Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Looking at the Nintendo Switch specs, the mobile CPU equivalent of the Tegra X1 processor is the Snapdragon 808, which was released in 2014.

If the Switch can run Royal, a relatively modern phone should be able to run a game based on the same engine but customized for mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought the main character was a cute girl... Disappointing

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In Persona 6, Ryuji swears every other sentence.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

In Persona 6, Ryuji swears every other sentence.
Because he has two lines of dialog in the game. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How many characters get spoken cameos in other games actually, from my memory, there's Yukiko in P3P and Chihiro in P4. Not counting the Velvet Room people of course.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah IIRC that's about it. For nu-Persona at least, just to preempt Gaius Marius and Neeksy :cheeky:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ApplesandOranges posted:

How many characters get spoken cameos in other games actually, from my memory, there's Yukiko in P3P and Chihiro in P4. Not counting the Velvet Room people of course.

I couldn't finish P3P in the end, so missed the Yukiko cameo, but when does the Chihiro P4 one occur?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

HaB posted:

I couldn't finish P3P in the end, so missed the Yukiko cameo, but when does the Chihiro P4 one occur?
During the school trip to Tatsumi Port Island. The P4 cast visits Gekkoukan and Chihiro greets them, IIRC. She's overcome the shyness she displays in P3 and her dialog implies that it's because of the protagonist of that game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Trish in P3 definitely counts :colbert:

Also I'd say Tanaka in 4 and 5 are more akin to cameos as well, since he has a more reduced role as time goes on, though you could probably argue either way.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lotus Aura posted:

Trish in P3 definitely counts :colbert:

Also I'd say Tanaka in 4 and 5 are more akin to cameos as well, since he has a more reduced role as time goes on, though you could probably argue either way.
None of those have any voiced lines, though, IIRC.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Commander Keene posted:

During the school trip to Tatsumi Port Island. The P4 cast visits Gekkoukan and Chihiro greets them, IIRC. She's overcome the shyness she displays in P3 and her dialog implies that it's because of the protagonist of that game.

She's even the new student council president after Mitsuru stepped down, so I just take it to assume she's executed Hidetoshi and Kenji at some point.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

She's even the new student council president after Mitsuru stepped down, so I just take it to assume she's executed Hidetoshi and Kenji at some point.
Eh, they both deserved it.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Tired Moritz posted:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's also an unnamed track kid in P3 who kind of resembles and is the same age as Ryuji.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I live in eternal hope for P6 for FeMC's return but not in this lifetime.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think it's about time for a historical Persona. If it must be pseudo-modern set it the 80's or something. Have it star Kiryu even.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

SettingSun posted:

I think it's about time for a historical Persona. If it must be pseudo-modern set it the 30's or something. Have it star Raidou even.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Honestly I'm not sure anything will ever match the glee of strolling around Tokyo and having everything narrated by the talking cat perching on your shoulder or hiding in your desk; they have to do something wild to keep up.

Also played a bunch more TMS, turns out there's a couple of ballads in there I do enjoy. Tsubasa remains consistently the best, and the player characters shtick of being told how special and important he is for being everyone's moral support and consistently responding "I didn't really do anything, you're the one who actually confronted your issue," is almost endearing, but I'm soured that every single female character falls in love with him and he is entirely oblivious. At least with silent protagonists I can imagine they actually turn people down, but Itsuki is textually unaware of his supernatural sexual magnetism and will not take a hint even though he can pick up on literally any other social cue. I hate this trope. :mad:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Honestly I'm not sure anything will ever match the glee of strolling around Tokyo and having everything narrated by the talking cat perching on your shoulder or hiding in your desk; they have to do something wild to keep up.

Also played a bunch more TMS, turns out there's a couple of ballads in there I do enjoy. Tsubasa remains consistently the best, and the player characters shtick of being told how special and important he is for being everyone's moral support and consistently responding "I didn't really do anything, you're the one who actually confronted your issue," is almost endearing, but I'm soured that every single female character falls in love with him and he is entirely oblivious. At least with silent protagonists I can imagine they actually turn people down, but Itsuki is textually unaware of his supernatural sexual magnetism and will not take a hint even though he can pick up on literally any other social cue. I hate this trope. :mad:

They should've just made him gay and have that be the reason.

Raidou doesn't need the power of a Persona to kick rear end.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

anakha posted:

Kinda bummed that Igor's getting a new Japanese VA.

I was bummed that they were writing Igor out of the games just because his JP VA died so this is good news for me. Hopefully they can get Dan Woren back for P6

SettingSun posted:

I think it's about time for a historical Persona. If it must be pseudo-modern set it the 80's or something. Have it star Kiryu even.

Gimme fuckin Ichiban as a bonus boss in P6. Also karaoke with your party members, throw in Baka Mitai while you're at it

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
A "Persona," hm? Maybe the girls at the Hostess Club would want to hear about that...

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
And it's not like megaten hasn't nailed the Yakuza tone before.

https://youtu.be/uSnQInvakqM

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Goro Akechi Everywhere System

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Infinity Gaia posted:

What the gently caress kinda phone do you need to actually be able to run that game on mobile? Certainly a better one than I own. Luckily it appears it's coming to PC too... For whatever that's worth, considering its chinese gacha status.

Honkai Impact 3 looks as good and that game came out in 2016, phones have been doing these graphics for almost a decade.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Scrap Dragon posted:

I was bummed that they were writing Igor out of the games just because his JP VA died so this is good news for me.

If they had to replace Igor they should have brought back Persona 1-era Philemon with his wobbly Poser model and booming 1940s radio announcer voice.

Neeksy posted:

Raidou doesn't need the power of a Persona to kick rear end.

Oh for sure just what popped into my head at the mention of "historical Persona game" and it'd be a sneaky way to stealth reboot the series.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm finally gonna do it. I wasn't gonna play 3 or 4 because I thought it'd be ti much of a step back but I'm gonna try 3 and hope I don't get frustrated.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It probably has some of the worst S. Links in the series to date, but also one of the best.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'm finally gonna do it. I wasn't gonna play 3 or 4 because I thought it'd be ti much of a step back but I'm gonna try 3 and hope I don't get frustrated.

Godspeed, friend.

I tried it myself after playing P5, P4G and P5R first. Tartarus is not good at being proto-Mementos, and the choice to adapt a version where unless inside Tartarus, you can’t actually walk anywhere was just bizarre.

Got to the 4th or 5th “big” boss and gave up. Too much tedium for me.

4G on the other hand, is great, with less QoL things to miss from P5/R

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
At least P3P port comes with modular difficulty settings. I set the exp gain rate to high pretty early on, and there's a setting to get a full party heal instead of a game over if your MC gets knocked out, which I definitely used on some of the tower bosses when the alternative was grinding.

It's missing a lot of other QoL features, but the "gently caress this specific challenge, I just want to progress" button is a big add and I for one am glad of it.

E:

HaB posted:

and the choice to adapt a version where unless inside Tartarus, you can’t actually walk anywhere was just bizarre.

As I've heard, it was based chiefly on this being the version with the female main character. They couldn't put out both her content and the FES engine without a full-on remake, and from what I've seen of the original set of social links, this was the correct choice between those two.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 18, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Neeksy posted:

It probably has some of the worst S. Links in the series to date, but also one of the best.

Play FeMC and you replace most of the worst S.Links while still keeping the best.

I can't really think of a compelling reason to recommend playing as MaleMC. I guess if you really want the models interacting on screen instead of the visual novel style.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think MaleMC makes more sense for the story and themes even if FeMC is the superior play through.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How so? I barely know anything about the male MC or his implied personality, but from my understanding (major P3 spoilers), he's kind of gloomy and serious while the female MC is bubbly and cheerful, and they're obviously both determined friends who manage to fully internalize the inevitability of death and carry on regardless. Of those, I'm far more compelled by the one who insists on having as much of a good time as she can until the end and going out with a smile than I am by the direct Jesus analogue. I also think that makes her a better fit for the ____Sun____ social link that I assume is the one everyone is alluding to as the best.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Good luck! P4G is probably the better choice in a lot of ways but 3 is still a good game with a lot going for it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I had a question about social links in Persona 5. If you hang out with someone and it doesn't up their social link level is it counting towards some invisible meter or should you only do ones that will go up when you visit them? I assume.the former but wanted to make sure.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I had a question about social links in Persona 5. If you hang out with someone and it doesn't up their social link level is it counting towards some invisible meter or should you only do ones that will go up when you visit them? I assume.the former but wanted to make sure.

So, in Social Link/Confidant events you get points for selecting dialogue options. If you have enough points you will rank up on the next hangout. Sometimes, there aren't enough points in an event to rank someone up, so you need to do an interim hangout to get those points.

Later, the Fortune Confidant will unlock the ability to spend money for points once a day, so you can do that instead.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've been replaying FES recently, really holds up pretty well. Game oozes atmosphere and the characters being allowed to have arcs instead of a single plot blip on introduction helps the team feel more like a group of people with differing interests and goals coming together over time rather than a generic friend group roaming from plot point to plot point absorbing the people it meets and stripping them of any agency or ability to pique interest.

If you're going FES there's a control patch that'll let you take direct control of the party as well as an undub available.

If you're going P3P, just from what I've seen, I'd tell you to grab the ISO and play it on PPSSPP. The Ai upscale they did on the Steam version looks horrendous.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah in terms of actual story and theme P3's is still amazing, it's just more of a gameplay/QoL and Social Link issue.

There was a video I watched that said that P3 has the best theme, P4 has the best setting, and P5 has the best story. Obviously that's pretty subjective but I think it's a good general overview, with whichever has the best cast being up to personal tastes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
P5 is far and away my favorite, but if we're singling out one thing each game clearly does best, I'd say style/presentation is P5's thing, moreso than story.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah P5 oozes style out the wazoo but I think that's also a partial consequence of it being a much newer game on a newer console, they were able to do a lot more and had also learned from the previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
P5 has a more ambitious premise and a more intricate plot, it just doesn't always execute it very well and the seams can get very obvious. P3's story is simpler but also more cohesive, and its themes are easier to work with in a mainstream work.

If P3's story has a major flaw is that its (human) villains are very underwhelming, but even then they contribute to the thematic whole.