Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Today's the first day in over three years that we haven't had either of the kids - both the 3yo and the 6yo are staying with the inlaws while my wife and I snuck away last night for a two day stay at a bed and breakfast...

And holy crap do i miss the two little hellions. Dinner last night was funny because both of us were still instinctively cutting up some of our food into little bits to share with them. The kids seem to be having fun in the updates from my brother in law but we're not sure whether they're asking for us or not. Uncertain if it'd be worse if they were missing us or if they just didn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My son is 24 months and I’m trying my damnedest to minimize potential bedtime bloat opportunities, since I know it’s coming and I’m really not looking forward to it. Like last night he asked for water and I said ok, but carried him to the sink and didn’t turn any lights on. I too will be crushed when he doesn’t want to snuggle anymore at bedtime.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

remigious posted:

My son is 24 months and I’m trying my damnedest to minimize potential bedtime bloat opportunities, since I know it’s coming and I’m really not looking forward to it. Like last night he asked for water and I said ok, but carried him to the sink and didn’t turn any lights on. I too will be crushed when he doesn’t want to snuggle anymore at bedtime.

My son is turning 10 in June and we still snuggle every night before bed per his request (demand). :3

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

sheri posted:

My son is turning 10 in June and we still snuggle every night before bed per his request (demand). :3

Aww, that is the dream!

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Mine turns 16 next month, and the few occasions where they will lean their head on my shoulder while we're watching a show or out somewhere are bright moments.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
My son is 8 and our routine is I read to him for a bit, he gets a hug & then solo reading time, then another hug plus his cold pack & meditation app at lights out. If I miss either of the hugs or the reading he is VERY displeased. Even if he's mad at me, I almost always get A Hug, But Angry. I would like this to last forever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Angry hugs are the best. I got a very cursory good-night because I wouldn't make banana muffins with her [at bedtime].

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 16, 2023

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
One of the best feelings in the world is when toddler is tantrumming and she says "yeahhhh" when I ask if she needs a hug. Most of the time she says no, but when she says yes the hug helps her calm down so much. Asking her if she wants a drink of water seems to help too.

Toddler is definitely testing the boundaries of the bedtime routine bloat, and we're probably giving in a little more than we should, but we she still gets the picture relatively fast when we tell her we're not coming back into the room. Daylight savings hasn't helped but it's not too bad.

We're down to just 1 more paci after having to throw out one of them, and this one looks like she may bite through it soon. She seemed to take it pretty well when I told her we had to throw away her other paci so I'm hoping that once this one gives up the ghost she'll be able to handle it.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
We had such bad bedtime bloat and we went through all these different techniques trying to get him used to just being ok with falling asleep on his own after some cuddle time. What eventually worked was doing the bedtime color light routine. We have a light that starts as one color and changes after a designated time has passed after the routine starts. Honestly, it worked like a charm, now we just need to shorten the cuddle interval. But now that the bloat threat has been almost eliminated, it's not too bad doing the current length.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
We've got that with our 6 year old now. Sucks having to re-sleep train.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

We were going great with bedtime. Out the door at 730, no problems, and she’d be sleeping 15 min later. This loving daylight switch killed that off, and it’s looking grim that we’re going to be able to convince a toddler that their biological 630 is actually bedtime. gently caress!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Toddler has this purple hat that is her favorite thing in the world (and of course once she decided it was her favorite thing Amazon stopped selling it), and daycare lost it today. She has it on in the picture they posted to the app so I know it's not that I forgot it this morning.

On the plus side, although she's a little young for actual potty training we do have a little potty for her room. The idea was mostly to sit her on it between when I get her undressed and actually take her into the bath if it's not immediate for some reason, so she doesn't pee on her rug. Today not only was she not confused and upset to be sitting on her potty, she actually peed in it. :toot:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My 3 year old only knows time in 2 week increments. If something happened yesterday or in the past it was always 2 weeks ago. Or if something is going to happen it’s always in 2 weeks. A young Donald trump.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I don't want to hear coughing anymore

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nachos posted:

My 3 year old only knows time in 2 week increments. If something happened yesterday or in the past it was always 2 weeks ago. Or if something is going to happen it’s always in 2 weeks. A young Donald trump.

We had this but with yesterday, for a long time. It was sometimes confusing before we caught on that “yesterday” only meant “in the past”.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wait until he starts using a sharpie to "correct" inconvenient facts

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
“I love you like blood in my heart.”

Thanks sweetie, I love you too! Uuuuh is this something almost four year olds say? Haha

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-64987074

Relevant to anyone with an infant.

”The BBC” posted:

Giving young babies - between four and six months old - tiny tastes of smooth peanut butter could dramatically cut peanut allergies, say scientists.
Research shows there is a crucial opportunity during weaning to cut allergy cases by 77%.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Yeah, the advice started to shift several years ago after researchers noticed Israel had a 10x lower incidence of peanut allergy, because they feed their babies the peanut-based snack food Bamba. Trader Joe's now carries Bamba and it does indeed make a great snack for babies since it basically dissolves in the mouth so you can't choke on it.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4416404/

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
We’re taking the kiddo to the renaissance festival tomorrow and I cannot wait to see how he reacts reacts to jousting.

Really hoping it does not involve trying to joust us.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Edit: ^^ it 100% will.

Yeah, target carries bamba too. They also had these pouches from happy baby that were a mix of fruit purees and various nut butters (peanut, almond, cashew, and walnut) to introduce the allergens. They've been a pain to find lately though.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

CherryCola posted:

We’re taking the kiddo to the renaissance festival tomorrow and I cannot wait to see how he reacts reacts to jousting.

Really hoping it does not involve trying to joust us.

A History podcaster I also follow on Instagram has been teaching his 3yo historical battle tactics, including jousting. Goddamn adorable. He does have chainmail though, I suspect that helps.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In addition to Bamba, trader joes sells a "multi nut butter" product for like $5 it has something like 7 different kinds of nut and nut type foods mixed together.

Starting at 6 months I was putting just a tiny dab on my pinkie and then smear a tiny tiny bit on her gums just to get her body used to it

The new peanut allergen strategy seems to be working though, in a school of ~100 kids none of them have peanut allergies

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Koivunen posted:

The end. I hope they can fix the problem tomorrow.

They’re a bit more expensive but ASP in the area is actually reliable and can get to you within a week or two unlike every other plumbing company up here that I’ve tried to get to my house.

Also I am done with snow and kids. I just want it to warm up so my kid can fly out the door and play outside.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Poor snotty (literally) 16 month old baby. I wish I had something to help you sleep! I know your nose has snot and you're coughing. I have no more solutions for you! Please sleep

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
The daycare teacher thanked me for raising the little dude to be a sweet and caring kid who is great with the younger babies and I am tearing up.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Academician Nomad posted:

Poor snotty (literally) 16 month old baby. I wish I had something to help you sleep! I know your nose has snot and you're coughing. I have no more solutions for you! Please sleep

They’ll hate you in the moment but you can flush their nose with saline using a nose rinse squeeze bottle. Or you can buy a nose Frida and suck the snot out.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

Academician Nomad posted:

We're dealing with the same thing with our 15 month old right now. Our daycare provider recommended these infant cough tablets that seem to be really helping. The brand is Hyland's and we got them at Walgreens.

Edit: seconding the saline solution and snot sucker! Those really help too.

Rhianasaurus
Dec 21, 2005

MistressMeeps posted:

We're dealing with the same thing with our 15 month old right now. Our daycare provider recommended these infant cough tablets that seem to be really helping. The brand is Hyland's and we got them at Walgreens.

What really helped us at night was putting a folded up beach towel under the end of his cot. Just the slightest incline stopped him coughing in his sleep. I was a bit scared to try because of SIDS etc but he was 18 months old by then and had just vomited in his cot from coughing so much :(

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Muir posted:

They’ll hate you in the moment but you can flush their nose with saline using a nose rinse squeeze bottle. Or you can buy a nose Frida and suck the snot out.

Yeah this. A humidifier can also help.

One other thing would be eucalyptus - not anywhere near their skin, but under the pillow or in the humidifier is ok. IIRC it's a mild bronchodilator.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Came upstairs to find that my 2.5yo toddler had

Found the remote
Turned on the TV
Opened Netflix
Turned on some horror movie

Thankfully I got it turned off before the opening scene got to the scary part, they were still setting up the opening scene opening dialogue etc

Do TVs have some sort of PIN I can enable? Bonus points if your advice is for a Samsung

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

do you have a high place he can't reach? thats what i have been doing with the remote and the playstation controller - its on top of the bookcase, no toddler can get up there.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When my kid was 18-19 mo she got the flu badly and it was awful, the only thing that helped her sleep outside of the nose Frida etc was me sleeping with her propped up on the sofa so she was mostly upright all night. I think I slept with her in the crook of my arm on the couch for like 2-3 weeks :/

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

The new peanut allergen strategy seems to be working though, in a school of ~100 kids none of them have peanut allergies

Same. Our preschool has 17 kids and none allergic to anything. It’s such a contrast to what older parents have told me schools were like 10 years ago.

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

:black101: Goblin King :black101:
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Came upstairs to find that my 2.5yo toddler had

Found the remote
Turned on the TV
Opened Netflix
Turned on some horror movie

Thankfully I got it turned off before the opening scene got to the scary part, they were still setting up the opening scene opening dialogue etc

Do TVs have some sort of PIN I can enable? Bonus points if your advice is for a Samsung

Don't know about the TV itself but Netflix lets you set a PIN per profile.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They’re a bit more expensive but ASP in the area is actually reliable and can get to you within a week or two unlike every other plumbing company up here that I’ve tried to get to my house.

Also I am done with snow and kids. I just want it to warm up so my kid can fly out the door and play outside.

That’s who I went through. They did eventually show up the next day, i was told I was first case of the day and to expect them between 8-8:30, they rolled in at 9:15. Anyway they were nice enough and got the job done and we have hot water again, over $2k later! Instead of shoveling a path through the waist deep snow to get the tanks in and out, they just used cardboard to sled them through the yard, lol. At my place the snow is officially above my daughter’s head, and that’s just the pack, the drifts are so crazy I don’t know where else to put snow if we get any more!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

remigious posted:

The daycare teacher thanked me for raising the little dude to be a sweet and caring kid who is great with the younger babies and I am tearing up.

This is so sweet! Congrats on your awesome parenting!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Koivunen posted:

This is so sweet! Congrats on your awesome parenting!

Thank you! :) unfortunately that conversation with the teacher convinced my husband that we should have another baby and we had to have a long talk about the many many reasons that is a bad idea.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If you chase two rabbits you will lose them both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Today my 8 year old recommended a potty training podcast to my wife's sister (who has a 1.5 year old) and wanted to tell my wife's sister how to potty train their kid.

Spoken from previous experience that she doesn't remember, clearly.

Of course this is followed by her sitting on my lap and grabbing my hand to catch her fart apparently.