Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the day the last boomer dies should be a global day of celebration

wait till that hangover when you wake up to find that nothing has changed, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
they think the demonic settler orb in their souls go away when peepaw and meemaw pass away

it’s gonna be even worse after the boomers die cause they’ll be less resources for westerners to engorge on

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"can't wait till my world is run by dead-eyed psychos like kamala harris & pete buttigieg instead of those jerk boomers!"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone explain that thing where JP Morgan personally called all the bankers together to save the economy at the turn of the last century?

JP Morgan basically demanded letting him merge US Steel in return for staunching the Panic of 1907 caused by the Knickerbocker Trust Company loving up, and Theodore "Anti-Trust" Roosevelt was pro-monopoly in this case (supposedly one of things that pissed off Roosevelt in 1912 at his successor, William Howard Taft, was that Taft had the DOJ sue US Steel as violating Anti-Trust law, but the courts sided with JP Morgan/US Steel because Lochner Court.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So basically the plan now is to try and kick the can down the road for another couple decades until it builds into a major catastrophe and hope they're dead by the time the consequences of their actions affect people?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I went for an extended visit to Japan a few years a back to visit some relatives, and the cultural shellshock from coming back here to cops walking around the airport with drug dogs while terrorism warnings blared out over the PA and driving back to my apartment through the crumbling infrastructure and garbage piles and everywhere was pretty crazy, and I've lived here my entire life.

I was overseas for a couple of months 15 years ago and I too couldn’t get over how lovely everything was when I got back to the states. the roads all suck rear end, there’s police everywhere, the houses are all made of cardboard, billboards and lovely falling apart cars everywhere, no infrastructure except for highways and crappy fascist police run airports. garbage country

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Mar 19, 2023

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

biceps crimes posted:

I was overseas for a couple of months 15 years ago and I too couldn’t get over how lovely everything was when I got back to the states. the roads all suck rear end, there’s police everywhere, the houses are all made of cardboard, billboards and lovely falling apart cars everywhere, no infrastructure except for highways and crappy fascist police run airports. garbage country

a recent favorite I took for granted living here: the alcohol and biotech advertisement looped on repeat inside grocery stores

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I remember getting on a plane to the US after a long stint in east Asia and being shocked at how fat the passengers were.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
after living in germany for 3 years landing in st Louis was a bit a shock

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I remember getting on a plane to the US after a long stint in east Asia and being shocked at how fat the passengers were.

the plane, instead you were, in fact, getting into your own car

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

biceps crimes posted:

garbage country

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Can't even drink booze on the street here wtf

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
When I worked for a school district my office was in an adult ed building and it was a running joke that ESL students would be confused by and sometimes outright scared of our lovely, leaning above-ground power lines. These were mostly students who were either refugees or people coming from some of the poorest parts of their countries.

it was like a rite of passage for new esl teachers to eventually get someone asking why all the power lines here look like they're about to fall down

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://twitter.com/uniondrip/status/1636555614846603264

I... uh... why would you say that lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

"What are you going to do, set my city on fire?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
all he wants to do is immiserate working class people for the gain of the ultra wealthy, :qq:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_KHbU-BOLs

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Al! posted:

all he wants to do is immiserate working class people for the gain of the ultra wealthy, :qq:

"How could the former Rothschild & Co investment banker sell us out?! :qq: Also, why is he praising Marshal Pétain?! :qq:"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

a recent favorite I took for granted living here: the alcohol and biotech advertisement looped on repeat inside grocery stores

“what’s that?” I think as I sit in a chair on vacation anywhere but america
“oh, the deafening void of silence where phrases like, ‘ask your doctor!’ normally bellow”

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

boy there sure are a lot of tent cities and shanty towns and half burned out rvs in america right now ha ha

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Al! posted:

boy there sure are a lot of tent cities and shanty towns and half burned out rvs in america right now ha ha

so you're saying we need more cops to clear them out more quickly and efficiently

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I walked around the mall today it is still a bustling hive of economic activity. america cannot be broken.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

challenge accepted

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I walked around the mall today it is still a bustling hive of economic activity. america cannot be broken.

i recently saw the mall i grew up with in an episode of "dead malls"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_sucFpd6oc

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hes the leader of france whats the worst that could happen

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

no one in portland buys poo poo in person anymore it feels like. its all restaurants and internet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

anime was right posted:

no one in portland buys poo poo in person anymore it feels like. its all restaurants and internet

no one should have to bury their mall

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

"How could the former Rothschild & Co investment banker sell us out?! :qq: Also, why is he praising Marshal Pétain?! :qq:"

I hate when prominent political figures have connections to the Rothschilds financial firm because of the implications.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you're right tho i grew up in and spent 30 years of my life in portland and when covid hit i dont think people went back to shopping brick and mortar retail other than for food

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Horseshoe theory posted:

JP Morgan basically demanded letting him merge US Steel in return for staunching the Panic of 1907 caused by the Knickerbocker Trust Company loving up, and Theodore "Anti-Trust" Roosevelt was pro-monopoly in this case (supposedly one of things that pissed off Roosevelt in 1912 at his successor, William Howard Taft, was that Taft had the DOJ sue US Steel as violating Anti-Trust law, but the courts sided with JP Morgan/US Steel because Lochner Court.

Teddy was pro-monopoly because he correctly saw that Capitalism, in actual practice, leads inevitably towards monopoly, and that fighting monopolies would be an endless cycle for the government. So, he believed monopolies should be allowed to exist if they operated for the public good. There is some doomed legislation Teddy tried passing late in his second term that would have started us on the road to Communism with American Characteristics.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Malls need to be built on sacred ground in order to prosper

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

"can't wait till my world is run by dead-eyed psychos like kamala harris & pete buttigieg instead of those jerk boomers!"

im celebrating when i die.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
he didn't say that afaict

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Radirot posted:

im celebrating when i die.

too easy

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:hellyeah:

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

super sweet best pal posted:

So basically the plan now is to try and kick the can down the road for another couple decades until it builds into a major catastrophe and hope they're dead by the time the consequences of their actions affect people?

That was the plan 1.5 decades ago. Now is the catastrophe part.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i havent been to a mall in a while. the one here was ready to go bankrupt before they got an extension on their loan which they probably wont be able to pay back in the future anyways. it got a 30 year property tax write off when it opened and now they can't even afford the taxes on their massively underused parking lot lol

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 04:24 on Mar 19, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Dr. Furious posted:

That was the plan 1.5 decades ago. Now is the catastrophe part.

Yeah, we're very clearly out of decades on a bunch of different issues right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

probably the coolest guy of all time