Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

madmatt112 posted:

Bye bye anti-gay priest

bet that's the gotcha trap meant to expose liberal bias. you just discriminated against religion :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Junkie accountant is an easy out. I'd need to know more about what planet we're headed to before I get rid of the muscle. I'd also like to know what business the woman who only speaks Cherokee manages.

Are there other people on the other planet or is this it? These 12 are the hope of the human race?

Because if the other planet has 8 billion people on it and there's been regular transport between it and earth for the last 2000 years, which is what you would need to make this scenario remotely reasonable, it's going to change my answers. A LOT.

If it's just these 8 then it's the healthiest and youngest, period. There's no more politics or discrimination if there's 8 people left in the universe.

If the universe is populated with billions of other dipshits then, who the gently caress cares? Draw straws or something.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 17, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't have both the racist armed cop and the Black Panther junior doctor in a confined space for long, so ditch the racist.

Don't need Space Bill Donohue either.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mokotow posted:

I know this is the worst timeline and has been for a ling time, plus it’s the US, but still, after 40 summers of this bullshit my mind can’t comprehend how the answer to having schoolchildren executed by rampaging gunmen is a collapsable in-class bunker.

The actual form or function of the solution is secondary to the price of the solution, That bunker is expensive so it's a good solution

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a trick to determine your abortion beliefs, based on how many people you count the pregnant woman as

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Junkie accountant is an easy out. I'd need to know more about what planet we're headed to before I get rid of the muscle. I'd also like to know what business the woman who only speaks Cherokee manages.

Kick all of them out, leg room is king, baby

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

It's a trick to determine your abortion beliefs, based on how many people you count the pregnant woman as
That depends entirely on how long the space journey is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Can't have both the racist armed cop and the Black Panther junior doctor in a confined space for long, so ditch the racist.

He's got the only gun! What if we have to shoot aliens

This was presented as an ice-breaker for a corporate DEI seminar but idk if it's gonna do what they want it to do

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

steinrokkan posted:

Kick all of them out, leg room is king, baby

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Exclude the armed cop for safety reasons unless he's willing to relinquish the firearm. Let's not be silly here, a gun in a spaceship is just a bad idea.

After that, I need to know if these will be the entirety of humanity or if there's thriving colonies elsewhere.

If they're all that's left, then continuation of the human race is the priority, and that's going to require a moral framework that is appropriate only in emergencies. An outcome where my choices are condemned in history is preferable to one where history does not exist.

But if they're going to a populated planet, then I need to know if the passengers will have access to the initial list. If not, I would ask for volunteers to stay behind first, if there are too many volunteers, I'll draw straws to choose which volunteers stay behind.

If there are not enough volunteers, I'll use a similar random process to choose who gets left behind.

If they are aware of their fellow passengers, I think it'd either be random lots with no opportunity to volunteer, or I'd allow anonymous volunteers to stay behind, and with unanimous anonymous consent allow them to choose people who will be given a guaranteed seat. If everyone wants the orphan to survive, then the orphan doesn't have to draw a straw.

I'm really unsure about it though, because it's a balance between giving the survivors agency, at the risk of giving them a life where they torture themselves with guilt over their choices.

I don't know if there's a clean way to pick that's simultaneously fair and guilt/envy free.

Edit:
Oh no, I took this way too seriously and wrote a whole thing in the Picture thread :(

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
exclude the cop, homophobe, the Jewish 60 year-old because I just don't like his kind (uni admins), and unfortunately the novelist.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
This remake of Alpha Centauri is going in strange, new directions.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KORNOLOGY posted:

The Accountant's Wife's faction just got planet busters, this is gonna get messy.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cat botherer posted:

...the Jewish 60 year-old because I just don't like his kind (uni admins)...

Just assuming all kinds of genders up in here.

The don't tell you the genders of several of the potential voyagers. The accountant also isn't necessarily male nor is the med student, the novelist or police officer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Since the finest police officer the entire planet could find to put forward appears to be Derek Chauvin, maybe it's Sid Meier's ACAB Centauri

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Murgos posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KORNOLOGY posted:

Hm, let's take the cop as offering for the mind worms

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

What in the world does this mean

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

KORNOLOGY posted:

What in the world does this mean

I’m assuming northern Germany is more liberal than southern Germany

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bavaria is said to be the Texas of Germany so

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I heard Germany was a land of contrasts, but **** was better.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bavaria is often seen as the idealised version of "pure" Germany with a strong traditional culture, but Saxony and former Eastern Germany in general is the real hotbed of German Nazis today, so the map doesn't make much sense imo

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Bavaria isn't Germany.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Lmao at how small the Berlin metro area is

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Ah yes, the two actual genders, Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
WHO GOES ON THE SHIP?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/darreldrowland/status/1636819185501126656

Alright dude who named this animal, stop being extra

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

zoux posted:

That's dook

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

quote:

Other vernacular names include snot otter,[9] lasagna lizard,[9] devil dog, mud-devil, mud dog, water dog, grampus,[10] Allegheny alligator, and leverian water newt.[5]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not "snotter"? Get your poo poo together Ohio hillbillies

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

zoux posted:

Duh, easy. Seven fertile females and one fertile male.

It may as well be the Jewish University administrator because he probably has the codes to the space laser.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
gently caress it Racist Cop it is

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KORNOLOGY posted:

gently caress it Racist Cop it is

Just don't let them sit next to an empty seat on the trip. I hear they breed via osmosis.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
You don't need the one guy, just have everyone beat off into a cup before they get Left Behind and do artificial insemination.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The Earth dies tomorrow, so solve a word problem that assumes that chaos doesn't reign today.

Obviously the answer is whoever is absolutely necessary to fly the spaceship, plus me and whoever else survives the next few hours of Earth's last, greatest bacchanalia.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I saw "Discrete Uniform" first when I looked at this and thought it was some sort of formulaic answer to this....
because you just know that fucker racist cop is going to smuggle his blue onboard.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Murgos posted:

The don't tell you the genders of several of the potential voyagers. The accountant also isn't necessarily male nor is the med student, the novelist or police officer.
I hate all self-identified males (including myself) and also all uni admins and accountants. I would never insult any other genders with these crimes of being me, a uni-type leech, or a finance-type leech, unless they were one of these horrid things.

I genuinely apologize for assuming the gender, which as a gay man, is not great. That was an error. Individuals of many genders can be total pieces of poo poo, and being oblivious to that is a problem from many angles.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 18, 2023

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

zoux posted:

The entire country is affected, which is why people are so afraid of them, even though statistically a child is much more likely to be the victim of gun violence outside of school rather than inside of it. People can't process risk very well at that scale.
I'm gonna guess it also has to do with kids getting shot outside of school being poorer and/or minority members. So shootings at school get disproportionate attention.