Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

You know what FPGAs and MCUs like? Corroded leads. Works really well.

LOL at no conformal coating on an electronics board that sits in a housing exposed to the gamut of weather conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

psydude posted:

Looks like GMLRS to me instead of JDAMS.

e: Or maybe GLSDBs? I recall Ukraine receiving a shipment of those.

The discussion in the thread tilted towards them actually being russian cruise missiles. There's often posts that show old or and mislabeled footage.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If this dude has the money, I say let him have it. Then just claim his bank accounts when he immediately drives it into a bridge abutment because he doesn't know what he's doing.

Some dude privately owns a MiG-29 for... some reason. He even seems like a decent enough fella as far as billionaires go (with the obvious caveat that every billionaire is a total policy failure and an inherently bad person).

https://i.imgur.com/NT1MLKT.mp4

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

(G)MLRS comes in pretty quick (Mach 2.5 from the below link which I'd buy), so no its not that.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/m31.htm

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

30k dead :stare:

I don't even know what I can compare that to

The US lost 40-50k in 3 days at Gettysburg. Ukraine needs more grapeshot

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

poverty goat posted:

OK but that's cheating because both sides losses counted.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

30k dead :stare:

I don't even know what I can compare that to

About 2 weeks of US Covid deaths at the pandemics peak

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Died with the war, not of the war.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That's levels of combat casualties unseen since at least the Korean American War in the 50s.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

bulletsponge13 posted:

The Korean American War

Who calls it *that*? PRC?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Who calls it *that*? PRC?

I did, because calling it The Korean War is reductionist to their history. It wasn't the only war fought there, and until I find a better term, that's what I'll use.

I am probably totally wrong, and there is a better term, but I work with the brain I got, not the brain I want.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

bulletsponge13 posted:

I did, because calling it The Korean War is reductionist to their history. It wasn't the only war fought there, and until I find a better term, that's what I'll use.

I am probably totally wrong, and there is a better term, but I work with the brain I got, not the brain I want.

United Nations Police Action

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bulletsponge13 posted:

Huh, Wikipedia has a specific article section about this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kind of like people in Vietnam call in “the American war”.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

The War of Northern Aggression.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Kind of like people in Vietnam call in “the American war”.

That's reductionist to our history. We've fought plenty of other wars in Asia.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:china: Resisting America and Assisting Korea War :china:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

fartknocker posted:

:china: Resisting America and Assisting Korea War :china:

Fuckin mouthful

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

psydude posted:

That's reductionist to our history. We've fought plenty of other wars in Asia.

Calling the Vietnam war is Laotian and Cambodian erasure.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Calling the Vietnam war is Laotian and Cambodian erasure.

Not to mention all of those USSR pilots that participated.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

beats the hell out of dogs trained on your tanks

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

By largest forces it was the China-South Korea War.

625 Uprising

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

beats the hell out of dogs trained on your tanks

Can you imagine the public outcry in America if there was video of Russians using suicide dogs?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Would tremendously increase popular support for assistance to Ukraine.

It’s like when you talk to people about how the Canadian government treated inuit over the years. Gave them numbers instead of name? Heh whatever. Residential schools? Those things happen. Forced relocations? Heh they did was they thought was best. Kidnapping people to take them south for TB treatment? Well intentioned!

What do you mean the RCMP shot their dogs? SOMEONE MUST BE MADE ACCOUNTABLE!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Borscht posted:

Can you imagine the public outcry in America if there was video of Russians using suicide dogs?

Eh, nothing would fundamentally change.

People who are already supporting Ukraine would be mad about it. The ones who aren't would just make jokes about "Biden spends 3.4 million dollars studying how to put a mine under a tank, Russians just use a dog"

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1636749981074743298

:bustem:

https://www.icc-cpi.int/news/situation-ukraine-icc-judges-issue-arrest-warrants-against-vladimir-vladimirovich-putin-and

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The dogs should have eaten the mobiks

https://twitter.com/georgian_legion/status/1612728188228050944?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

In mainland China, the segment of the war after the intervention of the People's Volunteer Army is most commonly and officially known as the "Resisting America and Assisting Korea War"

quote:

In the U.S., the war was initially described by President Harry S. Truman as a "police action",

STOP RESISTING

vlad has been arrested

for tax evasion

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 17, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

As far as empty gestures go I'm kind of all in on this one.

edit: VVV All in on that one too

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 17, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Now do Dubya.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

https://tamiyablog.com/2023/03/boxart-of-tamiya-25207-1-35-leopard-2a6-tank-ukraine/

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CainFortea posted:

The ones who aren't would just make jokes about "Biden spends 3.4 million dollars studying how to put a mine under a tank, Russians just use a dog"

"You didn't care about the Beagles that FAUCI directly ordered TORTURED but you care about these ones??? Partisan much, lib? :smuggo:"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

poverty goat posted:

That's overall casualties, not killed.

KIA over the three days were between 7,000 and 8,000.

No I don't know how many died of their wounds later on.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the lack of ribbon connectors is appalling this is some ancient electrical design

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

shame on an IGA posted:

the lack of ribbon connectors is appalling this is some ancient electrical design
Gotta remember that Russia hasn't had a large computer industry since 1991, so their engineers might be stuck in the '80s mindset.
I wonder if any of their equipment is running on MS-DOS, CP/M, or similar ancient OSs.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Gotta remember that Russia hasn't had a large computer industry since 1991, so their engineers might be stuck in the '80s mindset.
I wonder if any of their equipment is running on MS-DOS, CP/M, or similar ancient OSs.

Large part of what is considered western world and manufacturing industry is still running on DOS, CP/M and similarly ancient stuff. Almost all corporate data centers, and old systems, have that mythical "blinking box" which no-one knows what it does and why it exists, but you aren't allowed to even intensively stare at it because last time it stopped blinking people died and/or the stock dropped like a stone, or the production line was dead in the water for several hours until the box started to blink again. There is actually a niche market for people sufficiently skilled in programming with 50's, 60's and 70's stuff like Fortran or Pascal in the legacy maintenance cycles. I wish I was kidding but I am not.

But obviously you shouldn't build new stuff on top of that stuff.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 17, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

There was a photo of Putin in a meeting recently and it appeared his desktop PC was running Windows XP.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There was a photo of Putin in a meeting recently and it appeared his desktop PC was running Windows XP.

how else is he gonna play Sims 3

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I look forward to one of those censoring scripts that find/replace Russia with Moscovia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

Large part of what is considered western world and manufacturing industry is still running on DOS, CP/M and similarly ancient stuff. Almost all corporate data centers, and old systems, have that mythical "blinking box" which no-one knows what it does and why it exists, but you aren't allowed to even intensively stare at it because last time it stopped blinking people died and/or the stock dropped like a stone, or the production line was dead in the water for several hours until the box started to blink again. There is actually a niche market for people sufficiently skilled in programming with 50's, 60's and 70's stuff like Fortran or Pascal in the legacy maintenance cycles. I wish I was kidding but I am not.

But obviously you shouldn't build new stuff on top of that stuff.

I used to general IT contracting work and we had a customer 10ish years ago that made high precision F1 transmissions and the entire manufacturing line was still running off of some IBM thing that looked like a giant chest fridge other than the comically large vertical floppy drive slot. Like something out of 40k you pray to the machine spirit, anoint yourself in oil, and drop the 8 inch floppy in and hit the button that makes all the machines come alive. I asked the owner and it's because the line is all custom stuff and there's no comparable modern controller he could slot in. To get rid of the flopster he'd have to scrap and re-buy the whole manufacturing line.

Something like 90% of the F500 have COBOL poo poo running somewhere. As a counter to the finicky blinking lights, even after the sun swallows the Earth and explodes, there's still going to be some 70's era IBM big iron floating in space because it just won't stop running.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 17, 2023