Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I mean, you can't have a sandwich without bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Chad Jihad posted:

I have always argued that the bun is an essential part of the hot dog experience, and the more bun the better. I have been excommunicated for my beliefs

In my area we make beer brats with giant local Italian buns. I do not like them. Good bread of course, but I rip about 1/3rd off of it and throw it in the trash.

You have to really monitor the meat to bun ratio.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The bun is one of the least important ingredients in the hot dog. It's a vessel to get the dog into your gaping maw without getting your hands dirty. I don't know if they changed it. It's always been incredibly small for the amount of meat tube you get.

I'm very upset about the condiments though.

This reminded me of one of my favorite commercials of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8xc4wuDB8Q

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

in the future, costco hot dogs will come cold and you will have to microwave and assemble them yourself.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Also it will be 1/4 lb. all beef*

*beef testicles and anuses

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

pencilhands posted:

Also it will be 1/4 lb. all beef*

*beef testicles and anuses

the near future... the end of the 20th century

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5a364JZDAw&t=46s

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
An open-faced and -assed sandwich

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Never did understand the general American disdain for beef offal. Gimme all of that good stuff. Preferably whole, rather than rendered into paste, but hot dogs are fine.

(Now, bologna, that's a different matter entirely. My stomach does flipflops if I even smell it, and I can't fathom why.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I learned my lesson about the cinnamon butter loaves, but not well enough because I bought the cinnamon rolls and that turned into dinner and breakfast.

Hands down the best cinnamon rolls I've had outside of a specialty bakery where you are getting it warm from the oven. They were so good I was scrapping the frosting off because it was completely unnecessary. Great sweetness and a strong cinnamon flavor in every bite.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

ShowTime posted:

I mean, you can't have a sandwich without bread.

This is Double Down erasure.

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Winix air purifier? My only concern is that the best place to put it from a ‘in the middle of the living space’ perspective is on a sort of small ledge my cats like to hop on, and I worry I’ll come home to it knocked off the ledge if they think they can still fit onto it.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
You're all worried about hotdog shrinkflation while ignoring the all too convenient disappearance of the onion dispensers due to COVID. Wake up sheeple, connect the dots.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hillary Clinton has all the onions.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bird with big dick posted:

Hillary Clinton has all the onions.

No, she emailed them to Russia in exchange for uranium she used to blow up Benghazi.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wendigee posted:

Sam's club has plastic cups of mustard and onions and other condiments... Chili flakes and parmesan.

I saw them when I was trying their food court. I had Pizza instead of a hotdog. It was not bad.

Can we ban this sicko

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Never did understand the general American disdain for beef offal. Gimme all of that good stuff. Preferably whole, rather than rendered into paste, but hot dogs are fine.

(Now, bologna, that's a different matter entirely. My stomach does flipflops if I even smell it, and I can't fathom why.)

This mf will eat an unprocessed cow anus but not a slice of delicious bologna

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't always eat bologna, but when I do I prefer Bar-S

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mahatma-Squid posted:

You're all worried about hotdog shrinkflation while ignoring the all too convenient disappearance of the onion dispensers due to COVID. Wake up sheeple, connect the dots.

Sam's club has actual diced onions in a cup

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

poverty goat posted:

Yeah, but do they have sauerkraut in a cup?

They used to have that here before the pandemic. :colbert:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

poverty goat posted:

Sam's club has actual trash for clown idiots and pedophiles

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Gonna go to Costco tomorrow to get eggs and kimchi and various goods

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Isn't bologna pretty much just hot dogs in a different shape?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

poverty goat posted:

Mods please ban this scum. Chinatown would never tolerate this.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Costco kimchi gives me horrific gas. Kimchi from my local banchan shop does not. I don't understand why.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Nohearum posted:

Costco kimchi gives me horrific gas. Kimchi from my local banchan shop does not. I don't understand why.

A kimchi for home, A kimchi for work

Which one is which? Well...

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Holy poo poo I'm at a Costco gas that is three deep pumps!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
And it's a poo poo show of people trying to parallel park into spots haha

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, but do they have sauerkraut in a cup?

They used to have that here before the pandemic. :colbert:

never forget what they took from you

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

SirPablo posted:

Holy poo poo I'm at a Costco gas that is three deep pumps!

I'm pretty sure that's standard at all of the Costcos in the Seattle area? I can't remember the last time I saw one that wasn't three deep. And we often have guides pointing people into the middle and front spots.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Imagine voluntarily giving money to the scumfuck Walton family

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Nohearum posted:

I was just in costco the other day having horrific gas all over the store

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Imagine voluntarily giving money to the scumfuck Walton family

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My washer/dryer order got delayed at least two weeks.

I'm sure Costco loves me, but it doesn't show it sometimes.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

halokiller posted:

its more likely the dog gets hit with shrinkflation than having the price raised

I work in the food industry, and actually for one of Costco's suppliers but not the hot dog company.

"Shrinkflation" won't happen with the hot dogs. What's much more likely, and what we're also seeing across the food industry, is a loosening of specs. So perhaps the fat content required spec is a certain percentage, that might be adjusted to give slightly lower quality but better costs. Or a wider range of manufacturing tolerances since tighter manufacturing specs cost more to maintain. Or they'll work on negotiations with their suppliers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
yeah, the bun is more likely to get crappier over time.

Actually, I'm not sure that it, and all their other bread-based products aren't just absolutely riddled with sugar now. I carb crash and need a quick 30 minute nap in my car after eating at costco.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

pencilhands posted:

Also selling soda from a fountain is essentially free money as I understand it.

I think I read somewhere that soda costs at McDonalds are like 1 cent or less in the aggregate and it's basically pure profit when they sell it for $1.39

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I think I read somewhere that soda costs at McDonalds are like 1 cent or less in the aggregate and it's basically pure profit when they sell it for $1.39

It's a lot more expensive than that, but the margin is still great for a restaurant item.

A 5 gallon BIB of soda syrup was around 100 dollars last I checked. I might be up to 120 now. Lets just go with 100 to keep things easy. 100 dollars for 640 ounces of soda syrup. Generally soda syrup is mixed at a 5 to 1 ratio of carbonated water to syrup. McDonalds actually sets their ratio to 4.5 to 1 which is why so many people like soda from there. The syrup ratio is higher (It has nothing to do with metal tanks, or any other crap you've seen on social media)

So 640 ounces of syrup at a 5:1 ratio makes 3840 ounces of soda. $100/3840 ounces is about 2.6 cents an ounce if we ignore the cost of carbonating the water, filtering the water, chilling the water, the equipment to dispense it, etc. A 32 oz soda has for the sake of argument about 20 ounces of actual liquid after accounting for ice. So about 52 cents worth of soda. Throw in another 2 cents for the cup and a penny for the straw, and a 32 oz drink raw costs is 55 cents.

Back in the day like 25 years ago when I was in the restaurant industry, a BIB of Coca Cola syrup was probably 35 dollars, which would drop it down to less than a penny an ounce, but like everything else soda has gotten expensive as well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I went to Costco for a r Kerrygold butter and got the jongga to serve with corned beef.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

made kimchi grilled cheese sandos last night. some nice sourdough, that whiskey flavored chedder, and kimchi (not the one with 2 ggs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

skipdogg posted:

McDonalds actually sets their ratio to 4.5 to 1 which is why so many people like soda from there. The syrup ratio is higher (It has nothing to do with metal tanks, or any other crap you've seen on social media)

As I understood it, that was only for the Sprite?