Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I presume Susanoo is supposed to be an idealized/mythologized Kojin + "joyous warrior-adventurer" archetype, in the same way that Titan is idealized Kobold + patriarch/protector, Ifrit is stylized Amalja'a + destroyer, and Garuda is, uh, Ixal traits + idealized racial memory of human military commander + some bad out-of-universe design ideas. He's not strictly a Kojin deity, being part of the pantheon of kami dropped in largely unchanged from real-world Shinto traditions, and presumably human worshippers would summon a human-looking version. (And presumably the Kojin could also summon Kojin Tsukuyomi if they'd had the mirror and, y'know, felt like it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is broadly correct.

I think the reason Ravana sort of falls back in the collective memory story-wise might be because he doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Again, it's just you that forgot. Even the person you're quoting remembers basically the whole of the event.

You were wrong about the Echo and the events of HW, stop trying to paint this a some super-consciousness of humanity forgetting about the events to try and justify it. You just didn't know.

This poo poo is infuriating because you say poo poo like

Cleretic posted:

But let's all acknowledge that these are headcanons to paper over an obvious retcon, none of us actually know poo poo about how this 'really' works and are all just trying to justify it to ourselves. I'd happily throw my interpretation out with counterevidence, but it doesn't exist, so.

And then people provide you the direct text of the game that directly counters your point and you try and weasel away saying "oh that's just one language script", then brings up in game events that support that which you then said don't support it because that's not why it happened only for people to remind you it is EXACTLY why it happened and so now you've pivoted to "drat I guess everyone just forgot all those plot points, huh?" and that all happened on the same goddamn page.

Just for once admit you just hosed up and shut up about it it's fine, christ.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 16, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah Ravana rules and was one of the most memorable primals, even for me who obviously forgets events from like three patches ago

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
that said

REJOICE

loving owns. the first time I did that fight was as a tank :black101:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just for once admit you just hosed up and shut up about it it's fine, christ.

I was going to, but then we started talking about Ravana and Susano and I didn't want to rewind back to the less interesting conversation. But you want to, so here we go:

Yeah, I'm sorry, I got tangled up in my own assumptions, was not checking the evidence or refreshing my knowledge (Heavensward in particular has a lot of spots I haven't had cause to review), and as a result was wrong. I do think an interesting thing came out of it that explains the frustration about Endwalker looking like a retcon to myself and others, though; the initial explanation was basically Japanese-only thanks to Midgardsormr's scene being vastly different in English, so we had a a funny little situation where English doesn't really have the establishment of the fact, it just has years of writing that assumed that we already knew. Still, I was being stubborn when I shouldn't have been, and I'm sorry.

Now, to get back to something more interesting:

Antivehicular posted:

I presume Susanoo is supposed to be an idealized/mythologized Kojin + "joyous warrior-adventurer" archetype, in the same way that Titan is idealized Kobold + patriarch/protector, Ifrit is stylized Amalja'a + destroyer, and Garuda is, uh, Ixal traits + idealized racial memory of human military commander + some bad out-of-universe design ideas. He's not strictly a Kojin deity, being part of the pantheon of kami dropped in largely unchanged from real-world Shinto traditions, and presumably human worshippers would summon a human-looking version. (And presumably the Kojin could also summon Kojin Tsukuyomi if they'd had the mirror and, y'know, felt like it.)

I don't think the mirror had any inherent Tsukuyomi Power in it. It was just--like the relics that created Susano--pretty jacked up with aether. The Tsukuyomi form itself came from Yotsuyu's mind more than anything, probably helped along by it being a mirror since that's part of Tsukuyomi's myth in FFXIV.

I feel like 'would the Kojin have summoned Tsukuyomi' kinda depends on if they really care about Tsukuyomi's myth, and I... kinda don't think they would? A god of the moon and the underworld doesn't really feel like it'd resonate with them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It is also a bit canon that Doma's fear/hatred/loathing of Yotsuyu is part of why she can do Tsukuyomi. She is in fact drawing on Doman belief there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wait wait wait, the kojin AREN'T turtles? Back up here

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The shell is a backpack. They are cosplayers

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Nessus posted:

Wait wait wait, the kojin AREN'T turtles? Back up here

Right? I'm still reeling from this tidbit

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure they are, we just don't see their heads because they wear the helmets. They're certainly responding to the "a talking turtle" bit at minimum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering one of them replaces Genbu they are Turtle Enough

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ravana vs. Susanoo who's winning that?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ravana is a cool bug and has infinitely better music so he wins my heart. 10/10, would dance the song of ringing steel again.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Susano is 10 levels higher, so Susano.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Susano, because while he can survive Ravana's mechanics (granted with some difficulty, he ain't dodging), Ravana won't be able to pass the sword clash solo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ravanna's got four arms. He has some to spare for that mechanic.

The boring answer is it depends on who provides more aether and prayer during the summoning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Susano, because while he can survive Ravana's mechanics (granted with some difficulty, he ain't dodging), Ravana won't be able to pass the sword clash solo.

I don't see why not. He has multiple swords and enough HP to tank it.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Ravana has the better song so he'd win. Then they'd go out for drinks together

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've always been more of a fan of Susano's theme, especially the way the three pieces move through the different phases of the fight.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ravana can also summon adds to tank the orbs for him during the blade lock.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

He has four swords, he can block the sword with one and dps it down with the rest.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I can solo Ravana Ex and I can't solo Susano even on normal so clearly one is tougher than the other

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Susano is cooler than Ravana so he wins

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The audience.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kitten emergency posted:

Susano is cooler than Ravana so he wins

:wrong:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like most of Ravana's glowy weapons more than Suzie's

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Susano now, Ravana when he gets Unreal, Susano again when he gets Unreal and the cycle repeats.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've always been more of a fan of Susano's theme, especially the way the three pieces move through the different phases of the fight.

Same.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Susano would win because even a defeat would be a win for him.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

whats the name of susano's big sword? ame-no uzume?
disappointed that wasnt the model the DRK weapon gets. therefore susano stinks :colbert:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zeruel posted:

whats the name of susano's big sword? ame-no uzume?
disappointed that wasnt the model the DRK weapon gets. therefore susano stinks :colbert:

I think it's named after the sword that is one of the relics used to summon him. The same sword later gets given to Zenos, who uses it as his primary weapon up until he switches to Reaper for Endwalker.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think it's named after the sword that is one of the relics used to summon him. The same sword later gets given to Zenos, who uses it as his primary weapon up until he switches to Reaper for Endwalker.

Susano's sword attack is the Ame-no-Murakumo, Zenos' sword is the Ame-no-Habakiri.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

NachtSieger posted:

Susano's sword attack is the Ame-no-Murakumo, Zenos' sword is the Ame-no-Habakiri.

They also don't look anything alike; the one in Susano's summoning cutscene doesn't even look like a katana. ...or much of anything, honestly.

The gently caress kinda sword even is that? Aside from 'unwieldy'.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nobody's allowed to see the real Ame-no-Murakumo so any sword based off it should look weird and hazy

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Cleretic posted:

They also don't look anything alike; the one in Susano's summoning cutscene doesn't even look like a katana. ...or much of anything, honestly.

The gently caress kinda sword even is that? Aside from 'unwieldy'.

oh thats even different compared to his other sword in the fight

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

GloomMouse posted:

Ravana has the better song so he'd win. Then they'd go out for drinks together
Then they team up to fight the WoL again

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1173577674805006336

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

we need more primal fusions like in Eden.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zeruel posted:

we need more primal fusions like in Eden.

I got that one in roulette today. Dang that trial goes hard. What was it like on Savage?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bruceski posted:

I got that one in roulette today. Dang that trial goes hard. What was it like on Savage?
Annoying and not especially interesting in comparison to Normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
A neat thing pointed out about the latest loporrit tribe upgrade on the official forums, as well as some other thoughts on it (spoiler-tagging even here because some of you have skipped a day or two):

The moon on the mural is largely accurate, to the point of having the Big Cheese and one of the A-rank hunt mobs! Meanwhile, the planet itself is so inaccurate they have the Tower of Babil on a small green island. Personally, I want to know who told them about the bluebirds; there's a few suspects, I just want to know who!

In terms of story, I do absolutely love the idea of Counselingway being the one that's handling the change of circumstances the worst; that's a fantastic moment of long-term low-key thinking, of course they're handling this poo poo badly! It's a good enough idea that I'm willing to look past the fact there may or may not be Garlean refugees up there, because this story really wouldn't work if we tried to write them in... but, uhm, I would like to check on those guys sometime!