Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part of the ICC is the branding. "International" criminal court.

It sounds a lot nicer than "EU court", or "Netherlands Court For Arresting Africans Outside Our Jurisdiction".

Sanctions didn't work, force didn't work, perhaps sending a sternly worded letter will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
an international criminal court for the international community, what's the problem?!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
thanks for reading my thoughts here on the international forums of discussion

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i have information that will lead to the arrest of vladimir putin

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Ice crown citadel

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SorePotato posted:

Ice crown citadel

we shall besiege it and obtain stormfury

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SorePotato posted:

Ice crown citadel

Best raid no cap

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

A V E Z A N O

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

king kandy = biden
lord licorice = putin
mr. mint = zelensky
princess lolly = ursula von de lyon
flufferpuffer = kadyrov

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://apnews.com/article/ohio-train-derailment-russia-disinformation-twitter-musk-49af27699727d6f4157a5d6d5f35819b

quote:

Other accounts brag of their love for Russia. One account on Thursday reposted a bizarre claim that the U.S. was stealing humanitarian earthquake relief supplies donated to Syria by China. The account has 60,000 followers and is known as Donbass Devushka, after the region of Ukraine.

dreaded russian propaganda twitter account with 60,000 followers

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Anyone who disagrees with the government narrative is a foreign operator. Don't question the narrative. Accept that your money is going to fund foreign fascism.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/apmassaro3/status/1636697382728368129

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://t.me/Suriyak_maps/478

The Russian Army continues to push westward north of Avdiivka.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Cuttlefush posted:

turtle watch?

Sorry I made a wrong turn at Tequila Junction and ended up at

personally I

tequila and driving are a bad mix almost as bad as

which apparently is also a real thing at the Akron Zoo?
https://www.akronzoo.org/tequila-n-tigers
“Toast a margarita to our tigers during this after-hours event!”

Needless to say there are many romantic books involving tequila, even without including Tila Tequila related properties. The beautiful world of tequila-related self-publishing is big enough for romance AND right-wing crank war novelizations, truly we live in the best of all possible worlds.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

https://t.me/Suriyak_maps/478

The Russian Army continues to push westward north of Avdiivka.

The Russians might be slowly winning but they're not a Great Power so it doesn't count. If they keep winning its not fair and I'm going to tell teacher.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

DancingShade posted:

My favorite part of the ICC is the branding. "International" criminal court.

It sounds a lot nicer than "EU court", or "Netherlands Court For Arresting Africans Outside Our Jurisdiction".

Sanctions didn't work, force didn't work, perhaps sending a sternly worded letter will.

ironic that the international criminal court only prosecutes people from countries that aren't a part of the international community

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As for the Spring Offensive, there isn't much forcing the Russians into one at this point, there isn't a big push by the Russian public to end the war as soon as possible, and if anything it seems like economically speaking things are getting better. I guess you could say "Victory Day" but I think Westerners have generally the wrong idea what the holiday is about.

Otherwise, it is clear the advantage in the fighting favors Russia, especially their use of artillery, and the Ukrainians are forcing themselves into a situation where they have to expend forces (and ammunition) at an accelerated rate. The only thing the Russians would lose if on if they waited is a shorter campaign season, but the current battle for Bakhmit could very well evolve into a broader battle for Chasiv Yar and the final defensive lines in the Donbass.

Btw, one thing that should be mentioned is that the last high ground in the area to the West is the ridge line running north of Chasiv Yar, and while this ridge is still controlled by the AFU, the growing Russian salient north of Bakhmut is expanding toward it. If the Russians take it, the would gain an elevated position to down on Slovyansk/Kramatorsk and eventually cut of Siversk.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

super sweet best pal posted:

Anyone who disagrees with the government narrative is a foreign operator. Don't question the narrative. Accept that your money is going to fund foreign fascism.

We have to fund it over there so we don't have to fund it over here.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

ironic that the international criminal court only prosecutes people from countries that aren't a part of the international community

I wanted to make a joke on this topic but realised the language used would be highly offensive to pretty much anyone unfamiliar with colonial era Africa, especially modern USA-ians. So we'll skip it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Boy do they!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSMKS33StM

It's the most American poo poo I've ever seen. They all live in McMansions and are very upset about The Culture.

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1637095837175037954?t=Ym0cEG_NOaPyJthOsUw11g&s=19

"Oh nooo a M113! Whatever will I doooo???"

It's so interesting seeing stuff like this and the comments to it. All these people honestly thinking that this war consists of Ukrainians with sophisticated weapons/vehicles mowing down hordes of poorly equipped Russian infantry.

Are they imagining Bakhmut as being like the movie 300 or something? Russia just sending hundreds of thousands of poorly trained conscripts into a bunch of elite Ukrainian operators, who are finally forced to retreat as the pile of bodies starts to hide the Russian advance?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Are they imagining Bakhmut as being like the movie 300 or something?

grosses me out to think about it, but there will absolutely be an alamo type myth formed about this and multiple movies. the scripts are already being written 100%

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

Every apc is a shitbox but the m113 is the shitbox

Wrong. It is a superior Machine of the West (MoW as we refer to it in "the biz"). Even the cheapest MoW is an insurmountable obstacle for a pathetic country like Russia, with armor impenetrable to even their strongest artillery and cannons capable of destroying 50+ Muscovites with a single shot.

One could even say, they "MoW down the enemy" ;)

edit: Seriously though, who looks at that video and thinks "drat look at this display of raw military prowess and might, no one could possibly stand against this"

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 07:00 on Mar 19, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

It's so interesting seeing stuff like this and the comments to it. All these people honestly thinking that this war consists of Ukrainians with sophisticated weapons/vehicles mowing down hordes of poorly equipped Russian infantry.

Are they imagining Bakhmut as being like the movie 300 or something? Russia just sending hundreds of thousands of poorly trained conscripts into a bunch of elite Ukrainian operators, who are finally forced to retreat as the pile of bodies starts to hide the Russian advance?

Yes. Charging the brave Ukrainians with naught but shovels as they are gunned down in the hundreds by sophisticated western assault rifles and automatic turrets like those RTS games were you have to survive rounds against hordes using only a handful of carefully placed emplacements.

If it helps remember the people spouting all this are in entirely different countries, frequently have no actual military knowledge and only know video games, marvel movies and harry potter for reference.

But what about all those books that detail these things from the past hundred years you ask? They only read harry potter, is your answer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

grosses me out to think about it, but there will absolutely be an alamo type myth formed about this and multiple movies. the scripts are already being written 100%

The next season of Amazon Jack Ryan is about a Russian plot to revive the Soviet Empire

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

GBS regulars definitely think so:

Budzilla posted:

The T-14 exists? Yeah that's about the best thing you can say about it.

The most modern tank that Russia has in quantity is the T-90 and that is pretty much an upgrade of T-72. It can't even use the modern ammo that was developed for the T-14 because of dimensions. Look what happened during the Gulf War when Iraq used T-72s against Abrams tanks. The Abrams platform might only be 10 years younger than the T-72 but the US has poured obscene amounts of resources into keeping it competitive. Now you are saying the modernization of tanks is more cost efficient? Russia is "modernizing" T-62s. In all fairness putting a thermal sight on to a T-62 isn't that bad of an idea but it won't do poo poo making the tank more survivable against Leopard 2, Challenger 2, Javelins and NLAWs. Russia can't make competitive modern military equipment and you trying to pretend otherwise is loving bizarre.

Vernii posted:

Good thing the Russian army isn't modern.

Vernii posted:

T-62s crewed by poorly trained conscripts armed with proletarian spirit are truly the apex predator of the modern battlefield.

NATO is axiomatically superior such that less than 100 leopard2s/abrams/challengers are war changing. Never mind how T-72s/80s/90s keep showing up in media from the Russian side besides the T-62s, the various ATGMs and their carriers, or that this isn't a War Thunder match where invisible walls stop your wundertank from getting a shot to the side.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The idea of being so naturally superior to [dumb enemy] that you will kill them ten to one with your plastic assault rifles, nightvision goggles and radios with a basic voice cypto module is not only hilarious but actually how NATO planning has been for a long time. Reinforced for a couple generations by only ever engaging against, well, camel riders and such. Non peer opponents.

Incidentally and entirely unrelated has anyone here ever seen the WW2 propaganda posters or writings in Australia or colonial England had regarding how genetically superior they were to the massively inferior, small, weak and short sighted (cartoon with glasses) Japanese soldiers? There were people at the time who bought into that and I have no doubt that (false) overconfidence contributed in no small part to the loss of Singapore and all other colonial properties in WW2. It turns out that merely wishing or slandering your opponent into little parody goblin creatures doesn't actually make that happen in real life. Then reality ensues.

I'm sure history won't repeat itself. Right? Right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Danann posted:

GBS regulars definitely think so:

Hey, they watched some Youtubes that quoted some defense contractors' press releases. That's called "listening to the experts."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

Hey, they watched some Youtubes that quoted some defense contractors' press releases. That's called "listening to the experts."

Plus they only know critical theory, not critical thinking. It's all we can expect.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

lol at the reference to the EVIL FASCIST SEESEEPEE

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

NATO is axiomatically superior such that less than 100 leopard2s/abrams/challengers are war changing. Never mind how T-72s/80s/90s keep showing up in media from the Russian side besides the T-62s, the various ATGMs and their carriers, or that this isn't a War Thunder match where invisible walls stop your wundertank from getting a shot to the side.

Granted, the Ukrainians getting T-55s was talked up at one point, it is about fantasy and just feeling your heart that you are better no matter what and no nerd talking about Soviet tactics is going to tell you any different. It is why people in the US worship Top Gun Maverick even though it has one interesting dog fight in it, because all Americans are Mavericks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

all Americans are Mavericks.

I remember watching a documentary some years ago about Hollywood and people who move there hoping to make it big, their agents, etc.

Man it explained a lot about the USA psyche.

A lot of unrealistic expectations, people who wished reality to be X instead of Y and also people not willing to settle for anything less that the highest levels of success, regardless of the odds. Suffice to say none of the people featured "made it" and I have no idea where they ended up. Hopefully finding a new path in life, in another line of work, in another state.

Not to say they didn't have what it takes, as such, but rather when so many people want the same thing your personal odds are vanishingly small and having a more realistic set of life goals would be far more productive.

But who wants to hear that, eh?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DancingShade posted:

The idea of being so naturally superior to [dumb enemy] that you will kill them ten to one with your plastic assault rifles, nightvision goggles and radios with a basic voice cypto module is not only hilarious but actually how NATO planning has been for a long time. Reinforced for a couple generations by only ever engaging against, well, camel riders and such. Non peer opponents.
There are actually problems with encrypted radios, supposedly. Chinese suppliers usually have 128bit AES at best or something? They also tend to fudge the specs and claim they do next level higher like 256bit. There's some guys on telegram constantly complaining about how he has to wrangle his contact at the Chinese manufacturer to cough up the exact specifications.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

There are actually problems with encrypted radios, supposedly. Chinese suppliers usually have 128bit AES at best or something? They also tend to fudge the specs and claim they do next level higher like 256bit. There's some guys on telegram constantly complaining about how he has to wrangle his contact at the Chinese manufacturer to cough up the exact specifications.

So long as you're only using them for very short term value comms like "go to point X in the next 12 hours before doing whatever" you'll probably be okay. That sort of thing isn't worth tasking a server farm to figure out.

But using them for things like "hey our piece de resistance magnum opus super wonder stuff is going to be in trainyard X on Y date, don't tell anyone" is a really bad idea. Whether your key still works or not.

edit - Problem is I think far too few people understand how all this poo poo works these days due to... rote learning? I don't know. There is value in a motorcycle messenger still.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Mar 19, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

speng31b posted:

the only good thing is that those scrips will suck rear end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DancingShade posted:

I remember watching a documentary some years ago about Hollywood and people who move there hoping to make it big, their agents, etc.

Man it explained a lot about the USA psyche.

I feel like "living your life in constant self-delusion" is probably a thing no matter where you live, and just happens to be more likely in situations where people have shittier lives.

I'm basically an expert in the topic of self-delusion due to my unfortunate experience with opiate addiction. Addicts generally either become hyper-honest about themselves and incapable of self-delusion (what happened with me after around ~7-8 years), or they just completely embrace the delusion. But "regular" people are nearly as prone to it, with many (if not most) living in a constant cycle of deluding themselves and slamming face-first into reality. If your life is materially lovely (which is more likely in the US than in most other wealthy nations), there is simply more of a need to delude yourself and a higher chance of "slamming into reality."

The internet and media exacerbate this by filling peoples' lives with anecdotes insisting that their delusions are actually reasonable. But the "need" for the delusion usually stems from some material circumstance (though not always - one of the biggest sources of this sort of thing is interpersonal relationships, like romance, and that's going to be constant regardless of socioeconomic circumstances). Someone with a fulfilling and well-paying job is less likely to embrace delusions of fame/fortune, for example.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Is there any rough sort of figure with artillery and what % of shots hit anything and cause injury?

I just keep coming back to all the talk of making Russia "waste their ammo" at bakhmut and such, but, I mean if they're firing artillery they're aiming at something right? And generally people seem to say they're firing off ~20,000 shells a day, sometimes they say up to 60,000 per day, who knows, but if they are firing 20,000 shells per day, and even 0.5% are hitting anything at all, thats 100 people wounded or killed every day just in the Bakmut area.

Is that an unreasonable assumption? Is artillery really just a wide and imprecise blanket and only maybe 0.01% or something ever makes any contact with anything? Is it higher? 1%? more? If its even more than 1% of them hitting anything, that is a sobering and frightening thought, thats hundreds of people, day after day, every day being ground up in all this.

I sincerely hope it is a very very very small % that makes any contact.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Making Russia "waste their ammo" is because The West (tm) doesn't value the Ukraine lives spent to "waste" it by having it fall on them.

Remember everyone outside of Western EU, the cradle of civilisation in their own words, is merely an uncivilised barbarian and thus nothing more than an asset to be spent.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

DancingShade posted:

There is value in a motorcycle messenger still.

whatever you say general van riper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

I just keep coming back to all the talk of making Russia "waste their ammo" at bakhmut and such, but, I mean if they're firing artillery they're aiming at something right?

nothing of value was lost - nuland-ishly