Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A Bad King posted:

How does anyone afford to put 20% down when starter homes begin at $360k. That's over 70k in cash. What the hell is wrong with this world.

get a faang job op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

if you never ask anyone about buying a house then you just get your scraps of info from business news which talks about 20% because they’re talking to investors

the first time I learned that wasn’t needed was when I went to my partners stepbrothers housewarming party. he and his wife had a big house and I asked him “hey what did it cost for us to be here…not the mortgage but what did you pay so we could all be standing here and having a party” and he said ten grand……and I had ten grand in cash in a loving safe the whole time.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

spacemang_spliff posted:

also it's illegal to build anything but detached single family homes because olds and suburbcucks start going abloo bloo bloo muh property values as soon as you mention building anything but more suburban hellscape. this despite the fact that housing prices never go down and you could turn the house next to mine into a literal crack den and i'd still net six figures selling my 800 sq ft house

My last apartment is in the city and surrounded by single family homes. It's one of those newer 5 over 1s built a decade ago. The property manager mentioned they had to have a bunch of community meetings and reassure olds that they won't change the character of the neighborhood. It was completely absurd claim. One, most of the people in the apartment are under 40 years old, so it definitely changed the character of the neighborhood to drop in 500 younger people. Two, that neighborhood was known as a ghetto full of dilapidated houses until rapid gentrification in 2010s. All those single family homes only have any value because of that.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Mar 10, 2023

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know what you want me to say. Real estate has been an "investment" for as long as anyone posting in this thread has been alive. Everyone posting here also agrees that housing as an investment is wildly stupid, but we can't change reality.

The last couple of years are not unique. Home prices took a tiny dive after 2008 and then set their sights on the moon again by 2012, so "housing number go up" has not been an unforeseeable event for at least the last decade. Nothing was rationally priced four years ago, either.

edit- my house pre-pandemic was worth almost double its lowest post-2008 value. that's not rational. nothing about the american housing market has been rational in like 40 years.

Due to my age (xennial) a ton of people I know were married by '10 and they all bought houses in the '09-'13 window. Each of them had huge equity increases by 2016 and flipped the starter houses for big downpayments on bigger houses. Then everyone who bought in 2016-2020 saw zero increase in equity if not a decline, and the ones in 'starter houses' are still stuck there unless they had their job + life situation line up just right to upgrade in 2021

It really does come down to little windows of time based on your age, relationship status, job status, on and on. The neighbors who bought in '06 spent 15 years trying to get back to the equity they began at, if they even could. And the friends who bought at big ten college town off campus straight up just lost money from 2012-2020 (one bought for 80k, sold for 60k when had to move for work) because the city they chose got worse for whatever reason.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

get a faang job op

I thought they laid off approximately a quarter of the FAANG workforce because stock must go up?

Nothing works! It's a sham. We should be at midnight and not two seconds prior. This is infuriating. No one below the top 20% can afford to live without going into hock, much less live comfortably, and those in the top quintile don't even see it.

I have done everything "right," and yet I'm left with a third of my income going to childcare, a bit more than a third going to housing, and the rest going to survival. I can't be the only one!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

from local paper

quote:

A family earning the median income ($111,200) would have to spend more than three times that to buy even the median-priced existing home. That ratio has nearly doubled throughout the past decade as the cost of construction in the metro outpaced many other metros.

The median price of a new, single-family detached home in the Twin Cities is at a record $538,554: 26% higher than the national median, according to the real estate firm Zonda.

2011 crew

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

spacemang_spliff posted:

also ill never move again because I got my house at 3% interest and I can't afford to triple my mortgage payment every month and I couldn't rent an apartment for what I pay in mortgage.

lmao @ america

same and I'm stuck in Arkansas now, gently caress

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

from local paper

2011 crew

looks like I won't be making the move from Crotchfester to MSP. Hello...Detroit?!?!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

A Bad King posted:

How does anyone afford to put 20% down when starter homes begin at $360k. That's over 70k in cash. What the hell is wrong with this world.

Invest in the right tech stonks at the right time. That’s how we did it.

If we waited a year later we’d be SOL.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

My last apartment is in the city and surrounded by single family homes. It's one of those newer 5 over 1s built a decade ago. The property manager mentioned they had to have a bunch of community meetings and reassure olds that they won't change the character of the neighborhood. It was completely absurd claim. One, most of the people in the apartment are under 40 years old, so it definitely changed the character of the neighborhood to drop in 500 younger people. Two, that neighborhood was known as a ghetto full of dilapidated houses until rapid gentrification in 2010s. All those single family homes only have any value because of that.

yeah and usually "character of the neighborhood" is code. 5 over 1s are good but they're usually just built and there's no consideration for walkability or driveability so it's just more parking spaces. there's an area in my town that built a bunch of them but didn't do anything about the stroad they're built next to so there's a cool strip of mutlifamily housing and restaurants and bars near another area that is has a bunch of shops and bars and stuff but you still have to cross 4 (plus turn lanes) of 45 mph traffic. plus they're all still rentals

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

actionjackson posted:

from local paper

2011 crew

110k seems high??

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

A Bad King posted:

I thought they laid off approximately a quarter of the FAANG workforce because stock must go up?

Nothing works! It's a sham. We should be at midnight and not two seconds prior. This is infuriating. No one below the top 20% can afford to live without going into hock, much less live comfortably, and those in the top quintile don't even see it.

I have done everything "right," and yet I'm left with a third of my income going to childcare, a bit more than a third going to housing, and the rest going to survival. I can't be the only one!

Welcome to loser crew. If it is any consolation, you don't have to worry about much any more. The next noteworthy event in your life is your death.

More seriously, the "doing things right" morality play was always a way to divide working people along race and survivorship bias lines to keep them working against each other instead of the rich. Noted fat person Michael Moore predicted/explained Trump's victory by pointing out that people in the rust belt felt pretty much exactly like you do. That they were doing what they should be doing but their quality of life does not reflect that. I'm not saying you should vote for Trump, but people not getting what they want from the status quo tend to want dramatic changes.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

the mortgage insurance is the final economic turn of the knife

duck you institutions don’t charge me money for paying you money

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

the mortgage insurance is the final economic turn of the knife

duck you institutions don’t charge me money for paying you money

That’s like the big benefit of VA loans imo, more so than the 0% down which is a bit of a double edged sword

Should make that available to everyone if we’re going to keep the whole rotten system going

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

my pmi is like 40 bucks a month, which means every year we pay the bank the 480 bucks, which is about the increase in monthly rent from our last apartment 4 years ago.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

meanolmrcloud posted:

my pmi is like 40 bucks a month, which means every year we pay the bank the 480 bucks, which is about the increase in monthly rent from our last apartment 4 years ago.

yeah people getting freaked out about PMI just didn't do the numbers. oh, to avoid a $100/mo at most expense (so 1200 a year for 5 years) I need to save up another 80k? yeah let me get right on that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol i was always under the impression it was prohibitively punitive

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

I think mastershakeman is somewhat understating how much it can cost a month especially in higher priced areas

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Quick Googling has a ton of the lenders saying it's .1-2% of your loan per year in insurance, based on balance and credit score

Let's say it's a real bad 1.5% pmi and 600k house
5% down = 30k. Another 8500 a year in pmi, you pay that for 5 years so 42k that just goes into their pockets
Or
20% down. 120k. So 90k extra to save in those 5 years.

Pretty good deal to do 20% down! OK where did house prices not jump if you waited 5 years? 2015-2020 with perfect timing? Otherwise woops that house is now 800k and you need to come up with another 40k for the 20% down.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i say swears online posted:

it can easily be 300-500 a month

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Quick Googling has a ton of the lenders saying it's .1-2% of your loan per year in insurance, based on balance and credit score

Let's say it's a real bad 1.5% pmi and 600k house
5% down = 30k. Another 8500 a year in pmi, you pay that for 5 years so 42k that just goes into their pockets
Or
20% down. 120k. So 90k extra to save in those 5 years.

Pretty good deal to do 20% down! OK where did house prices not jump if you waited 5 years? 2015-2020 with perfect timing? Otherwise woops that house is now 800k and you need to come up with another 40k for the 20% down.

Nobody is claiming that 20% is better. They’re saying it can be an onerous bullshit extra cost

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it can easily be 300-500 a month

Significantly less than property tax in many places. It's a factor but so is trying to save up a hundred grand extra when prices keep going up up up

And we don't even know what these interest rates are gonna do

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Nobody is claiming that 20% is better. They’re saying it can be an onerous bullshit extra cost

100% agreed on that

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Significantly less than property tax in many places. It's a factor but so is trying to save up a hundred grand extra when prices keep going up up up

And we don't even know what these interest rates are gonna do

100% agreed on that

I think it’s also annoying that VA loans don’t have to pay it, and unless military types are more credit worthy (lmao) it’s clearly possible to make loans without needing PMI

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think it’s also annoying that VA loans don’t have to pay it, and unless military types are more credit worthy (lmao) it’s clearly possible to make loans without needing PMI

Yeah. I pay it and it sucks. We were going to try to reappraise to get out of it then had a basement flood that's taking forever to restore, so just resigning ourselves to paying til we hit 78% ltv.

The extra annoying thing is that banks whine about needing the pmi for insurance, but the heroes and cares acts shower homeowners in default with cash that gets sent to the banks for back mortgage payments anyways

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

there several credit unions that started based on that assumption for military officers

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

PMI is much more than $100 in most markets and it’s a pain in the keister

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Ammanas posted:

you save up. its strange to expect to own a home at 24 with no kids or whatever. my wife and i saved for several years and have the money to put down 20%+ and then the market went loving batshit and starter homes are selling for 450k. currently. with 6% interest rates. so guess what, we can put down the 20% still but cant RATIONALLY afford the payment. when people are paying 40% of their pretax income toward housing you've got a loving time bomb economy yet it just keeps chugging along.

i have a lot of animosity toward the folks who bought homes over the last 4 years.

homes as investment vehicles is part of what's wrong with the world, the remainder was 14 years of the fed ejaculating free money all over rich folks faces.

no partner but :same: on all counts

:smith:

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Good news! Dementia is really good at taking forever to finish the job and also requiring a ton of care. It’s one of the best ones if you want to see somebody’s assets complete consumed providing end of life care

Just push them down the stairs lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

PoundSand posted:

looks like one of those “come play my lord” adverts for lovely mobile games

come play my landlord

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah, the main issue with PMI is that it's enough to make homeownership unaffordable for some marginal buyers, because even a few hundred dollars per month will really matter to those people.

PMI is all but guaranteed to be a non-issue for anyone who can save for a 20% down payment. It may be a very large issue for people who can barely scrap together enough for a 3.5% down payment.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

y’all got a house yet?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i signed a lease on an apartment yesterday :)

been living in friends' spare rooms since 2019 and things're comin' up milhouse

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

y’all got a house yet?

ive been buying all the houses so you cant buy them

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

y’all got a house yet?

A few weeks ago I went to see a bog-standard split level listing for $330k. Last sold in 2013 for $215K. The back yard was quite literally subsiding down the hill and into the neighbor's yard.

It went under contract yesterday so I have no idea what the gently caress people are doing anymore.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I live in a fairly well off area, but every single housing development that's going up around here starts at prices where the mortgage alone would eat up ~50% of the net median household income for this city. It doesn't make any loving sense.

There's an entire development with like 30 lots going up on my street where prices start at around $650k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paradoxish posted:

I live in a fairly well off area, but every single housing development that's going up around here starts at prices where the mortgage alone would eat up ~50% of the net median household income for this city. It doesn't make any loving sense.

There's an entire development with like 30 lots going up on my street where prices start at around $650k.

I'm guessing that development started while mortgage rates were 2.8%, though? Maybe they're just betting that we get free money again starting next week.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm guessing that development started while mortgage rates were 2.8%, though? Maybe they're just betting that we get free money again starting next week.

House prices went up here by nearly 18% while interest rates were doubling.

Nobody is budging on anything and houses are still selling.

I posted about this elsewhere, but the same poo poo is happening with other "assets" like classic cars. There's a car blog I read where the writer laments that so many 1950s era cars are rotting because young people don't like them and the people trying to sell them will not budge on the price at all.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A few weeks ago I went to see a bog-standard split level listing for $330k. Last sold in 2013 for $215K. The back yard was quite literally subsiding down the hill and into the neighbor's yard.

It went under contract yesterday so I have no idea what the gently caress people are doing anymore.

A home in my neighborhood sold for ~250k in 2018 (back then, I thought that was the top-end of this housing bubble -- hah!), and is now under contract for $365k after a weekend. There were about 22 cars lined up on our street during the open house.

People want a home. I don't know who can afford ~$290 per square foot, but they exist.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't know when the plans went into motion, but they only started construction about two months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
When I had PMI up until 2020 I was pay $65 a month on a $190k loan.