Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Quantum of Solace has one of the strongest endings in a Bond movie. I’d have to watch again to see how the rest of it held up, but the ending has stuck with me.

It also has a great opening scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No Time to Die is an extremely self-serious slog and the only part that’s remotely fun to watch is the brief Ana de Armas team-up.

I would genuinely rank it as my least favorite Craig Bond.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rami Malek is just boring, when that character could be super fun

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No Time to Die is an extremely self-serious slog and the only part that’s remotely fun to watch is the brief Ana de Armas team-up.

:yeah:

In some ways it felt like a Metal Gear movie except profoundly boring. How do you gently caress that up? Somehow they found a way to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txLSE7tpgr0
Saw this trailer before Shazam 2 and it looks completely loving terrible.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Looks like Italian Meet The Fockers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That isn’t supposed to be anti-Italian propaganda?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

live with fruit posted:

It also has a great opening scene.
Is this a joke

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Martman posted:

Rami Malek is just boring, when that character could be super fun

I came around on him within the runtime of the movie, he just wasn't at all consistent with what happened at the beginning of the movie.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

kalel posted:

quantum of solace is loving awful, what are you people smoking

It's pretty good considering, and even when it's not it at least has the courtesy to not be three loving hours long like No Time to Die.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Quantum has the extra that's sweeping above ground so it's the best of the sequels.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_x009KpRm0&t=263s

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spectre's ending was so bad it was hilarious. It's like something out of a parody.

I still just want a Bond movie to end with him fighting a Metal Gear.

Towards the end of Spectre, when Christoph Waltz hits a cheesy wall-mounted red button for whatever reason, my movie theater’s power died. It couldn’t have been timed more perfectly to the moment he slammed the button. There wasn’t a single light left on - no exit signs, no flood lights, nothing.

For a split second I thought the movie was doing some kind of immersive experience I hadn’t heard about. My wife later said she thought we were about to die. Things started turning back on after a couple minutes and the movie picked back up where it left off. I don’t remember anything else about the movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m surprised they started it back up where they left off. A power surge knocked out the projector when I saw The Wolf of Wall Street with maybe 10 minutes left and we sat in the dark for 20 minutes. Then an usher came in and said “We can’t start the movie where it left off, so you can either stay and watch 47 Ronin, or get a voucher.” We took the voucher.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I remember once watching a movie and the fire alarm went off halfway through and yeah when we went to go back inside they just told us sorry we can’t restart the movie from halfway and gave us all vouchers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My old-rear end TV exploded while I watched Fury Road.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Somehow they're still making live action Asterix and Obelix movies. I don't know what's wilder, that they've been doing it for two decades and yet only been able to make five movies, not even once making a good movie, or that Zlatan Ibrahimović is playing a roman legionnaire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBknYdEECsw

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Alhazred posted:

Somehow they're still making live action Asterix and Obelix movies. I don't know what's wilder, that they've been doing it for two decades and yet only been able to make five movies, not even once making a good movie, or that Zlatan Ibrahimović is playing a roman legionnaire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBknYdEECsw

It is possibly the most french thing possible to have your chinese characters played by french actors of vietnamese descent.

Oh and the reason they keep making them is that the first two were big hits at the box office.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are there any French movies were the leading man isn't old enough to be the leading lady's dad?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MrBling posted:

Oh and the reason they keep making them is that the first two were big hits at the box office.
The puzzling bit is more that it is a over a decade since the last one.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are there any French movies were the leading man isn't old enough to be the leading lady's dad?

Are there any american ones?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That's just a normal relationship for french actors

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

My old-rear end TV exploded while I watched Fury Road.

MEDIOCRE!

Actually that's just a sign of how awesome the movie is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Is No Time to Die that hated? I thought it was OK. Didn't even make it through QoS OR Spectre, which is pretty rare for me.

I thought No Time to Die sucked rear end. Skyfall has a couple moments and Spectre has like one moment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really liked No Time To Die, apart from the length. It felt like all the grim self-serious stuff finally had some self-awareness behind it (but not ironic distance), especially when mushed together with the campy-turned-somber 70s Bond tropes like villain secret island lairs and such.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I really liked No Time To Die, apart from the length.

More like All the Time To Die.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It’s really funny that Danny Boyle’s idea for what became No Time to Die was to make it a lighthearted Roger Moore style throwback.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

It’s really funny that Danny Boyle’s idea for what became No Time to Die was to make it a lighthearted Roger Moore style throwback.

Even something as simple as keeping No Time to Die exactly as what we got but with Craig doing the Benoit Blanc accent would have made it significantly better so I agree with Danny Boyle here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A View to A Kill rules.

Zorin was Right.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Spectre is the worst Craig Bond and it isn't even close, but No Time to Die is pretty bad. Overlong, self-serious (as you said), bland score by Zimmer, awful theme song, NANOMACHINES, SON!, and I really don't buy Swann being the love of Bond's life; Seydoux and Craig just don't have that level of chemistry (and the actors are 20 years apart in age).

But, still, gently caress Spectre. Dave Bautista is the only watchable part of that dogshit. Christoph Waltz tries his best, but even he can't turn vomit into gold. "Author of all your pain," my rear end.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MonsieurChoc posted:

A View to A Kill rules.

Zorin was Right.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I have to admire Christoph Waltz for adhering to the Bond movies' most sacred tradition, that the best Bond Villain actors end up in the absolute worst Bond movies. He can take his place alongside Walken and Lee.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I have to admire Christoph Waltz for adhering to the Bond movies' most sacred tradition, that the best Bond Villain actors end up in the absolute worst Bond movies. He can take his place alongside Walken and Lee.

And all three are named Christoph(er)! :tinfoil:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

That tracks. Bardem, Jonathan Pryce...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Spectre is the worst Craig Bond and it isn't even close, but No Time to Die is pretty bad. Overlong, self-serious (as you said), bland score by Zimmer, awful theme song, NANOMACHINES, SON!, and I really don't buy Swann being the love of Bond's life; Seydoux and Craig just don't have that level of chemistry (and the actors are 20 years apart in age).

But, still, gently caress Spectre. Dave Bautista is the only watchable part of that dogshit. Christoph Waltz tries his best, but even he can't turn vomit into gold. "Author of all your pain," my rear end.
Look, I didn't like Spectre either but I'll rewatch it 5 times before I go back to QoS

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Timby posted:

Mads breaks the trend, though.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Timby posted:

Tomorrow Never Dies fucks tho.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Tomorrow Never Dies fucks tho.

I've been meaning to revisit it because it seems like one lost to history. Goldeneye straight up owns bones with no qualifiers needed, World is Not Enough and Die Another Day mix laughable bad and totally boring, but while I remember Tomorrow Never Dies being good I don't remember much else about it.

Besides Jonathan Pryce hamming it up and the finale being set on some kind of stealth boat(?)

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Cael posted:

I've been meaning to revisit it because it seems like one lost to history. Goldeneye straight up owns bones with no qualifiers needed, World is Not Enough and Die Another Day mix laughable bad and totally boring, but while I remember Tomorrow Never Dies being good I don't remember much else about it.

Besides Jonathan Pryce hamming it up and the finale being set on some kind of stealth boat(?)

I'm guessing that the stealth boat was supposed to be a scaled up version of the Sea Shadow.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look, I didn't like Spectre either but I'll rewatch it 5 times before I go back to QoS

yep. spectre is bad, at times laughably so, but qos gave me a goddamned headache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Quantum of Solace would have been improved with this superior choice for its theme https://youtu.be/h6CoNUE5Zho