not-steam version first

Thanks for the tip! Now to redownload using that method

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Frozen Peach posted:

Thanks for the tip! Now to redownload using that method

I forget if you need to download the trial version via steam or something but I think there’s a guide in the launcher itself (found in the discover store). Join the SA steam deck discord for further help, I’m sure someone there can help too!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

In fact if you got a non steam account you cannot migrate to the steam account version or vice versa outside of the free trial. They're distinct platforms.

There's an FAQ on XIV launchers GitHub or Homepage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ytlaya posted:

I'm in the same lanky-fingered boat; they're honestly not the best buttons and while I can manage, I wish I could change them somehow. Maybe someone will print new buttons with little ledges on them so they're better or something. I dunno.