Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

goatface posted:

Have you tried telling them they can eat pizza at any time?

Please stop putting ideas in the workers' heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Never, someone needs to.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

goatface posted:

Why, is it on a bagel?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatface posted:

If I tell them to spend their own money on pizza I'll have a riot on my hands.

I'm distracting them with a staff day: mimosas, thrift shop costumes and brunch. But really that's a delaying tactic until we can find money for the pizza budget.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Buddy, it can be if you dream big.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

If it's good enough for the governor of New Mexico, it's good enough for you!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

If I tell them to spend their own money on pizza I'll have a riot on my hands.

Tell them to be more adventurous in their demands. Insist upon a fancy food truck and a variety of owls to play with.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pizza parties are always my favorite replacement for raises.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Invalid Validation posted:

Pizza parties are always my favorite replacement for raises.

Is the pizza inflation-adjusted?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Almost certainly because our wages sure as poo poo ain’t.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A gin tasting course, a big bucket of crayfish and a campfire.

Three types of pie and a milkshake bar.

Dozens of puppies and Lebanese food.

A variety of breakable objects, baseball bats and some safety goggles.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is the pizza inflation-adjusted?

oops all bubbles

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Barudak posted:

I have a meeting next week to explain that I sold almost twice as much stuff in a controlled comparative period. Lets see what happens ya'll!

Oh poo poo, you sold twice as much stuff? Knowing your company, that’s exactly what they didn’t want!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

owls to play with.

Nightmare poo poo

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My company announced a new position last Thursday in key markets, jobs can be applied for starting Monday! The postings close today, and still 40% went without an application so impromptu conference calls happened yesterday to encourage more people to apply.

No, it’s not a promotion so no pay increase. But a different bonus structure you could make so much money!

Also, feel free to apply in any market you want (no relocation costs to be paid) you can go wherever you want in this company!

Oh and your old position will not be backfilled, your teammates will be distributed your work, while you will continue to work with that team in this new position!

So stupid. The only way to not give your team more work is to apply for a job and relocate out of your own pocket. Except your old team will still get screwed when you don’t get backfilled. No wonder no one is applying.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 17, 2023

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Escape From Noise posted:

Nightmare poo poo

*Wet* owls to play with!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My sister used to work at a private zoo that had an owl you could pet and that was pretty cool. Also a wallaby to pet and you could feed some gators.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TaurusTorus posted:

The mental image of no employees paying and all the pizza being thrown out is hilarious to me.
They did have the presence of mind to require signing up and pre-paying. For extra fun you had to go on your lunch or break - we weren't given permission to leave desks for 20 minutes to go have the morale-boosting pizza.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is really common with government jobs. Basically there were regulations put in place after scandals about My TAX DOLLARS paying for a few senior people to hold a ten minute meeting over a weekend in Vegas, and as a result the office workers in the Fed Paperwork Factory need to all chip in out of their own pockets if they want a two pizzas in the lunchroom Christmas party.
I work for government, but state and not feds. We have a budget for such things, our director just actively hated every employee except for a select few. She left at the end of December and I haven't heard a single person lament her leaving. Our terrible responses to the HR employee satisfaction surveys may have had something to do with this, but no one is certain. She announced it about a week prior.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SubponticatePoster posted:

They did have the presence of mind to require signing up and pre-paying. For extra fun you had to go on your lunch or break - we weren't given permission to leave desks for 20 minutes to go have the morale-boosting pizza.

I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound like morale-boosting pizza at all!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i generally like a pizza party cause i'm getting paid to eat pizza :yum:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SubponticatePoster posted:

So they expected to get credit for... what? Ordering the pizza for you? lol

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Our HR guys will bring around popsicles on hot days because there’s no air conditioning in the warehouse. Except there’s air conditioning in our part. Still, free popsicles make me happy. They’re even the kind with two sticks.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I just got back from spending a week in the office with my new team and one of them has an undetermined something wrong with her. She has decades of experience with multiple companies, so she knows or knew how to do something similar to this AND she used to do a lot of vendor visits in her previous position; she should be good for this new team as we're trying to create vendor relationships as we move parts out of a failing manufacturing company. I'm a little worried now.

She got lost on her 1 mile drive between the hotel she was staying in and the office on the first day. She's stayed in that hotel and come to this office in the last year by her own admission, nothing has changed in that time and she obviously has a GPS on her phone. She declined going to dinner with the team on the first night so she could go to this lovely restaurant that has bread she likes. Not anything on the menu, the complementary bread served with meals. She spent the last few weeks talking about how this coming weekend she was going to have to drive around a bunch of her husband's friends, but this week she changed her flight so that her husband was going to pick up her and his friends from the airport at the same time. However, when it came time to carpool to do a vendor visit she claimed she got car sick if it was more than her in the car and she wouldn't go. It took me most of the ride to the vendor to put together the contradictions. Describing our conversations about work would take a lot of explaining, but she absolutely refused the idea of working in the program we need to work in because "it's not what I know" and apparently can't read drawings, doesn't know how our trade compliance works and her major qualification seems to be vendor relationship building, but I found out she hasn't even contacted any of the vendors on her list. I just about lost it at that point.

The highlight (lowlight?) came during the vendor visit, her supposed specialty. I arranged for a few of our team members to visit a site I used to go to twice a week in another life, and one we were now looking to park a good number of parts with. We get our temp badges and sit in the conference room with their reps and she says...nothing. Not a single word. Dead silence for the entire vendor presentation and no comments when I explained our reason for visiting, our team's mission and the prospects we were offering. Whatever, everything went smoothly with me taking the lead (something I wasn't expecting to do, usually the highest ranked or most experienced person does that and we had an engineer who was working for the company for a year before I was born), but on the way out she decided to tell them EVERYTHING from the current vendor to the problems they were having to the dislike she had of other vendors in a different commodity and finished by telling them they were going to get SO MUCH WORK from us because they had a very clean shop.

That's just about everything we weren't supposed to say. I had drinks with my boss and boss' boss after that and told them both that she needed to be monitored and may not last long on the team. I'm no longer even sure what we are expecting her to do.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Lazyfire posted:

I just got back from spending a week in the office with my new team and one of them has an undetermined something wrong with her. She has decades of experience with multiple companies, so she knows or knew how to do something similar to this AND she used to do a lot of vendor visits in her previous position; she should be good for this new team as we're trying to create vendor relationships as we move parts out of a failing manufacturing company. I'm a little worried now.

She got lost on her 1 mile drive between the hotel she was staying in and the office on the first day. She's stayed in that hotel and come to this office in the last year by her own admission, nothing has changed in that time and she obviously has a GPS on her phone. She declined going to dinner with the team on the first night so she could go to this lovely restaurant that has bread she likes. Not anything on the menu, the complementary bread served with meals. She spent the last few weeks talking about how this coming weekend she was going to have to drive around a bunch of her husband's friends, but this week she changed her flight so that her husband was going to pick up her and his friends from the airport at the same time. However, when it came time to carpool to do a vendor visit she claimed she got car sick if it was more than her in the car and she wouldn't go. It took me most of the ride to the vendor to put together the contradictions. Describing our conversations about work would take a lot of explaining, but she absolutely refused the idea of working in the program we need to work in because "it's not what I know" and apparently can't read drawings, doesn't know how our trade compliance works and her major qualification seems to be vendor relationship building, but I found out she hasn't even contacted any of the vendors on her list. I just about lost it at that point.

The highlight (lowlight?) came during the vendor visit, her supposed specialty. I arranged for a few of our team members to visit a site I used to go to twice a week in another life, and one we were now looking to park a good number of parts with. We get our temp badges and sit in the conference room with their reps and she says...nothing. Not a single word. Dead silence for the entire vendor presentation and no comments when I explained our reason for visiting, our team's mission and the prospects we were offering. Whatever, everything went smoothly with me taking the lead (something I wasn't expecting to do, usually the highest ranked or most experienced person does that and we had an engineer who was working for the company for a year before I was born), but on the way out she decided to tell them EVERYTHING from the current vendor to the problems they were having to the dislike she had of other vendors in a different commodity and finished by telling them they were going to get SO MUCH WORK from us because they had a very clean shop.

That's just about everything we weren't supposed to say. I had drinks with my boss and boss' boss after that and told them both that she needed to be monitored and may not last long on the team. I'm no longer even sure what we are expecting her to do.

Does she hate someone on the team? Very aggressively avoiding team building and social activities for a role that is supposedly social.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Nightmare poo poo

I don’t think they meant feral owls that were trapped the night before the party. Although that would also work, just to force the company to pay a company for decontamination of the office. Also, disgruntled employees could pay the handlers extra to have an owl do a dook on the managers keyboard.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bored posted:

I don’t think they meant feral owls that were trapped the night before the party.

I didn't, but now you mention it...

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Maybe she is a nepotism hire or something, none of her actions really make sense

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

It's genuinely frightening when you meet someone who doesn't seem to have an internal logic.

Either you or her or both you and her had a stroke.

She has a drug habit.

She's having an affair and most of the absences were excuses to run off with her partner.

Or as Chewbacca said, she's a nepotism hire and you're going to have to babysit her for the rest of your/her career.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

The thing about nepotism hires is, as the person on the receiving end of that hiring process...isn't that incredibly stressful? I would very much hate to be tasked with activities I was unable to deliver to. I would be mortified if I was a part of a team and clearly didn't match their skillset.

also it's ChewBECCA :ssh:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Nepo hire

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

“Person X isn’t trained for task but cases keep ending up in their stack and they’ve just had their fifth one today, can you remove that from their profile”

I can, but they’ve had that particular skill in their profile since the beginning of January and been assigned over 200 cases through it, so where did all of those cases go if Person X couldn’t handle them and why didn’t they say anything in January?

“They aren’t trained in it, thanks” *signs off*

‘Team Leaders’ in every company I’ve ever worked are just the absolute most loving useless form of middle management.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Lazyfire posted:

What’s her forums name?

Edit: ask her if her house has stairs.

Automatic Retard fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 18, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I work with a nepo hire. When I complained that they didn't have particular skills required for the job title that we share, my boss told me that:

1) "they have other qualities"
2) "they are a nice person so you should focus on that"

Guess who all of the things that this person can't do get rerouted to :jerry:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Decades of experience and making GBS threads up the standard role tasks suggests to me someone who's gonna be retiring soon and has stopped giving a poo poo.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

It's genuinely frightening when you meet someone who doesn't seem to have an internal logic.

Either you or her or both you and her had a stroke.

She has a drug habit.

She's having an affair and most of the absences were excuses to run off with her partner.

Or as Chewbacca said, she's a nepotism hire and you're going to have to babysit her for the rest of your/her career.

No, I'm the nepo hire if anyone is, completely leveraged my wife's connections to get this job. When talking to my boss' boss the other night neither of us could come up for a role she could fulfil. I am both a vendor relations person and know the purchasing system, but can also read drawings and create purchase orders. Neither of us can figure out what she does besides talking about her son who is my age and having a husband in North Carolina.

She also believes that upstate NY (where I live and she lived until recently) somehow outproduces New York city economically, which is...laughable at best.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Johnny Truant posted:

i generally like a pizza party cause i'm getting paid to eat pizza :yum:

A+ avatar/post combo

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bored posted:

I don’t think they meant feral owls that were trapped the night before the party. Although that would also work, just to force the company to pay a company for decontamination of the office. Also, disgruntled employees could pay the handlers extra to have an owl do a dook on the managers keyboard.

I really don't like birds.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lazyfire posted:

No, I'm the nepo hire if anyone is, completely leveraged my wife's connections to get this job.

So the company has a history of nepo hires.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

So the company has a history of nepo hires.

Not as bad as some places, but my wife has to rearrange some guys recently because someone was supervising their father in law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I really don't like birds.

Fair enough. How about you replace the bird rental with, like, puppy or sloth rental.