Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psycho Landlord posted:

Everything you can get in the campaign can be gotten in career mode including the aforementioned nonsensical spoilermech, and the campaign also redistributes which conflict zones are considered endgame in a way that makes endgame less interesting and varied imo. This is on top of the campaign missions being untouched by various updates and just being boring grindfests full of ninja tanks.

Oh I didn't know it did that

Maybe I should scootch it over now then. Will it track the stuff I already completed or reset all that?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Psycho Landlord posted:

(Fr tho why does a clanner scout have a nightstar)

nightstars are very cool looking, this is all the explanation needed

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

RBA Starblade posted:

Maybe I should scootch it over now then. Will it track the stuff I already completed or reset all that?

I think there's some sort of import feature but most stuff will reset. If you're already a ways in you might as well play it out. Just be aware that if you have rasalhague and kestrel lancers you cannot put them off for more than a few months when they pop or they're lost forever, so if you're out in the deep periphery for that you might get hosed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psycho Landlord posted:

(Fr tho why does a clanner scout have a nightstar)

For the same reason Wolf's Dragoons had WarShips.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PoptartsNinja posted:

It’s this.

Also play the campaign because the priority mission rewards are way better than in career mode where they’re mostly a pittance

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

That actually does not track because the nightstar was a stupendously rare mech even amongst the guys who built it during the Civil War and the clans didn't steal the design to build a second line version like the matar either. The things were flatly extinct until like right before the fccw.

It's dumb to care about considering it's MW5 and lol about any sort of fluff compliance but it just stands out as the dumbest part of an already very dumb reveal to me.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 17, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah and while we’re at it, how ridiculous is it that a tiny diaspora of militarized fascists with no industrial base to speak of would do better at preserving technology than hundreds and hundreds of star systems, when the fascists ALSO had their own brutal civil war with WMDs?

Anyway, the Nightstar, you were saying?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I dunno if you think that's a gotcha but yeah the clans are dumb too. "The mechwarrior 5 writers crowbarred in their favorite mech in in a dumb way when there were better ways easily available to them" is not the same thing as weeb endorsement.

Like hbs battletech was GDL tier fanfic about the player character too, but it manages to maintain some consistency in doing so so it gets called out less. Mw5 pc is some dude's rpg character.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't really see a problem with crowbarring in a reason to play with a cool robit tbh

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The final campaign mission where you're defending against wave after wave of Atlases is awesome and probably the tensest moment I had in the game. It's a lot better set up than any of the regular defense missions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

I dunno if you think that's a gotcha but yeah the clans are dumb too. "The mechwarrior 5 writers crowbarred in their favorite mech in in a dumb way when there were better ways easily available to them" is not the same thing as weeb endorsement.

Like hbs battletech was GDL tier fanfic about the player character too, but it manages to maintain some consistency in doing so so it gets called out less. Mw5 pc is some dude's rpg character.

It’s basically that everything involving the Clans is so loving stupid top to bottom that a Clanner having an antique Nightstar is the most small potatoes issue to possibly focus on. It is by far the least implausible thing involving them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bet it sucks to be the clanner with the ancestral locust

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

To get into detail here, because A) I don’t know if I would agree that the campaign has less interesting conflict zone distributions and B) informed decisions…

In career mode the high rep conflict zones arenall heavily clustered around Terra and it’s surroundings. Practically speaking this means most of your employers and enemies are gonna be FedCom and Dracs. In campaign mode the game starts you in the Davion interior and you sort of spiral outwards going clockwise from lower rep to higher rep so the higher rep conflict zones tend to be at the Periphery.

Rasalhague, Taurian Corridor, that kind of thing. There’s merits to both layouts, career mode clustering is undeniably convenient. The choice is yours and yours alone in the shrine of the Silver Monkey.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Yeah the Nightstar was dumb.

Should have been a Timber Wolf.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

If they'd just had the balls to give you a summoner or something I would have respected it more, and also immediately binned the summoner

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s basically that everything involving the Clans is so loving stupid top to bottom that a Clanner having an antique Nightstar is the most small potatoes issue to possibly focus on. It is by far the least implausible thing involving them.

No, the least implausible thing is that they're all socially inept dumbasses

The late 90s or so shift from "the clanners are actually just better than everyone else" to "actually they're all terrifically stupid and mostly get by through sheer arrogance and material advantage" was pretty funny

Ensign Expendable posted:

The final campaign mission where you're defending against wave after wave of Atlases is awesome and probably the tensest moment I had in the game. It's a lot better set up than any of the regular defense missions.

Play the Kestrel Lancers stuff if you haven't already, that mission's gameplay is one of the rare highpoints in a mostly bad campaign but the Kestrels mission do it even better near the end

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 17, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I just bought all the DLCs yesterday, going to give it a whirl.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

I just bought all the DLCs yesterday, going to give it a whirl.

I just picked it up yesterday and it's pretty good so far!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think it couldn't be a Timber Wolf or any other omnimech because there's p hard canon that the Timber Wolf was first encountered in the Inner Sphere by Phelan Kell on The Rock around the date that the MW5 timeline stops advancing, and that it was the first omnimech in the IS. It needed to be a lost star league mech that went out with Kerensky rather than an omnimech. Also could Fahad have repaired an Omnimech? I mean, none of it really makes sense, but if you want to preserve the clan invasion for your next game then I guess a Nightstar makes some sense?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The only reason I'm nerdranting about it is because the Nightstar is one of the only Amaris civil war era machines the clans actually did not have examples of it. It was legit extinct. If homeboy had been in an annihilator or whatever it would have just been funny.

Like the "grievance" here is not WHY NOT CLANNER MECH it's "why the one lost assault mech the clans didn't actually have anymore"

Hell have that poo poo be an Atlas II that would have been hilarious

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 17, 2023

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Oh that makes sense, sure.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Reading the nightstar stuff on sarna I don't really see how it was extinct. Production started at the start of the civil war by the sldf and the factories were destroyed at the start of the first succession war. Not really seeing why they couldn't have had some with them when they left

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

wtf I thought they got nuked during the coup

E: Disregard everything I have posted I was incorrect about ~lore~

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psycho Landlord posted:

That actually does not track because the nightstar was a stupendously rare mech even amongst the guys who built it during the Civil War and the clans didn't steal the design to build a second line version like the matar either.

The Clans had semi-intact records of SLDF Caches and Castles Brian in the Inner Sphere. He probably pulled it out of a cache and thought "Yes, this will be less conspicuous than my Phoenix Hawk IIC" or whatever else, the same way Natasha Kerensky thought driving a Marauder full of Clantech in 3015 was the peak of subtlety (until she lost it to the Bounty Hunter in a game of chicken).

And the Dragoons proper thought bringing a jump-capable manufacturing space station wouldn't get immediately noticed (and summarily blown up).

Edit: Clanners are notorious for making really stupid choices, is what I'm getting at.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 17, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My complaint is that the Nightstar sucks and doesn't really feel like a reward for completing the campaign. I threw it straight into the bin after daddy's Vindicator.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It would probably be a contender for best mech in the vanilla game if Sleipnir didn't exist and was available in stores right from game start

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clans had semi-intact records of SLDF Caches and Castles Brian in the Inner Sphere. He probably pulled it out of a cache and thought "Yes, this will be less conspicuous than my Phoenix Hawk IIC" or whatever else, the same way Natasha Kerensky thought driving a Marauder full of Clantech in 3015 was the peak of subtlety (until she lost it to the Bounty Hunter in a game of chicken).

And the Dragoons proper thought bringing a jump-capable manufacturing space station wouldn't get immediately noticed (and summarily blown up).

Yeah nah I was wrong about when the two factories producing it were destroyed was all. I thought they got taken out pre-retaking of Terra, not during the 1st Succession war. My whole issue has been rendered moot.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

What are you talking about it's an incredible headshot machine?!?!!

And unlike Sleipnir you can deterministically get it, in case of bad luck.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Nightstars are fantastic, what the heck

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah about the only real problem with the Nightstar is that if you like to play in third person it has wonky animation and hitbox issues when torso twisting at full speed. But so does the KC, and also just play in first person :v:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 17, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Psycho Landlord posted:

My whole issue has been rendered moot.

There is a lot of silly stuff in the lore.

It's why my first response is usually to double down and try to make it even more absurd.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Nightstar has the same problem the KC does. Cockpit hitbox like a loving barn door. Other than that it’s an excellent mech.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

I bet it sucks to be the clanner with the ancestral locust

No way, you can rack up so much honor in that thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Marx Headroom posted:

No way, you can rack up so much honor in that thing

no, your other honor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finally into the meat of Kestrel Lancers now and boy Fahad might be on to something with these crazy "isn't every single thing we just did war crimes" ideas of his

Oh well back to firing the srms into the side of a skyscraper, like the last thirty missions

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It is official Davion law that you can't warcrime the capellans

Not that you're not allowed to, more that it's impossible

Everything could be a disguised urbanmech

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Finally into the meat of Kestrel Lancers now and boy Fahad might be on to something with these crazy "isn't every single thing we just did war crimes" ideas of his

Oh well back to firing the srms into the side of a skyscraper, like the last thirty missions

Kestrel Lancers is great because the missions sre fun and you’re also just completely unambiguously the bad guys every step of the way

Which is usually how it goes when working for the great houses but especially Davion

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Oblivious posted:

Kestrel Lancers is great because the missions sre fun and you’re also just completely unambiguously the bad guys every step of the way

Extremely obviously so lmao

It's great fun so far, really drives home how much better the game could have been if it was less procgen and more curated. On the plus side there's enough high value reward missions now that you never really need to do standard contracts, unless you're splurging on something

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Rasalhague campaign is the other end of the spectrum where you get the rare job that is morally spotless. Almost bewildering really.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Did a recent Roguetech update do something weird with weapon jamming? I'm having Medium lasers jam, and I'm having weapons I didn't fire jam now.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

They changed the jinxed trait so that it effects all weapons, not just those with jam chances. They're going to change it so that it only increases the chance to jam on weapons that already have a jam chance at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Even the base game occasionally has someone on the radio begging you to not level a city block full of civilians.