Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to sort my library by date purchased? I just want to see all the stuff I got at this sale. Why is this so hard?

Not sure if it's as easy to get to in the Gaming interface, but if you go to Account Details in your profile, there's a "View Purchase History" link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to sort my library by date purchased? I just want to see all the stuff I got at this sale. Why is this so hard?

Generally, you can do this from:

Until you reach "view purchase history". No idea how this looks like within the Deck, but there's got to be a similar option to see your account info.

edit: I knew I shouldn't have bothered taking screenshots, got beaten to the reply <:mad:>

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The answer is no. The long answer is even if it did matter, you would never hit the bandwidth cap if you tried

Awesome, that's what I figured but just wanted to confirm, picked up two of those samsung SSDs to slot into two new 64gb decks for my Sister and Brother in Law.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quixzlizx posted:

Not sure if it's as easy to get to in the Gaming interface, but if you go to Account Details in your profile, there's a "View Purchase History" link.

Yeah but then I have to go scroll to the game itself in the library view, it’s annoying if I want to check out a bunch of them

It would be better if I could navigate to the game from the purchase list somehow, but it was not meant to be.

Saoshyant posted:

Generally, you can do this from:

Until you reach "view purchase history". No idea how this looks like within the Deck, but there's got to be a similar option to see your account info.

edit: I knew I shouldn't have bothered taking screenshots, got beaten to the reply <:mad:>

I appreciate it!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/11tulrt/psa_i_found_a_fix_for_people_experiencing/

quote:

Posted by
u/therealudderjuice
7 hours ago

PSA: I found a fix for people experiencing intermittent audio static/skipping/stuttering.
Guide
I play my Steam Deck docked on my TV 90% of the time and it nearly always has this thing where every couple of minutes the audio will break up and get all crackly for about 10 seconds. Not the end of the world but definitely annoying. After some Googling I found that I was far from alone and I read that this fixed the issue for many.

In the Settings menu, under System, enable Developer Mode. Then go all the way to the bottom of the Settings menu to Developer and turn off Wifi Power Saving mode, which is tuned on by default.

After changing this setting I have played for nearly 10 hours and not experienced the audio issue once.

Hope this helps some and I apologize if you already knew this information.

I thought this was a bad HDMI cable...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought that was just an emulator being janky lol

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Black Mesa runs alright out of the box except for loading sequences which pause a long time.

But more importantly, what setting changes the look speed because it is way too fast using the thumbsticks?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
When I install non steam games in desktop mode, like a GOG game, or Battle.net, what location should I install these in? I've been using a Games folder I made in z:\home\deck but I see now that it must be a small partition.

When a game installs to the standard C drive location, it's pretty much impossible to find when trying to add it to Steam and I even know where to look, but it's a bunch of random numbered folders.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just have Heroic Launcher install them, it puts them in home/Deck/Games/Heroic by default IIRC, though I changed it because I have a separate SD card for non-Steam games/emulation.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Had an issue where my Dreck would refuse to become docked for HDMI-Out (black flicker on usb-c plugin, according to Steam docs) but still kept charging.
Tried volume - and ... hold for 8 seconds to rejig the USB-C port, nada (though I just had to do that again today and it worked).
Tried a different HDMI cable, power cable, and then tested the dock on my laptop (worked).
Contacted Steam Support who got back twice within an hour, first basic stuff, then a suggestion to put it in Battery Storage Mode via BIOS/UEFI (which worked) or re-image (thankfully I didn't have to do this).

This sort've tinkering keeps my mind in a constant state of hypervigilance (which I would have anyway), and gives me something to do (so as to not actually play any games).

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Crosspostin from the Diablo 4 thread

quote:

game runs pretty good on a Steam Deck, 50-60fps in the overworld/solid 60fps in a dungeon with FSR2 set to performance and a mix of medium and low settings

Just needs Proton7-27. Any other version complains about a missing GPU, and 7-27 still throws an unsupported GPU error but the game will boot fine after that.

Has native controller support that works great out of the box

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

KingKapalone posted:

When I install non steam games in desktop mode, like a GOG game, or Battle.net, what location should I install these in? I've been using a Games folder I made in z:\home\deck but I see now that it must be a small partition.

When a game installs to the standard C drive location, it's pretty much impossible to find when trying to add it to Steam and I even know where to look, but it's a bunch of random numbered folders.

Yea one gripe I have is it is hard as poo poo to find gently caress all in desktop mode

Quick question seeing as I have bought all the hitman games like 3 times and also watched multiple YouTube reviews of world of assassination as it is now called can any goon who has played it tell me if this is a solid pick up at like 38 dollars usd? I feel like I will play the poo poo out of this on deck provided it runs well

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I refuse to connect a mouse and keyboard to my steam deck

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

SilkyP posted:

Yea one gripe I have is it is hard as poo poo to find gently caress all in desktop mode

Quick question seeing as I have bought all the hitman games like 3 times and also watched multiple YouTube reviews of world of assassination as it is now called can any goon who has played it tell me if this is a solid pick up at like 38 dollars usd? I feel like I will play the poo poo out of this on deck provided it runs well

Hitman 3 runs shockingly well on Deck, and is absolutely easy to get to running and looking good at 40fps locked for battery. When you say bought all the hitman games, you mean other than the latest three? If you've played 1 and 2 of the recent trilogy, then it's...probably still worth it, yeah, Hitman 3 ruled. But if you haven't played 1 and 2, then it is absolutely worth it.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Squiggle posted:

Hitman 3 runs shockingly well on Deck, and is absolutely easy to get to running and looking good at 40fps locked for battery. When you say bought all the hitman games, you mean other than the latest three? If you've played 1 and 2 of the recent trilogy, then it's...probably still worth it, yeah, Hitman 3 ruled. But if you haven't played 1 and 2, then it is absolutely worth it.

I bought the latest (1,2,3) on piss5 and have had a great time but I’m getting foot surgery at the end of the month and due to where my TV is located I think I could sink dozens of hours into this if was good on steam deck.

Got to Hokaido and spent 6 hours trying to pass the mission and I refuse to look anything up but tbh I mostly play high and something about that level made it a roadblock for me

I enjoy reading the hitman thread here the same way a guy hanging out at a mechanics shop would enjoy hearing the boys talking shop and nodding their head even though they don’t own a car

Also I was hoping there was significant choppiness or something because I think I gotta get it now but thanks 🙌

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CBD Corndog posted:

Crosspostin from the Diablo 4 thread

Just needs Proton7-27. Any other version complains about a missing GPU, and 7-27 still throws an unsupported GPU error but the game will boot fine after that.

Has native controller support that works great out of the box

Man if Diablo 4 works on the deck I should really get a deck. Locally they’re about $150 more expensive than through steam so $600 for the mid mod el

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the cheapest 2TB m.2 for the steam deck? I thought I saw one that was $150 the other day but maybe I was imagining it

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
The D4 beta is why I'm trying to get battle.net installed. I don't know how to locate it to add to steam as a non-steam game. I found where programs go when you install them to the C drive on the deck but I just looked through every one of the folders of random numbers trying to find b.net and it's not there. Should be able to sort by date modified but the newest isn't it. Linux file system is so annoying for basic usage.

I tried running the installer again but it just tries to launch b.net which of course gives an error since you have to run it through steam. From what I've read there is no uninstall functionality in Linux and you just have to delete the folder it's in, but if I knew that then none of this would be an issue anyway.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I bought my deck last week, asked for a credit for the price difference and they gave it to me. :toot:

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 18, 2023

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Does anyone else seem to have an issue where the console will do background downloads even if you’ve got them switched off in every conceivable place.

The game I notice it with is Fallen Order which might be some weird bug due to the EA Launcher closing making the deck think it’s allowed to download again? It might just be because that’s the only game that happens to chug when it’s doing background downloads though.

Also please stop temping me with hitman I have no money or space left on this thing but it looks like a real fun game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SilkyP posted:

I'm not sure if it's because of years of Windows experience but the Linux file structures blow my rear end and sometimes I can't even find poo poo that's installed and have to keep running the installer just to use the program because nothing gets added to the Start Menu.

Also uninstalling poo poo is a mystery (The only way I know how to uninstall stuff is through the Discover app store, and not everything gets listed there because... ?) but I'm sure someone will give me a terminal command to uninstall things that I'm going to forget the second after I use it so I can gripe about it again in some months.

I also chalk all of this out to being hilariously inept and stupid.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
Quite often uninstalling in linux is just "delete the installed folder", the real fun is working out which of the 72 "common" install locations something went into. /var? /etc? /usr? /bin? play the game lets go hunting.

Linux doesn't really have a windows registry equivalent, which is what gets all gummed up with stuff from installs in windows and means you need to manage uninstall with an exe that tidies up after itself.

On deck though you're generally gonna be dealing with flatpaks, which should all be hanging out in Discover. What have you installed that you didn't go through Discover to get it on there?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

That’s not a small partition that’s just the Linux version of what would be your C drive on windows. Some Linux turbonerd is probably going to :actually: this post but ignore them, for this use case and in the simplest terms it is.

There’s no separate partitioning being done for the parts of the drive you want to use, the only functional difference in paths and sizes would be between the onboard drive and a microsd card if you have one.

Just keep putting them in the z:\home\deck folder you’ve made and if you’re running out of space it’s because you’re filling the drive up, because well yeah you’re adding things to it and it’s not infinite.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 18, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, gently caress... I was wondering why Volume Mixer wasn't showing anything in Decky, and it turns out that the author lost interest and pulled it from the Decky store.

That loving sucks, I used it all the time, as I'm regularly doing voice chat on discord while playing. Before Volume Mixer, I'd have to go and change all of the audio, separately, in whatever game I was playing. Guess it's back to that now.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Suran37 posted:

I bought my deck last week, asked for a credit for the price difference and they gave it to me. :toot:

Just saw that shared on Twitter as well. Worth a try for anyone who bought one right before the sale started.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As is my duty as a deck owner, I was finally enticed to buy vampire survivors in the spring sale.

When I run it it asks me if I want to run in normal mode or something like GPU lag reduction mode or something similar.

Which one should I be using? I tried it in normal mode and it seemed fine, but I’m also level 0 and not filling the screen with monsters/stressing the game engine yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lord Bob posted:

Quite often uninstalling in linux is just "delete the installed folder", the real fun is working out which of the 72 "common" install locations something went into. /var? /etc? /usr? /bin? play the game lets go hunting.

Linux doesn't really have a windows registry equivalent, which is what gets all gummed up with stuff from installs in windows and means you need to manage uninstall with an exe that tidies up after itself.

On deck though you're generally gonna be dealing with flatpaks, which should all be hanging out in Discover. What have you installed that you didn't go through Discover to get it on there?

Several of the emulators that got installed with EmuDeck aren't listed: CEMU, Ryujinx, Yuzu and PCSX-2. I also installed MuseScore (music notation software) and the only way I can run it is if I use the installer as a shortcut to open it.

I also have no clue how to remove the "Install Firefox" icon/shortcut from the Start Menu, because that isn't listed either. I know this is all minor OCD poo poo because none of these take up huges amounts of space but it's still really annoying.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Under ellipsis menu -> cog (quick settings) there is now "rearrange controller order." That should solve some problems. Some games are picky about the controller slot.

Latest controller problem I had was in Dungeons of Nahabulek. It flipped the face buttons, but I couldn't find the option for "swap face buttons" in desktop mode--apparently there is no more "controller settings" menu that has all the controller settings features? I don't know how to get into the older more fully featured one. Might not be possible any more. Then it started thinking I was using a Dualshock.

The "use nintendo button layout" thing is always a struggle and a compromise. I'm using it 70% docked now and it might just be time to relinquish my lifetime relationship with Nintendo controls. Any of y'all about to buy the deck on sale I'd recommend getting an dreamcast/xbox-layout controller with a 2.4 dongle, not bluetooth. You could just decide to universally map the back paddles to the face buttons, but that's more of a kludge than a solution.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

sigher posted:

Several of the emulators that got installed with EmuDeck aren't listed: CEMU, Ryujinx, Yuzu and PCSX-2. I also installed MuseScore (music notation software) and the only way I can run it is if I use the installer as a shortcut to open it.

I also have no clue how to remove the "Install Firefox" icon/shortcut from the Start Menu, because that isn't listed either. I know this is all minor OCD poo poo because none of these take up huges amounts of space but it's still really annoying.

Looking at the options for getting MuseScore on their site .AppImage is the first one listed and if that's what you're running every time then it makes sense because .AppImage isn't an installer - it's the entire application packaged up in a state that's ready to run. It's more like the equivalent on windows of downloading a portable .exe file and just running it.

So if you wanted to uninstall that you could pretty much just delete the AppImage and you're done. There would likely be some config files left behind somewhere like ~/.local/share/MuseScore.

I've still not gotten around to messing with emudeck but I'm willing to bet most of those things have been installed similarly by the emudeck script - "install" by just.. download the appimage and put it somewhere and run it (but god knows where emudeck is putting those appimages, no way of guessing that other than just poking around in emudeck docs)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s not a small partition that’s just the Linux version of what would be your C drive on windows. Some Linux turbonerd is probably going to :actually: this post but ignore them, for this use case and in the simplest terms it is.

There’s no separate partitioning being done for the parts of the drive you want to use, the only functional difference in paths and sizes would be between the onboard drive and a microsd card if you have one.

Just keep putting them in the z:\home\deck folder you’ve made and if you’re running out of space it’s because you’re filling the drive up, because well yeah you’re adding things to it and it’s not infinite.

When I go to install something to Z it says 8gb free but if I change to install to C it says there's 300gb available.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I had a go at installing the Diablo 4 beta on Deck and I’m quite happy with it, considering how choppy it can get on my big PC with a 3900X and a 3080. I did have to turn the textures to low as otherwise it’d just fill RAM and crash, but it still looks pretty sharp and runs at a decent 50 in fights and dungeons.

The biggest challenge for it definitely seems to be loading stuff - even on my bigger computer I was getting stutter moving through town.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

uiruki posted:

I had a go at installing the Diablo 4 beta on Deck and I’m quite happy with it, considering how choppy it can get on my big PC with a 3900X and a 3080. I did have to turn the textures to low as otherwise it’d just fill RAM and crash, but it still looks pretty sharp and runs at a decent 50 in fights and dungeons.

The biggest challenge for it definitely seems to be loading stuff - even on my bigger computer I was getting stutter moving through town.

Does it have full controller support and everything?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah, it runs fully controller native. Installing through Lutris meant I had to hit “play” on the Bnet window and close it after quitting the game but otherwise it’s 100% controller. Feels great too.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

SilkyP posted:

Hitman is one of the Deck AAA must-haves like Doom 2016 and MGSV, but the series goes on sale constantly. I don't blame people for being confused. I just looked at the store page to see what Hitman 2's price is, but the game itself is delisted and in the "related" i'm seeing inexplicable poo poo like the non-dlc dubai level as its own DLC for really expensive wtf are they doing? Why is that even available?

Anyway, you'll have other opportunities to pick up the Hitman series. Don't bother right now! There's a metric ton of games on sale right now that rarely go on sale. Get those.

Other thoughts on the sale and my wishlist

-tactics ogre $35: still greedy on sale. pirate it
-potion permit: an 8/10 cozy nice game for stardew fans while not being a stardew ripoff. Coral island: actual stardew ripoff; demo seemed good
-placid plastic duck simulator for under two dollars: no brainer. also bee simulator to simulate bees $5
-type rider: a supposedly good game about fonts for $0.50 and i love font
-creeper world for a buck

AA/AAA for $5-10
Jedi fallen order
Middle Earth shadow of mordor for five and presumably shadow of war on sale too, which i haven't installed on deck cause it's big and i'd probably have to recover my Ubisoft login
code vein $9
some yakuza games

NOT AA/AA for $3
super time force ultra -action sidescroll
castle crashers
dungeons of dredmor
shadow fate - Jrpg

monster boy and cursed kingdon - action sidescroll $10
tabletop simulator - remove from wishlist due to developer homophobia
wooden ocean - trippy/freaky goon favorite $15

pizza tower? it'll be on sale someday

feel free to look at my wishlist and tell me what to buy and what to avoid https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561198124555876/#sort=order

EDIT: Oh, i forgot I read something on r/steamdeck yesterday. A post that says some controllers will automatically pair when you plug em in then unplug em. Can anybody tell me what this feature is called? wish it worked with switch controllers

Mescal fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 18, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

When I go to install something to Z it says 8gb free but if I change to install to C it says there's 300gb available.

What weirdo method of installation are you using that isn’t just Lutris, the sensible choice

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

What weirdo method of installation are you using that isn’t just Lutris, the sensible choice

I just downloaded the exe from battle.net and ran it. That's how I've done other games too and I install them to Z so I can find them when adding to steam. Since b.net actually tells me the available space, I noticed that change in size when switching from C to Z.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Say i'm in gaming mode in Chrome. Many times a day it will forget my custom controller button layout and load the default one. Then if i press the steam or ellipsis button it loads my custom profile again and it works. Why?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Postman posted:

Just saw that shared on Twitter as well. Worth a try for anyone who bought one right before the sale started.

I also got credit just by asking for it, so definitely worth it. My Deck should arrive early next week. Excited!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is brotato the same or different from vampire survivors? 3.99 is hard to pass on if it is a different kind of game, but if it's the same but with different skins type of deal, I might pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone needs to spend their money on the one true bro game, the GOTYAY, Broforce. Currently on sale for 2.99, down from $14.99

https://store.steampowered.com/app/274190/Broforce/