Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

The whole "It's printed! How can it be a lie?" exchange in the first strip is painfully ironic in retrospect, since the Daily Worker had dedicated multiple pages to printing the full confessions from the Stalinist show trials in each of these recent issues...which were not only attended by Roosevelt's ambassador to the USSR, Joseph E. Davies, but earned his enthusiastic approval. And then in 1943 Warner Bros. turned Davies' book into Mission to Moscow, a piece of pro-Stalin wartime propaganda that at least one modern critic says "now seems an evil distortion, as if it were produced by Stalin himself", and that its favorable, approving depiction of the show trials is where "the film goes completely insane".

Grotesque exaggerations for the war effort were expected in WW2 popular entertainment, but it goes without saying that everyone involved with Mission To Moscow had to answer for the film repeatedly once the Cold War kicked in. Often under oath.

Is there something in the strips that makes this actually relevant to the thread? Smug support for McCarthyism is some poo poo.

the bus originally ran in Heavy Metal from 1979-1985, which is painfully ironic in retrospect, because heavy metal music is well-known for turning kids into disrespectful devil worshippers who would not be interested in commuting to a job on a bus instead of taking drugs.

the bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (April 28-30, 1941)

The Lighter Side of Lead Poisoning

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What unspeakably evil act did we commit, in a past life presumably, to continue to have Legend of Bill inflicted upon us?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

readingatwork posted:

Anyways, with that I'm on Vacation through the end of the month. See you then!
Have fun! After all, your name's not 'readingonvacation.'

Esplanade posted:

Okay, fine. I'll be the immature one.

It's the attention to detail I am most impressed with.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Will Henry should have run this one yesterday and the one yesterday where Wallace has lost his shoes today.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there something in the strips that makes this actually relevant to the thread? Smug support for McCarthyism is some poo poo.

I promise that's definitely not how I intended that post to come across, and it's proof I need a better editor than myself if that's how it landed. The show trial confessions are what's really griping my butt, and they are taking up at least one full, eight-column page in each Daily Worker edition at this point.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 16, 2023

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba
These two sort of make a pair so I’ll wrap up with them:

And now we’re caught up with all of Uramachi Sakaba, until a new collected print edition comes out. Fortunately, Maruoka just released a new volume of Haraiso Days so that’ll keep us busy for a while.

Cthulhu and Girl

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

That's it for the GO-GO collection of ANSU cartoons. I have 2 more books of his stuff, which are mostly similar (although the third one's drawings are very sketchy and quick). Would people be interested in me scanning more of his stuff?

Fingerpori

wikipedia posted:

The Marshall Plan (officially the European Recovery Program, ERP) was an American initiative enacted in 1948 to provide foreign aid to Western Europe. The United States transferred $13.3 billion (equivalent of $173 billion in 2023) in economic recovery programs to Western European economies after the end of World War II.
In Finland this is usually referred to as "Marshall aid".

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Thoughts reading those Uramachi Sakaba pages;
  1. I question the effectiveness of some of those masks.
  2. Kiss her you fool!

I also want to say that I'm enjoying Cthulhu and Girl, and part of me wonders what Lovecraft himself would have made of it. That is, if could wrap his head around the idea.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Been meaning to post this, but Mr. Knott first appeared in the third Bad Machinery story, The Case of the Simple Soul (along with the first appearance of Little Claire);

Also, as Mildred states, Knott has been teaching at Griswalds for a long time, as seen in the two issue comic Expecting to Fly;

which takes place in 1996 (and yes that is Ryan Beckwith as a student)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 5/7/50

Archie 10/24-26/46

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: In addition to being unable to speak, we find out the Mute is also not able to fly, or In addition to being unable to fly, we find out the Mute is also not able to sp- oh, wait. Nevermind, or ...maybe he can get a customer discount from Baumzecer, considering how many times he's seen the man?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

if more strips were basically just zippy, I'd be happier

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

“The Waterman” has never appeared in a comic but is mentioned in Steeple issue 4 (“Witchfest”, seen below). PLUS: Bonus points to anyone who can identify the origin of Phil Oakey’s outfit on this page.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 5, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ed becomes violently upset at the thought of lessening the suffering of others. A good comic.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hempuli posted:

That's it for the GO-GO collection of ANSU cartoons. I have 2 more books of his stuff, which are mostly similar (although the third one's drawings are very sketchy and quick). Would people be interested in me scanning more of his stuff?
Of course!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I knew this one was coming because I saw it ahead of time. Was looking forward to seeing the reaction ITT.

The writer(s) of this comic clearly think Ed is the good guy here.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex Morgan's getting a little racy, huh?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

thisusedyet posted:

Rex Morgan's getting a little racy, huh?
No foolin' - even setting aside cockodile rock there, check out the lips on that moose.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, in which the Major works a loophole. (September 3-5, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (November 11-13, 1920, once again translated for the longhand impaired.)

AUNT EPPIE HOGG, THE FATTEST WOMAN IN THREE COUNTIES: Uncle Ben has to take off his shoes every time Aunt Eppie is to be helped into her heavy coat.

STRENUOUS BACKYARD PRACTICE-- which has made Jimmy the hardest, surest tackler on the football team.

PATHETIC FIGURES-- The young lover who wanted to lower the parlor window shade before his sweetie came down the stairs.

Dok's Dippy Letters Home (continuing the Duck's vacation with the Umbrella Man in the weather cartoon. August 18-19, 1914)

Tonight in Little Lefty, Blinkey demonstrates a political tactic that's a little too close to the present day for comfort. (March 15-16, 1938 (The paper didn't run a strip on the 14th due to a technical difficulty.))

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm Pretty Sure This Is What It Was Like Being Unable To Get A Video Card Before Bitcoin Imploded

It's Because It Makes You Look Like A BDSM Submissive, Rudy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 13, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat June 4, 1916

Little Nemo October 29, 1905

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm game for more ANSU.

In today's Blueberry: Campbell faces up to his deeds, or Ringo puts his face on for the big day, or Now, usually on these big hero walks to the showdown, they don't chat amongst themselves, Charlier - it ruins the tension

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 15, 1956)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Good lord, how dead that man is.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

17th Century, huh?!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cunnilingus wasn't a formalised language until then.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

It's not short of people ripping on it, but Jesus i *hate* that a good 60% of IL strips are "Skip sits at weird angle on couch with %FRIEND/GIRLFRIEND% and talks about looking forward to %POP CULTURE EVENT%

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/16/03

Brenda Starr 8/7-9/50

:nallears:

Smokey Stover 7/12/53

Everyday Movies 3/21/36

"Of course I know the names of all flowers. Why shouldn't I? Wasn't I in the millinery business for five years?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/3-5/41

Red Penn, huh? Russell Stamm, trying to think up a name for his new character, glances across his desk and sees...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rhymes with Orange Take Two

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Good lord, how dead that man is.

where are the kids in all this?

Tillicum would kill a bitch before he locked Aleta in a firebox.